Mansfield/ Notts

:lol::lol:

Queen Elisabeth Grammar School (QEGS) now that was one place did not mind going to although I watched the girls school from me flat windows,

before you ask

no binoculars,no mac etc all pervs arent you

anyway flat was too far away from the playing fields/

Havent heard re Steve Wilson in years but a nice thought (QEGS)anyway

:lol::lol:

Social source share

"Queen Elisabeth Grammar School (QEGS) now that was one place did not mind going to"

Now nearly 30 odd years on and i still wake up screaming when i think about some of the teachers at that school! :lol:

Young uns today, don't know there born, ect, ect, ect.

Shame know ones got a contact for Steve. I'm told he still goes to Ilkeston on odd occasions :unsure:

Social source share

Did any of you guys ever manage to get to The White Swan Hotel on a Sunday night ?

Never went to the Swan as i had moved north by then.

Came back home to a couple of all nighters at the Civic Centre(?) on Chesterfield Road. Mid 80's i would guess. :unsure:

Can remember plenty of soul/motown/northern at the "junior" disco's early 70's - Folk House, St Johns, etc.

Happy days :lol:

Social source share

Hi gaz

Rob Wigley here, what about these lot

gary churm, Steve Lydon, Dean Penford, Mart Bagley, "The Marriotts, The Lynches, dean greenway, bri & andy lawley, Sal Bell,

all around still

Any of you Notts lot remember a guy back in the late 70's early 80's called Chalky, I used to travel from Long Eaton to Notts for the Brit with him, he was in the Army ????.

Best Russ

Social source share

Hi to Rob Wigley!!!

But I wanted to add to this thread as I used to travel to notts palais with a guy from bilsthorpe called Bucket anyone remember him? also Johnny garbett (met up with him after 30 years after he recognised me in town )and a guy called pogul from edwinstowe??

Be interested to know where they are now and wether they are still active on the N/S scene or anyone on this thread remember any of these

Also I went out with a young man called dave wilson who had a brother called steve wilson they were from edwinstowe dave and his mate dave anker were n/s fans and travelled with a guy called budgie (dave horsely)

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

:angry:

Swan hotel , Sunday nights ran by the football club back in the day long before the Marriotts

Scutty,Bernie (was one otf the original employees of Carlsboro on Duke st in Mansfield)

The Hallams in the Horse and Groom and BlueBell on Stockwell gate

Westfield folk house and the Bells add a touch of Stew Butlers Brown Cow still has the original landlord in there.

Paul Barnett and Me DJ at all the above places at one time or other.

good days laye 6ts and early 7ts

too old and still going

Doug

:thumbsup::unsure:

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

What about "trotters" banqueting suite, i think it was called stewarts when it first opened, Kev Roberts was the main man, when he had vinyl mania, on white hart street, mansfield, I remember Gary Rushbrook, Dave Evison, Kev himself. I think it ran for about 6-7 years, and was excellent. People who used to go , who I havent seen in eons Tony Berne( Bernie from eastwood) Little lynn Bower, Dave and Alan Gibbons, Karen, Adey Smith,Kevin Smith, Steve Riley, Curly from notts, cant forget him.

Social source share

Started out at the Dungeon on Stanford Street Nottingham (1966) All Dayers & All Nighters plus the Beachcomber in the lace Market also the Brit next to the City Ground. Met my wife Pam at the Brit back in 1968 (good to see the Brit back on again) those were the days, wonder where the likes of Joris, Andy Crawford, Andy Beardsall, Dicko (think he ownes/works in Victoria Market) and Trav are.

Anyone remember the night the Dungeon was raided?

Barry Cooper

BARROWBY SOUL Barrowby Village Last Saturday of the month

Saturday April 29th - Guest Sam Evans

Social source share

Anyone got a contact address or e-mail for Steve Wilson from Mansfield.

Used to live on the Ladybrook Estate, just off Pye Avenue, but that was

ages ago.

Used to go to QEGS.

Thanks

Gaz, I used to play football with Steve Wilson when I was about 7 or 8 on the pitches at the top of Armstrong Road. Last saw him a few years ago at the Early Doors although I've heard him a few times since cos he used to regularly ring up the football phone in on radio Mansfield to talk about the Stags. I think he still lives on Ladybrook but cant help you out any more than that. He might still go to the Early doors, not sure as I havent been for a long time.

Which teachers at QEGS?, Trum, Nag Horsefield, Bruiser?, starting to have a cold sweat thinking about it! Im an OE myself was there 72-77 Also a veteran of the Folkhouse which is where I got my grounding in northern from 74 on - had some great times there.

Social source share

I used to play football with Steve Wilson when I was about 7 or 8 on the pitches at the top of Armstrong Road.

AH! The old "top field". Honed my skills up there as well :lol: - can you remember Greg Mellor, Andre Kean, the Hallam Brothers (Glynn and Simon) - all off of Pye Avenue i think.

Last saw him a few years ago at the Early Doors although I've heard him a few times since cos he used to regularly ring up the football phone in on radio Mansfield to talk about the Stags.

Sounds like Steve, whole family were mad keen Stags supporters - even his sister

Which teachers at QEGS?, Trum, Nag Horsefield, Bruiser?, starting to have a cold sweat thinking about it! Im an OE myself was there 72-77

A French teacher called Mr Eve brings back particular nightmares and one called Gent, i think, looked liked mad eye moody off of the Harry Potter film. Forced to play hockey!!! Also had a maths teacher who's motivational techniques involved slippering anyone who scored below a certain mark in the weekly test! :shades: Often me :lol::lol:

Also a veteran of the Folkhouse which is where I got my grounding in northern from 74 on - had some great times there.

What about Syd Booths - propper record shop! :yes:

]

Social source share

Folkhouse youth club ? nath then "Tuffty Club"--I thought you were local soulies !!

Bull Farm Raiders--not much soul up there ?

Mr Churm at Frobisher saturday night--there has also been a previous thread on here started by Mr Wigley some time ago.

Trotters started by Roscoe Rose who used to work for kev at one time and be the girlfriend of Rob Smith if I am not mistaken

don't ever remember kev there, think he was still in Staffordor the USA at that time

what about "Hoppy" a 15 year old boy genius trapped inside the body of a 30 year old man--a full "captain web " beard at age of 14 !!!!

The 3 Harrolds, Phil, Jane & Simon & Elanor 7Glen who were related to them all Wigan goers

Tim Olive from Forest Town

Dung

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

I think you right, Rose le bonn,Kev roberts on fairly early on Boxing day 1982, storming nite, packed to the rafters, think it was all ticket. The dance floor was fantastic.

Social source share

:lol:

Would that be the Cavendish suite in Mansfield on route to the East Midlands chesterfield bus stop.

Tried booking that place in 1971 didnt want to know strictly ballroom as is the regency in Sutton to this day

what venues they could have been,

Syd Booths was a good record shop in 1969 as you could buy all sorts of things as was Selecta Disc on Arkwright st Notts,bargainsat 5 shillings galore,

Shame they had to close or move

Venues from the old days see if you can add a few.

Mansfield Palias

Swan Hotel

Horse and Groom(known as Colours 2)

8 Bells (Legendary 6ts club soul venue)

Brown Cow Friday Nights

Revolution(Jimmys night Sunday)

Tufty Club (Tuesdays and Fridays

Squinting Cat(having a renassiance nowadays)

Forest town Welfare (Thursday nights)

Bull Farm yc

Masons Arms

years 1969 To 1974

. :thumbsup::lol:

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Syd Booths was great, then it moved into the shopping centre i think, and i can remember buying records in a TV hire shop in late seventies, cant remember the name of the shop, think it began with a v.

Social source share

Guest hatman

Valences mate with Dave behind the counter, and frankie beverly originals on the wall at £5 !!!

Edited by hatman
Social source share

Guest markmtfc

thats the one, anyone seen or heard from the following, steve, ( tonner ) to his mates, mark gamble, jono hill, les cook, sean hayfield, alf to his mates, be nice to hear from you.

Social source share

Sean Hayfields dad (Makeland ?) used to run the Dry Cleaners on Regent Street, Jono (from Shirebrook?) still crops up--now and then---

Social source share

I remember alfs dad well, when he managed the dry cleaners, think he used to live just off the ladybrook, near the wmc, popped in there for a pint or five. It did help seeing as sean worked for mansfield breweries. When i knew him, he was going out with Helen, surname escapes me.

Social source share

Anyone got a contact address or e-mail for Steve Wilson from Mansfield.

Used to live on the Ladybrook Estate, just off Pye Avenue, but that was

ages ago.

Used to go to QEGS.

Thanks

saw him other year at annesley welfare, not changed a bit.

served my time with "Horace" at Combo at Sutton Junction, his first niter was at Wigan, walked it from Bolton with me, nearest we could get to Wigan from Blackpool by train.

if i see him again i'll get some details.

did quite a few of places mentioned here later in thread, another name from past, Rich Broughton, not seen for a while but heard he's still around Mansfield/Notts. great collection.

always wanted his Opel GT off him but woudn't sell, TMG number plate.

Dave from Valances was a Blidworth lad who ran AJQ mobile disco with Baz Donaldson from Rainworth, knocked about with them for a while; Dave worked for Sony in town for a while.

had some bargains from Syd Booths courtesy Phil Kingswood and Derek before him at old shop. went to first niter organised by Phil at Syd booths, aircraft hanger in Leeds ;-) two busloads from Mansfield!

cheers

steve

Social source share

anyone remember sandys at matlock

remember it well, followed someone home from there once in fog and parked behind them on their driveway, must have thought i was right nutter.

few sounds from there:

Marvels - Keep On Searching

Ben E King - what Can A Man Do

Twiggy - Beutiful Dreams ( Samanth Jones cover up).

still see Rob Smith and Dennis Mac but not seen Roy since it shut.

miss Sammy from those days, skinhead who always wore combat trousers and took whole of floor up when he danced, lost leg in motorbike accident, last i saw him was a niter at Warrington i took him to.

cheers

steve

Social source share

Syd Booths was great, then it moved into the shopping centre i think, and i can remember buying records in a TV hire shop in late seventies, cant remember the name of the shop, think it began with a v.

stayed as Syd Booths, just by small market by library, upstairs shop.

Valances was seperate shop. put Dave from Valances onto Mamie Lee "Slippin Away" from Record corner at 35p a time and he sold dozens.

steve

Social source share

What about "trotters" banqueting suite, i think it was called stewarts when it first opened, Kev Roberts was the main man, when he had vinyl mania, on white hart street, mansfield, I remember Gary Rushbrook, Dave Evison, Kev himself. I think it ran for about 6-7 years, and was excellent. People who used to go , who I havent seen in eons Tony Berne( Bernie from eastwood) Little lynn Bower, Dave and Alan Gibbons, Karen, Adey Smith,Kevin Smith, Steve Riley, Curly from notts, cant forget him.

still see Tich ( Paul Lightly ) from Vinyl Mania occasionally, responsible for providing some sounds Jimmy Wensiora played in 80s. organises Underwood Welfare.

can remember Rob Wigley (consdad) singing "New York In the Dark" coming down stairs in Trotters during a power cut there.

Curly, bloody hell, used to bum 2p off everyone in queue so he could get in niters.

steve

Social source share

I remember it , it was run by an old mate of mine called Dino , that was pre Rob and Den .he was the first person I knew who had a Ferrari back in 71-2 .

used to have a tuesday night session there if i remember rightly, circa '74. just Olde English then.

stella on draught!!!!

steve

Social source share

miss Sammy from those days, skinhead who always wore combat trousers and took whole of floor up when he danced, lost leg in motorbike accident, last i saw him was a niter at Warrington i took him to.

Sam Wilding lives in Matlock still saw him 2years ago I have pictures of all these lot somewhere---

Old E was great Roy kept his records in suitecases all UK stuff he looked about 60 in those days never said a lot !!!

Anybody go to The Manor youth Club in 1974 ?????

Rob

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

anyone got a telephone no, or e mail daddress for Alan gibbons, ex clay cross

No, but I know a man who has. If you PM me, I can get details for you

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

hi consdad, yes its me, wondered how long it would be before someone realised, so any chance of some details for alan, or dennis mate, same as i said, not seen dennis since 100 club 94, and alan since keele around the same year, he was there with david.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Bernie from Eastwood (Tony Byrne) is my good self my man :shades: Jesus what a line up. Still in touch with Little Lyn; she keeps to trying to drag me to pure oldies events but I somehow manage to resist :thumbsup: love to hear how my awld mucker Dave Gibbons is doing, him and Alan were cheeky monkeys around the Stafford era!

Had many a good night at trotters with Rob Marriot at the helm

Drop us a line Kiddah :lamsey:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

hi consdad, yes its me, wondered how long it would be before someone realised, so any chance of some details for alan, or dennis mate, same as i said, not seen dennis since 100 club 94, and alan since keele around the same year, he was there with david.

Good to catch up with Dennis at Teff and Sharons Wedding, same as you I havent seen him since early 90s. If anyone has Dave's number could you PM me?

Ta

Byrney

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to be round at my mate Steve's and read thru the mansfield&notts...links whilst playing some tunes. I remember all the places but not the faces without further id. Markmtfc? Mandtleeds? Hungdinger? Time was when everyone had a regular name or you just put a 'y' at the end - there's a number of djs, esp the local lads who have made this an art form recently.

As for venues, old and new, I did go to The Frobisher to see Jackie Ross and the brilliant Syl Johnson as a quick follow up to Prestatyn, whilst the adrenalin was still flowing after a great weekend. I get around as often as poss, still checking out both local nites and niters. Best ones lately have been Prestwich, a typical North West scene and Lowton (ditto). As for closer to home, Forest Town is a good night but that may be due to the social as well as the music quotient. Allniters are still where it's at for me, and long may they continue. Of the older venues, there doesn't seem to have been any mention of Sunday nights at The Robin Hood (Summer Bar) and just down the road, upstairs at The Dukeries. Both of these were run be Dukeries soul Club as well as their irregular Friday sessions at Edwinstowe MW. Most people at this time would go anywhere and dance to most of what was played as at The Swan in Mansfield' (up to late 75) but there was a real split locally sometime later as older (i.e. about 21!) soulies deserted the scene for a few years or more until the emergence of Mondays at The Eight Bells when Searling would try out all his new sounds, fresh out of Soul Bowl, (sometimes earlier the same day). The differences were similar both in what was played and the crowds at Wigan and Cleethorpes (Pier) a few years earlier.

Didn't mean to write so much but 'The Moving Finger Writes and having written, it moves on...'

Garry Churm (Churmy), Gaz, Gazza,...

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest denmac

just came across this about mansfield and surrounding areas.this was asolid soulful part of the country.think of a triangle `ish` stoke _ashbourne_chesterfield_worksop_mansfield_nottingham_long eaton_derby_stoke...back to the site reason. old english matlock_ what a place when the derwent was low.nicky carter had the tunes on british and the farari,farrarefarar.. an italian car outside.before that it was a lotus elan. i was on derby market place one sat night and nick said wanna come to the cats he was along side alan day in a mgc .. derby to wolverhampton.. a hundred and hands over my eyes per hour later we arrived 10 mins before we set off. we went to wigan in his dino and the cops stopped us on the sunday morning near matlock with a speed ticket;" this is from last night nick, we could`nt catch you. back to the old english, lets go with loads of names.sam wilding ,love this most soulful man. just watch him react to something new.... and buy it. andy and patti , bridgette,denise,kev and sarah,.,. bakewell .nick and margo, phil, brigs brother , naomi. charlie, mick,steve from ashbourne (TIM_rip), andrea,dave and rob gillanders, daves wife carole from derby.little mac from belper. sorry wandered of from the thread and got a bit nostalgic. i will return!!!

Social source share

just came across this about mansfield and surrounding areas.this was asolid soulful part of the country.think of a triangle `ish` stoke _ashbourne_chesterfield_worksop_mansfield_nottingham_long eaton_derby_stoke...back to the site reason. old english matlock_ what a place when the derwent was low.nicky carter had the tunes on british and the farari,farrarefarar.. an italian car outside.before that it was a lotus elan. i was on derby market place one sat night and nick said wanna come to the cats he was along side alan day in a mgc .. derby to wolverhampton.. a hundred and hands over my eyes per hour later we arrived 10 mins before we set off. we went to wigan in his dino and the cops stopped us on the sunday morning near matlock with a speed ticket;" this is from last night nick, we could`nt catch you. back to the old english, lets go with loads of names.sam wilding ,love this most soulful man. just watch him react to something new.... and buy it. andy and patti , bridgette,denise,kev and sarah,.,. bakewell .nick and margo, phil, brigs brother , naomi. charlie, mick,steve from ashbourne (TIM_rip), andrea,dave and rob gillanders, daves wife carole from derby.little mac from belper. sorry wandered of from the thread and got a bit nostalgic. i will return!!!

Nick was'nt the only madman in his motor , I remember Bridget in either her or her brothers Mini Cooper racing Harry Holten through Matlock in his RS2000 mk1.Some money swapped hands that night

Social source share

Hi Mand I dont have a phone no but I know Alan

and can try to rake out his email if thats okay for you

Other Mand :wicked: the mad one

Sorry Mandy made contact with my Alan Gibbons and its a different one

Isnt that funny 2 allan gibbons both into N/S

Apologies

mand :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source