Gay/lesbian Singers?

Guest ScooterNik

Guest ScooterNik

Something that came up in conversation with a gay friend recently, are there any examples of men obviously singing love songs for men, or the female equivelent, on the soul scene?

I can't think of any at all, but I thought I'd ask the brains trust on here...

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Little Richard

Which songs admit to his sexuality though? That's the stumbling block, there were a few known gay singers but for the life of us we can't think of any examples of songs that show it.

Social source share

barry billy griffin gay? who knew? just did a pink search on google didnt find anything..... so it was billy that took them to the gay bar in aint nobody straight in l.a! :thumbsup:

We put Billy on @ The Carlton in Warrington late 80's, still drop him the odd line on FB - lovely bloke.

Social source share

steak1.jpg

Sizzling - that's me........are you pissed? :wink:

no barry just loved up!

i think some people used to think free man south shore commission was a gay song as something is said in there[anyone remember the line?] but i think its because people thought they were an all male group.

Social source share

Phyliss Hyman and Joan Armatrading.. Couple of rug munchers.. I heard breaking up was why Phyliss killed herself.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I wasn't really concerned about the sexuality of the singer, more about the topic of the song itself. I'm sure there are hundreds of GLTS singers, but very few songs. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll put them forward.

Social source share

Phyliss Hyman and Joan Armatrading.. Couple of rug munchers.. I heard breaking up was why Phyliss killed herself.

I believe from what I read in B&S at the time Tony that Phyllis killed herself due to a clinical depression brought on from her height.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Something that came up in conversation with a gay friend recently, are there any examples of men obviously singing love songs for men, or the female equivelent, on the soul scene?

I can't think of any at all, but I thought I'd ask the brains trust on here...

I dont know any Gay singers,but Ive sh@@ed a bloke that does LOL :shhh:

Social source share

Tons of them, very few openly though. Luther Vandross was not openly gay, just rumored to be.

The most notable ones not mentioned in this thread are Tony Washington of the Dynamic Superiors and Keith Barrow.

I'm pretty sure "rug muncher" is not an endearing / positive term. Please leave offensive slurs out of the thread. Thanks.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Again, it's about the songs.

There is pretty much a tradition of gay male singers singing about females, even if the singer is openly gay. To find references in songs you're more likely to find what some people have already talked about, which is people singing about their partner leaving them for someone of the same sex. Those are usually not pro-gay songs even though the subject material is more explicitly gay.

Social source share

David Lasley from the Utopias and 100s of record appearances - I think he's recorded some stuff with pretty obvious gay theme, although I don't know how 'soul' he is considered despite his group cutting a legendary rare northern soul record.

is he the dude on philly groove? I still need a stock copy of that since the promo is a mono/stereo

Social source share

We put Billy on @ The Carlton in Warrington late 80's, still drop him the odd line on FB - lovely bloke.

Hey Barry,

The big 'C' in the sky.

Know it well, spent many an evening up there, big bad Brian Rae spinning the discs.

Good soul/funk nights too, Mike Shaft in the 80's too I seem to remember.

But other than soul nights, what a den of inequity on the weekend.

Wonder where Derek the owner is these days?

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Barry,

The big 'C' in the sky.

Know it well, spent many an evening up there, big bad Brian Rae spinning the discs.

Good soul/funk nights too, Mike Shaft in the 80's too I seem to remember.

But other than soul nights, what a den of inequity on the weekend.

Wonder where Derek the owner is these days?

Aid.

Fuertaventura as it happens fella haha.

Derek bought a bar out there when the council hounded him out of The Carlton in the early 90's.

I used to see Dek and jan's daughter for years - he was over about four year back and stayed at ours, was great to chew the fat - he's fine. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fuertaventura as it happens fella haha.

Derek bought a bar out there when the council hounded him out of The Carlton in the early 90's.

I used to see Dek and jan's daughter for years - he was over about four year back and stayed at ours, was great to chew the fat - he's fine. :thumbsup:

Great days Barry, especially when I think of the nights with Brian Rae, he would spin anything for us, used to get a lift home with him & mither him to death every week about records, he lived right by me near Penketh.

Remember The Three Degree performing live, spoke to Shelia Ferguson that night, I was starstruck.

:thumbsup:

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great days Barry, especially when I think of the nights with Brian Rae, he would spin anything for us, used to get a lift home with him & mither him to death every week about records, he lived right by me near Penketh.

Remember The Three Degree performing live, spoke to Shelia Ferguson that night, I was starstruck.

:thumbsup:

Aid.

Ha ha that was my 21st birthday treat from Kev and Dek - great night, Sheila tried to tap Kev up at one point. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

https://fbcdn-sphoto...460449272_n.jpg

Carlton Membership is the big gold Mother at the top :wink:

Brilliant, happy days, remember Spot Watman & Lappo on the doors?

And Maxine behind the bar??

I was in there one Walking Day & it kicked off, it was like the wild west, really really much worse than anything I'd ever seen at a footie match, total mayhem! Nothing to do with the soul night, this was a 'normal' day.

Aid.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!