[Rs] emanuel laskey - dont lead me on - thelma

Steve Edgar

Title: emanuel laskey - dont lead me on - thelma
Artist: emanuel laskey
Track: don't lead me on
Label: thelma

106 usa Record information:

this is the nashville matrix with 97700 scratched out on "dont lead me on" and replaced with 97699 59. also on flip side, "what did i do wrong" 97699 scratched out and replaced with 97700 59 steve 82387

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Guest

Just seen on John's Auction, an alternative 1st take of Thelma 106. Listened to auction sound clip, Dug my copy out (first time for many years!) and I cant tell the difference between mine and John's clip! I notice John's clip is quite a long clip (1:40) so I presume the difference comes in quite a way thru disc. dunno if it's of any relevence but I notice in run out groove the ztsc number 97700 has been scratched out and replaced with 97699. Tried to compare with the Emanuel Laskey file on the excelent "Soul Club" but think that may be the Billy Kennedy cut.

John! if ya read this, would love to know what the difference is with the two cuts

Steve

ps. would send in a file of my copy but think sending files has been stopped just now

Steve

First thing I gotta do, is check that the right "soundclip" is on the site!!

Which I will do ASAP.

For everyone else who owns a copy, you can check their copies:

here's a sort explanation for what to look for.

FIRST MIX: or the RARE mix. Deadwax matrix reads:

1st. Mix

matrix reads ARP Nashville Matrix ZTSC 97700 (scratched out) 97699 59

2nd. mix (and the one I've always encountered)

matrix reads ARP ZTSC 97699 and Nashville Matrix 59

This could maybe become a great thread:

Can anyone else come up with different takes on Northern Soul vinyl.

I have at the moment:

Patti & The Emblems - I'm Gonna Love yo A Long Long Time take 1 & 2

Showmen - Our Love Will Grow - Swan take 1 & 2

Both these are on PROMO's and are certainly different takes with different matrix markings to the regular copies you see.

Others I know of but have yet to document.

Performers - Little Angel - Sir Graham

Tommy Andre - One More try - Broadway

Any others you can add will be most welcome.

Meanwhile I'll double check the correct soundclip is up with the Promo cpoy on auction.

I sold the stock copy different take to a Thelma completist. That copy was certainly different and yuo could tell from the start.

I will endeavour to check all this out.

Social source share

Guest kermack

Priscilla Page I'm pretending (Topper) has two diffrent mix's but haven't got the records on hand to check matrix.

Derek Martin ''If you go'' (Sue) demo & issue different.

I'll see if I can find some more.

Johnny K.

Social source share

The mix on John's site is definitely a different mix to my version.

I have heard different Gil Scott Heron's "The Bottle" mine has what can only be described as a drunken intro'

Also Bobby Womack's "How Could You Break My Heart" some USA records have the intro' and some don't but the UK copy is a different mix. (The better one imo)

Social source share

Guest Guest

The mix on John's site is definitely a different mix to my version.

I have heard different Gil Scott Heron's "The Bottle" mine has what can only be described as a drunken intro'

There was a 45 issued with,drunken mix on one of the sides thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Guest

Steve

First thing I gotta do, is check that the right "soundclip" is on the site!!

Which I will do ASAP.

For everyone else who owns a copy, you can check their copies:

here's a sort explanation for what to look for.

FIRST MIX: or the RARE mix. Deadwax matrix reads:

1st. Mix

matrix reads ARP Nashville Matrix ZTSC 97700 (scratched out) 97699 59

2nd. mix (and the one I've always encountered)

matrix reads ARP ZTSC 97699 and Nashville Matrix 59

I have at the moment:

Patti & The Emblems - I'm Gonna Love yo A Long Long Time take 1 & 2

Both these are on PROMO's and are certainly different takes with different matrix markings to the regular copies you see.

Others I know of but have yet to document.

Performers - Little Angel - Sir Graham

Tommy Andre - One More try - Broadway

Meanwhile I'll double check the correct soundclip is up with the Promo cpoy on auction.

I sold the stock copy different take to a Thelma completist. That copy was certainly different and yuo could tell from the start.

I will endeavour to check all this out.

Spent some time this morning on Emanuel Laskey - Don't lead me on - Thelma 106

Guess what? There are THREE different mixes.

1. The DEMO ARP Nashville Matrix ZTSC 97700 (scratched out) 97699 59

on the site has a different drum intro and many other differences through the record BUT you may have that copy in your collection.

2. matrix reads ARP ZTSC 97699 and Nashville Matrix 59 this is the one that you usually find.

3. matrix reads AG ZTSC 97700 Bell Sound (stamp) G this mix is just totally different and may have been the one Paul Rudz was refering to.

I'll try and add this to ROTR next week so you can all have a listen.

I do want to document all the diff. mixes on all Northren Soul collectables in Price Guiide ed. 4. So help on this would be appreciated.

Just heard the rare & different mix of Gerri Hall on Hot Line.. and that's very different

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think I have the 2nd one in your list John, but:

on the 'Lead me on' side it has ZTSC 97699 59

On the 'What did I do' side it has ZTSC 97699 crossed out (just the numbers) and the 97700 59

I assume it is the second in your list, the more common one, but I dont have a deck anymore so cant play it to see how it sounds. (According to my records I bought it from you for £5 in 1985.)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

there's (at least) two versions of the brilliant 'my darling baby' by edward hamilton on mary jane.

I seem to remember Trickster playing me an alternative version of the Professionals T.W.I.L.Y.

IMO no better than the known version, which I loathe.

Social source share

I had the alternative mix of this on a stock copy. I swapped it with a very well known Lincs dj and collector (for Harry Starr I think). Until I played it I'd never heard it but apparently it did come out on a Kent cd. Totally different take though, much sparser.

Social source share

Theres 2 versions of Pricilla page on Topper one has an N or M after the record number i remeber Adey pierce having on

and i seem to remeber Tim brown having 2 versions of Romona Collins youve been cheating one was crap

Pricilla Page, one is T-101 t'other is T-101RM

Seem to recall somewhere in the back of my mind,three mixes of Romona Collins :ohmy: long intro, short intro and......

Social source share

Guest Guest

Kenny Smith,lord whats happening to our people,how many differant intro`s,labels etc,same with Sequins,he`s a flirt,some start with a "2-3-4"if you know what i mean? :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest kermack

Gracie Dumas...two takes but sure one was acetate
:)

The El Dorado acetate with the (is it a xylophone !!) way back in the mix and the released one way up..........what was it released on ? :search:

Johnny K.

Social source share

Kenny Smith,lord whats happening to our people,how many differant intro`s,labels etc,same with Sequins,he`s a flirt,some start with a "2-3-4"if you know what i mean? :)

According to Kenny Smith himself, it was issued twice; the first release is actually the Goldspot pressing, it was then released on GAR (white demos and issues). I was told that Simon Sousan brought some of the Goldspot copies into the UK and so people assumed it was a boot or reissue. The Goldspot copies do have a newer "70's" press look about them, but then again the GAR copies look older because it's that crap 'Chicago' vinyl, and so I think this may have exacebated the rumours about the Goldspot pressings.

Social source share

Some I know of that you can't really tell there's difference between the mixes without playing and / or a good scrutiny of the matix numbers etc, are:

Carl Burnette - Jerk Baby Jerk - Carmax

Curtis - How can I tell her - Charm City

Shirley Edwards - Dream My Heart - Shrine

Have had the different copies in my hands, so I know they exist.

Also, got passed on a sound file of a diffrent mix of Linda & Prentenders - Believe Me, just recently, apparently a diffrent pressing!

Social source share

Thanx John, for the info, but now am really confused! :thumbsup: Am I right in thinking you're gonna put the rare version on ROTR? Anyone got a file of the "1st mix" Steve

Sorry can't do a sound file of this but attachment picture of the first mix on Thelma

-c-f0c2f--post-4107-1152362180.jpg

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Title: emanuel laskey - dont lead me on - thelma

Artist: emanuel laskey

Track: don't lead me on

Label: Thelma

Info:

this is the nashville matrix with 97700 scratched out on "dont lead me on" and replaced with 97699 59. also on flip side, "what did i do wrong" 97699 scratched out and replaced with 97700 59 steve 82387

view soul record info

Social source share

• 7 years later...