Review of the Mid Tempo CD swap

Rite den boys 'n girls.... it be Friday.... so I'll get us started on this "Mid Tempo CD Swap" review thingy.... nowt to do at work on nights so I've compiled this over the last couple of nites whilst re-listening to CDs to refresh my "lagging" memory.... now to type it....

Firstly.... I'll just say I was so glad I opted to "join" my 1st CD swap.... enjoyed all the CDs I received.... whether I knew the tracks or not.... great job done everybody.... some that don't need no intro.... some I've known of but ain't heard for ages.... some new to me that knocked me back....

Working through as per Kolla's "list of addresses" I got by "username".... very, very hard in keeping to THREE tracks of each that "jumped" out at me as there were so many on each.... changed my mind a good few times.... boy do I wish we could list more tracks per CD.... the easy bit was where tracks were duplicated so that gave me extra choices....

Just "my choices" from off the CDs.... I'm sure opinions will differ.... but here goes.... in no particular order except as they came up on each CD.... might be a "lengthy" post or may have to put up in parts.... we'll see....

Al/Kolla

Pauline Shivers - Won't You Come Back Home - O Pax.... just love "float along" female tunes.... can't say I've heard this before.... is my memory that bad....

Gwen McCrae - Lead Me On - Columbia.... one of those "classic oldies" that I seem to never tire of hearing.... call me easily pleased....

Brenda Holloway - Favour For A Girl (With A Lovesick Heart) - Motown.... no other reason than Brenda's voice does it for me every time.... my "top" female Motown artist.... sheer class....

Chalky

Commands - No Time For Love - Dynamic/Backbeat.... one that has that "haunting", "echoing" sound when played loud and proud.... needs to be "aired" a bit more IMO....

Donald Jenkins & Daylighters - I've Settled Down - Cortland.... something about this tells me I should know it.... can't place where/when though.... perhaps it's "new" to me and it's one of those you "feel" you've known/heard for ages....

Jimmy Burns - You're Gonna Miss Me - Tip Top.... f*** me.... forgot about this one.... considering his Erica outing is about £1500+.... this has got to be an absolute bargain at about £100+.... must add to "wants list"....

Dayo

T.J. Williams - Baby I Need You - Josie.... top, top tune.... lyrically does it for me every time.... one from the "soul" of the man....

Deon Jackson - I Can't Go On - Carla.... quite simply.... I can't think of one track by the man that I don't like.... mmmm.... let me think....

Van Dykes - What Will I Do - Mala.... another I'd forgotten about.... got it somewhere so I'll have to dig it out and stick it in my box.... worth £20 of anybody's money....

Dan

George Smith - I've Had It - Turntable.... seems soooo long since I've heard this.... have I been asleep when out.... maybe it ain't got the "tempo" for most places.... shame....

Wade Flemons - That Other Place - VJ.... cheers Dan.... glad you've included it like me.... means I can pick it.... a bit like GS previously.... not heard enough out IMO.... surely our "older" bones deserve more of this type on the dance floor....

Bobbie Smith - Walk On Into My Heart - American Arts.... would have had this choice from Chalky's.... meant I had another choice from his.... "haunting", "echoing".... have I said this before....

Phew.... only 4 gone in the first hour of skipping through them re-listening.... I'm "souled" out.... coffee, fag and onwards....

Mark B

Linda Hall - There's Always You - Jerden.... this one was "new" to me.... why have I not heard this before.... where have I been....

Patti Allen - Send My Baby Back - Columbia.... chose this because of the "big band" sound with that "chilled out" feel so reminiscent of a "smokey jazz club" where nothing else seemed to matter back in the day....

The Plaids - Ask The Lonely - It Will Stand.... seem to remember this from somewhere.... probably not.... one of my "brain block" periods again.... great track....

Rich S

Albert Jones - I Do Love You - Tri City.... just love how this one "floats" along lyrically and musically.... similar vein to the Constellation's "I Don't Know"....

Ebony Essence & The Birmingham Rhythm Section - Let Me In - Goodie Train.... one I can't say I've heard before.... but "big" group name for a "big" tune.... 70's just the way I like it....

Four Wonders - Just Looking For My Love - Solid Foundation.... stayed with "my" type of 70's for this one.... often "wondered" (get it) if these were same group as Imperial Wonders (Solid Foundation).... name change, group member change or summat....????

P5OULH (Paul Havekin)

Robert Ward - I'm Gonna Cry A River - Thelma.... another "long time" no hear one for me.... just love the "sax" (de-de de de de-der) insertions in this one....

Guitar Ray - You're Gonna Wreck My Life - Shagg.... not apologising for this probably "common" choice.... the "emotion" in the voice.... the "unique" lyric line repeats.... truly, truly awesome IMO....

Soul Bros Inc - Pyramid - Golden Eye.... again, no apologies, so unlike owt I'd heard before when first heard way back when.... the "deepness" the voice gets down to.... neck hair standing stuff....

Craig W

Dena Barnes - Who Am I - Inferno.... even though "musically" very similar to the more "famous" A Side.... "lyrically" more appealing IMO.... this is one of those 45's that should be "turned over" to be played more often such as Epitome Of Sound....

Lorraine Ellison - Don't Let It Go To Your Head - Mercury.... another choice purely because of my love for "girly" tracks that "float along"....

Brenda Holloway - You Can Cry On My Shoulder - Tamla.... "BH".... nuff sed.... struggling to remember ever hearing this one before though....

Miff (Graham Smith)

Andrea Henry - I Need You Like A Baby - MGM.... big sound.... big vocals.... melodic.... atmospheric.... wish I'd never sold mine a few years back.... for peanuts compared to today's prices....

Bobby Hutton - Come See What's Left Of Me Baby - Philips.... can't really put into words what this one does to me.... other than always leaves me "in bits" LOL.... has everything "soulful" about it.... words, music, emotion, heartfelt.... "SOUL"....

Ruby Winters - Better - Diamond.... her "ultimate" recording IMO.... always felt this one should have been "bigger" than it apparently "went".... needs more airplay other than when I've usually heard it as an "ender" or "walk out" track....

Jock

Diane Lewis - I Thank You Kindly - Wand.... another one I feel I should know but for some reason I can't recall it.... maybe after all these years on the scene my heads turned to "mush" where tracks are concerned....

Bobby Reed - I'll Find A Way - Loma.... it's tracks like this that your so glad it's on a "more available" label.... unlike his "biggie".... a record that becomes over before it's begun.... if you get my drift....

Brenda Holloway.... just kidding.... can't have all hers.... can I....????

Frankie Saunders - Take Another Look - Jauna.... how long is it since I heard this.... jeeees.... back around the Clifton Hall or Queens Hall days I think.... so much of this style played at CH via Richard Searling, Poke, etc., moved the scene on leaps and bounds.... remember bartering with Adrian, one of the promoters along with Steve Croft, for Alfie Davison from £8 to £5 as part of a multiple buy.... memories, memories....

JazzyJas (Jason Thorton)

Frank James - Sea Of Faces - Tru Sound.... don't know this.... like the majority on the CD.... very "moody" what with the mouth organ "bits" and horn "bits".... vocally sounds very "raw".... good stuff....

Jo Ann Garrett - One Woman - Duo.... one I've heard before.... I put this on a par with her "more known" A Whole New Plan.... Jo Ann sure knows how to deliver vocally....

Rick Sheppard - I'm Gonna Change - Bang.... another first hearing for me.... nice sounding "float" you along tune....

Got a bit of an headache deciding on 3 from Jason's.... most new to me.... lots of "goodies" to pick from.... time for another coffee before I carry on....

Mark Bicknell

No CD received as yet.... I know he's busy with "loads" of stuff.... never mind.... the "spot" he did for me at Ponds Forge a few months back will suffice....

DeeJay (Dave Bywell)

Continental Four - The Way I Love - Jay Walking.... this just "takes" me "along" both musically and lyrically.... one of the best £10-ers I spent.... sad to say it was amongst about 6 tunes my 13 year old daughter "toddled" over when first walking at about 2 years old.... never have got round to replacing it....

Kelly Brothers - Crying Days Are Over - Sims.... one of those "surprise" tunes for me.... "surprised" to discover it was only about £20 back then.... it always "sounded" like one of the "rare" ones of the time.... about 3-4 figures I guessed at time.... the "ups" and "downs" of soul music through niaivity....

Keni Lewis - What's Her Name - Buddah.... one of those tunes I just "loved" on first hear.... always wanted a copy but never saw one for sale even though £150+.... delighted it's on one of the CDs.... ironically seen two copies go through the "bay" this last couple of weeks.... one "went daft" and the other had a "massive" opening bid and went through untouched.... oh to win the lotto and not care what you pay for stuff.... ah well....

Nick G

Little Jimmy Gandy - I'm Not Like The Others - Roulette.... a first hear for me.... found myself tapping my foot and nodding my head straight way.... very nice....

Bonnie Brisker - Someone Really Loves You - Magic City.... used to think this was Bettye Swann when first heard until I learnt otherwise.... vocally similar.... top tune....

Superlatives - Won't You Please (Be My Baby) - Dynamics.... so underrated.... overshadowed and overlooked for I Still Love You.... IMO.... superb "cheapie"....

MissGoldie (Samantha Goldie)

No CD received as yet.... I know this was to be sent later via Kolla.... any news....

Mischief (Paul Salvatore)

Johnny Moore - It Maybe Tears Of Joy - Bright Star - only know of this because a mate has/had this.... another "cheapie" to buy that's overlooked in favour of his Date outing....

Jimmy Robins - In My Heart - Jerhart.... can't say I've heard this before.... just his I Can't Please her on the same label....

The World's Funkiest Band - When You're Alone - California Gold.... a top "soul" sound from the "funkiest" band.... ironic that I think.... that "moving" 70's style that hardly ever fails to please....

fdsoul6345789 (Fraser Dunn)

No CD received as yet.... no info on whether sent out.... if sent it may be "lost" within the Post Office.... mines packed and ready to go in return if one still coming this way.... info.... update....

That's it.... that's my "brief" review.... LOL....

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Still seriously pissed off that i havent got a recorder in time to be a part of this great idea.

I've got the Pauline Shivers 45 Mark, got to agree fine record indeed (will bring it down for next Ponds if you want ,give it a spin.) As for selling Andrea Henry "You do need your head testing" LOL. The Ruby Winters 7" is also a brilliant double sider (that indeed does need playing regular in Sheff, Mark.)

Next time this happens i'll have a bleeding cd recorder....

Social source share

Mark,

Top marks to you for getting your act together - Al & I won't have a list ready till tomorrow. Still haven't received Miss Goldie's parcel yet. We got Fraser's CD last week - I've PM'd you his email address so you can contact him.

Social source share

I've got the Pauline Shivers 45 Mark, got to agree fine record indeed (will bring it down for next Ponds if you want ,give it a spin.) As for selling Andrea Henry "You do need your head testing" LOL. The Ruby Winters 7" is also a brilliant double sider (that indeed does need playing regular in Sheff, Mark.)

Bring it down Brett.... then sell me it.... LOL....

Need head testing on a few I've "let go" over the years mate....

Social source share

First of all, many thanks to all who have provided me with what seems like an endless supply of choons, especially as everybody seemed to have different understandings of what mid-tempo soul. Consequently, my wife hates you all as I've got a shit load of stuff to chase up!!

The hard part was to nail 3 down - as I change my mind like the weather - and the hard part is going to be finding the time to review em all as I can only do this at work.

In no particuler order

Dan Collins

The LPT's - (Together) Thats the only way

Just great group soul

Gladys - Cant get you outta my mind

Got hooked by the sporadic intro and the brassy lead in to a really nice femme vocal.

Kenny Sheppard

Could have put George Smith here - Robin Rice?? naagh, you got cloth ears or what!!

Ken's anthemic choon reminds me of the old Canal Tavern day's - drunken blokes on the dance-floor punching the air and singing along as Brownie turns the volume down

Mischief

Wales Wallace - Somebody I know

would never have dreamed of putting this on a mid-tempo CD but a great record. bongo-fuelled start gets me going from the start. 'Talk' is a top flip as well

Five Stairsteps - You're falling in love

just a sucker some days for male group sounds. totally under-rated these lads

Jimmy Robins

big vocal from Jim. he must have knackers like rugby balls!!

cheers Scotty (more to follow)

Social source share

and there's more........

Miff

I agree with the above comments on Ruby's belter - a record that has me in bits regularly. why did it take me 15 years to flip 'I want action' over. cloth ears or what.........'better to be a mans whole world, than a some time girl'. cue tears

H B Barnum - The Record

Another heart-tugger. Simple backing track. Great Song.

Abraham and His Sons - Your mother understood

One that really grabbed me - sounds has though its from that late 60s / early 70s period, with an almost funky feel, but really gnarly soulful vocals. too many park drive old Abe

Solo - Blowing my mind

amidst all the 60s big-voiced beaters is a top contemporary tune. real neat mover!

wooh wooh - can almost hear Dearlove haranguing the crowd at Arties Mill in the background.

VoSoul

The Intertains

Top notch group northern. Catchy backing and great group harmonies.

Tony Washington - Someone Always Cryin

weird - not a great singer but the almost tortured strain in his vocal adds stacks to this angst-ridden choon.

The Lost Generation - You're so young but you're so true

Another example of that 60s/70s period - great vocal interplay with a backing track to die for. They threw the kitchen sink at this one

Friday afternoon ---- off to the pub........

Social source share

OK I've sat down and for a couple of hours and made a start on listening to the cds gratefully received in the swap. To pick three from each does it an injustice cause heard so much quality mid-tempo so far!

Fraser

Tommy & Cleve - Don't Want To Share Your Love

And who could blame him...from the opening bars it reminded me of The Masqueraders for some reason (one of the best soul acts not to make it mainstream).

Cliff Nobles - This Feeling Of Loneliness

Proper soul...nuff said!

Ray Hines - Why Don't You Give Me A Try

Might be an average guy but this ain't no average record!!

Vault Of Soul

Jay And The Shufflers - Always Be Mine

"So don't ever let me down, your my queen and your wearing the crown,

Please be gentle my love, please be kind oh yeah and say you'll be mine"

Big fave from the 80's. Stafford biggie for Guy Hennigan and superb piece of mid-tempo. Never tire of hearing this one.

The Spindles - To Make You Mine

The good thing about tape/cd swapping is there's always something you either don't know or have totally forgotten and I'd totally forgotten this one. Can't remember the last time I heard it. Great vocals from the lead and then the group kick in to add a change of pace....one to look out for if I can find one cheap enough and one I'd definately play out.

Fantastic Four - As Long As I Live (I Live To love)

"Sweet" James Epps and the boys...doesn't get much better than this under-rated Detroit gem. Doesn't get much better for a tenner either.

Dayo

The Invitations - Hallelujah

This group gave us one of the best Nothern Soul records (IMHO) in "What's Wrong With Me Baby". Although not in the same class it's definately underplayed and very under-rated piece of male group harmony. You can just imagine these on the street corner with this. Another on the wants list.

Darrel Banks - The Love Of My Woman

Darrell Banks waking with dark clouds over his head with one reason to keep on living - The Love Of His Woman. Class soul from 1969 which seem to be popular amongst collectors tho' yet to seriously make it onto DJ's playlists, dunno why?

TJ Williams - Baby I Need You

One thats had a few spins at the Lifeline niters and one or two heavy weight DJ's seem to be getting behind this and rightly so!

Social source share

First off can I just thank everyone for there cd's... I'm still taking the sounds in, as there are loads i've never heard before, I've managed to pick 3 from each CD, but to be honest theres no real reason I chose these tracks over some of the others.. I know I sat up to 3 this morning listerning to them and was 2 hours late for work today!!! when ever you listern to music it depends on your mood etc. as to what you like, and i'm not the greatest at write ups. But I did enjoy them thanks Paul/mischief....

CHALKY'S

BUDDY ACE - TRUE LOVE MONEY CAN'T BUY..

This one stood out for me... A floating voice of soul... "AWESOME SOUND"

BUNNY SIGLER.......FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

Thanks for putting this on your CD, I love this, but never knew who it was by....

BOBBY SMITH - WALK ON INTO MY HEART

Another one I've heard out but didn't know who it was by.. I love this style of midtempo... not to slow, yet you can still dance to it.... "Top banana.."

DAVE BYWELL

ECTASY PASSION & PAIN - I WOULDN'T GIVE YOU UP

What an excellent dancer, one of them records that you can't sit still to..

TOMMY YOUNGBLOOD - DID I EVER MAKE YOU CRY

I need to speak to the girl he was singing to.

"Well did he, Well why did you leave him he don't deserve it he loves you."

COLOUR HIM FATHER - BOBBY WOMACK

It's Bobby Womack what more can you say, One of the best soul singers ever.

DAN

CLYDE McPHATTER - lonely people can afford to cry.

Never heard this before - One of them records you just really like, when you first play it.

HARRY AND THE KEYAVAS - IF THIS IS GOODBYE

Great intro... if you was at a do.. you would know it was time to stop talking and start dancing.

KENNY SHEPHERD - WHAT DIFERENCE DOES IT MAKE.

Heaven in a voice... I loved this from the first time I heard it..

(Don't know where or when just always remember it)

MARK (VAULT OF SOUL)

UNLIMITED FOUR - WALK AWAY LOVER

He must just open he's mouth and let he's heart sing..........

JO ARMSTEAD - A STONG GOOD LOVER

My copy of this is knackered, this is the first Time I've really appreciated this record. As I don't think I've ever heard it out.

BASIC BLACK AND PEARL - THERE'LL COME A TIME; THERE'LL COME A DAY.

This record just calls out to be played loud. (Try it AHHHH that's better)

CRAIG W

FREDDIE PARIS - THERE SHE GOES

One of them that just seem to grow as it goes on.. "EXCELLENT"

DEE DEE WARWICK - HOUSE OF GOLD

AWESOME (just having a dance while I'm listening)

LENNY WELCH - THE RIGHT TO CRY

He should have never have cheated on her you can tell in he's voice he still loves her... Tell ya the more I listened to this the more I like it.

NICK G

BARBARA MASON - MAKE IT LAST.

First track on the CD... bought a copy the following week. (Say's it all really)

PHYLLIS HYMAN - DELIVER THE LOVE

Second track on the CD .... Bought that as well.

JYVE FYVE - IF I HAD A CHANCE TO LOVE YOU

Guess what I'm after a copy of this (but will have to wait till the end of the month now)

SCOTTY

ANN HAYWOOD - CROOK HE'S LITTLE FINGER

Love this reminds me of SOUL IN THE SUN (April 2004) it was the first time I really noticed it (Mick Lloyd played it out there "AWESOME TUNE")

FREDDIE WILLIAMS - NAME IN LIGHTS

"WHAT A RECORD"

BILLY BUTLER - FOUND TRUE LOVE.

God this takes me back, I've got this on an album OKEH SOUL, which I got in about 85ish.

Shame LENNY WELCH never heard this before he cheated on her.. (Craig W cd)

MARK BAILDON

GOOD COMPANY - MY SHIP IS COMING IN.

This will keep the dance floor busy... "TOP TUNE"

125th STREET CANDY STORE - SILENT HEART

Such a top sound.. But what's going on with the group's name... (Anyone know?)

TASHA THOMAS - I SAW THE SKY

Tune to end a nighter with... you know when you've been in side all night, then for some reason you look up and see a bit of light peeping round the curtain.. "I saw the sky".

JOCKS

AL WILSON - BE CONCERNED

Shame really that he done the snake, that's one of them records that some of us liked at some stage.. and that's what we judge him by now... Such a wonderful voice and you can hear it on this.

IVY JO - I CAN FEEL THE PAIN

I really like this, just made me want to have a bit of a dance

EDDIE PARKER - CRYING CLOWN

I've played this Cd half a dozen times and missed this as it was after the Al Wilson track

This is "AWESOME" great lyrics great ender top tune...

DAYO

JACKIE ROSS - WHO COULD BE LOVIN YOU..

I diddn't know there was a female version of this. Always good to get to hear different versions of a record.

BETTYE SWAN - FALL IN LOVE

After listening to this I had to go and find what record box I kept my copy in and move it to a box I use. "TOP TUNE".

JIMMY SOUL CLARKE - I'LL BE YOUR CHAMPION

Another one I haven't heard for years...

AL & KOLLA

AMANDA LOVE - YOU KEEP CALLING ME BY HER NAME.

This CD's got to be good kicking off with a "SOUND" like this.

SEPTEMBER JONES - I'M COMING HOME

Quick put your drink down and hit the dance floor. "WHAT A GREAT RECORD"

BRENDA HOLLOWAY - FAVOR FOR A GIRL

Think about it- it's a nightmare really, records like this hidden away from the majority only known by a small handful of people. Why? Because they where only available on LP's ...

P5OULH

SOUL BROS INC - PYRAMID

Excellent record Often gets played at Talk of the South @ Luton

ROBERT WARD - I'M GONNA CRY A RIVER

"AWESOME " I didn't know it but am singing it now like I've known it for years...

RHETTA HUGHES - CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP

I'm on he look out for this now...."TOP TUNE"

JAZZY JAS

BONUS POINT FOR THE COVER

PHIL PARRY - IF THIS IS GOODBYE

I was sitting on my bed listening to this just thinking pure quality

ROGER FREEMAN - MISTER MOON

Not what I usually go for, but what a different sound. "TOP TUNE"

PAT THOMAS/ARETHA FRANKLIN - I CAN'T WAIT

The song is excellent; I just can't work out what ones best. Suppose whatever one I manage to buy first.

MIFF

JACKIE WILSON -OPEN THE DOOR TOU YOUR HEART

I love this I've got it on a CD, I know it never got a UK release on 45 but did somewhere in the world, and as far as I know it's only UK release was an album, I don't know the album name, can any one help me here. Cheers

CANDI STATON - TO HURT TO CRY

I really like this... uuummmm may have to have a look about for this..

BARBARA McNAIR - FORGET YOU EVER MET ME BABY

Louder Louder Louder.................."BLINDER"

Thanks everyone who shared there sounds with me...

Social source share

The LPT's "Together That's The Only Way" is really "Be Happy For Me" is it not? I have the LPT's and the tune is "Be Happy For Me" by the Masqueraders and instrumental version on the flip. The record has incorrect titles.

Social source share

Here's part one of top 3 - first 7 CDS. Al will post HIS separate

Vault of Soul (Mark)

1 - Fantastic Four "As long as I live" - beautiful upbeat backing - the drums set it of

2 - The Compliments "Beware, beware" - I dig vocal harmonies like this

3 - Wade Flemmons "That Other Place" - believe it or not I hadn't heard this before the swap - such a sad but gorgeous song.

FRASER

1 - The interpretations "I've got nothing but time" - Not a modern girl, but this is a beautiful floater

2 - The Joneses "Who loves you" - och go on then another modern number that's got me. Doh!

3 - La Dellicas "I'll never change" - it was the intro "mmmm" that pulled me in. Does anyone know who the singer is ? Her voice is magic.

Deejay (Dave)

1 - George Wydell "From out of nowhere"

2 - Kelly Brothers "Crying days are over" - such a powerful driving rhythm

3 - Continental Four - "They way I love you baby"

P5OULH (Paul)

1 - Commands "I've got love for you" - it was the hammond and harmonies that did it

2 - JB Bingham "All alone by the telephone" - heavens above, i've chosen a modern - but man, he's got such a lovely voice - so haunting.

3 - Guitar Ray "You're gonna wreck my life" - definately a song I'll stop a deep conversation to go off and dance to.

... Rhetta Hughes was a close third - and Soul Bros Inc - well that one goes without saying :D

JOCK

Ridiculous time spent whittling this to three but...

1 - Chuck Bernard "Bessie Girl" - such a great moody beat and what a crackin' voice

2 - The Trends "Check my tears" - king mega - those harmonies again

3 - Tommy Hunt "Let me make you happy" - obvious choce maybe but this is a hell of a heart string tugger. It reminds me so much of Randy as well - What a ballad, What an ender.

DAN

Another tough cookie of a CD to choose just three from ...

1 - George Smith "I've had it" - just a bloody good soul record

2 - Andrea Henry "I need you like a baby"

3 - J M Matthews - "I have no choice" This song is in my all-time top 10 and i've never been able to listen to it at home till now - thank you !

By the way - I'd never heard the Maurice Jones version of Lucky Fellow before - fantastic.

CRAIG

1 - Checkmates "Please don't take my world away" - always had a soft spot for Bacharach and this is very similar - loved it

2 - Dena Barnes "Who Am I" - her voice is just so rich

3 - Ortheia Barnes "I've never loved nobody" - Jesus I don't think I've ever heard this before and adored everything about it. This is the sort of song that makes you wish you had the dancefloor to yourself :D ) Al's gonna be sick of hearing it soon ...

Rrrrright 7 down, 8 to go - will post them up tomorrow. Al will post his Top 3s separately (though technically he SHOULD agree with me on everything :D

Social source share

Brief review. Part two of several :D

Jazzy Jas

Louis Curry - A Toast To You - M-S

Great slowie from Detroit. Again probably better known for other midtempo outing Captivated although the flip as Jazzy says is well worht checking out as is an outing on Reel - You're Just Plain Nice...althoiughb this one quite rare and a few hundred quid!

Mack Starr & Mellows - Drifting Apart - Cub

Great piece of mid-tempo, often overlooked side to Oh My Love which I included on my swap cd. Oh My Love did get plays at Stafford and during that era, wonder if this side did cause I don't recall hearing it played out although could be wrong there as memory worse than a goldfish :-) Certainly sounds like something that could have been given a try.

Calvin Grayson - Where Do I Belong - Capitol

Better known on the scene for his awesome double sider "Loves Just Begun/You've Got To be Willing". This one in total contrast as they are both uptempo dancers far removed from this soulful slowie. Superb vocals again "mixed" up from Calvin.

Scotty's

Sonny Craver - Come Back - Musette

What a start to the cd...just love a bit of deep. Know this through Andy Dyson, his copy is on Stanson.

Ann Haywood - Crook His Little Finger - Hondo

All he's got to do is crook his little finger.... Makes a change :o :D:D Great mover. Copies have turned up but hasn't reflected in the price <_<

Freddie Williams - Name In Lights - Hollywood

Can remember this getting plays in the 80's and from tape swaps from that era. So under-rated. Another of his to look out for is the uptempo I've Got To Live While I Can.

Miff's

Andrea Henry - I Need You Like A Baby - MGM

Brilliant!!! Had this in the 80's, swapped it off Dave Appleyard for my Natural Four - I though You Were Mine on Boola Boola . We'd both had respective record in sales box for about two years and no one was interested in either, oh how times change!!

Bobby Sheen - Sweet Sweet Love

Under-rated flip to Dr Love. Was played at Southgate all-dayer and quite a few went to the decks to see what this was, including me! One that either I'd forgotten, ignored or just plain didn't know.

Faye Crawford - What Have I Done Wrong - RCA

Awesome, f****** great piece of mid-tempo!!! One record I can never tire of hearing. Stafford spin for Guy Hennigan covered as June Edwards - Come On And Tell. Can't imagine many DJ's taking a chance on a record like this these days.

Al & Kolla

Beverley Schaffer - Where Will You Be Boy - One-Derful

Soulful Chicago slowie. Another I can remember from tape swaps from years gone by, nice to hear it once again.

September Jones - I'm Coming Home - Kapp

Moody soulful mover from the Pied Piper production team, one of those love it or leave it recoreds going by conversations in the past, me I love it.

Bobby Hutton - Come See Whats Left Of Me - Philips

Again another gem form the Stafford era. Another I don't tire of hearing.

Mischief

Betty Everret - You're Falling In Love

Lp only track only if memory serves me correctly. Superb mover from Betty that got spins in the 80's/90's though don't hear it much these days. Great break in it where the horns come blasting to life :-)

Johnny Moore - It Maybe Tears Of Joy - Bright Star

Great record from the Chicago soulman. Records don't come much better for the price. If you wanna hear more from this top soulster then a must is his CD on Grapevine Lonely Heart In The City compiled by Dave Box.

Wales Wallace - Talk A Little Louder - BRC

One I'd not heard for long time. So under-rated and underplayed. Again another cheapie.

Nick Gilbert

The Fantastic Four - Live Up To What She Thinks - Ric Tic

Top top record. One that seems to be rising in price, justifiably so if quality is anything to go by.

Buddy Conner - When Your Alone - Breakthrough

Another one I remeber from the 80's and played out by various DJ's at times. Quality record.

Bonnie Brisker - Someone Really Loves Me - Magic City.

Another that I've never really heard anywhere other than tapes from swapping days of the 80's.

Social source share

The LPT's "Together That's The Only Way" is really "Be Happy For Me" is it not? I have the LPT's and the tune is "Be Happy For Me" by the Masqueraders and instrumental version on the flip. The record has incorrect titles.

link

It may have come out a couple of times i have it as The LPT's "Together That's The Only Way". With the Instrumental on the b side- ace record either way Heart Wrenching

Whos'e singing lead Al Williams?

DJ

Social source share

Ebony Essence & The Birmingham Rhythm Section - Let Me In - Goodie Train.... one I can't say I've heard before.... but "big" group name for a "big" tune.... 70's just the way I like it....

Social source share

It may have come out a couple of times i have it as The LPT's "Together That's The Only Way". With the Instrumental on the b side- ace record either way Heart Wrenching

DJ

link

Compared it with a couple of things I've got and it sounds like Lee Jones to me???

Haven't got the Masqueraders CD down here with me - maybe that would shed some light on it??

cheers

Scotty

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Mark,

Jean Battle does a good version of this also on Clintone. The Ebony Essence thing got a fair few plays late 80s early 90s - and apparently Herr Trout has played it out once or twice recently??

cheers

Scotty

link

Social source share

DJ

link

I also have it as the LPT's "Together.." the thing is though that it is NOT really that song in the grooves, it is "Be Happy For Me" with the instrumental on the flip, I thoght they were all like this? Lead singer should be Lee Jones I think. Do they sing "Please Be Happy For Me"? And does it feature a prominent piano? And does the chorus go "sorry, sorry, sorry..." every now and then? If so it is "Be Happy For Me" and not "Together That's The Only Way".

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Four Wonders - Just Looking For My Love - Solid Foundation.... stayed with "my" type of 70's for this one.... often "wondered" (get it) if these were same group as Imperial Wonders (Solid Foundation).... name change, group member change or summat....????

Not the same group at all, Apparently when the Imperial Wonders left Solid Foundation SF were a boit peeved to say the least and in an attempt to continue the success that they had had with the IW they cobbled together the Four Wonders from other groups, no one seems to be able to confirm the actual line up but whoever they were they did a fantastic job on this little beauty classy tune IMVFHO Rich have you stolen all my records btw :D:D

Von Trout

Social source share

.........they cobbled together the Four Wonders from other groups, no one seems to be able to confirm the actual line up but whoever they were they did a fantastic job on this little beauty classy tune IMVFHO Rich have you stolen all my records btw  :D   :D

Von Trout

link

or maybe we both buy records off a bloke with a dog named Marvin :D

anyway, here's a few more

Craig Westwood

Thanks Craig for prodding me that I should play the other side to Walk Like a Man a bit more often. And I almost put Orthea Barne's Coral outing down automatically as we used to play it out a bit but here goes...........

Brenda Holloway - Together Till the end of time

'in a world filled with so much sorrow'

Never did Brenda sing much truer words. A pair of Detroits finest femme lungs brings you a truly beautiful, yet haunting ballad.

Inspirations - What am I gonna do with you

initially I thought the vocal a bit insipid but after a few listens, the swirling strings and driving percussion backdrop along with the simple girly 'sha la la la' and 'hey baby' hook just got me

Little Richard - The Commandments of Love

Tutti Frutti?? Naaagh, more like 'Welcome to the Throat Tearers Ball'

Social source share

Scotty's

Sonny Craver - Come Back - Musette

What a start to the cd...just love a bit of deep.  Know this through Andy Dyson, his copy is on Stanson.

link

Chalky, remember what was on the other side of his 'Come Back' - I wanna thank you???? I hummed and aaaghed about buying a Stanson 'Thank you' one time but plumped for the much cheaper Teri De copy. Any road..........

Jock

just love Chuck Bernard - 'Every hurt' at the Canal Tavern got me going on him but heres the three

Dee Dee Warwick - Gotta get a hold of myself

Just love how the neat guitar backing and pleading vocals build into the BIG chorus. Love it!! wink.gif

Don Gardner - Somebody's gonna get hurt

Mooody and Dark, brooding and unstoppable. Awesome monster of a record. Vocals with big bollocks.

George Jackson - I wont have time to love you

Bad move to put this on a tape when I was down the Falklands years ago.

'her loves much sweeter, and I will need her'

'her loves inside me, waiting to guide me'.......Top Tenner???

Dee Jay

Betty Wright 'Tonights' is a fine record and a lady still doing it today - but why do folk ignore her and yet rave about young lasses from Devon??

Ollie Nightingale - Don't know why

Tent Music?? This would blow the effer away!!! :rolleyes:

Tommy Youngblood - Did I ever make you

check out the honk de de honk backing with Toms heartfelt pleading 'til my dying day' pleading to his gal. Choon

George Wydell - From out of nowhere

Simple and understated. Bottle of red, the downbeat lounge her I come....

Chalky

Commands - No time for you

'its been a long time'....heartfelt soulful pleading after being shat on. Top soul from some lads from down south - they're not all shandy drinking poofs. Good double header in fact.

Sir Ceasar - Show me the time

understated simple xylo intro and bass riff overlayed by some gruff voice big bloke

'show me the time when a mans content to wold this world alone,

i'll show your a river in the sky, a feather made of stone'

a record made in heaven - top lyric, top song

Buddy Ace - True Love money can't buy

Buddy's earthy downbeat soul-groover gets in by a short head to leave Scotty Williams 'Fear' out of the medals I'm afraid.

must get some work done.......... wink.gif

Social source share

Chalky, remember what was on the other side of his 'Come Back' - I wanna thank you???? I hummed and aaaghed about buying a Stanson 'Thank you' one time but plumped for the much cheaper Teri De copy. Any road..........

Jock

just love Chuck Bernard - 'Every hurt' at the Canal Tavern got me going on him but heres the three

Sorry can't remember the flip of the Stanson copy....looked at it a couple of weeks too as Andy had one on his list.

I play the "Every Hurt..." when I get the chance to get behind the decks, played it at Sheridans couple of weeks ago too. Was gonna stick it on my cd but decided against doing so.

Social source share

hi might as well make a start

Al & Kolla

Glen miller where is the love still a great record not had as many plays as it deserves this may be due to the fact it has never been a relatively cheap record so the poorer among us cant get it to play it

Dianne Minor like this very much in the dee dee style

Ella woods just a brilliant soul record and too expensive for me

Miff

Aki Aleong 1st hearing of this one which is what i expected from the cd swap great tune if a little sparse on the lyrics front.

Solo really love this great harmonies which if you have the album you will know as it is a fusion of doo wop and modern. recommend the album(cd)

Elvis Sorry Tony Middleton if elvis had done this it wopuld have been a #1

Chalky this is the #1 cd for me

Sir Ceaser this is the business a real stafford beat ballad, wish i could have been there to hear it

Admirations the mexican marachi trumpets do it for me

teardrops moody soulful and great will be looking for one of these

Fraser Dunn

Interpretations classy late night music slightly jazzy

Ray Hines the type of record you hope for when you flip something over.

little susan brilliant love those twisty shakey things in the background

Scotty

Frank Lynch 1st heard this after recommendation by I Levine this should get more plays

Ebony Essence there is no hiding it i love my 70's best version by far

Norwood Long ace crossover

Colin Day

T J Wiliiams rate this as good as lewis clarke northern in its best form simple and strong.

Soundbreakers reminds me of Nabay beleive it or not

lydie King everything she does seems to be good

Mark (vault of souler)

Tony Washington not heard this before but very impressed both sides good will look for this one.

Unlimitted four probably the best £15 you can spend

Michael Cloud very nice 70's

Dave Bywell

Delletes really like this never heard it before one to look out for

George Wydell love this one simple but great

Kenny Lewis if only for the fact i have this and play it out love it

that is it for now

but my top three

are

chalky's

Jason's Jazzy

Paul Havekin

mark

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

i know i have been on holiday for a week, what are all your excuses for not putting

Finding time to listen to them - I've got 7 or so more to do and I'm in the middle of a CD swap with the Irish contingent - yes, yes I know it's my own fault ... smile.gif

Social source share

Brenda Holloway - Together Till the end of time

'in a world filled with so much sorrow'

Never did Brenda sing much truer words. A pair of Detroits finest femme lungs brings you a truly beautiful, yet haunting ballad.

link

This is the record I want at my funeral when i pop my clogs. IMO the ultimate farewell record sung with huge emotion and can be picked up for little money.

Social source share

i know i have been on holiday for a week, what are all your excuses for not puting up any more reveiws.

marm

link

Me too, and work honest, and the fact I have been buying too much new stuff, but will do my homework this weekend since staying in all weekend now!

Jason have had your cd returned with wrong address can you advise of address and I will send again

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Just sorting some things for Lifeline tonight and in the background Craigs CD was playing :thumbsup:

Hit the mark from track one...

Checmates - Please Don't Take My World Away - Capitol. The flip to Mastered The Art Of Love sees the lead begging for his love to stay etc etc, familiar story. But what a record, great slab o' mid tempo.

Inspirations - What Am I Gonna Do With You - Black Pearl. Another flip and total contrast to Touch Me Hold Me Kiss Me.

Gil Berning - This Is Worth Fighting For - RCA. This made me stop what I was doing and just listen. Been such a long time since I heard this, awesome!! Big production which is what you'd expect from a label like RCA tongue.gif

Nice one Craig. More when I get to listen folks!! :Dblush.gif

Social source share

I have actually started listing the ones i like should have a full listing next week Dont know where you lot find the time Just wondered if anyone didnt recieve a cd from me apart from Chalky

DJ wink.gif

Social source share

I have actually started listing the ones i like should have a full listing next week Dont know where you lot find the time Just wondered if anyone didnt recieve a cd from me apart from Chalky

DJ wink.gif

link

I did - and nice one it was mate (Ollie and the Nightingales - top choon). Reviewed it up top somewhere :)

anyway, been away sunning it in Seville for a bit and moving jobs, but here's a few more.

Fraser

couldn't get yours to play mate - looked a good un as well

Mick n Kolla

what's this rubbish I was reading on the xover thread Kolla - you stated u don't like xover then you put this on your CD <_<

Ella Woods - I need your love

simply killer crossover brilliance - aching and heartwrenching lyrics. I taped this a mate once and he loved it so much it named his daughter Ella!!

Pauline Shivers - Won't you come back home

lush, lush vocals on a killer mid-tempo groover. you can't keep them old Thorne records down. Time to move over Rube methinks...........

Dee Dee Warwick - I can't go back

this lass can't do no wrong for me. Bongo and horn-fuelled builder. This record gets bigger by the second. wonderful singer smile.gif

more this afto............

cheers

Social source share

Okay whole weekend in, thought catch up on doing reviews,meant to take my mind off not being able to make it to Lifeline, didnt work just made me realise I am really missing my Northern at moment! Not something I have felt for a while.

First cds I picked were amazing, really want to ask about loads of records or talk about more than 3 but figured not fair so will stick to rules (who is the cruel bastard who said only 3!

Anyway first was Als and Kollas, seriously great cd, only 1 record not to my taste and for those that know me that will be amazed as I am well known as a moaning face b*****d! What made this cd more amzing for me is I am not big on girly soul but this was packed with femme monsters!! So my 3 picks are

Pauline Shivers - Wont You Come Back Home Drum roll, walking pace beat, then those great husky vocals, she obviously liked a fag. Great changes in her range, the sort of record you just want to get lost in a big dance floor to. When she hits that high note it hurts, great break in the middle and then she goes for it. My type of girly soul.

Beverly Shaffer - Where Will You Be WOW - can even forgive it the guitar at start, sultry voice, slow beat but well tight drummer, and sympathetic horns and great triangle (sounds crazy but the triange can be very atmosperic). Sure have had this before but returned it. what a twat. This is my type of Northern. I would definitely have been her soldier boy! This was biggest surprise of swap for me.

Ella Woods - I Need Your Love - This isnt crossover, its not anything but SOUL, aching vocals, superb backing, she knows she will get her man, that would be so nice. When she holds a note my ears just shake. Probably one of the best records EVER. Not the saddest soul record but it tears me up. Up there with the 4 tops! Nuff said.

Okay now on to Nick G's, very good cd, real good mix, a few quite above mid tempo but might be just an age thing for me!!

Don Varner - More Power To Ya - Great piano intro, the opening line is "I struggled hard all my life", with a consistent rythm section behind him, you know its Southern Fried soul like KFC can only dream about. Great horns, drums coaxing his voice along, just a great soul record, and his voice gets better as he goes on till almost pleading at the end, but always controlled. Awesome vocalist.

Buddy Connor - When You Are Alone Almost said last one was almost crossover style but was scared the crossover police might cross over from one of their current threads and become cross over that and chastise me. However no doubt to me, this is awesome crossover, great vocals, great insistent beat, soul with a capital SOUL! (Keep trying to convince myself that my cheap imitation of this(WFB) is almost as good, its not. Not much is!) A Dave Withers record was it not,if so no surprise there!

Jimmy Raye You Must Be Losing Quivering voice, pleads with his woman the beat picks up, but then its just smooth soul singing, great backing girls who know how to keep in time with their man, and then Jimmy ups the ante vocally, and I just curl into a ball and listen. My favorite girlie backing singers,anyone know who they were?

Chalkys next, and serious serious quality music on here, not one bad tune, our tastes are very similar Mr Chalk, you just have far better records!

Sing Magowan - Just In The Nick Of Time - Superb opening, my ears pricked, great walking pace beat (an old Pete Lawson saying), superb smooth vocal, always keeping pace with the backing, subtle backing this time but very effective. Can only pay this highest compliment is that I would love to have heard this out for the first time as it would make me dance, that doesnt happen very often now!!

Sir Ceaser - Show Me The Time - Wow, something I remember very well but never knew who it was. Amazing atmospheric builder, great lyrics, builds a couple of times in the middle and then he comes back "Show me the type of man who doesnt need a woman", sings with conviction. Maybe not the most traditional soul voice but an awesome Northern Soul record and forget playing it as ender, right in the middle of the night for me!!

Freddie Scott Mr Heartache Drum roll starts, smooth soul voice, rumbling horn, this kills me from intro on. His voice builds into a plead and there he is Mr Heartache, great memories of this at Allanton, 6.30 a full dance floor (well all 80 or so that were there) dancing to a beat ballad with a deep soul vocal, I cant describe this record as it still kills me 20 years later. Then the crescendo at the end, oops run for the repeat button, ahh heaven. All I can say after hearing this again I was on to Mr Dyson to buy it back!

Next was Pauls, real mix on here, picks for me were

JB Bingham - All Alone By The Telephone -swirling strings, husky sexy voice, must be in the 70's. Another of those quivering voices, must be another broken hearted soul man. Then it builds Great subtle drum beat, can just see all those Glasgow trendies who had somehow found their way to a hellhole called Newmains where Scotlands best modern night was to be educated to beautiful music like this!

Soul Brothers Incorporated - Pyramid - Great bongo and flute (?) intro, followed by those Galaxy chocolate like vocals, his love grows and the record keeps building, like a monster Northern Soul dancer. I want to hate this record due to its overkill at one point, I cant, it reduces me to a wibbly wobbly wreck, and makes me want to fall in love again!

Roy Hamilton - Reach Out For Me - Lalalalalalal then that voice that makes me wish Elvis had never been born, total MOR song, total lounge backing, Mrs Mills on piano, I fucking love it, Roy Hamilton just glides. Took me a while to like Big City soul (probably coz it makes me think of Ady singing) then Ady introduced me to Roy Hamilton, and now it gets me excited. The almost operatic backing sounds so right with Roy. This song is just the dogs bollocks!

Okay, am exhausted with that session, another bunch for next weekend!!

Cheers

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Mick n Kolla

what's this rubbish I was reading on the xover thread Kolla - you stated u don't like xover then you put this on your CD <_<

Ella Woods - I need your love

Pauline Shivers - Won't you come back home

Dee Dee Warwick - I can't go back

Dearie me - Scotty ... read my replies on that Xover thread when you're sober and you'll see that my idea of what CROSSover is, is NOTHING like yours (or actually anyone elses come to think of it). The three you've listed from my CD i'd never dream of calling Xover... They're just good soul records :)

And before anyone asks again (cause I can't bare thinking about the tunes) IMO crossover is the sort of music Rocky would do his pre-match warm-ups too :D Never, never, never; Heaven in the Afternoon; that Lady in Red (or red dress song about a prostitute), Janice, Take me Up to the Top of the Stairs ... Not the stuff that Mr Roberts put on that Goldmine Cd years ago. I know i'm probably well off the mark but I needed a word years ago to described the songs I hated and Xover seemed apt.

Argh.... get those songs out of my head :angry:

---------------------------

Jock

I'm well made up you liked the CD - AL and I have a weeks holiday coming up so will give us plenty time to crack on with the rest of the reviews.

Social source share

Chalkys next, and serious serious quality music on here, not one bad tune, our tastes are very similar Mr Chalk, you just have far better records!

Sing Magowan - Just In The Nick Of Time - Superb opening, my ears pricked, great walking pace beat (an old Pete Lawson saying), superb smooth vocal, always keeping pace with the backing, subtle backing this time but very effective. Can only pay this highest compliment is that I would love to have heard this out for the first time as it would make me dance, that doesnt happen very often now!!

Thanks for the comments Jock and glad you enjoyed the CD.

As for Syng McGowan...it will be coming to a place near you soon...Edinburg in December :thumbsup:

Social source share

Listened to a couple more today.

First off Mark Baildon's :lol:

Charlie McCoy & Escorts - My Baby's Back Again - Monument. One I've had on tape for years and always good to hear this again. Charlie pleased because as the title suggests his Baby's Come Back. Soulful and then some.

Four Counts - A Home In Loveland - Lyndel Mid tempo mover and great group harmony....love this kind of stuff :thumbup:

Cynthia & Imaginary Three - Thats What I Am - Big Hit Always rated this. Can remember getting this for the first time on tape in the 80's from Tony Parker. Presume this is the same group as the one on Blue Rock.

Next was Jocks and like Marks difficult to pick a final three :unsure: such was the quality :lol:

Mel Heuston - Searching - Cez Vista For some reason it reminds me of the Fantastic Four :thumbsup: don't ask why :shades: Perfect mid-tempo :lol:

Patti Ward - (Girls) You Have To Wait For Love - Road Brilliant. Known this many years but totally forgot all about it.

Fantastic Four - I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love - Soul Have "Sweet" James Epps and trhe boys done a bad record? I don't think so and a group I could listen too all day :lol:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Had a listen to Dan's tonight and so hard to pick three from this, seriously, so many faves and records thyat have been in my collection (s) at one time or another.

Kenny Sheppard...bought for £12 in the 80's off Butch. Andrea Henry swapped for Nat. 4 on Boola Boola :thumbsup: Wade Flemmons, shites all over Jeanette :lol:

But as I have to pick three only here they are....

Clyde McPhatter - Lonely People Can Afford To Cry - Amy Now mine was a pink issue and said Can't and not Can. Covered up as Ernie Andrews - Neither Will I at Stafford, this awsesome slice of mid tempo just oozes soul.

Harry & Keyavas - If This Is Goodbye - IPG You can plainly hear the vocals of Harry Starr asking what he's gonna do on his own. Mid-tempo perfection, soul and then some IMO.

Bobbie Smith - Walk On Into My Heart - American Arts Epitomizes the 80's soul scene. Seems to be getting popular again and who can fault it, sheer class always shines through.

Great cd Dan :lol: As are all of the others too :thumbup:

Social source share

Wade Flemmons, shites all over Jeanette  :thumbsup:

Bobbie Smith - Walk On Into My Heart - American Arts  Epitomizes the 80's soul scene.  Seems to be getting popular again and who can fault it, sheer class always shines through.

link

Gotta fully agree with the Chalkster on these two comments :lol:

Jeanette.... 300ish.... That Other Place.... 150ish.... wouldn't look out of place with "values" reversed :lol:

Social source share

LAst cd but not least is the one from P5OULH (Paul Havekin).

Again some class stuff to choose form but in the end decided on....

Garnett Mimms - Everytime- UA As you would expect from true soul legend with a voice to die for, truly great singer and such an under-rated one at that!!

The Rays & Hal Miller - Love Another Girl - Amy Fantastic male group soul. You can just imagine Hal belting this out on the street corner with the Rays adding the impressive backing.

Roy Hamilton - Reach Out For Me - RCA One of the greatest voices EVER!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Had a listen to Dan's tonight and so hard to pick three from this, seriously, so many faves and records thyat have been in my collection (s) at one time or another.

Kenny Sheppard...bought for £12 in the 80's off Butch. Andrea Henry swapped for Nat. 4 on Boola Boola  :( Wade Flemmons, shites all over Jeanette  :P

But as I have to pick three only here they are....

Clyde McPhatter - Lonely People Can Afford To Cry - Amy Now mine was a pink issue and said Can't and not Can.  Covered up as Ernie Andrews -  Neither Will I at Stafford, this awsesome slice of mid tempo just oozes soul.

Harry & Keyavas - If This Is Goodbye - IPG  You can plainly hear the vocals of Harry Starr asking what he's gonna do on his own.  Mid-tempo perfection, soul and then some IMO.

Bobbie Smith - Walk On Into My Heart - American Arts  Epitomizes the 80's soul scene.  Seems to be getting popular again and who can fault it, sheer class always shines through.

Great cd Dan  :(   As are all of the others too :(

link

Thanks for kind words Chalky - as have already said, thought yours was superb.

As has been everyones, really. I posted a few reviews early doors on the original thread and hope to add the others when I get round to it

dan

Social source share

some more reveiws

jason jazzy

phil parry love the insistent start then it drops back to a nice tempo.

roger freeman real oddball one sort of mocking-bird type beat.

jimmy williams very teddy randazzo prodution on this

paul havekin

kylo turner really good big voice new york/jamaican soul.

cosmo have been after this since paul first played it to me

j b bingham this is the version

dan collins

harry and the keyavas love this i should reqally play it more often

kenny sheppard superb!

maurice jackson love this so laid back and classy

nick g

buddy connor class love this want one

bonnie brisker love this got one

percy and them a brilliant double sider think paul regrets swapping this to me

craig westwood

freddie paris has he ever done anything bad

springfield rifle perfect and always gets a good dancefloor reaction

dena barnes brilliant is this other side of if you ever walked if so this must be one of the best double siders around

jocks

bobby reed not heard this before nice piano led tune

creation thought this would have gone massive a couple of years ago

george jackson what a voice big beat ballad at its best

soul source

johnny moore this is brilliant will have to find one of these

ben-e-king i am a bit of a sucker for the latiny drifters style songs

worlds funkiest band a slightly smoother versionthink buddy shaves it though

thats your lot

as i have not got mark bicknells or the aussie ones yet.

mark

Social source share

Actually...

I am preparing my reviews and will post them soon. I am still missing CDs from Mark Bicknell, Miss Goldie, and Jock. Jock tried to send me one but got a return because of an incorrect zip code.

My address again:

JASON H. THORNTON

CREATIVE PRINT GROUP

1560 CATON CENTER DRIVE

BALTIMORE, MD 21227

USA

Hope to see those CDs come thorugh. I've really enjoyed all of the others as a whole. My reviews are coming soon-I promise.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

thanks chalky, it's the only response I've had so I'd better take you up on it! I'll email you later.

link

didn't I do one for you hippo a few weeks back? if not I'll happily do one

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!