Mr Floods Party Versions

This one came up on ANS Mk 1 a few years back but I don't know if we ever got to the bottom of it. I have a compilation album called "Soul Explosion" which came out in the UK-mine is a South African copy with the cover slightly censored (the girl's breasts,specifically her nipples, have a band of text across them). The track listing is the same on both releases but on the S.A. copy "Compared To What" is credited to "Titus Oates" but it's definitely one of the "Mr Floods Party" recordings. So the questions are- Is it the only time the track is credited to "Titus Oates" ? (and why is it ?) How many version by "Mr Floods Party" are there? As far as I know there are three, but I'm still not clear about this one. And how many other album covers are censored ?

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i like the sound of this topic. :yes:

not sure if its worthwhile to keep adding posts with titles of this nature though?

Simon, before i steam in and create another battle, would it be possible for you to have a re-think on the title?

leave it to you mate.

cheers

Shane

ps. i know i am leaving myself wide open to ridicule and sarcasm but i hope we can agree without one or two easy jokes??

:thumbsup:

Social source share

i like the sound of this topic. :lol:

not sure if its worthwhile to keep adding posts with titles of this nature though?

Simon, before i steam in and create another battle, would it be possible for you to have a re-think on the title?

leave it to you mate.

cheers

Shane

ps. i know i am leaving myself wide open to ridicule and sarcasm but i hope we can agree without one or two easy jokes??

Instantly lost interest when I clicked on the topic title and no pictures came up...... :yes:

Social source share

I believe a more 'street' way of putting it, is 'lovely lady lumps' as per the Black Eyed Peas recent 'Hit Parade' topper.

Slightly away from the main topic.........but have always wondered if they realised there was a 60's group of the same name......and if they are still here got any money from the 'recent' BEP

Social source share

This one came up on ANS Mk 1 a few years back but I don't know if we ever got to the bottom of it. I have a compilation album called "Soul Explosion" which came out in the UK-mine is a South African copy with the cover slightly censored (the girl's breasts,specifically her nipples, have a band of text across them). The track listing is the same on both releases but on the S.A. copy "Compared To What" is credited to "Titus Oates" but it's definitely one of the "Mr Floods Party" recordings. So the questions are- Is it the only time the track is credited to "Titus Oates" ? (and why is it ?) How many version by "Mr Floods Party" are there? As far as I know there are three, but I'm still not clear about this one.

Titus Oates released an album "Jungle Lady" on the Lips label (no , honestly) in 1974 . Appears to be all self penned material and no sign of "Compared to what" .

Social source share

This is a laugh isn't it Shane....... Stevie Z writes three words, and you immediately close his thread and shove it into the dark passages of "Tools & Tackle"... :thumbsup:

Social source share

When I got my copy on GM many years ago I noticed the vocal is slightly different to the one I was used to(UK Ember). The GM Copy appears to be the same as the one on CD(Torch Story) but I've just dug the UK re-issue out on Bulldog and It is probably the Ember version. No "yeh" and "c'mon baby now" during the intro.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Titus Oates released an album "Jungle Lady" on the Lips label (no , honestly) in 1974 . Appears to be all self penned material and no sign of "Compared to what" .

Is it any good though? :thumbsup:

Social source share

i like the sound of this topic. :yes:

leave it to you mate.

cheers

Shane

Oh for christ's sake Shane, lighten up!

At least he hasn't mentioned reptiles and handbags! :lol:

Social source share

When I got my copy on GM many years ago I noticed the vocal is slightly different to the one I was used to(UK Ember). The GM Copy appears to be the same as the one on CD(Torch Story) but I've just dug the UK re-issue out on Bulldog and It is probably the Ember version. No "yeh" and "c'mon baby now" during the intro.

Paul

PS

I prefer them not too big but firm :thumbsup:

I'm really confused about the 45 releases of "Mr Flood". Has someone got the Ember 45 to compare to the Bulldog 45 ? There's definately a different US take of the song-presumably the GM 45. I've been led to think that the UK released version (or versions) may not actually have been released in the US on 45.
Social source share

Bit more- the version released on "Soul City" UK 7" in 2004 is different to the Bulldog issue. It's thinner sounding and has a different ending.. is it the GM version?

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I'm surprised no one has reacted to the new title. It's funcking hilarious when you read it

in context.

So you're comparing the 3 Versions of Mr Flood's Party 'Compared to what' to fluffy kittens and dogs bums. Couldn't you make the comparison with PVC corsets and thigh high boots?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

i like the sound of this topic. :P

leave it to you mate.

cheers

Shane

Surely Simon didn't make a reference to breasts in the header, did he biggrin.gif filth - Shane, it's your job as a Moderator to stamp out perverseness.......whether you'll succeed or not is another matter :P coz we's all a bunch of perverts :lol::yes::yes:

Social source share

Surely Simon didn't make a reference to breasts in the header, did he :yes: filth - Shane, it's your job as a Moderator to stamp out perverseness.......whether you'll succeed or not is another matter biggrin.gif coz we's all a bunch of perverts :thumbsup::lol::yes:

compared to what was one of the sounds that got me into the scene years ago when i was doing my training in engineering, i was plumbing in a rural area next to a river bank,so my title for the thread would involve flanges and beavers :P , p.s fave 45 women like it harder, :P oooh err missuss

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

compared to what was one of the sounds that got me into the scene years ago when i was doing my training in engineering, i was plumbing in a rural area next to a river bank,so my title for the thread would involve flanges and beavers :lol: , p.s fave 45 women like it harder, :D oooh err missuss

:yes::P:D that's the spirit........... whistling.gif do beavers make good plumber's mates and how do you gauge the width of a flange?

Who else did Compared to What. I've already mentioned Ray Charles and Les McCann - two versions - one on Atlantic and a different cut on Limelight....were there any female versions? And perhaps anyone who's got the GM, Soulcity, Ember and Bulldog versions of Mr Flood's outing could put the mp3s up - so we could Simon with his comparisons....... :ohmy: Jo

Social source share

From memory Roberta Flack did a version to0.. but I'm particularly interested in the Mr Floods Party versions. I think there are three different ones.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!