Mansfield/ Notts

would you, that would be nice

Mark

I can't believe it !!!!!

Ive asked about you on other sites

You used to travel on the bus with some of the lads and me and very few lasses

Bucket never forgot the nick name

Didnt you catch the bus for notts palais at bilsthorpe???

Mand :wicked:

Social source share

:ohmy:

Would that be the Cavendish suite in Mansfield on route to the East Midlands chesterfield bus stop.

Tried booking that place in 1971 didnt want to know strictly ballroom as is the regency in Sutton to this day

what venues they could have been,

Syd Booths was a good record shop in 1969 as you could buy all sorts of things as was Selecta Disc on Arkwright st Notts,bargainsat 5 shillings galore,

Shame they had to close or move

Venues from the old days see if you can add a few.

Mansfield Palias

Swan Hotel

Horse and Groom(known as Colours 2)

8 Bells (Legendary 6ts club soul venue)

Brown Cow Friday Nights

Revolution(Jimmys night Sunday)

Tufty Club (Tuesdays and Fridays

Squinting Cat(having a renassiance nowadays)

Forest town Welfare (Thursday nights)

Bull Farm yc

Masons Arms

years 1969 To 1974

. :wicked:ohmy.gif

Hi Dougie!!!

Mand here

wasn't there a place called chelsea nitespot in mansfield??

Scarey place no longer standing up near the old bus depot ??

PS Im a regular at F/T welfare as you know

and squinting cat is in clippo 15 mins from my house

Cheers Mand :wicked: the happy soulie

Social source share

Hi Dougie!!!

Mand here

wasn't there a place called chelsea nitespot in mansfield??

Scarey place no longer standing up near the old bus depot ??

PS Im a regular at F/T welfare as you know

and squinting cat is in clippo 15 mins from my house

Cheers Mand :ohmy: the happy soulie

I like happy soulies :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

would you, that would be nice

Bumped into Alan Gibbons last night in the Connisseurs room at Ilkeston last night. On fine form unlike myself (I'm not very good at that there drinking lark :wicked: ). He's getting me Daves email who's now living in Ireland

I'll pm you his number later

Social source share

I smile a lot and have a happy disposition Ken

Im on natural uppers!! endophins :ohmy:

Just love the scene this time round

Im absorbing it all like a happy sponge!!

I smile as much as i can these days,but it can be tiresome :wicked:

Social source share

Sorry Mandy made contact with my Alan Gibbons and its a different one

Isnt that funny 2 allan gibbons both into N/S

Apologies

mand :wicked:

hi guys steve phillis formly of notts just seen this post i remember trotters , brit sandy's winding wheel the swan hotel . plus many others what about the slipper in west bridgeford another good night aint seen curly for near on 6 years now saw rich broughton not long back a ilkeston co.op not seen jim wensoria for years hi bernie & rob
Social source share

Guest biggray1

Yes we went to the Creepers...ie Basford WMC! And we also went to the Stork Club in Hucknall and the Coop Ball Room in Hucknall,had some great nites at these places mentiond..anyone remember Soul Man Sam who Djd reg at Hucknall soul dews..ah those memories :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Can anyone remember the soul nights at Creepers in Basford back in 73ish

Not Soul nights but used to go to creepers around 79 as a young snapper when it had the best youth club nights in Notts. Always a good mix of Northern and Funk, even though it was rough as a badgers arse as in them days every town's bunch of kids would be at war with the next town. Used to get interesting with gangs from Baseford, Strelly / Broxtowe, Aspley, Kimberley and Hyson Green.

Cracking venue, Colin Law and I went to have a look at it in mid 80s with a view to starting a nighter there (too close to residential) curved ceiling as I remember?

Social source share

Yep.. Creepers in 73/74 with a young Rob Smith Djing!!

Hope you enjoyed your nighter Mak. Sorry Chris wouldn't sell you that record at Barrowby! Nice to talk to you though!!

Same here sweetheart always nice to put a face to a name. It was a perfect start for my visit to Lifeline' tell Chris the bottom has fallen out fo the viynl market :shades: and THE HEARTBREAKERS and TJ WILLIAMS have been booted wink.gif and I'll give him a fair price :shhh:

Social source share

post-483-1146484323.gifpost-483-1146484323.gif

What about "trotters" banqueting suite, i think it was called stewarts when it first opened, Kev Roberts was the main man, when he had vinyl mania, on white hart street, mansfield, I remember Gary Rushbrook, Dave Evison, Kev himself. I think it ran for about 6-7 years, and was excellent. People who used to go , who I havent seen in eons Tony Berne( Bernie from eastwood) Little lynn Bower, Dave and Alan Gibbons, Karen, Adey Smith,Kevin Smith, Steve Riley, Curly from notts, cant forget him.

hi mandtleeds

check out the alfreton flyer in flyer gallery,bottom right photo is curly,the pic was taken in 1999 at the alfreton dance comp,he was a reg there.if this works ive attached the flyer

Social source share

post-483-1146484323.gifpost-483-1146484323.gif

hi mandtleeds

check out the alfreton flyer in flyer gallery,bottom right photo is curly,the pic was taken in 1999 at the alfreton dance comp,he was a reg there.if this works ive attached the flyer

on the bottom left is tommo another top dancer ,from palais,oddfellows etc

Same here sweetheart always nice to put a face to a name. It was a perfect start for my visit to Lifeline' tell Chris the bottom has fallen out fo the viynl market :shades: and THE HEARTBREAKERS and TJ WILLIAMS have been booted wink.gif and I'll give him a fair price :shhh:

what was heartbreakers track tony

Social source share

thanks for the number, bern, just spoke to gibbo

Mark

Does this Gibbo hail from bilsthorpe and was a good footballer in his younger days ??

If so I know him too he played footy with my hubby

Palled about with a guy called westy and steve king but they were a good bit younger than him#

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Ian

Nice to see you and Pat? (hope this is your wifes name) at bentinck last friday

Too many beers again :thumbsup:

Good nite tho eh?

we will deffo be at the july 22nd nite at your gaff :lol:

bloody great venue

shame its not more often ...but i know what leisure centres are like

not wanting to upset thier sports regulars!!

Cheers mand :lol:

Social source share

hi guys steve phillis formly of notts just seen this post i remember trotters , brit sandy's winding wheel the swan hotel . plus many others what about the slipper in west bridgeford another good night aint seen curly for near on 6 years now saw rich broughton not long back a ilkeston co.op not seen jim wensoria for years hi bernie & rob

can remember someone trying to slit their wrist with a bus ticket at Trotters, good times eh Steve ;-)

Social source share

Yes we went to the Creepers...ie Basford WMC! And we also went to the Stork Club in Hucknall and the Coop Ball Room in Hucknall,had some great nites at these places mentiond..anyone remember Soul Man Sam who Djd reg at Hucknall soul dews..ah those memories :yes:

first got into "Soul" at the (Annie Holgate) School Club, John Black one of djs,

fave records from then were

"(Accept My) Invitation" - Band Of Angels

Jimmy London - Shake A Hand

Lesley Gore - Maybe I Know

held a few niters there at one time, with Soul Man Sam (Jeff), gotta be the smallest venue ever for a niter.

What about Hucknall Welfare on wednesdays, some cracking live acts there.....

steve

Social source share

Byrney

I've PMed you an email address.

Bumped into Alan Gibbons last night in the Connisseurs room at Ilkeston last night. On fine form unlike myself (I'm not very good at that there drinking lark :thumbsup: ). He's getting me Daves email who's now living in Ireland

I'll pm you his number later

Social source share

HOW MUCH IS IT FETCHING TONY

blush.gif Wwwwwwwwwwwweell lets see , peanuts m8 peanuts nobody wants it nowadays(he says stroking his chin) , you can't give it away , totally out of demand . If it is in your way I will look after it for you.

About £25-35 Ian . Don't be suprised at it getting some plays on the decks

Social source share

:yes: Wwwwwwwwwwwweell lets see , peanuts m8 peanuts nobody wants it nowadays(he says stroking his chin) , you can't give it away , totally out of demand . If it is in your way I will look after it for you.

About £25-35 Ian . Don't be suprised at it getting some plays on the decks

[/quote

i think both sides are pretty good,if you see owt of col or the other mac's let em know its alfreton on 22nd tony,or any of the old crew,i never see anything of them these days]

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, Robin here, fantastic nights at The Brit very late 70's. Anyone remember Dave Molloy singing George Kirby "What Can I Do" on stage! Still got a cracking tape of yours from early '80's.

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Can anyone remember shippo splitting his trousers one nite, think it was either notts palais, or derby ,cant rember which, so many good memories but that one seems to stand out

Anyone ever bump into Evo, think he was from long eaton

Social source share

Can anyone remember shippo splitting his trousers one nite, think it was either notts palais, or derby ,cant rember which, so many good memories but that one seems to stand out

Social source share

saw Evo about 3? years back at Bestwood, got chatting and said he'd put weight on, pot/kettle ;-)

said he'd been having women problems, didn't pursue it as he was off to Stoke niter, said i'd send him "Downtown Crowd" RA later.

did next day and said hope he gets his prolems with the women sorted.

'bout 2 weeks later, got phone call from constabulary somewhere up Newcastle way, asking about him, said they had his computer and saw my message about his women on it and wanted to know what i meant.

all innocent stuff i said, then asked what it was all about.

said he'd gone from Bestwood to Newcastle not stoke, and MURDERED his girlfriend. was in papers. only way they caught im was by 2 speeding tickets he got that night showing he was on A1 and not at Stoke.

didn't believe it of him but shows you can't always tell.

steve

Social source share

didn't hear any more about it so not sure where he's banged up or for how long. never saw it in the post either and i looked for a while.

spoke to Etna (Hucknall) last year at Skeg and it was a friend of a friend of hers who it happened to.

Shippo sorely missed as well, loved seeing him do backdrops, especially at Matlock.

steve

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest markmtfc

Anyone on here remember the Eight Bells, on a wednesday nite, think it ran from 1982 through to the middle eighties, lots of scoots, and lots of northern?

Social source share

First introduction to soul/ northern in Mansfield was at a school disco.Held every Tuesday or Wednesday, i think, at St. Johns School.

Does anyone else remember this?

Pop, Crisps and Northern Soul - what more could a young man want!

Well there was one thing now i come to think of it but not on these family read pages!

Gaz

PS.

Still looking for Steve Wilson! Might turn up at Field Mill now the new seasons starting!

Social source share

first time ive seen this thread - trotters eh, i remember them, thats about the time i started getting back into the northern scene after a long break.

Used to like that place too.

PS, i can remember a curly from notts palais - but the one i remember was a black guy not the one in Ian's flyer?

Only reason i remember him was he was always skint and borrowed a fiver off me at the palais in 1981 - never did get it back and with inflation i guess it's now about £20 :D

He was always dancing around your area Steve Phyllis on the left hand side of the floor. - wasnt his name curly? very tall guy.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

i can remember a curly from notts palais -

Only reason i remember him was he was always skint and borrowed a fiver off me at the palais in 1981 - never did get it back and with inflation i guess it's now about £20 :yes:

Sound like the Curly we know and love :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest markmtfc

Anyone out there remeber Sean Hayfield, also known as Alph, just got in touch after a long time, PM me if you need some contact details.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there remeber Sean Hayfield, also known as Alph, just got in touch after a long time, PM me if you need some contact details.

Finally sussed this out. 2 weeks it's took me to post a reply. Must be my age.

Mark, Good to meet up again after all these years.

Yep, I remember Trotters, Nottm Palais, Rock City, Oddfellows - Leicester, Loughboro Town Hall, Top of the World. Can't remember last wekk though.

Anyone know me get in touch. If you PM me it will probably take me 2 weeks to find it.

Shaun

Social source share

:thumbsup: hi mandy rictic hear

Hi Ian

Nice to see you and Pat? (hope this is your wifes name) at bentinck last friday

Too many beers again :thumbsup:

Good nite tho eh?

we will deffo be at the july 22nd nite at your gaff :lol:

bloody great venue

shame its not more often ...but i know what leisure centres are like

not wanting to upset thier sports regulars!!

Cheers mand :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!