Best to play at a wedding

Briles

The Kev Roberts top 500 book describes Dena Barnes - If you ever walked out of my life - as as a tear jerking funeral sound, what do you reckon best to play at a wedding?

My first thoughts are Roscoe Robinson - That's Enough, cos - I don't want glory or fame, I just want you to take my name, and more - can this be bettered ?

Sorry, need good opinions and knowledge.

Dave

Gettin married July 2005

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The most perfect NS songs for weddings are without a doubt

Jackie Wilson : Because of you

Ruby Andrews: Just Loving you

Dave and Chinami Flynn played "Hand it Over" at theirs.

Darrel Bank's "The Wedding Song"?....or if it's appropriate "Shotgun Wedding" by Roy C and "Wedlock is Padlock" by Laura Lee wink.gif

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

goooing to the chapel and we.. gooooonna get maaaa-aaaarried...

also:

Eddie Wilson "toast to the lady" (not the lyrics, i just love the sentimental mood in it..)

Madeline & Monticellos "binding ring of gold"

Ripple Blast singers "sadie sadie"

best

Leo

Social source share

Heres a choice of three we had played at our wedding in May...

The Drifters This Magic Moment

Paul Weller Your The Best Thing (Wifes a keen Jam/Paul Weller Fan)

Walter Jackson Touching In The Dark

And Theres always

Timmi Yuro It'll never be over for me.

The Platters /Sammy Ambrose With This Ring.

Regards

Peter

Social source share

Just a few that we will be having played at our luverly wedding

(To be held on Friday 10th June 2005 at 2.30 at Grimsby Register Office then all back to Cleggy for a reception till 6.00!!!)

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Baby's Heart

Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me

Bobby Day - Kings Highway

Just for the soppiness

And i'm not too sure what else cause i'll leave that to the DJ's who are so far... Roger Banks and Jo Wallace.

Really though... everybody is invited! I've got the modern room (hahaha) from about 3-3.30 til 6.00pm for the reception, i've got DJ's on and there might even be a glass of champers or two so, if your going to Cleggy make it a few hours early and pop your head in.

Will send a proper invite out to all nearer the time.

Jodie & Micky xx

Social source share

I spun the Impressions 'You've bee cheating' for a laff - sadly a bit too close to home as it turned out and a few days after the wedding they split! I am available for wedding bookings etc but for Gods sake brief me first :-))

Big O - PML mate Brilliant, tho' I doubt the 2(3) involved thought so !

Social source share

This is a true story about a recent wedding that took place at Clemson University, USA. This was a huge wedding with over 300 guests. After the wedding at the reception, the groom got up on stage and took the microphone to talk to the crowd. He said that he wanted to thank everyone for coming, many from long distances, to support them at their wedding. He especially wanted to thank the bride's and groom's families for coming and to thank his new father-in-law for providing such a fabulous reception. To thank everyone for coming and bringing gifts and everything, he said he wanted to give everyone a special gift from just him. Taped to the bottom of everyone's chair (even the chairs of the wedding party) was a manila envelope. He said that was his gift to everyone, and told everyone to open their envelopes.

Inside each manila envelope was an 8x10 picture of his best man having sex with the bride. (He had gotten suspicious of the two of them and hired a private detective to trail them weeks prior to the wedding.) After he stood there and watched the people's reactions for a couple of minutes, he turned to the best man and said ''f*** you !'' he then turned to the bride and said ''f*** you !'' and then he turned to the dumbfounded crowd and said..... ''Thanks, I'm out of here.''

He had the marriage annulled first thing that Monday morning. While most of us would have broken off the engagement immediately after finding out about the affair, this guy goes through with it anyway as if nothing was wrong. His revenge:

1) Making the bride's parents pay over $32,000 for a 300 guest wedding and reception.

2) Letting everyone know exactly what did happen.

3) And best of all, trashing the bride's and best man's reputations in front of all of their friends, their parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, nieces and nephews, etc.... Ya gotta love this guy.

Social source share

I once played Freda Payne " Band of gold " at a wedding, and it was promptly pointed out to me that actually, the words to the song are all about the bride being ditched on her honeymoon, left all alone with a band of gold..............

Definatly NOT a good wedding song !

A good one I would say would be, Maurice Jackson .. Forever my love .. weiss

DUCIE BRIDGE SATURDAY.......... BRING IT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Speaking of Flynny, I remember him playing Soul Incorporated "My Proposal" at Chris and Etsu Harvey's wedding. Seeing bride and groom flying around the dancefloor in matching bowling shirts was strange, but oddly very moving.

It was at that moment I realised what a great record this actually is. Forget the hype and the daft price tag. It was just made for that moment...

Social source share

First off to Billy the Boot: The story about the wedding at Clemson was one of the most brilliant things I've ever heard of someone doing. I was cheated on by my ex-girlfriend very badly around 4-5 years ago, so I tip my hat to that guy. Plus any good guy who has been done wrong should hear that story. It's like he did it for all of us.

I've since gotten myself a fantastic girlfriend who is young, beautiful, smart, considerate, supportive and every possible thing you could want in a girl. We've been together 3 and half years now and it keeps getting better.

One day we will get married and although there will be no formal ceremony or regular reception, whenever we hold a celebration, I plan to play the following:

1. Just Loving You-Ruby Andrews (as it describes perfectly, finding someone better who suits you)

2. You Satisfy My Needs-Big Dee Irwin (This song most perfectly describes my feelings about her)

3. I'll Be Loving You-Soul Brothers Six (Just a beautiful track in general)

And that's probably enough northern soul music for her to take in during the course of the evening, but it's my expression through three records that really move me.

Also, on a side note, "My Proposal" is fantastic for a wedding of two northern soul enthusiasts. Kudos to Dave Flynn.

-Jason

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Try Buddy Miles's 'I'm Just a Kiss Away' - fantastic tune and lyrics.

(trivia - Buddy Miles is the former drummer for the Jimmy Hendrix Experience!!)

Social source share

Othello Robertson "So in luv" Good lyrics for a wedding 'do' Played this a couple of Holgate's ago for a wedding aniversary request. Good oldie too!

Social source share

quiet gina posted the below

via the "Report this post to a moderator" link.

(gina quick way to reply is just hit one of the "reply" buttons - that way goes straight on site)

Report:

I think the elgins" Heaven must have sent you" would be nice.thats coming from a girl.

quiet gina

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Hi

Another great track for a wedding would be

Oh Lord, Look What You Are Doing to Me - Big Maybelle

it's absolutley beautiful!

regards.........Andrew

Social source share

:D Andrew

Don't say that Sean Chapman is the Only gay in the village he moved there, as he didn't want anyone to know, I have seen him dressed up, I've even got a photo of him with a red velvet Cowboy hat on so he must be the only gay in the village.... so please keep it hush hush... If you see him don't mention it :D

I hope Friday night went well...

Social source share

Keep Her Guessing - Arthur Alexander  :o  :D

link

You cynic LOL ;-)

We had these at our wedding

Dells - Make Sure

Gladys Knight - No one could love you more

Tolbert - I got it

Tearra - Loving You

Norman Connors ft Al Johnson - I don't need nobody else

JR Bailey - Love won't wear off

Thompson Bros - You brought love into my life

Chuck Bridges & the LA Happening - Head over heels

James Conwell - L.O.V.E. I love you

Bobby Thurston - The very last drop

and we completely forgot that we were supposed to have 'Our day is here' played

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

:D Andrew

Don't say that Sean Chapman is the Only gay in the village he moved there, as he didn't want anyone to know, I have seen him dressed up, I've even got a photo of him with a red velvet Cowboy hat on so he must be the only gay in the village.... so please keep it hush hush... If you see him don't mention it :D

I hope Friday night went well...

link

Sean is the only gay in church village,alegedly we all had a top night (far to much beer) sean was fantastic as usual you will have to come to the next one (you an your lovely wife can stay with me and Tracie), we will even put clean sheets on the spare bed

see you soon

Regards ..........Andrew

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

At my brother and Fiona's wedding they had their first dance to

Peggy Gaines - When the boy you love.

Beautiful, and got a decent amount of interest from the non soul people there.

Has anyone mentioned Guitar Ray yet?

i'll get my coat.

Unmarried mikey ;-)

Social source share

Have to say, I remember the story which Billy the Boot posted, and it still brings a smile to my face!! Likewise, I was badly cheated on 18 years ago, so I love the "revenge is sweet" touch to this one - only wish I had the opportunity then to play such a gag!!

As an occasional wedding DJ, the first two records I usually play after the meal and speeches are "Chapel Of Love" by the Dixie Cups and "Wedding Bell Blues" by the 5th Dimension. I've yet to DJ at a Northern Soul wedding - that would be fun!!

Gene

Social source share

The entertainers - i'm in love with you ( i know that is not the original but for my money it's the better version. sorry Bobby)

Sharon Ridley - where did you learn to make love

Aretha Franklin - It only happens when I look at you

Willie Hutch - Lucky to be loved by you- they must believe that

Isley Brothers - My love is your love - says it all

JJ Barnes - i just can't see me leaving you (just to reassure them both that they're in it for the long term)

Carla Thomas - I'll never stop loving you and I play for keeps

Four Tops - I'm grateful

Social source share

When me and Mrs Ferrett got hitched in deepest, darkest Wales we had :-

The look of love - Dusty Springfield. (for Mrs Ferrett to walk in to)

If you ask me - Jerry Williams and I'll be loving you - Soul Brothers Six (to sign the register to)

Not a dry eye in the house!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I remember on the Coast To Coast film, they played "It Should've Been Me" at a wedding reception in Liverpool.  Which of course results in a punch-up!  ph34r.gif

I had played at my wedding reception, Frank Wilson's - Do I Love You.

link

Looking at her they should have played

Shotgun

Obtendr mi abrigo :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!