Soul Auction

Mickjay33

Were these publicised on here ? Maybe I missed the ad.............

I dont think that auction house was the best placed to sell them, hence prices would have been low............

There was a thread on it with a link to the auction site and full details of the lots in this collection. It certainly sounded as though the word had got around on this one. Would have liked to have gone myself but couldn't afford the fuel let alone a bid.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Agree with Tony not much quality there, seems like loads of below average stuff making way way beyond its normal sale value. I bid on a few things including the Jock Mitchell which unlike some things seemed reasonable at 270 plus buyers premium. I had intended to go to the auction but there appeared to be too much unsalable dross on sight of the catalogue. They did have a 'northern soul expert' advising them apparently. Provided everything sold that hammered and wasn't just scrubbed the sale room will have made a pretty packet around 20% each way in buyers and sellers premium.

Edited by monkey
Social source share

It seemed poorly organised to me, with not that many US rarities in there, unless the collection had been picked through already.

I wondered if it had been picked through, I looked at the catalogue and it seemed they had separated anything worth 50 or over and there wasn't much of that. On that basis, I figured there wouldn't be much in any of the boxes.

I also wondered if it was representative of many collections? There were a lot of records but there didn't seem to be a lot of quality.

Is there a sold prices list up anywhere?

Social source share

I wondered if it had been picked through, I looked at the catalogue and it seemed they had separated anything worth 50 or over and there wasn't much of that. On that basis, I figured there wouldn't be much in any of the boxes.

I also wondered if it was representative of many collections? There were a lot of records but there didn't seem to be a lot of quality.

Is there a sold prices list up anywhere?

Try here Paul;

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/realised-prices/omega-auctions/catalogue-id-2869753?page=1

Social source share

There was a Tony McGhee who was in a band called the Groundhogs from the early 60's/70's.....

Ian D :D

Hmm? I wonder? I know for a fact he's sadly in a wheelchair now. (the Tony McGhee who's collection has just been auctioned off)

PS - You've still got a PM from me you ain't answered, you lazy sod.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Thanks.

Hmmmm..... not a lot made the estimate. Putting 3 records together etc probably made people buy one lot of 3 to get one record which may have kept prices down. Forgot about that Jack Montgomery - drat! And the Minnie Jones which was a bargain.

Must be gutting to see 300 LPs go for under £50

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Thanks.

Hmmmm..... not a lot made the estimate. Putting 3 records together etc probably made people buy one lot of 3 to get one record which may have kept prices down. Forgot about that Jack Montgomery - drat! And the Minnie Jones which was a bargain.

Must be gutting to see 300 LPs go for under £50

Such is the risk of an auction like this.

Seemed like the latter lots suffered due to a waning of interest and / or money.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Not a negative remark.......but,this lot seems all over the place with quite afew doubles....don,t quite look like a collection as such...it,s far to sporadic and eclectic.......odd if you ask me .....one or two nice bits though......strange :g:

Social source share

Not wanting to be contrary...but wasn't he McPhee? Big blues fan I think. :sleep3:

Indeed he was - a great guitarist, The band was once known as John Lee's Groundhogs supporting John Lee Hooker and others in the 60's. And of course they recorded a 'Northern' hit of their own on Planet - I'll Never Fall In Love Again..... Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is an article about that auction in todays Manchester Evening News. I would upload it if i could ,but totally useless with computers. Oops sorry just noticed somebody has. Thanks Soulfinger.

Edited by nrc
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!