Dells - Thinking 'bout You

Dayo

I'm certainly a latecomer to this incredible track.

Been playing it non stop for a week now and I can't believe I'd never given it serious attention. Thinking "Bout You is fast becoming my fave Dells recording; although, Always Together is very special.

Can anyone tell me when the former first got played out? What's your fave Dells song?

Anyone else had a similar experince with a tune that's been around for yonks, and you've only just got into it?

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Been playing it non stop for a week now and I can't believe I'd never given it serious attention. Thinking "Bout You is fast becoming my fave Dells recording; although, Always Together is very special.

Can anyone tell me when the former first got played out? What's your fave Dells song?

Anyone else had a similar experince with a tune that's been around for yonks, and you've only just got into it?

Colin

Make Sure :D

Social source share

Colin

Fantastic record Col - dont know who first played it tho ' . First heard it in early 90s . .

Dells one of my fave groups - fave tracks are:

Make Sure ( Still to be had cheap - incredible 45 )

Just As Long As We're In Love ( Awesome - great version by Terry Callier too )

There Is b/w Hallways Of My Mind ( U can still buy this for a quid on ebay!! Love It )

All About The Paper ( Always loved this classic )

Can't get a better group in my eyes -

ATB

Rich

Social source share

col

oh and on the ballad front " stay in my corner" 6 minutes of sheer brilliance

dave

Could agree more. The interplay of Marvin Junior's baritone and Chuck Barksdale's tenor is superb and the way Chuck holds those notes forever on the word 'stay' is almost beyond belief. A shimmering record.

Above should read "Couldn't agree more".

Dells___Stay_in_my_cornerRe1.mp3

Social source share

Guest janey

Colin

For me it has to be "It's All Up To You"...top tune...makes me feel good whenever I play it :D

Top group though!!!never done a bad tune!!! Up there at the top of my faves!! :D

Janey

Social source share

Colin

Old Ady Harley tip, he used to play it on the few times he ever dj'd back in 80's (in the good old days when collectors didn't automatically think a few records = dj's cv :D:D ) great record, try also their other lesser known, Inspiration, absolutely rip roaring vocal performance.

Cheers

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

It's very hard to pick just one track by The Dells, but "The Love We Had (Stays On My Mind)" is one of the most instense soul ballads of all time. A great performance, not only for The Dells, but also for Charles Stepney who was a genuis.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

It's very hard to pick just one track by The Dells, but "The Love We Had (Stays On My Mind)" is one of the most instense soul ballads of all time. A great performance, not only for The Dells, but also for Charles Stepney who was a genuis.

Paul Mooney

I've had love affairs with numerous Dells toons but at the moment its Don't Trick Me, Treat Me from their 1977 Love Connection LP on Mercury. The Dells meets Philly - awesome and in the box for a Prestatyn spin.

Girf

Social source share

Guest Adam G

I've had love affairs with numerous Dells toons but at the moment its Don't Trick Me, Treat Me from their 1977 Love Connection LP on Mercury. The Dells meets Philly - awesome and in the box for a Prestatyn spin.

Girf

Agreed Girf very nice tune noticed its been getting a few spins as well.

too many great songs to choose from though "How I wish it was me you loved"

"does anybody know I,m here" Bring back the love of yesterday" stand out (tonight)

I went to see them at Stoke and they were awsome just awsome

Social source share

Old Ady Harley tip, he used to play it on the few times he ever dj'd back in 80's (in the good old days when collectors didn't automatically think a few records = dj's cv :D:D ) great record, try also their other lesser known, Inspiration, absolutely rip roaring vocal performance.

Cheers

Jock

Agree. Inspiration is a corker!

Social source share

Absolutely fantastic group, all of the songs mentioned so far are brillant. I love' Bring back the love of yesterday' and ' Love we had stayed on my mind'. Terry Jones used to always play Dells records at the Norfolk Village and was shocked not to see a track by them on the ' Village' cd.

Also love 'Make sure'

Social source share

Colin

stormin dells track for a few quid "dont want nobody" cant remember label but it is great, great, great

Social source share

Been playing it non stop for a week now and I can't believe I'd never given it serious attention.

Thinking "Bout You is fast becoming my fave Dells recording; although, Always Together is

very special. Can anyone tell me when the former first got played out? What's your fave Dells

song? Anyone else had a similar experince with a tune that's been around for yonks, and

you've only just got into it?

Colin

Has to be "Run for cover" for a stomper, quite like "Oh what a day" for mid tempo-ish

thingy.

Chris L

whistling.gif

Social source share

Gets regular spins at Bury Colin - superb ender and packed with raw emotion.

My fave remains "Make Sure" - the best £15 you can spend on a Soul 45. I did have the "Inspiration" 45 on a single sided demo - stupidly sold it some years ago. "Its all up to you" also incredible. The build up from the simple guitar intro is just brilliant.

Will NEVER forget seeing the Dells at Trentham Gardens. One of my all time fave live performances anywhere - even with Ian Levine in a dinner suit!! whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert