Martint

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Still after 'make my love a hurting thing'....

Just missed the one on shifty's list (which was priced at a sensible 500ukp as well :thumbsup: ) - if anyone can provide me with a copy for the same or similar price in top playing nick, please let me know

I live not far from Richmond where these guys came from & I have looked for this actively for quite some time, I have even had contact with band members through a third party. Altho' its not an exact science my feeling is this aint gonna turn up in any significant quantity.

If I get lucky guys I'll be in touch.

Best Russ

Social source share

I live not far from Richmond where these guys came from & I have looked for this actively for quite some time, I have even had contact with band members through a third party. Altho' its not an exact science my feeling is this aint gonna turn up in any significant quantity.

If I get lucky guys I'll be in touch.

Best Russ

nice one, good hunting Russ :thumbsup:

Social source share

For those who can't find the William Cummings, then "Lucky Me" by Jay Griffin on Now, which came from the same stable as the Bang-Bang label, should make do! Sells for about a tenth of the price. Will try to post up a sound clip in time.

The Bang-Bang label design is exactly the same, except for being a dark purple label with silver lettering:

post-953-1142087559_thumb.jpg

Social source share

For those who can't find the William Cummings, then "Lucky Me" by Jay Griffin on Now, which came from the same stable as the Bang-Bang label, should make do! Sells for about a tenth of the price. Will try to post up a sound clip in time.

The Bang-Bang label design is exactly the same, except for being a dark purple label with silver lettering:

Same group as William Cummings, WC & JG were in the group Zeke & the Soul setters but wern't the vocalists normally, I heard WC was part of the horn section. I also heard that the reason that they put out several records in a very short amount of time under differing names etc was that one of the band had a terminal illness, so they were just getting as much stuff out as they could, but under other names, as well as the group name, so it would have more chance of 'hiiting'.

Isnt JG a funk thing tho' Gene ??? Have it some where & seem to remember it losing it a bit for me.

Also whilst it states DC on the label they were from Richmond VA.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Same group as William Cummings, WC & JG were in the group Zeke & the Soul setters but wern't the vocalists normally, I heard WC was part of the horn section. I also heard that the reason that they put out several records in a very short amount of time under differing names etc was that one of the band had a terminal illness, so they were just getting as much stuff out as they could, but under other names, as well as the group name, so it would have more chance of 'hiiting'.

Isnt JG a funk thing tho' Gene ??? Have it some where & seem to remember it losing it a bit for me.

Also whilst it states DC on the label they were from Richmond VA.

Best Russ

Hi Russ,

Well, "Lucky Me" is a fast out and out Northern dancer (in the same tempo as William Cummings) which, I'm led to believe, got played at Stafford. Whether the flip side is a funk record I'm not too sure, as it's ages since I played it at home. I'll give it a listen and let you know on here.

Apparently, both the Jay Griffin and William Cummings tracks date from 1969.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Hi Russ,

Well, "Lucky Me" is a fast out and out Northern dancer (in the same tempo as William Cummings) which, I'm led to believe, got played at Stafford. Whether the flip side is a funk record I'm not too sure, as it's ages since I played it at home. I'll give it a listen and let you know on here.

so gene, what you are saying is that if I can't a William Cummings, not to worry because there is another completely different record recorded around the same time by largely the same musicians on a related label that I can buy for much less. biggrin.gif

I think a dead leg is in order. I will have to instruct hit-man greenhill.....

Martin

Social source share

so gene, what you are saying is that if I can't a William Cummings, not to worry because there is another completely different record recorded around the same time by largely the same musicians on a related label that I can buy for much less. biggrin.gif

I think a dead leg is in order. I will have to instruct hit-man greenhill.....

Martin

Think you're best looking for William Cummings Martin!

Now tell nice man Dave to put that loaded revolver away..........please!!!

Social source share

Think you're best looking for William Cummings Martin!

Now tell nice man Dave to put that loaded revolver away..........please!!!

Now don't be silly Gene

Ok Martin, just let me know if you're serious, I think as he doesn't have a SHS signature whistling.gif we should take him for a ride somewhere :lol:

Social source share

Hi Russ,

Hi Gene

William Cummings is from 1970. It is the release before the instrumental of MMLAHT by Zeke & the Soul Setters on Hit Bound. Confusing I know as they are different labels, but the release numbers tally up & all the labels Now, Bang, Bang & Hit Bound were D. Fitzgerald affiliated product, altho' it is thought that the instrumental of MMLAHT was recorded at a seperate session & is also slightly longer.

Jay Griffin is just too messy for me, altho' it might grow on me, I like the start, but then it loses it a bit to these ears, maybe not straight up funk, but not traditional sounding NS either.

Any one who would like all of these tracks mentioned on CD could do a lot worst than buying a copy of Ol' Virginia Soul Part 2, it has all these tracks plus the awesome 'Sheepherders' & other Virginia funk n soul beauties.

Russ

Social source share