Following The Rap & Kids Threed

i,ll tell you one for nowt mate, you woudnt want to be called PUFF DADDY if you drank in some of the pubs round ere whistling.gif

ha ha...is spondon not our answer to south central la then...thought they were all uzi-d up round there? :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 70
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Back to the broader point we are getting old, agree that the majority, especially the stuff the media covers is awful and disrespectful, and the kids imitating it are scary, if a little sad, however sure they said the same when some of you were running around with your safety pins and Vivienne Westwood ripped shirts whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Cheers

Jock

i agree to an extent jock - there's always a tendency to give it the old 'wasn't like this in my day.'

but as far as i recall, 9mm pistols weren't punk fashion accessories - the worst you were likely to suffer from the average punk was a drive-by gobbing.

don't recall the great punk wars of the late 70s, either - though the idea of, say, joe strummer driving over to wattie out of the exploited's 'crib' and whacking him is not without its appeal.

the dangerous thing about rap isn't even the morons who make the stuff, it's the morons who listen to it and then act out their little fantasies, shooting people for showing them 'disrespect'.

Social source share

Been thinking about this, How about, The Dixie cups - The Clappin song . Now is that Rap, If rapping is talking over a beat, then it must be,

I'VE GOT A 40'S BIG BAND TUNE WHERE THE VOCALS SOUND A LOT LIKE RAP!!!

ANYONE CARE TO HEAR THIS??

Social source share

Been thinking about this, How about, The Dixie cups - The Clappin song . Now is that Rap, If rapping is talking over a beat, then it must be,

Miff - you're spot on. I've always considered the Clapping Song to be a rap record. Surely Shirley Ellis though?

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Guest sydney bridge
No idea myself. First one I can think of being an out and out Rap song is ' White Lines '
and it had a social message Miff."dont do it"not sure if i agreed with it though! unsure.gif
Social source share

sorry, i have merged the topics in the wrong order unsure.gif

can anyone remember the original title of this thread?

i change it back accordingly

cheers

Shane

ps. gill scott heron was the first to rap on a record if i am right?

The original title of the thread that i put up was " Rap Music & What The Kids Think Of Northern Soul "

hope that helps

Social source share

Have to say that this a great thread. I am a fan of hip hop but detest rap, the difference in my opion is that hip hip and hip hop culture originated with Dj's finding breaks etc that they could , cut, scratch, juggle, loop & whatever to create a party jam with.

Because of this the records they used were from a wide range of genres not least funk and soul. These Dj's and records are how i and many of my freinds were intruduced to the joys of soul along with many other styles of music i would not normally have been exsposed to.

Rap on the other hand once again in my opinion is all about the rapper, who whilst they may claim to be influenced by artists like the last poets or gil scott heron lyrically are normally socially maladjusted ego manaics who can do nothing other than spread bad vibes and are pretty offensive individuals influenced by nothing than money.

People like puff daddy, etc make my blood boil as they are far removed from what i believe the original culture was all about. unsure.gif

The shift away from Dj's to rappers as the main focus of this culture has, in my opinion had a negitive effect as the emphasise has moved from the music which if you listen to older/old school hip hop was influenced by all manner of great artists from all genres all be it stolen or sampled wholesale in some cases, which i know some people disagree with (and rightly so if no royalities are paid to the original artist) was still great music, which a lot of people of my generation had never heard before and became the catalist for me and others like me searching out the originals and trying to learn more about the music.

Sorry if the above winds any one up but felt i had to say something. :thumbsup:

Fragg, If it does Wind anyone up they shouldn't be on the site !! This is what the site is all about, friendly banter & expressing an opinion ( along with all the other fantastic information it provides) So say what you feel !

It was a well put point anyway :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

The clapping song would be the happy slapping song now :shades:
Surely RAP is spoken words relating to everyday situations over a musical background and as such you can find definitions of RAP music over the decades.

From a northern soul point of view the following could be classed as RAP records, I'm sure there plenty more.

E Roney Jones - R&B Time

Detroit Executives - Cool Off :shades:

Social source share

Fragg, If it does Wind anyone up they shouldn't be on the site !! This is what the site is all about, friendly banter & expressing an opinion ( along with all the other fantastic information it provides) So say what you feel !

It was a well put point anyway :shades:

Cheers, I dont generally post so am probably just a bit nervous. Prefer to lurk and learn :shades:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Surely RAP is spoken words relating to everyday situations over a musical background and as such you can find definitions of RAP music over the decades.

From a northern soul point of view the following could be classed as RAP records, I'm sure there plenty more.

E Roney Jones - R&B Time

Detroit Executives - Cool Off :shades:

Skip Mahoney "Janice" in the middle bit he says "let me get myself together and see if I can rap to this chick"

James Fountain "Seven day lover" - "Well I can rap..my rap is outasite.."

Social source share

Skip Mahoney "Janice" in the middle bit he says "let me get myself together and see if I can rap to this chick"

Prince George "Wrong Crowd " Spings to my mind But thats a song with a Rap in it as opposed to a Rapping song, If you get my drift

Social source share

i agree to an extent jock - there's always a tendency to give it the old 'wasn't like this in my day.'

but as far as i recall, 9mm pistols weren't punk fashion accessories - the worst you were likely to suffer from the average punk was a drive-by gobbing.

don't recall the great punk wars of the late 70s, either - though the idea of, say, joe strummer driving over to wattie out of the exploited's 'crib' and whacking him is not without its appeal.

the dangerous thing about rap isn't even the morons who make the stuff, it's the morons who listen to it and then act out their little fantasies, shooting people for showing them 'disrespect'.

Yeah fair point.

Tangent slightly but was Watty the big guy in exploited? If so he worked in a record shop in Edinburgh for years, I nearly got lynched in there as somebody told me in my young days that you get some decent records in there, walked in day after Clouds allnighter with 40" bags on (only time I wore them, couldn't believe how bad they looked) to find loads of mohicaned gentleman giving me a fixed stare. Try runnning in said bags, not easy!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Rap comes from the word rapport; in order to get on well with the ladies i.e. a good rapport, you had to have the gift of the gab and some good chat-up lines unique to the individual, and the better the persons' 'rap' the more succesful in the lurv stakes. As time's gone by this 'rapport' had been extendent to artist : audience, and now anyone and their homies. Some where, I've got a unreleased 60's / ? Motown track and the singer states he can't get started on the track until he gets his rapport sorted!

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

what do you reckon? :shades:

as i thought!

you guys should open up a little bit to music that borderes to this specific kind of music,i get the feeling that this is a great forum about a wonderfull kind of music but that you are a bit narrowminded about how soul should sound,forgive me the use of that word it could hurt some here on the board please don't think i feel as if you are really narrowminded but you guys should open up a littlebit to other music that allso came from the roots music soul came from.like souljazz now there could be not one note sung but it's still soul i think!

when charly parker recorded his "strings" album he did summertime very soulfull and did not sing one note,when jimmy smith recorded "the cat"he too did not sing one note but it was played soulfull,so thats why i think this music has soul.

i know you would propably say well this is not the place to discuss these other styles but that would be a shame.

allso i feel a bit of fear when a record is recentley recorded,but the date of a song does not mean its not soulfull,it means it sound new it can't sound like a record did in 1967!

and i really don't mean rick astley this is just a voice i loved from when i was a teenager and still love!

its about music from 40's 50's but allso from 2000+

there is soul to be found there,please don't exclude it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!