Favourite all time

Briles

I know they'll perhaps vary week to week, month to month, year decade, etc, but wots your current fav.

Mine deffo - Johhny Caswell - You don't love me any more - sooo soulful, even right at the end he's giving it at the fade out. Heard it first 30 odd years ago, still love it. I'm a dinosaur, time to move on, not progressive, help me - (al wilson) ??

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Faves at mo probably Choice of Colour or Freddy Hymes (which I have just swapped for - well not yet eh Mr. Dyson - in the post to you as we speak!)

Fave all-time would have to be High Keyes...or maybe Majestics...or maybe Don Gardner (Is This Really love)...or maybe Four Voices...or maybe Johnny Caswell (impecible taste Mr. Briles - smashin' record!)...or maybe Bob 'n' Fred...or maybe mel britt...really can't decide...

And like most here, I could list maybe 50 of 'all-time' faves, as I could with 'faves of moment'.

And yes, impecible (?) is a word I cannot spell...as if you hadn't noticed!

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Ok the system at work is down so i CAN'T work, whoooo-hooooooo...

All-time 5:

Guitar Ray "wreck my life"

Spyder Turner "can't make it anymore"

Roosevelt Matthews "diggin' you"

Bob & Fred "on my way"

Bobby Reed "time is right for love"

best

Leo

Social source share

Ok the system at work is down so i CAN'T work, whoooo-hooooooo...

All-time 5:

Guitar Ray "wreck my life"

Spyder Turner "can't make it anymore"

Roosevelt Matthews "diggin' you"

Bob & Fred "on my way"

Bobby Reed "time is right for love"

best

Leo

Spyder Turner has got to be the best Cheapie ever... (Well I think it is anyway..)

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Spyder Turner has got to be the best Cheapie ever... (Well I think it is anyway..)

Ooh yeah i know.. 2 good 2 b true..

Also i think Bobby Reed has to be on 6th place and Soul bros. inc. "pyramid" is the 5th place..

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Majestics - I lover her so much....

'nuff said.

Close call nearly named this one myself Dobie, but i really would have to say fave all time record because i just can't get it out of my head is also my current fave

Tolbert - I got it - Rojac

If you are talking strictly Northern then i guess it would have to be

Del-Larks - Job Opening - Queen City

Although as Billy says there are hundreds really...........

Hey fang yooooooow

ooops sorry (evil laughter for no apparent reason) Mwahahoarrrrrrrrr

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Tolbert - I got it - Rojac

Ooooh what a bassline.. this is utterly good (and rare of course..)..

Must say fave boogie has to be Clausel "let me love you" (UpRight) still not tired of hearing this..

best

Leo

Social source share

Good choice J-O-T (surprisingly! lol) Tolbert but I'd have to include Trace Of Smoke 'Treasure Mind' or maybe Sunshine Band 'Fly Away' or perhaps Tony Akien & Future 2000 'Good Things', hang on what about Executive Force or......b****cks, it's bleeding endless and almost impossible, and I haven't even touched the 60's newies side yet!

Social source share

Ooh yeah i know.. 2 good 2 b true..

Also i think Bobby Reed has to be on 6th place and Soul bros. inc. "pyramid" is the 5th place..

best

Leo

Some fantastic stuff there Leo... In fact, the only one that wouldn't make it int my top ten would be Bobby Reed - YUK ;-)

And yep - Spyder hast to be best ever cheapie!!!!!!

Social source share

HOW DID THE KRL TOP 500 GET SELECTED, WAS THERE A VOTE, OR JUST FEEDBACK ON MOST REQUESTED PLAYS.

ED

Don't know for sure if it had any final decision on Roberts top 500 but he did ask for nominations of all time favourites & the reason why. At that moment ;-) I nominated Living a Lie - High Keys & sure enough there's my name under the record in the book. Unfortunately the bastard filled in a totally fictitious comment

from me about " try playing this when you've split with the missus" I still seeth every time I think of it. When I split with my missus I was playing happy days are here again

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Good choice J-O-T (surprisingly! lol) Tolbert but I'd have to include Trace Of Smoke 'Treasure Mind' or maybe Sunshine Band 'Fly Away' or perhaps Tony Akien & Future 2000 'Good Things', hang on what about Executive Force or......b****cks, it's bleeding endless and almost impossible, and I haven't even touched the 60's newies side yet!

Roy, let me remind you that it wasn't me that played Ooooops upside yo head as the most talked about record at a recent Soul Night Anniversary. Your right to comment on taste has been revoked!!!!!! LOL ;o)))))))))))))

BTW all great records btw but not a patch on Tolbert IMVFHO ;o))

Von Trout

Social source share

At the moment my all time favourite tune is The Primers on HALE - it just seems to have everything I want in a record ! The Tranells - Blessed with a Love is another one that always seems to get me going as well.

Hammy

Social source share

Never had an all time favourite, it has changed every week for the past 24 years.

but latest favourite is Strutt on Brunswick LP and "Said you Didn't Love Him"

* this is courtesy of a tape by a throughly decent fellow on here called Neil Felton

Social source share

but latest favourite is Strutt on Brunswick LP and "Said you Didn't Love Him"

* this is courtesy of a tape by a throughly decent fellow on here called Neil Felton

Definate tune is this one Brett. There's a couple of other nice tracks on the lp as well. Shame it never came out on a 45.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

My all time fav is the Impressions...."You've been cheatin'".........my ABC copy has "SHUTE" scratched in the run out groove.........Curtis always had good taste in selecting arrangers...

link

What like Shute, Minshull, Levine etc etc

He was a bloody vandall as a youth Jim!!!

i have a few with shute written on them <_<

Von Trout

Social source share

Hope you don't mind me coming in on this topic again, but I heard the Masqueraders' How Big Is Big at the Dome on Friday played by Ady Lupton, about 3rd record from the end. I've heard it before, but this was the first time in a club. Just brilliant, made me feel so emotional as I shuffled around to it.

Just got to get this one.

Social source share

Hope you don't mind me coming in on this topic again, but I heard the Masqueraders' How Big Is Big at the Dome on Friday played by Ady Lupton, about 3rd record from the end. I've heard it before, but this was the first time in a club. Just brilliant, made me feel so emotional as I shuffled around to it.

Just got to get this one.

link

It's the flip to Please Take Me Back on Bell 874. Think the demos have PTMB on both sides.

Social source share

Gotta disagree with ya there Billy!!! The lyrics for LaReine Lamar just don't seem to fit at time IMHO, or is it just me. Marion Stewart tho' kin ace chewn, remember this covered up in the 80's as Connie Clark by Carl Fortnum.

link

Maybe because I heard Lareidgghtrene l.........f**k it - can't spell it...OTHER first, think that's why I like that un best.

Only my opinion QUOTE: IMOEAVFHO = in my overly expressed and very fuckin humble opinion :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!