Millie Jackson

Dayo

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Millie Jackson: great singer, but wasted her talent with trashy material.

Frustating

Anyone agree?

Colin

always used to pick up her albums in charity shops or cheap sales boxes just in case there was another "house for sale" on any of them, sadly not, however found her version of rising cost of love which aint bad, but as you say most of trashy stuff

Social source share

Yes she did cut some trashy material but prior to that she had spent many years cutting GREAT material.Paul Mooney

Saw Millie Jackson @ Hamersmith Odeon about 1978....She was good on stage, Very rauncy brilliant Live performer it was the Get it Out 'Cha Sytem Tour When she done My Man is a sweet Man she blew the place apart....Hurt So Good's a fine song....Keep The Home Fires Burning is ok to....remember she done a thing in 1989 Back to the Shit, stange title of a song not brillant....done some county music in 1981 with an album called Just a Lil'l Bit Country.....a very diverse Woman, wouldn't mind betting that there is a few Very good Unrealeased songs of hers hidden somewhere....& of course House for Sale is Brilliant

Jon Buck

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

Yes she did cut some trashy material but prior to that she had spent many years cutting GREAT material.

Paul Mooney

Couldn't agree more. some great material on some of those LP's. Hugely overlooked by the soul community. yet another case of the rarity snobs. 'Hurts So Good' (which contains a version of the Ace Spectrum thingy and well as 'Love Doctor') and 'Caught Up' are great albums. Her versions of 'All the Way Lover' and 'I'm Through trying To Prove My love To You' are also superb.

Edited by noss
Social source share

I'd agree she cut some great material. Caught Up, in particular, was stunning when it came out. But my feeling is she had the potential to rank among the greats but let herself down through choice of songs.

I saw her around 78 in Brum, and, refelecting on it now, all that raunchy, sassy, shoot from the hip, kinda schtick was so unnecessary, and, frankly a tad toe-curling.

Oh - and the last thing I am is a prude!

Social source share

Millie Jackson: great singer, but wasted her talent with trashy material.

Frustating

Anyone agree?

Colin

I love the woman, saw her in 78 @ Oxford Apollo & she blew the roof of the place. "Caught up" "still caught up" " Feelin Bitchy" "get it out your system" are for me, really fantastic albums, i think her 80`s stuff is poor but then a lot of artists seemed to get a bit lost ( music wise) in that decade. Bought her recent cd & she still tells it like it is, she has attitude & paved the way for black female artists to be sassy & just as important take control of there recording career, songs & production etc etc. Angie Stone & Mary J both quote her as a very big influence.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Seem to recall somewhere that Millie stated she actually hates "My Man's A Sweet Man" and "House For Sale" as she prefers her Get Down With It style. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!