• 1 year later...
  • Replies 34
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anyone explain in simple terms. Something about the stamp I know.

What's "bevelled edge" release?

Ta ROD

Rod, I think in general "beveled edge" refers to 80s looking vinyl presses where there edge of the vinyl (before the grooves start) is thick and wide and slants inward toward the grooves... if you see what I'm talking about you'll know...

Social source share

Ta ROD

Rod, I think in general "beveled edge" refers to 80s looking vinyl presses where there edge of the vinyl (before the grooves start) is thick and wide and slants inward toward the grooves... if you see what I'm talking about you'll know...

Social source share

No useless!!!

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015

On Ebay now. Want an original. Is this it?

Tony,looked at 4 Tracks. Thickish edge compared to say Brunswick 45.

Eddie was done in 70's as look-alike boot except for stamp.

Godzilla,you're grounded again!!

Thoughts guys

ROD

Hard to tell from that photo, mine isn't to hand, if I can find it I'll post up a snap

Social source share

Hard to tell from that photo, mine isn't to hand, if I can find it I'll post up a snap

Originals are archer stamped, but theres a small stamp and a large stamp, cant remember which is the first press though sorry, mines small I think, but never ever seen a large one to compare it with, stamp that is laugh.gif the boots have no stamp

Social source share

No useless!!!

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=015

On Ebay now. Want an original. Is this it?

Tony,looked at 4 Tracks. Thickish edge compared to say Brunswick 45.

Eddie was done in 70's as look-alike boot except for stamp.

Godzilla,you're grounded again!!

Thoughts guys

ROD

Buggar off dad it's my birthday - hence pissed answers.

However, orig = big regular Archer stamp, re (probably boot) = smaller staggered stamp, deffo boot no stamp I believe.

Godz

Social source share

Hello Rod

You saw mine at Fred Waterhouse's 50th a couple of years ago. If you have anything on the Duke label you will see that some of them have the small archer stamp on both sides.

The Eddie Parker I have has the larger ARCHER stamp on ONE side only. It has Www (ie three w's scratched in different sizes all together on i think both sides)

I did contact John Manship and he did say that mine was right. I have seen a boot of this and there is no archer stamp at all and the label looked off centre and like slightly photo copyish.

The sound quality tho says it all.

Will post a piccy and sound byte

Dunc

PS The beveled edge might mean the label area to the centre hole

Social source share

Had the "boot" of a main dealer, who whinged when I returned saying " how would Manship know " ? Anyway the staggered stamp is just that ARCHER but stamped A to R running slightly downhill (staggered) Very obvious when in hand. Thing is though these look very right, but as JM has them at £15.00 thats going to be the rate until the next manual whistling.gif

Social source share

The Www is on both sides and they are sort of back to back. ie W at top with a w that looks like a 3 an d the other a 3 backwards ie £.

The picture that I have tried to take will not come out. However I have seen the boot of this and the vinyl is very dull (like styrene)

Mine is extremely shiny, very much like the vinyl on roscoe and friends 'Broadway Sissy' if you have had one of those you'll know what I mean

Dunc

Social source share

Buggar off dad it's my birthday - hence pissed answers.

However, orig = big regular Archer stamp, re (probably boot) = smaller staggered stamp, deffo boot no stamp I believe.

Godz

LARGE raised ARCHER stamp is the ONLY first press.

small staggered ARCHER stamped into the deadwax is a 70s COUNTERFEIT from New York.

Bevelled edge press with no stamp is a legit reissue a friend of mine got his copies from Lorraine Chandler herself.

etc etc etc.

The LARGE ARCHER stamp original is pretty tough to find.

Social source share

Guest Stuart Raith

Good lad Dunc... how are you cocker... how was Burnley?

Tony... Brad is in for the hip job this Thursday :rolleyes:

Archers... didn't they do Sugar, sugar?

Social source share

LARGE raised ARCHER stamp is the ONLY first press.

small staggered ARCHER stamped into the deadwax is a 70s COUNTERFEIT from New York.

Bevelled edge press with no stamp is a legit reissue a friend of mine got his copies from Lorraine Chandler herself.

etc etc etc.

The LARGE ARCHER stamp original is pretty tough to find.

But the Small archer stamp copies and the and the ones without the archer stamp, but look the same, have the Www scratched in the run-out just like Big Archer stamped Westbound records or things like Bari Track - Doni Bundick on Sound Impression. Those small faint Www connect to the Archer pressing plant. Why would they counterfeit an Ashford record without an Archer stamp but still go to the trouble of scraching on the Www. Then counterfeit some with a Small archer stamp and still put in the Www. I have never seen a Big Archer stamp issue of Eddie Parker but after looking at other Big Archer stamped records mentioned earlier, there is a strong possibility the Www will be scrached faintly in the run-out. In bootleg guide No3 it says the small archers are re-issues and the ones without stamp are bootlegs, has some new information come to light?

Social source share

As I dont have any other archer stamped records to compare, can some kind soul please tell me how big is a big archer stamp and or how small is a small archer stamp :wub:

Social source share

As I dont have any other archer stamped records to compare, can some kind soul please tell me how big is a big archer stamp and or how small is a small archer stamp unsure.gif

Thanks thumbsup.gif

Small archer is about 3mm and the large Archer is not much bigger at 4/5mm but is stamped very heavy into the master disc causing it to be raised on the vinyl press. If you hold the large at arms lenth it can easy be seen. Common records such as the Superlatives on Westbound or Magictones have it stamped on, and also the small 3W mark!

Social source share

Small archer is about 3mm and the large Archer is not much bigger at 4/5mm but is stamped very heavy into the master disc causing it to be raised on the vinyl press. If you hold the large at arms lenth it can easy be seen. Common records such as the Superlatives on Westbound or Magictones have it stamped on, and also the small 3W mark!

Thanks for that, as I thorght mines a small, another Record got of a dealer with a Guanteed Original Statement and it aint, angry.gif got this and case of time on the same day same bloke and both are dodgy. Hope he was pleased with himself, he must of laughed all the way home wanker.gif

Social source share

perhaps im wrong but i always thought "bevelled edge" was refering to the outer edge of the record being sloped at a kinda 45% angle like a lot of newer pressings instead of being flat and a 90% angle...if you know what i mean....wish i could draw on the screen !!!

Hey Spacehopper,

Thats exactly how I interpreted it as well. Can anyone confirm / deny?

Ali

Social source share

But the Small archer stamp copies and the and the ones without the archer stamp, but look the same, have the Www scratched in the run-out just like Big Archer stamped Westbound records or things like Bari Track - Doni Bundick on Sound Impression. Those small faint Www connect to the Archer pressing plant. Why would they counterfeit an Ashford record without an Archer stamp but still go to the trouble of scraching on the Www.

Mine has the small sloping Archer stamp and on closer examination has 3 W's faintly stamped on both sides also. Dont doubt that this is the later reissue but just backing up the quote.

Ali

Social source share

Good lad Dunc... how are you cocker... how was Burnley?

I didn't go in Stu. If you had turned up I would have spent two or three hours there with you mate. But as you know I had to be up early as Lucy was being a Prefect at School, looking after the new entrance exam intake.

Will aim to do the next one if not working.

Anyway, back to the subject. Mine is the larger stamp and is on one side only, with the 3 different sized W's on both.

I am now confused. Is it a boot or legit press?????

Social source share

Absolutely brilliant lads. Like me none of you have got a bloody clue except for small/big Archer stamp.

As it went up to $76 I didn't bid but it seems to have been a repress if I understand John correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of you even though I might as well of popped next door and asked my neighbour.

Next time we'll stick to something simpler like coming up with a workable plan for World Peace.

ROD

Social source share

There will never be world peace, Rod

And there will never be a straight answer to which is the right one or not biggrin.gif

So I am going to believe that mine is right (just for my own pleasure)

The sound quality is too good. I am now going to try and think of methods to remove the green A from the label. Bleach, turps, paint....................

Social source share

But the Small archer stamp copies and the and the ones without the archer stamp, but look the same, have the Www scratched in the run-out just like Big Archer stamped Westbound records or things like Bari Track - Doni Bundick on Sound Impression. Those small faint Www connect to the Archer pressing plant. Why would they counterfeit an Ashford record without an Archer stamp but still go to the trouble of scraching on the Www. Then counterfeit some with a Small archer stamp and still put in the Www. I have never seen a Big Archer stamp issue of Eddie Parker but after looking at other Big Archer stamped records mentioned earlier, there is a strong possibility the Www will be scrached faintly in the run-out. In bootleg guide No3 it says the small archers are re-issues and the ones without stamp are bootlegs, has some new information come to light?

Yes new knowledge has come to light since the bootleg guide was done almost 10 years ago. Years ago we all thought the staggered ARCHER were LEGIT 2nd. presses..they are NOT.. they are counterfeits!

If you have never seen the LARGE RAISED ARCHER stamp, you're not really in position to comment on the difference between the two.

The counterfeit BOOTLEGGED in New York to order by a UK dealer through a USA middle man.

There are tens of Northern Soul 45 COUNTERFEITED that came from this one source. He was very good at his work and they look real, with a cursory glance.

The recent ones with bevelled edges are apparently from the writer team, as Rico Tee bought a load directly from Lorraine Chandler.

The only one to BUY is the raised ARCHER stamp which is 16.00 LONG with lettering 2.68MM high holding the ARCHER @ 6 o'clock there's a vey faint 95 @5'clock with the 3W @ 4 o'clock the 95 and the 3 WWW are very very faintly scratched in. This all matches exactly with the WHITE DEMO press.

To suggest 3 W's (which is in a totally different area (3 o'clock) on the counterfeit )

is a sign of authenticity is a little off the mark, as the guy had already gone to the trouble of doing an ARCHER stamp, I think 3Ws would have been childs play for me, let alone a counterfeiter.

Please remember these were made to sell and pass off as originals, they were NOT sold as reissues.

PS the small black text on the COUNTERFEIT is thiner and lighter also.

This is not guess work, we have painstakingly documented every "different" copy we have had of this 45 we have ever had pass through our hands.

And like I said before the genuine raised ARCHER stamp original is very hard to find, as you said you've never seen one.

Hope that clarifies a few points.

Just to cement the COUNTERFEIT proof beyond doubt.

If you flip the original over, there is no ARCHER stamp nor is there on the "counterfeit". But what seals the counterfeit proof is the matrix A1-B 95 WWW is set out more or less with the same spacing as the ORIGINAL but is in different hand, with a different depth of markings, clearly an attempt to copy.

We can decuce from that, that the countefeiter was replicating the matrix marks, being careful to space them in the same way.. but they are different.. the chances of someone at ASHFORD or ARCHER producing a new masterplate and actually by accident spacing the flipside matrix the same...well, the odds speak for themselves.

It is not until you dig deep that these interesting facts reveal themselves.

Social source share

Ta ROD

Also there were differences in the tracks, even on the green and white lookalikes. On the first re-press (boot) the tracks were A. Love you baby, B. Love you baby (intrumental). On the second lookalike re-press (boot) the tracks were A. Love you baby, B. I'm gone, with the matrix number of EP001 on the runout plastic. If your gonna buy a boot, try to get the one with 'I'm gone' on the B side, then you have 2 top tracks for the price of a normal boot :P
Social source share

I've sent a good un back then (Staggered stamp)! And owe an big apology to AA

JM, 4th edition 2007 saying it's a boot? :P

Offensive language edited out.

Please keep it within site guidelines.

Just to clarify things. You have read my statement WRONG.

"Years ago we all thought the staggered ARCHER were 2nd. presses..they are NOT"

should read: . Years ago we all thought the staggered ARCHER were LEGIT 2nd. presses..they are NOT.. they are counterfeits!

i'll change it on the original statement so it's clearer.

COUNTERFEITS are replicas passed off as originals.

If you sent a STAGGERED tiny imprinted ARCHER stamped copy back, you did the right thing. They are boots, the original ARCHER is so raised-up you can easily feel it, eyes-shut on the fingertips.

Social source share

Would I be right in thinking that on proper ones, the word ARCHER is in a straight line - and if it's not in a straight line, it's a boot?

the ARCHER is raised and prominent, you can easily feel it eyes-shut with your fingertip. Nick Hackett has show the original ARCHER matrix on his scan

Social source share