The Originals: Baby Have Mercy On Me (suspicion)

Guest stash313

Guest stash313

Just been searching through my old Northern 45's and came across this

record3.jpg

I bought it a couple of years back, and was wondering if anybody had seen a copy such as this before. Of course we know it was enver given an official 45 release at the time and has only popped up on bootlegs under the cover up name.

This has some interesting info on it, any experts that could point me in the general direction in terms of value and such it would be much appreciated...

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I bought it a couple of years back, and was wondering if anybody had seen a copy such as this before. Of course we know it was enver given an official 45 release at the time and has only popped up on bootlegs under the cover up name.

This has some interesting info on it, any experts that could point me in the general direction in terms of value and such it would be much appreciated...

:lol:

Social source share

Thanks for that Pete - somebody obviously had a bit of fun doing that, probably makes a change from knocking out fake Mona Lisa prints :)

Just out of interest though Livesey, does it play at the speed it was meant to when first recorded, or at the speed that we know from "Suspicion", i.e. plus a fair bit on the old 1210's? That would be a dead giveaway!

Hippo.

Social source share

Nice example which shows the true grubbiness of 60's paper 40 years on.

Which I made using microsoft publisher about 2 years ago - I did all the lettering and colouring and copied the Bell Sound logo by hand, then printed it onto a proper blank acetate label which I got from the States. Soz!

Social source share

Guest stash313

Thanks for that Pete - somebody obviously had a bit of fun doing that, probably makes a change from knocking out fake Mona Lisa prints :thumbsup:

Just out of interest though Livesey, does it play at the speed it was meant to when first recorded, or at the speed that we know from "Suspicion", i.e. plus a fair bit on the old 1210's? That would be a dead giveaway!

Hippo.

Hadn't played it since I got it a few years back because I have another copy of it, just played it now. The speed that we know from suspicion not what it was recorded as, so a recent copy shall we say. Thanks for your in-put.

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

If this is an Original Motown Recording What on Earth is it doing on a New York Studio Acetate ???? as said looks a bit suspect....

Jon Buck

Dont you mean John,this definately causes some "suspicion". :rolleyes:
Social source share

This is ridiculous! Sean, despite your description, to unsuspecting mugs by you calling it a Bell Sound Studio test pressing (several times) you're misleading the less clued up into thinking it is some sort of original studio test pressing. It's not. It's a total bootleg of a bell sound acetate that never existed. As has been pointed out on this thread, it's a total fake. Some mug is now unsuspectingly paying approx £230 for a total bootleg. If you've got any integrity I really think you should pull the auction and re-label (no pun intended) the description as "bootleg", otherwise you're duping the less well informed to make a quick buck and £230 for a clear fake is not on in anyone's book.

Rich.

Social source share

Guest stash313

This is ridiculous! Sean, despite your description, to unsuspecting mugs by you calling it a Bell Sound Studio test pressing (several times) you're misleading the less clued up into thinking it is some sort of original studio test pressing. It's not. It's a total bootleg of a bell sound acetate that never existed. As has been pointed out on this thread, it's a total fake. Some mug is now unsuspectingly paying approx £230 for a total bootleg. If you've got any integrity I really think you should pull the auction and re-label (no pun intended) the description as "bootleg", otherwise you're duping the less well informed to make a quick buck and £230 for a clear fake is not on in anyone's book.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Have emailed the leading bidder! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Hi Rich,

Have emailed the leading bidder! :rolleyes:

Hi Sean,

I don't think that's quite enough, given there are several bidders on it pledging a lot of money and other potential bidders before it ends. I think you fall down by calling it a a Bell Sound studio test pressing after the title (and elswehere) - that's just not true mate, it's a total bootleg/fake and calling it anything else is being totally disingenuous. In my opinion you should pull it and label it properly, otherwise you're duping people. There were a lot of angry people on here when that American seller did similar with the description of the UK Shrine releases/re-issues, which were similarly mis-leading. I'm afraid this is exactly the same as it currently stands. Here's the item and description for those who haven't seen it:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Northern-Soul-Mot...1QQcmdZViewItem

Rich

Social source share

Hi Sean,

I don't think that's quite enough, given there are several bidders on it pledging a lot of money and other potential bidders before it ends. I think you fall down by calling it a a Bell Sound studio test pressing after the title (and elswehere) - that's just not true mate, it's a total bootleg/fake and calling it anything else is being totally disingenuous. In my opinion you should pull it and label it properly, otherwise you're duping people. There were a lot of angry people on here when that American seller did similar with the description of the UK Shrine releases/re-issues, which were similarly mis-leading. I'm afraid this is exactly the same as it currently stands. Here's the item and description for those who haven't seen it:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Northern-Soul-Mot...1QQcmdZViewItem

Rich

Agreed. :rolleyes:

Rich

Social source share

The Ebay police not reported this one then?

Like I said earlier...

Maybe we should all put false labels on our records to make them look more interesting. I hope the bidders read the full text, then again, if they don't, more fool them!

this is an out and out rip off

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!