Anita Harris - The Playground

Wiganer1

• Replies 50
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

can anyone post one up of these if possible?

thanks in anticipation

mark

If i find(trip-over) one round me house it`s yours :D ,much easier than that,i think i can locate the album a lot easier,if you want one of them?.................. :D

Social source share

Thats the first time I ever heard it. If that was an obscure US 45 it would be collectable. Because it's Anita Harris it's easy to sneer. Great record, I want one.

Social source share

Thats the first time I ever heard it. If that was an obscure US 45 it would be collectable. Because it's Anita Harris it's easy to sneer. Great record, I want one.

Mint UK demo yours for £12 plus P&P

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

If Simon does not want it I'll take it off your hands , because as you can hear from the audio I put up my 45s a bit crackly! PM me if you hear nothing off him.

Beat me to it,Graig :ohmy: looks like a new in-demander? :lol:

Social source share

Until that gets going it's a really spooky unusual sound. Still pretty good when sh really starts to sing though.

Following on from Ken's story of living in the same house as The Real Thing: In the early 70s, I lived in the same apartment building as Anita in South Kensington and drank in the same boozer, The Zetland on The Old Brompton Road. Anita's husband of the day was a real violent nutter it seems, and one day beat the shiny elevator to pieces with karate chops. We had to use the stairs.

Social source share

I refer to an earlier post about oldies that were unforgettable this is C**P

=====

yes have to agree

even i wouldnt buy this (and thats saying something)

only asked for it as i thought it was a record i was after that was covered up as peggy march from around the same time..

but thanks for the soundfile anyway..

regards

mark

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Who first played it as Lynne Randell covered up ?

Seem to remember it was the genius, Mr John Vincent .

I remember one being hurled across the floor in the Fleet centre lounge, then trampled and snapped...

Not suitable for Northern soul events of any kind! A weird pop oddity .

Still i have a spare for £5 ( just got a minter for 50p)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Let's face it, lads, if you look at it from a musical standpoint, many many MANY worse records than "The Playground" have been spun in the name of Northern Soul down the years. (While I'm typing this my mind keeps turning towards the Marquis Of Kensington's "Reverse Thrust" - thanks for that one, Clarky...)

TONE :thumbsup:

PS: I'm not defending anyone's playing of it here, mind!

Social source share

Which ever way you look at it, it's a very well made, imaginative, atmospheric, 60's Girl pop dancer and stands right next to very many records that have been played on the Northern scene . Nobody's suggesting it's a Soul record but to deny it's great of it's kind is just walking around with ears stuffed full of Northern Soul hype and rare record wax.

Social source share

Which ever way you look at it, it's a very well made, imaginative, atmospheric, 60's Girl pop dancer and stands right next to very many records that have been played on the Northern scene . Nobody's suggesting it's a Soul record but to deny it's great of it's kind is just walking around with ears stuffed full of Northern Soul hype and rare record wax.

Remides me of the three degrees"contact"............ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ehh????

So its not as bad as some of the pop shite that has been played on the Northern scene but its okay in a non soul sort of way! Arent there girl group type forums you might have more success with this argument? :shades:

Maybe anyone denying it likes a bit of soul with their Northern, not 100% memphis grits but just more please, and remember there is lots of cheap shit as well as rare shit so its sometimes a bit easy to use the "you don;t like it because it's not rare" card Simon.

Simon normally (apart fromSWONS :thumbsup::thumbsup: ) you are one of the more reasoned debaters round here but can't get your drift on this one. Truly awful record to my stuffed ears.

Now pass me that bottle of gin, while I wipe away the piss stains from my comfy armchair and wait on my Morphine dealer phoning.

Jock

PS Am listening to Coolys Hot Box before you ask! :shades::wub:

Social source share

not played by me Colin - I'll own up to playing some pop northern in the past, (hey I was young and stoned)but it's never darkened my box...

Tony

I think Rick Scott famous Cleethorpes Pier experimental Dj was the first to "discover" Anita Harris - Playground - also Liz Christian, Barry Benson, Jackie Trent, Jane Hilary and lots of other UK pop with a beat. Then Nev Wherry an avid UK collector started DJing at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens and the race was on to find the next UK Northern dancer.. can't think of any that matched Carl Douglas's "Servin.." though....WE all did it every DJ of the era played a Kack UK record.. mine was Zenda Jacks - Earthquake -how bad is that record!

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Barry st John/Linda Kendrick/Flamma Sherman

Loads of others !

must say it was entertaining at the time.

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

Barry st John/Linda Kendrick/Flamma Sherman

Loads of others !

must say it was entertaining at the time.

Forgot about Flama Sherman, now that was a monster wasn't it. With these sounds being played at the time, there was a nationwide junkshop frenzy to find these previous "unknowns" added a little excitement to hunting vinyl down in the UK

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Loved the Billy Strange you used to play JM..

Still never found a UK Vocalion.

Time for a guide on UK only "Northern" ?

Social source share

...Let's face it, lads, if you look at it from a musical standpoint, many many MANY worse records than "The Playground" have been spun in the name of Northern Soul down the years. (While I'm typing this my mind keeps turning towards the Marquis Of Kensington's "Reverse Thrust" - thanks for that one, Clarky...)

Whilst we're at it I think we can also thank Clarky for 'The Lurch'

I may have got the name slightly wrong.

Sound file any one?

Col.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

don't have a sound file, col, but you can borrow my copy and copy it, if you want.

Like to apologise, but I think I discovered Flamma Sherman, at a little shop in Catford (same place I got the Len Barry lp)

Junkshop fever - good name for it John, happy mmeories of expeditions all over London and the south junkshopping in the early 70s - it was amazing the stuff we used to get!

Social source share

But... it's Anita Bloody Harris!!!

Am I missing something?

Are people going to be on the lookout for unreleased John Noakes acetates, or Lesley Judd demos? Maybe Peter Purves is a secret soul man and cut some wicked modern sides?

This is rank white British pop nonsense - surely it has no place on a (theoretically) Black American rare soul scene?

Aren't there enough brilliant forgotten /semi-known SOUL records that need airing before artefacts such as this are regarded as being credible?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

But... it's Anita Bloody Harris!!!

Am I missing something?

Are people going to be on the lookout for unreleased John Noakes acetates, or Lesley Judd demos? Maybe Peter Purves is a secret soul man and cut some wicked modern sides?

This is rank white British pop nonsense - surely it has no place on a (theoretically) Black American rare soul scene?

Aren't there enough brilliant forgotten /semi-known SOUL records that need airing before artefacts such as this are regarded as being credible?

"Rank White American Pop Nonsense" like Curtis Lee's dreadful "Is She In Your Town" doesn't really have any place on our theoretiaclly Black American rare soul scene, either, but it that a) has never stopped it from getting played and cool.gif never stops people paying stupid money for a Mira original...

BTW Peter Purves IS a secret soul man - I have that on the highest authority (Janet Ellis..)

BTW and also on the subject of Curtis Lee, this is the same CL who did the original versions of Showaddywaddy classics "Under The Moon Of Love" and "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" - how soulful does that make him, then?

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

"Rank White American Pop Nonsense" like Curtis Lee's dreadful "Is She In Your Town" doesn't really have any place on our theoretiaclly Black American rare soul scene, either, but it that a) has never stopped it from getting played and cool.gif never stops people paying stupid money for a Mira original...

BTW Peter Purves IS a secret soul man - I have that on the highest authority (Janet Ellis..)

BTW and also on the subject of Curtis Lee, this is the same CL who did the original versions of Showaddywaddy classics "Under The Moon Of Love" and "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" - how soulful does that make him, then?

Tony

interestingly I bought a collection of a Nottingham collector who stopped going to soul clubs around 1970..A regular at The Beachcomber and the Twisted Wheel. I spent more time chatting to him about the 60s scene at All Nite Clubs than I did evaluating his records... But he remembers being at the Twisted Wheel when the place erupted when a DJ played ..wait for it..Elvis Presley's - Jailhouse Rock..!!

I don't think this scene has ever been a "soul exclusive" scene ever, in it's 40+ years..

We are all music fans who appreciate a SOUL record better than a pop record..but all of us at sometime have bought, played and even liked a white pop tune. After all The D.C. Magnatones are of Italian descent vocal group..don't know anyone at the mo' who isn't lusting after that 45.

The point some are touching on..if it wasn't Anita Harris".. but "Anita Stanback" on "Soul Buscuit"..it would be very acceptable.. but why?? I personnally was very young and had no taste in anything..clothes, choice of wine, girlfriends or cars (I bought an ALLEGRO) So shitty musical taste inevitable, Actually I didn't "appreciate" Alexander Patton when I first heard it..i think the diversity of the whole thing is pretty darn wonderful....you can't get bored in this scene, that's for sure. PS can anyone add to the pop that was played at inconic clubs in the 60s.. I believe "Baby Elephant Walk" "March Of The Mods!" were also played at the Wheel.. any others??

Tony

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony

interestingly I bought a collection of a Nottingham collector who stopped going to soul clubs around 1970..A regular at The Beachcomber and the Twisted Wheel. I spent more time chatting to him about the 60s scene at All Nite Clubs than I did evaluating his records... But he remembers being at the Twisted Wheel when the place erupted when a DJ played ..wait for it..Elvis Presley's - Jailhouse Rock..!!

I don't think this scene has ever been a "soul exclusive" scene ever, in it's 40+ years..

We are all music fans who appreciate a SOUL record better than a pop record..but all of us at sometime have bought, played and even liked a white pop tune. After all The D.C. Magnatones are of Italian descent vocal group..don't know anyone at the mo' who isn't lusting after that 45.

The point some are touching on..if it wasn't Anita Harris".. but "Anita Stanback" on "Soul Buscuit"..it would be very acceptable.. but why?? I personnally was very young and had no taste in anything..clothes, choice of wine, girlfriends or cars (I bought an ALLEGRO) So shitty musical taste inevitable, Actually I didn't "appreciate" Alexander Patton when I first heard it..i think the diversity of the whole thing is pretty darn wonderful....you can't get bored in this scene, that's for sure. PS can anyone add to the pop that was played at inconic clubs in the 60s.. I believe "Baby Elephant Walk" "March Of The Mods!" were also played at the Wheel.. any others??

Tony

Hi John,

In a parallell with your Elvis/Twisted Wheel scenario, my good friend and former DJ at London's fabled "Scene" discotheque, Brian Peters, has always told me that Eddie Cochran's "Weekend" was just as popular with the Guy Stevens' hip clubgoers in Ham Yard as were - for instance - the latest Sugar Pie De Santo and Temptations releases!

The diversity of the scene (all scenes!) is indeed quite wonderful, and that's what keeps us all interested, I think. I personally never mind a good pop record coming through - there have been so many down the years, from early things like Jason Knight and A Band Of Angels through to the recent rise of Al McCarther and Charlie McCoy's wonderful Monument 45 (Charlie's 'soul credentials' include playing harmonica on "The Old Grey Whistle Test" theme, and drums on parts of Bob Dylan's "Blonde On Blonde" album, among other things...).

Although my heart lies chiefly with Soul, I''ve always collected good records regardless of genre, I like and never ever been embarrassed about the shelves full of great pop records that are in danger of falling through my attic any day now. There's been a copy of "The Playground" in that collection since I bought it as a new pop release in late 1967. As others have commented, it's a top notch girlie pop tune, just like many other records that the northern scene embraces seemingly more willingly - from Lesley Miller to Linda Lloyd to Liz Verdi to Dana Valery. If Dana had recorded "The Playgfround" instead of Simon & Garfunkel's "You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies" (the version that I also bought as a new UK release in the late summer of 1967!) I'm sure that many of those who are currently pronouncing it as cack would be totally defensive of its musical qualities...

Anyone have any other stories of unlikely floorfillers to add to John's Elvis and my Eddie (and I don't mean Ian Levine being given a covered-up copy of, and playing, "Is This The Way To Amarillo" in the Highland Room when it was originally # 1 in 1971, either...)

TONY :thumbsup:

Social source share

This has been a top thread. Maybe Mark should ask for a sound file of Sandie Shaw's "Stop" and we can start the whole thing going again. :wicked:

Godz

This is not "i`ll stop at nothing" on uk pye 7",if so i`ll post it up,i like this one,if not does anybody know this?

And Anita Harris,in my youth!!,i thought she was sex on legs,and some whistling.gif

Social source share

Here you go.Bit of a strange one this!

Boot sale find if memory serves, pence.

Can't believe this has had over 200 downloads? Got shot of this year's ago because I thought it was a bit crap. Thought I'd give it another listen. Did, and it's still crap imo. Soul content in the vocal - nil.

Social source share

This is not "i`ll stop at nothing" on uk pye 7",if so i`ll post it up,i like this one,if not does anybody know this?

And Anita Harris,in my youth!!,i thought she was sex on legs,and some ph34r.gif

Absolutely gorgeous. :lol: She might not have anything to do with Northern Soul but she made some good albums in the late 60's/early 70's. Did a great version of Watermelon man as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!