When A Pop Song Is Better Than The Original Soul Recording

Soulman

Just listening to the music used on adverts of late, I heard Elton John's version of "Are You Ready For Love". That started me thinking.... the original version by the Spinners is soulful enough but nowhere near as danceable as Elton's which, in it's own right, isn't a bad effort. I've certainly used the Spinners when DJ'ing and tweeked the decks a bit but IMO it still doesn't hit the mark for dance floor reaction like Elton.

Your suggestions for others and your thoughts in general please :facepalm:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just listening to the music used on adverts of late, I heard Elton John's version of "Are You Ready For Love". That started me thinking.... the original version by the Spinners is soulful enough but nowhere near as danceable as Elton's which, in it's own right, isn't a bad effort. I've certainly used the Spinners when DJ'ing and tweeked the decks a bit but IMO it still doesn't hit the mark for dance floor reaction like Elton.

Steve

NO

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Bit of a daft question really no offence........if a soul record ain,t quite right for the dance floor.........then don,t play it........don,t play a pop record in it,s place or a cover version.........there are dance soul records and listening soul records......never the twain shall meet at a venue .... :)

Social source share

Steve

HI STEVE,

Looks like you have given yourself away mate- a closet Elton John dancer!!!!!!!!!!! :shhh::yes::lol:

ROY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Elton John's is not a cover version. It's the original recorded version of a song Thom Bell and Linda Creed had not released on anyone else previously.

The Spinners sing backing on the EJ version and subsequently recorded two versions of their own with Bell but without Elton. One featured just lead singer John Edwards, and another the entire group. The John Edwards version was a US and UK single.

The version which became a worldwide hit decades later is an Ashley Beadle remix of Elton John's recording with added elements adding to a dance feel.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I didn't even know the Elton John record was a cover version!

I dont think its is. This is one of the songs from "Bell Session" he did in the late 70's. There was controversy over this mixing of the song, so it was left in the can for a couple of years. Both the Elton John and Spinners version were released in 79. So you could say that the Spinners is the cover version

Social source share

OK, causing my own controversy here. Firstly, the Spinners vs Elton was purely an example where had the Spinners made the record at the Elton tempo it would have been much more accepted on our scene. Apologies for not explaining that part. Secondly, sorry not a closet Elton fan / dancer. Thirdly, as I understand it the Bell sessions had both in during the same year but Spinners take number was first in the can but shelved... although I'm always open to being put right. Fourthly... maybe I shouldn't have asked the bloody question in the first place, or maybe I shouldn't watch adverts.... I've been brainwashed again :D

Steve

Social source share

I will grudgingly allow that the Love Affair version of Everlasting Love is better than Robert Knights.

But, David Ruffins version is better than that..

Tony

I personally prefer The Love Affair's version of Rainbow Valley to Robert Knight's original. But that is, of course, IMHO!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I personally prefer The Love Affair's version of Rainbow Valley to Robert Knight's original. But that is, of course, IMHO!

See, thats what I'm talking about. Far more oomph, better production, better danceable pace... just better as a pop record than Robert's supposed more soulful version.

Steve

(Sorry, meant to relate this to "Everlasting Love")

Edited by soulman
Social source share

See, thats what I'm talking about. Far more oomph, better production, better danceable pace... just better as a pop record than Robert's supposed more soulful version.

Steve

(Sorry, meant to relate this to "Everlasting Love")

Plus it's also a fond memory of some of the first records I heard that my sister bought when I was only a nipper (both Everlasting Love and Rainbow Valley). She was a Steve Ellis fan, as well as a fan of the Walker Brothers! Unlike my other sister, who wasn't soulful - her idols were Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I will grudgingly allow that the Love Affair version of Everlasting Love is better than Robert Knights.

It is isn't it, I'm with you on that one.

Two words: Keith. Mansfield.

Three if you include the word genius.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's just one of those things - I always preferred Doni Burdick's version of I Have Faith In You to Edwin Starr's and I've been told a thousand time that it's the ultimate in sacrilege - but I think the reason is, I heard the Doni Burdick one first, so that's the one I got to know, then when I heard the Edwin one a year or two later, he sang it in a different way to the one I was used to, so I wasn't that keen on it. Of course Edwin's voice is many times better than Doni's, but that doesn't appear to be the reason why I prefer the one over the other, it's just what you are familiar with.

Stop me if I'm talking b*llocks.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I prefer Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love to Gloria Jones's.

And Kenny Rogers/First Edition's What Condition My Condition Is in to Betty LaVette's.

And I don't care who knows it. Obviously.

Don't like either of the soul versions anyway, but like both as pop sounds.

Social source share

i didnt know that the love affair wasnt the original , even seen it performed live recently by the lead singer on a 60's tour in leicester

just checked out the robert knight version on youtube but still prefer the love affair version

Social source share

Again, the Wildwoods is the original version of "No Good To Cry" (they wrote it too), so really the opposite of the topic's theme.

The first recorded version of "What Condition My Condition Is In" is by none other than Jerry Lee Lewis on his Smash album, "Soul My Way", although its writer, Mickey Newberry recorded it a couple of months later for RCA. These both predate Kenny Rogers and The First Edition by a year or so.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Yeah, I know Betty Lavette's isn't the original. TBH, didn't pay attention to the 'original soul' aspect of the thread's title due to the thrill of logging in for the first time in months.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Can't really believe I've bothered to read this thread.....Soft Cell...Elton John....thought this was SOUL source....no soul in either of those and I certainly don't wanna hear those tunes out...might as well watch X Factor with my son !!!

Jeez and to think I thought I'd missed the point of the thread...

Social source share

Steve

no no no

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!