Richard Domar Records - Sales

He used to have all his mail sent to a PObox cause he didnt get up till 1pm, so someone got his address and sent him envelopes with recorded delivery on so the post man would wake him up whistling.gif . i had some really good stuff of him over the years but think Tim Brown had the biggest hit with Love stormy Weather

Social source share

I remember buying a copy of Billy Miranda on Queens a number of years ago now. It still had RD's original notation (something like "mid to uptempo soul - could go big in the right hands") and price on the cardboard sleeve - eight quid if I remember correctly. I paid a bit more than that for it, though. Happy days.

Social source share

Guest hammy

I've heard some some fascinating stories about Domar from a scottish DJ who shall remain nameless.

1. He shares his place with his father, but they refuse to use the same milk.

2. he's obsessed with german football.

3. He watches kiddies cartoons all day on 20 TVs.

Allegedly...

Hammy

Social source share

I've had records off Richard for over 20 years now, and I've been to his house and trawled through 1000's of records. Richard is a great guy once you get to know him, many people are often put off by his often abrasive telephone manner, but like I say, once you get to know him he's O.K. I wish him all the best with his website..... yes.gif

Social source share

Guest andycambs

I remember buying a copy of Billy Miranda on Queens a number of years ago now. It still had RD's original notation (something like "mid to uptempo soul - could go big in the right hands") and price on the cardboard sleeve - eight quid if I remember correctly. I paid a bit more than that for it, though. Happy days.
Don't suppose you have a sound file of this, also had a copy of this about 15 years ago, cost me £175 I think, I taped it before I sold it and now the tape don't play yes.gif , all I got is memories.

Cheers

Andy

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

I've had records off Richard for over 20 years now, and I've been to his house and trawled through 1000's of records. Richard is a great guy once you get to know him, many people are often put off by his often abrasive telephone manner, but like I say, once you get to know him he's O.K. I wish him all the best with his website..... :ohmy:

i second that, used to get loads of richard..mostly as i didnt have the internet and he was

my good source for funk 45's....they used to be well cheap.

once you got to know him he was cool, maybe a little scepticle of others

but aint we all sometimes.

like the website an glad he's made it too the 21st century

good luck

russell paine :lol:

Social source share

Guest BOO BOO

I've heard some some fascinating stories about Domar from a scottish DJ who shall remain nameless.

Allegedly...

Hammy

[/quote

I KNOW THE SAME DJ , AND A FRIEND PHONED TO BUY A RECORD OFF HIM, AND ALL HE GOT WAS ABUSE WITH THIS SAID HE WAS GOING TO JUMP IN HIS CAR AND DRIVE DOWN AND WELL GUESS THE REST BUT HE SUDDENLY TURNED NICE, BUT LIKE THE GUY FROM ABOVE HE USED TO HAVE SOME GREAT STUFF AT GREAT PRICE , JUST LIKE JOHN POWNEY FROM JUST OUTSIDE NEWCASTLE, ALSO A BIT STRANGE LOTS OFF CATS BUT COULD NOT GO OUT IN THE SUN, ]

Social source share

Bought my very first 45 off Mr Domar ... and he was very pleasant indeed whistling.gif Good luck with his website

=====

ive been dealing with Richard for many years on and off..

hes much calmer these days and far more approachable than he was in the 90's

we had a big bust up a few years back cuz i didnt follow his instructions to the letter ,(i remember the time you HAD to put your order on A4 !!) and fell out over the fone but i kept ordering via a mate..thinking he wouldnt know..

but last year i spoke to him and we made up and he told me that he knew that id been ordering all along and we had a laugh about it..

had some great stuff from him over the years and hes very reasonable on a lot of items..

regards

mark

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Great source for obscure 45s.

Classic eccentric behaviour from Richard but always decent to me..

Was recommended the Dream makers on Dreammaker for the funk inst flip £20 !

Good to see the site up and running.

Will be ordering more 45s no doubt .

Social source share

Allegedly...

Hammy

Heard the same sort of thing from a couple of people and of his apparent arrogance which is why I never dealt with the bloke however, he seems a pretty layed back kinda bloke and has been sound with me in recent communications. Whatever's said he's a popular dude that's for sure!!

HAMMY, any word on a soulerpower gig Mate?

Social source share

I've had records off Richard for over 20 years now, and I've been to his house and trawled through 1000's of records. Richard is a great guy once you get to know him, many people are often put off by his often abrasive telephone manner, but like I say, once you get to know him he's O.K. I wish him all the best with his website..... whistling.gif

abrasive telephone manner :thumbsup::lol: no excuse for bad manners especially when some one is telephoning with the intention of buying something whistling.gif

Social source share

Found Richard Domars record site just recently, well worth a peek: Rare Originals, Bargains, Motown, Gospel, UK Label Soul, Re-Issues, CD's, LP's and more.

Check it out on www.domarrecords.co.uk

good hunting

Had a few tunes over the years, Never had a problem . Wishing the website a success, just had a quick look at some of the tunes and as always reasonable prices.

Steve

Social source share

John Powney was the guy who sold Adey Pierce the Walter and Admirations-La cindy (Butches c/u)neither knew what they were selling or buying Adey bought it for Life of tears never realised what was on the other side £15 think it was

The record was played by Pat Brady in 1981 as Walter and the Admirations -Life of Tears

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest NS101

Just been told Domar's reducing his prices and a load got done in his additions page. Must be short of money. whistling.gif Still, worth checking out at www.domarrecords.co.uk

And it was a fiver for the Brooks Brothers. :thumbsup: And i was told he sold Timmy Carr-Workin for about 50 quid and that was when it was a one-off. Apparently somebody found another for a grand not long ago.

Love

The trainee

Social source share

Actually went down to his house somewhere in Wolverhampton one sat afternoon as I wanted records that he had on his list to play that night - viz Linda Lloyd £20, Cheryl Gray £15 to name but a few, probably late 80's - found him very pleasant - and christ his room was wall-to-wall records!!

Grant

Social source share

Have to concur with Chalky on this one, used to spend all my YTS money (don't laugh) on tunes from Dicky in the 80's and he certainly had an interesting sales pitch! My good mate a lad by the name of Lee Bates and I often have a chuckle about nervously ringing up to buy old pieces of plastic from a Brummie as two spotty 15 year olds.

All part of the rich tapestry

Regards

Jim.

Social source share

• 7 years later...
Guest sharmo 1

I think his dad was a consultant ,I really didn't get on with this guy when I was buying heavy in the eighty's I had a bad experience and came to the conclusion he just didn't want to deal with me.Wasn't there some kind of scandal with him a few years back ?. Tim Brown used to stay with me most Tuesday/ Wednesday and he was either going to or coming back from R.D's and he used to buy box's of stuff all good 45's , he came back one day with an incredibly rare deep soul thing once showed and played it to me at my house thought it was a bag of shit. It went to Japan for a king's ransom.

Social source share

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, mark w said:
On 10/02/2021 at 16:42, Ibiza Steve said:

Richard Domar's first issue of the Owls Effort, purchased from Boogaloo Records Leicester.

Remember he printed a review of Allanton all-nighter that I’d written, is it in that issue?

allenton22_0002.thumb.jpg.48df5f585906f8c3a42a883c30d81d6f.jpg

allenton22_0001.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, soulc said:

Hi Mark W,

is this the one in Owls effort #4

Hope you can read the scan. 😀

Cheers Steve, good to read again 

2 hours ago, The Tempest said:

I loved that Eddie Bishop c/u - Return My Call - never heard it played out anywhere over the years ! What was its real artist / title ? 

It’s Frenchy & His Allstars “Bush” on CapCity Scott 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!