Goofs,gaffs N Stuff

Just kick starting an old chestnut even though I'm new to SS.

I know the ex-footballer Chris Waddle quite well, and he collects Northern from his days in Newcastle.

2 items to bat about;

1. Know any famous persons into NORTHERN?

2. Ever made a real howler when selling a 45? Here's mine........I sold JAY D.BRYANT(Shrine) for £125.

Have fun, will check in later.

Kevster(a name given to me earlier today by a SS member) I LIKE IT!

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just kick starting an old chestnut even though I'm new to SS.

I know the ex-footballer Chris Waddle quite well, and he collects Northern from his days in Newcastle.

2 items to bat about;

1. Know any famous persons into NORTHERN?

Yeah Bexter........ Mark Bicknell :rolleyes:

Social source share

Brett - give me back that saucer of milk wink.gif

Don't know anyone famous into Northern but Janine Butcher (sorry - don't know her real name) came down the 100 Club a few months ago and had a shuffle on the floor. Does that count wink.gif

I used to work with a film producer a few years back and didn't know he was into Northern until I read an interview in Empire where he stated Esther Phillips version of "Home is Where the Hatred is" was his favourite record of all time. Northern Soul isn't something i discuss with people out of the scene much - get fed up having to explain what it is without starting my sentence with "Right, well you know Motown, well it's sort of like that but ...." and by the time i'm finished they look like this :rolleyes:ph34r.gif

Social source share

Don't know if 70's Shrewsbury Town football players count but I bought Soul Brothers Six 'I'll be loving you' for £6 from Steve Biggins !! (whooooooooo?????!!!).

It's even got his name written on it (why do people do that??).

He had a whole boxfull of stuff for sale at a local record fair in about 1990. I wonder what else was in there?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I was somewhat cynical when I read in a tabloid that Dale Winton's most prized possession was his collection of Northern Soul originals.

Then he started coming to the Rocket after doing the lottery show. And he seemed to know most of the records. Danced like he had been dancing and I remember him doing a #### off great spin to Stolen Hours. There is often celebrities found at London soul clubs. Off the top of my head, in the last few years:

Michael Robinson (Ex Liverpool player now the Spanish Des Lynham).

The girl on Corrie who is marrying the guy who owns the corner shop, and her mate from Dinnerladies, Twinkle (?), and the chef she was going out with, all in a group together. That bloke who was going out with Kelly Brook. (Dont know his name, I just call him LUCKY LUCKY GIT). Rob from Dodgy having drinking contests with Irish Greg.

Trouble is I never read Hello or OK so I can never remember their names...

Social source share

That bloke who was going out with Kelly Brook. (Dont know his name, I just call him LUCKY LUCKY GIT). Rob from Dodgy having drinking contests with Irish Greg.

link

Mikey

The bloke is called Jason Statham - from North Derbyshire - and yes he used to dabble in places like Notts Palais - a relative of mine lives with his cousin. His dad does a really good Elvis turn and wasn't a bad footballer in his time - Stags etc.

cheers

Scotty

Social source share

2. Ever made a real howler when selling a 45?  Here's mine........I sold JAY D.BRYANT(Shrine) for £125.

Have fun, will check in later.

Kevster(a name given to me earlier today by a SS member) I LIKE IT!

link

but when did you sell it???

Left some records in me mams loft when I went to Berlin in the early 80s - finally went to fetch them about 94 and me dad had regularly thrown shallots and gardening rubbish about. a blue jays in two pieces was the result

cheers

Scotty

ps. ditch the Kevster handle (it makes you sound like some plank-shuffling skateboard to$&er) :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

These are bit tenuous i know but,

I spoke to ex rally world champion co driver Nicky Grist the other day(we where comparing fuel consumption our cars), he told me that his cousin used to go to Wigan, he tagged along once or twice and loved it

Also our first soul night at the manor in January (i saw ex SAS sgt Eddy Stone sat at the bar nodding his head intune with the music) I swear this is true, he was filming near by and was staying at the hotel

My kick boxing coach and doorman at soul at the manor Tyrone (the big freindly black guy) was in the the latest Chis Ryan program on Sky about Disasters (and brother in law Ian also) they both love soul music, especially Marvin Gaye

Last one i swear,

There's a road sweeper in Usk that that looks like a shrunken version of William Hague, he always listens to soul music of some kind (on a portable cd player) while sweeping the streets (well he's famous around these parts any way)

I know a bit dodgy, but i do live in Wales

Regards........... Andrew

PS, if anybody feels the need to send me nasty e-mails could you please put Andrew O'Leary in the subject feild (so the kids don't open it by mistake; cheers all the best andrew

Social source share

Martin Johnson, England rugby world cup captain and Market Harborough's second most-famous son, dabbles in a bit of northern, as does ex-England and Leicester hooker Dorian West.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

have had and traded records with snooker player Steve Davis! he buys a lot of his records off of the Bay! got good taste too :rolleyes::D:thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!