King Moses - Someone Got A Bargain

Jim G

As a memory jogger I've just dug out a cassette (one of many, mainly deep soul) Poke sent me in the 80s

Horizon - Don't Make 'em Like You

Cindie Harris - Dance me, Swing Me

Al McCall - Hard Times

Four Tops - Let Me Set You Free

Bill Harris - Am I Cold, Am I Hot

Earl White Jr - Very Special Girl

Sidney Joe Qualls - I Don't Do This

Geater - Breath Taking Girl

Vernon Burch - Never Can Find A Way

Young Devines - Ain't That Sharp (inst)

Greg Diamond - Bring Back Your Love

Chosen Few Band - What It Takes To Live

Winston Hewitt - I'm Feeling Good

Paul Thompson - Special Kind Of Woman

Brothers Gilmore - I Feel A Song

Raj - Something Inside

Mark IV - If You Can't Tell Me Something Good

King Moses - I've Got This Feeling

Split Decision - Watching Out

Hugh Boynton - We're Gonna Make It

Mind & matter - I'm Under Your Spell

Flight - Playing Your Games

Maurice Jackson - True Love Is You ........................................... (flip it over WOW)

Colors - Am I Gonna Be The One

Marvin Ruffin - This Thing Called Love

Great stuff Dave. Them were days - for me and lots of like minded folk.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All true but by "no one" I meant us lot here, not the friends of the bands and singers who obviously had access to the singers they knew, but at the same time wouldn't know who was making records in the next town 10 miles away.

I'd even go as far as to say "in the same street", guys i spoke to were so insular or perhaps it was us brits who were just too darn nosey 8-)
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's only me!

Hi Robin and Arthur.

I thought you only paid £15 for the Bos Gilmore Arthur? I seem to recall (long time ago though...) I sold it you for the asking price Poke ahd written on the sleeve - and he was a bit cross (at the time) because I hadn't charged more! One of my biggest record regrets is not keeping that for myself!

I remember you coming round Robin I also seem to recall meeting you at the Royal hotel in Nottingham to hand something over, can't remember what it was though.

I had two boxes of Poke's records, his dj box and his 'junk box' out of which I bought the Colt 45's and the Excuses 'Trick bag' both of which he had played and not had sufficient response to.

There were many other interesting bits too - I bought the 10" Richard Parker 'Just like the weather' acetate from him and years later when JA cam e to look at the stuff I was selling he seemed 'a little surprised' that I had it, and said something like 'I always did wonder where that had gone'...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

- should of moved to the 'boro earlier!

Bobbins arrived as a welcomed addition - Nu Groove Records !!

And lets not forget The Head Nodding Society :yes:

Perfect timing :lol::) .

Nick. :thumbsup:

Social source share

NEVER thought this record was special and asking 5K for a record in that condition is a joke- & Please remind me as the site is suggesting that it went for £10K at some point! Its like asking 5K for the Mel britt acetate even though it was unplayable - at least sense prevailed there!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

as the site is suggesting that it went for £10K at some point!

Pure speculation on the seller's part. I paid a lot for Sam's copy when it was a one off - not a secret, but where the site get their figures from heaven only knows! Not even US$ maybe?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

WONDERFUL

Although he was reputed to have died soon after recording the Pet 45 I have a few reasons to believe this is our man. The guy in the YT clip was a local artist in Indianapolis a mere 200 miles or so from Louisville KY. His voice in the first 30 seconds is so similar, and also as Steve Guanori noted the guitar work further on in the clip has similarities.

After the first 30 seconds ........... well erm :lol:

post-13147-0-27617100-1354546094_thumb.j

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Dave Turner

Ok, I'm now quite sure that King Moses is James Weeden and one half of King James Version who had a 45 on Soul Kitchen "He's Coming / He's Forever (Amen)"

Although not 100% conclusive but that "Ha Ha" at 7.56 in the below clip and at the beginning of "I've Got This Feeling" nails it for me.

post-13147-0-54815000-1359655855_thumb.j

Social source share

As a memory jogger I've just dug out a cassette (one of many, mainly deep soul) Poke sent me in the 80s

Horizon - Don't Make 'em Like You

Cindie Harris - Dance me, Swing Me

Al McCall - Hard Times

Four Tops - Let Me Set You Free

Bill Harris - Am I Cold, Am I Hot

Earl White Jr - Very Special Girl

Sidney Joe Qualls - I Don't Do This

Geater - Breath Taking Girl

Vernon Burch - Never Can Find A Way

Young Devines - Ain't That Sharp (inst)

Greg Diamond - Bring Back Your Love

Chosen Few Band - What It Takes To Live

Winston Hewitt - I'm Feeling Good

Paul Thompson - Special Kind Of Woman

Brothers Gilmore - I Feel A Song

Raj - Something Inside

Mark IV - If You Can't Tell Me Something Good

King Moses - I've Got This Feeling

Split Decision - Watching Out

Hugh Boynton - We're Gonna Make It

Mind & matter - I'm Under Your Spell

Flight - Playing Your Games

Maurice Jackson - True Love Is You ........................................... (flip it over WOW)

Colors - Am I Gonna Be The One

Marvin Ruffin - This Thing Called Love

If I died and went to Hell, this would be the soundtrack to my life.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Lars got a real bargain with it too! :yes: Mines the old Soul Bowl / Poke / JV/ NCFC/ Ian Clark/ Sam copy. At least 6 previous loving owners :lol:

And BTW - LOVE the guitar break - it sums up everything those Parrliament type dudes were up to back at the end of the 70s. If you look at the youtube clip of KM he was right in that bag. Not everyone's cup of tea I know.

yeh and it sounds real ruff :yes::D

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

numero says it's definitely not the pet artist

That surprises me Bob.

Do Numero give any reason for coming to that conclusion ?

I'm still quite convinced that it is though. Although I must admit I have nothing documentary or confirmed fact.

Social source share

That surprises me Bob.

Do Numero give any reason for coming to that conclusion ?

I'm still quite convinced that it is though. Although I must admit I have nothing documentary or confirmed fact.

I assume it's because they talked to him in detail for their boddie comp (the trading card above you posted was made by numero), and they are aware of the pet 45. I will ask them more details when i talk to them on the phone.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Thanks Bob, I'd be interested in what they say. I'm only going on coincidences and suppositions which I admit isn't "fact"

King Moses (James Weeden) is from Indianapolis a mere 200 mile from Louisville

A King Moses is playing in Indianapolis late 70's to late 80's (ads in The Indianapolis Recorder from that time) and a King Moses is recording in Louisville at around the same time seems a bit coincidental to me and of course OH, KY and IN are all adjoined so not a lot of distance there.

They sound so very similar in parts and as others have stated the guitar work in the "live" clip has similarities to that in "I've Got This Feeling" plus the so similar "Ha Ha" in IGTF and He's Forever (Amen).

I may be way off base but that's how it is when something gets in yer head.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!