Soul Artists @ Uk All Nighters

Barry

Has this topic been done?

Have we had a definitive rundown of the appearances of Soul artistes at UK All Nighters and what year they appeared?

A few to start us off:

Chuck Jackson - Morecambe (84?)

Lorraine Chandler & Eddie Parker - Stafford (85)

Ric Tic Revue - Hinckley Lesiure (83)

JJ Barnes

Edwin Starr

Pat Lewis

Lou Ragland

Major Lance - Hinckley (82?)

Social source share

The Wheel allnighter artists are documented..after that..ones I can recall straight off at the Torch..Edwin Starr, Drifters, Sam & Dave, *****Oscar Toney Junior***** , Junior Walker, Major Lance a few times, Stylistics-I think???, ...Barbara Acklin at Droylesden in the early 90's( she had Ruby Winter with her)..the horrible Leeds tram-shed ISC allnighters mentioned previously in another thread the only plus point for me being Mel & Tim..seen loads more just listed the ones that quickly came to mind ..

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

..ones I can recall straight off at the Torch..Edwin Starr, Drifters, Sam & Dave, *****Oscar Toney Junior***** , Junior Walker, Major Lance a few times, Stylistics-I think???,

Dont forget the Detroit Emeralds at the Torch, everybody always does.

Kegsy

Social source share

quite a few at wigan - only ones i attended were edwin starr, tommy hunt and i think i saw archie and drells?

You did Grant, I've got a tape I did of that night where Searling is going nuts at the people setting up on stage as they keep making his records jump "if anyone ever wanted to see Monty Pythons Flying Circus live it's happening right now on stage" ... must upload that tape, it's a cracker.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Where possible could you attempt a stab at what year the artists performed?

It'd be nice to knock a list up in year date at the end of the thread.

Just been trying to find a list of Torch artists via google.

There aint one as far as I can see.

Pity that.

There must be people with memorabillia who can help.

Kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

CM was my first nighter. Best live for me was Ray Pollard live at the 100 Club (before he did Yarmouth that weekend) - was always ambivalent towards much of his output him until that performance.

Dx

'amblivalent - wtf soes that mean :lol:

Social source share

Guest Torch55

Just been trying to find a list of Torch artists via google.

There aint one as far as I can see.

Pity that.

There must be people with memorabillia who can help.

Kegsy

Oscar Toney Junior appeared at The Torch, 23/24 December, 1972.

Social source share

speaking of Major Lance @ Hinckley. can anyone remember the crush at the doors ? you think station road was bad ? this night was bordering on health and safety having a field day. serious squash, scary !

I was right on the glass door Ian - the only thing that stopped it shattering was the fire door push handle, the glass was actually bending - scary.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Over the years i,ve seen 3 J.J.BARNES.......one tall , one shortish and one in between......not sure which was the real one lol :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Major lance.....the torch wow!...........millie jackson top rank hanley......singing her yet to be released in the U.K....."my man is a sweet man"

Social source share

Ray Pollard, Tony Middleton, Terry Callier early 90s at 100Club. Chuck Jackson, Eddie Holman, Gene Chandler at 1st Yarmouth. Curtis Mayfield 5 times at various London venues. Jnr Walker, Dingwalls, London mid-80s. Eddie Floyd(sung Big Bird)! at Kennington Cricketers,London,80s. Edwin Starr,Percy Sledge+James Browns Funky People(Maceo,Anderson+Byrd) at Town+Country Club,London mid-late 80s.

Social source share

ian that was one hell of a night at the astoria.i'm getting that complete body tingling thing just thinking about it.it's funny i can't remember what i've gone into the kitchen for sometimes and i've been known to go and make a drink when i've already got one but these 80's do's i remember as if it was ten minutes ago.they were the best times of my life.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!