Webpage With Information About Bootleg Labels?

Youyou

Dear all,

I am looking for a site in the internet which has some information about reissue/bootleg labels.

Background of my search is the following example:

At eBay the 7" "O Jays - I dig your act " on Mojo is offered.

But, is it a bootleg or a reissue? I know some of "Bootleg labels" like Stardust, but unfortunately not all of them :rolleyes:

A site in the net where these labels are listed, would make buying records a bit easier!

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

John Manship sells a bootleg guide, that is quite all right to use a reference. Even if sometimes you are left more muddled than beofre you used it ;-)

Not sure about Mojo. I do remember seeing lots around 20 years go, but cant really remember the last time i saw a record on Mojo.

Social source share

Mojo was definately legit. I believe it was run by John Abbey, the editor of Blues and Soul. All official releases including many classic "Northern" Tracks like the O'jays and Invitations "What's Wrong With Me Baby". Many worth buying, but not for much money.

I seem to remember that Al Kent "You Gotta Pay The Price" is pretty rare though.

Social source share

When i first started buying northern back in the late 70s i started collectiong mojo releases Just out of curiositiy, I would buy any thing,even if i had never heard it unfortunatly I only have managed to find 5 as i left them at my mams when i left home, any way in all that time I have never seen a demo on the mojo label has any one else and has any one got one to sell As a foot note i work with a guy who went to the Mojo club in Sheffield. :rolleyes:

Social source share

You have to understand what a bootleg is. In some cases genuine US releases were brought out in the UK in a legit way and would be collectable (Grapevine, Stateside, etc). There are also US reissues that are legit (MCA, Columbia SP, etc). In both cases the reissues would have only gone ahead by customer demand.

Then at the same time, came the illegal pressings, in some cases made to look identical to the real thing, and these flooded the scene in the 70s and 80s usually after a rare record had become a monster hit. Again customer driven because it was the only realistic way you could get it, unless you were rich. Most people on the scene then were not rich and so the pressings made alot of people happy and some dealers rich. Some DJs at that time may have helped create this situation.

25 years on, and telling whats real and genuine and whats not is indeed a skill known by a small few. Those who take collecting seriously. If you buy from The Manships and Soul Bowls of this world, it is probable that you will not get let down, but ebay is an auction and you pay before you receive, so watch out.

I think 90% of collectors have a made a mistake once or twice, so my advice is to send off for as many lists as possible and compare whats what, before you rush into buying. If you look at this forum (in your box) lots of readers will give advice on individual records.

Ed

Social source share

ta for suggestion Danny

for something like this think the site is ideal

as built up on databases such a reference item can be made fairly easy and quickly

for example if used same system as say the flyers , the scans could be :

easily searchable

sorted by name, or date or category

comments could be added

sound clips added and so on

and set up in 15 mins

however main thing is the "content",

while site can set it up, at moment time doesn't allow site to concetrate on the actual content

if theres a few who be up for playing a part in getting content up and looking after it, can set it up and reckon be a worthwhile thing, that once started would grow under its own usefulness

if anyone interested in playing a part just shout

mike

Social source share

however main thing is the "content",

while site can set it up, at moment time doesn't allow site to concetrate on the actual content

if theres a few who be up for playing a part in getting content up and looking after it, can set it up and reckon be a worthwhile thing, that once started would grow under its own usefulness

if anyone interested in playing a part just shout

mike

link

Social source share

"Danny, you can mention the site I don't mind A good addition to any site"

ok chalky didn't want to add to political fall-outs of late its soul talk u and a few from here on there anyway, less theres another chalky from chesterfield:)

how to set a section up here in similar way, can send scans in too

Social source share

When i first started buying northern back in the late 70s i started collectiong mojo releases Just out of curiositiy, I would buy any thing,even if i had never heard it unfortunatly I only have managed to find 5 as i left them at my mams when i left home, any way in all that time I have never seen a demo on the mojo label has any one else and has any one got one to sell As a foot note i work with a guy who went to the Mojo club in Sheffield.  :lol:

link

Mojo - Sheffield - was a regular haunt for my mum & dad. It was owned by Peter Stringfellow and he booked all the greats in the 60s - Hendrix, small faces ect.

Shane

Social source share

ok fair bit of interest

would think better not to use the forum though

as forum has lot of limitations

would think something like the "flyer gallery" system or similar be better

as

be more customable - can add alter features

easier to search

different modes of display, list by categories, titles, date, etc

each entry can be commented

can display seperatly latest entries, most viewed, most commented etc

and fair few other features avial or can be added

am looking to find best solution, any suggestions, thoughts etc as always welcome

Social source share

I'm pretty certain that Mojo never issued demo's as such. Any pre-release stuff probaby just had a sticker saying "factory sample not for sale".

There was some dross on the label, and a massive amount of good stuff too. Lots of good reissues like the Formations, Tammi Lynn etc.

The funny thing was always reading John Abbey's reviews of his own releases in Blues and Soul. It must have been hard to be unbiased; not that he tried!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!