Original Records For £40 And Under

Guest Johnny One Trout

Guest Johnny One Trout

If people are willing to fork out £40 and more for bootlegs nowadays, see the Soul Brothers Inc - Pyramid - Goldeneye bootleg thread, what could they actually buy for the same money on original label that is nearly as good or even as good as the SBI record

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of the top of my head all records that i play out, admittedly in a crossover/modern set and obviously not everytime but non the less superb records

Ollie Nightingale - I don't know why i love you - Memphis (£20-30)

Bobby Moore - (Call me your) Anything man (Hot line/scepter) (£10)

Deniece Chandler & Lee Sain - Hey baby - Toddlin Town (£15-20)

Viola Wills - Have i got news for you - Supreme (£20)

Jimmy Beaumont & The Skyliners - Our day is here - Drive (£25)

Cory - Take it or leave it - Phantom (£40)

Emotions - Stealing Love - Volt (£15)

Hot Sauce - Bring it home, give it to me - Volt (£15)

Naturals - Colour him father/Crystal Blue persuasion - Shout - (£15-20)

Anthony White - Hey Baby - PIR (£25 WDJ £40 issue)

OK there's ten straight of the top of me shed, admittedly no real out and out northern there but i would have to think a little harder about that.

So come on then what else is there................

JoT

BTW I pesonally would rather have anyone of those records than a boot of any other.

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest LeoLyxxx

Doesn't really count SBI as northern in sound.. a few other under-40£-records: (mixed styles)

Winfield Parker "i wanna be with you" (P&L)

Chuck Corby "complete opposites" (Can't rem. if its Chess, Checker or Cadet)

Joyce Bennet "the new boy" (Jaguar)

John Edwards "vanishing love" (Aware)

Tyrone Edwards "can't get enough" (Invictus)

++++plenty more..

best

Leo

PS. i understand you want the SBI tho' ...superfantasticalicious!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Really Trouty..... Do you have to waste valuable soul source space by starting a topic that no one gives a shit about?

How I wonder...  :lol:

link

:o

I just thought it may be interesting to some people who haven't got pots of cash to spend on records what they can actually buy on ORIGINAL VINYL in most cases reasonably easily for less than £40. A worthwhile exercise IMVFHO Billy

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Here's some more wink.gif

VoiceMasters - If a woman catches a fool/you hurt me baby - (Bamboo £20-30)

Dave Love - Baby Hard Times - World (£5) you really can't go wrong!!!

The Mob - I dig everything about you - Colossus (£15-20)

Virgil Henry - I'll be true - Colossus (£15-25)

Darrow Fletcher - What good am i - Jacklyn (£40)

Johnny Baker - Shy Guy - Fog City (£30)

David Geddes - Wise up girl - Big Tree (£10)

Sandy and the Pebbles - My Foolish little heart/My kinda fellow - Mercury (£25)

Rance Allen Group - The truth is marching on - Capitol (£5)

Poets - Stuck on you - Red Bird (£40)

Johnners :lol:

Social source share

:o

I just thought it may be interesting to some people who haven't got pots of cash to spend on records what they can actually buy on ORIGINAL VINYL in most cases reasonably easily for less than £40. A worthwhile exercise IMVFHO Billy

John

link

I was only kidding. I ain't got pots o' coah either, so I'll join in!

What about the Tyrone Davis stuff, you can get 'em all for under £20, and the ones I know are quite good...

Mellow Fellows - My baby needs me - Dot - OK... I know this is a bit more than £30, but you can pick a minter up for £50/60.

Voicebox - I want it back (your love) - A fave of mine, and only a twenty-five-quidder!

Nina Simone - Be's that way sometimes - RCA - Easy pickup for £20, demos bit rearer though, maybe about £35

Don Gardner - Somebody's gonna get hurt/Ain't gonna let you put me down - Tru-Glo-Town - A mere £30 touch (if that!), and two fantastic sides! The first's a big beater (that sounds shit rare if I may add), and the other's an up-temp R&B stomper dancer thingy

Don Gardner - There's nothing I want to do unless it's with you - TNT - Another big beater that I was lucky enough to pick up for $10 (evilbay), £20 off manship. Unfortunately with this one the B-side's shite - bit like Cavaliers on Shrine with lots of screaming and shouting in background.

Paul Sindab - Since I Met You/I'm Up Tight - Hype - A-side's very slow and sensual, a perfect ender, while flip is an up-temp dancer. Got mine from manship's carboot for £15 I think (warped), would be £30 mint, and while we're (I'm) on the subject of Paul Sindab, if you see 'Can't wait no longer' on Kasika listed for less than £100 - buy it - it's AWESOME! Appears on eBay now and again, make about $150. Trust me. Buy it even if you don't know it. It's good. Very very good. Nuff said on the matter...next;

Maurice Long - I don't love you anymore - A whole bunch of WOW's for £20, what more can you ask for?! wink.gif

Harold melvin - Prayin' - Source - Can pick it up anywhere for about £15, although I was lucky enough to get the 7mins 30secs long 12" cut, which is a lot rarer (and better cos it's longer), which is worth about £100. One of the best 70s/80s dancers ever IMO.

And I'm sure there are many many more...just can't be arsed to list them all wink.gif

But it's true what you said about the Eddie Billups (Ask My Heart) thing, quality seems to speak (or sing) for it's self, the high price/rarity just makes it more desirable.

How about while we're here (and I'm not trying to steal your limelight Trouty), also listing the records that cost a fortune but are utterly dreadful... I'll start (most of mine can be heard on Manship's Rarest Of the rare):

Primers - How does it grab you - Hale

Can't think of any more just yet. Will add some later after trawling ROTR wink.gif:Plaugh.gifwink.gif:lol:

Social source share

"Don Gardner - Somebody's gonna get hurt/Ain't gonna let you put me down - Tru-Glo-Town - A mere £30 touch (if that!), and two fantastic sides! The first's a big beater (that sounds shit rare if I may add), and the other's an up-temp R&B stomper dancer thingy"

Recently bought this myself off ebay for $30 and would highly recommend Aint gonna let you down , its a real stormer , much better than my baby likes to boogaloo.

Social source share

hi johnny ,nice of you to put me on the right track for some "ORIGINALS" SET MY SOUND BITES GOING!!! .I Know buying bootlegs is fround upon by some, but i dont mind what i've got the record on. But you list a fav track of mine "color him farther" have to search that out .... If i could afford to buy many more each month i would.I have a varied soul collection that has originals in it but i have not been a big collector over the years , thanks to the soul source record collectors who pass on info on the lower end of this great scene.post me some more under £40 quid top sounds

john h

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The thing is at least with the cheaper end originals you do stand a chance of making a bit on your investment, not that it's about the money at all but if you spend your money on boots.......well, at the end of the day it's your money to spend as you see fit, don't let anyone tell you any different, but i was just trying to help you make an informed choice.

John

BTW I may have a spare of the Naturals at home not 100% sure may have sold it a couple of months ago will have to check. If not you regularly see it on lists, the Naturals is a great double sider and my fave version but you can also pick up the other versions cheap as well.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Here you go just gone up on Rob Messer's list if you are going to spend £20 today you could do a damn sight worse than spend it on this beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49 THE VOICEMASTERS (T) You've hurt me baby (Fabulous group dancer) Bamboo M- £20

And here are a some others i just pulled out but to be honest there are loads on there and on quite a few of the lists that posted up on here everyday

177 STARTELS (T2) What more can I ask for (Ultra soulful mid tempo) Lamarr M £20

297 CORNELIUS BROTHERS & SISTER ROSE Too late to turn back now (Crossover gem) U.A. M- £12

61 BARBARA ACKLIN Love makes a woman (Classic 6T's) Brunswick M- £6

253 PEGGY GAINES (T2) Sweet way of living (Excellent crossover) Ref-o-ree M- £15

314 CHUCK JACKSON I keep forgettin (Quality 6T's dancer) Wand EX £8

305 BETTY EVERETT Trouble over the weekend (Great Chicago dancer) VeeJay M- £10

281 BILL WITHERS Harlem (Atmospheric soulful 45) Sussex M- £10

195 THE ROYALETTES Only when you're lonely (Great mid paced girl group soul) MGM (Demo) EX £15

Social source share

And another thing...

I know this topic is 'cheapies' available for under £40, but what about when you find a rarity that you know is a rarity, but cost you f**k all...

For example, I recently (on my hols cool.gif ) picked up a copy of Matt Brown on Jar-Val for £1.50 wink.gif from a car-boot sale. I also saw a copy of The Under Ground Express on UGE (gee I wonder what that stands for :lol: ) for $6, although this had gone when I enquired...unsurprisingly.

Social source share

My play box is full of them....

Syl Johnson - Try Me

Syl Johnson - Same Kinda Thing

Royal Premiers - I Can MAke It If I Try

Benny Latimore - Girl I Got News For You

Jimmy Hughes - I'm A Man Of Action

Righteous Brothers - It's Up To You - LP

Jones Brothers - Your Good Lovin

Creations - Oh Baby

Clarence Ashe - She Said I'd Be A Failure

Willie Small - How High Can You Fly

Joe Taylor & Dominoes - You Don't Love Me

Johnny Sayles - My Loves A Monster

Reuben Bell - Action Speaks Louder Than Words

Yvonne Daniels - Spread The Word..

and so on and so on....

Social source share

Oh yes, this is my kind of topic.

Not all of us are lottery winners or big end earners, so,unless we sell the missus ,are never gonna get near the real rare stuff .Anyway most are around on one cd or another so if you must have em better to get 20 or so on't cd then pay £10-15 for a pressing IMO.

Yes it is very difficult to get a decent collection these days, which is why threads like this help us to Keep The Faith(PAT. Pending) by spreading the word on good tunes that still can be found on original label, that should also be played out on Quality grounds,rather than price tags.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Tony

Social source share

Eddie Holman I'll cry 1000 tears Bell NM DH £35

Jimmy Bee Wanting you Berly E £15

Bobby Thomas I can't wait Big City M Rare semi-known late 70s £25

Sammy Turner Goodnight Irene Big Top M £10

Imperial Wonders Trying to get to you Black Prince E £15

Ronnie Limar Love Game BRC NM £15

Artistics I'll always love you Brunswick M £15

Artistics Walking tall Brunswick M YDJ £10

Billy Butler I'll bet you Brunswick NM £12

Barbara Acklin After you Brunswick M £15

Gene Chandler There was a time Brunswick NM £15

Dells There is Cadet E £15

Dells Wear it on our face Cadet E DH £5

Dells It's all up to you Cadet NM £10

teehee is that cheating?

Social source share

Eddie Holman I'll cry 1000 tears Bell NM DH £35

Jimmy Bee Wanting you Berly E £15

Bobby Thomas I can't wait Big City M Rare semi-known late 70s £25

Sammy Turner Goodnight Irene Big Top M £10

Imperial Wonders Trying to get to you Black Prince E £15

Ronnie Limar Love Game BRC NM £15

Artistics I'll always love you Brunswick M £15

Artistics Walking tall Brunswick M YDJ £10

Billy Butler I'll bet you Brunswick NM £12

Barbara Acklin After you Brunswick M £15

Gene Chandler There was a time Brunswick NM £15

Dells There is Cadet E £15

Dells Wear it on our face Cadet E DH £5

Dells It's all up to you Cadet NM £10

teehee is that cheating?

link

Ooh keep going - can you fit the rest on? :lol:

BTW1 wouldn't call it cheating; insider promotion perhaps, but not cheating wink.gif

BTW2 my name isn't Helga... As up and coming ruler of the Soul Source forum, I declare a national nick-name stealing period, ending at 10:30am, 30-9-04, and starting..................................NOW!

Bagsy Trouty!!

Ha ha Von Trout, I have your name! tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Why not, only really hear it at Northern venues.

link

IN SOUND Chalky, it's of course a "northern" record since it was played and discovered by northern djs/collectors e.tc. i just meant it's not very punchy, fast e.tc. ...and i think it's great it's not stereotype northern, then i can have it in my top5 northern, xover, modern, 70s AND atmospheric category :lol:wink.gif

best

Leo

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

What a fella!

Such a shame others (including myself unfortunately) can't all take this frame of mind.

link

Billy, billy, billy wHY DO THEY CALL YOU THE BOOT PLEASE EXPLAIN,

HA HA BILLY GET OUT OF THAT,

YOU KNOW I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN ANSWER THAT BUGGER

T ph34r.gif HE GEORDIE MENACE

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Billy

Since my last post and although its getting off the subject I can't let the world think your a boot legger or a bootleg collector

Billy is a rare original collector with a fine selection of rare choones and has a good ear for a classic.

The reason he's called "THE BOOT" is because he has a fetish for women in in thigh length leather boots, whips masks you name it etc etc

What , WHATs up now, Have I said something I shounldnt???????

ph34r.gif Best keep me head down for a bit

Geeeeoooordie

Social source share

How about while we're here (and I'm not trying to steal your limelight Trouty), also listing the records that cost a fortune but are utterly dreadful... I'll start (most of mine can be heard on Manship's Rarest Of the rare):

Primers - How does it grab you - Hale

Can't think of any more just yet. Will add some later after trawling ROTR  :Dph34r.gif   :thumbup:   :wave:   :thumbup:

link

Jesus!!!!!

The Primers ? I love that track. Any time that comes on at a venue and I am 'quirked off mah nut' oot comes THE INVISIBLE DRUMKIT! :lol:wink.gif

Great record.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Trouty

The Voicemasters what a track, Id forgot I had it, sitting in me box for ages should play it at the next Friendship its a beauty

Geeooordie :thumbsup:

link

Two great sides Geordie you really can't go wrong!!!

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!