What Does "northern" Soul Mean To You

I remember a few years back being around a hotel swimming pool in the States, and whilst drinking a beer, and reading a glossy American magazine, I came across an article about Norman Cook (fatboy slim). It mentioned that Mr. Cook listened to "Northern Soul" upon which the interviewer explained to the uninitiated, that this was " A POOR ENGLISH VERSION OF MOTOWN !!" I reared up from my lounger and shaking my head in disbelief I looked around for someone to share this heinous news with. Alas I was left alone with my thoughts, but it started me thinking, in hindsight I was glad this buffoon of a journalist had got it all so wrong. I quite liked that only those that knew... "Knew", and those that didn't..."Didn't". There has always been exclusivity to the Northern scene, a sense of belonging to a culture that those outside of its tightly ringed walls knew little, if not nothing at all. As a punter who has collected and listened to Soul (in its many forms and genres) over the past 24 years, I just wondered what this music means to you. In this age of "egos and rivalries" there is still for me the common denominator........That moment when you open your box and lift out one of your treasured 7" wonders, you slip it carefully from its (if your lucky) original company sleeve look at the wonderful art work of the label (well sometimes!) and then place it on your respective deck/turntable, a moment of apprehension as you gently lift the tone arm over, and drop the needle into the opening grooves, then "WHAM" the opening bars and the incredible sound just crash through the speakers, and you know you are in a form of unbridled ecstasy, reserved for those only in the know. :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

"WHAM" the opening bars and the incredible sound just crash through the speakers, and you know you are in a form of unbridled ecstasy, reserved for those only in the know. :)

link

Brett, i may have the wrong end of the stick here as i know some people (not me i hasten to add) really like George Michaels voice but exactly which WHAM record do you consider to be Northern Soul?

JoT

Sorry Brett i just couldn't resist wink.gif:P

Social source share

Brett, i may have the wrong end of the stick here as i know some people (not me i hasten to add) really like George Michaels voice but exactly which WHAM record do you consider to be Northern Soul?

JoT

Sorry Brett i just couldn't resist  :)   wink.gif

link

John it wouldn't be the same without your sense of humour :P

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

JoT

Sorry Brett i just couldn't resist  wink.gif   :P

link

Johnny it's of course "if you were there" , xxx-cellent Isley Bros. cover..

best

Le :)

Social source share

The feeling of being THAT close to wonderful sounds that never leave your memory.

As other things pass and fade into a distant memory, a few bars of an obselete choon can send those shivers up your spine and give you relaxation and excitement together in possibly only a glorious 2 minutes.

When all else has failed be it financial, relationship, employment, government, the list goes on. The elusive sound of soul travels with you and never disappears.

To me, just to have that thing to hold on to, close to your heart, is what makes the whole northern/rare soul scene a part of my topsy turvy life.

Through my "tear-stained face" and my "strange neighbourhood", "I'm so happy" and "it's all because of you" - ode to soul.

Haydn

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

Where do I begin...as a young girl listening to "music" with my two elder sisters trying too understand why on earth they were getting so excited over a record spinning on a record player....hmm... the naivity of youth...

that was until of course, the music that they had been listening to, took hold of me as a young girl, and still holds me tightly as a not so young (nor old) woman.. "WOW" must be soul music in particular too me Northern Soul.

How this music has after all these years still been able to hold onto and release in me a passion that is second to none (well okeh darling maybe second to you) is remarkable......

What does soul music mean to you?

Well, it is many things to many people ...... a piece of valuable vinyl that is an investment for the retirement fund (alas not that fer away now)

Or (as it is for me) a sound that sends tingles running down your spine....then it touches your heart, and suddenly your feet are moving....WOW

I have been a "punter" on the scene for many years, like many people there has been times when for whatever reason, I have taken a differant path away from the "scene". I never felt that it had gone or that I would not be apart of it again, it was always there in the background waiting for me to return.

So why as I write this, remembering the passion that this "music" has given to me over many years, find myself sad, angry and ashamed to be apart of it.

Could I have got it so very wrong for all these years?

Am I that naive (something that I have been told on numerous occassions) that I believe WE all go to venues for the same thing, to listen, to dance or to purchase "that" sound.

So what is it that is causing so much anger, shame and sadness?

Segregation from society as a minority group? hmm NO... not that!

The beginning of extinction? hmm NO not that!

so what or more to the point "WHO" is the cause of this pain?

well for me as an everyday punter, its those people who believe that they own this scene!!!!

Who do they think they are?

do they not realise how utterly riddiculas they sound.. this is not a toy that you pass around in the playground, to win a game of catch. only including your "selective" group of friends, who may want to play your game because they are too scared to venture outside "your" playground!!!

It can be quite a scary place to be to "Stand up for what you believe in" but as with anything in life thats what you have to do, or as with many situations what then happens is the "Heart and Soul"will no longer feel passion and it will wither away....

I dont want this to happen to something that I feel so passionate about.

I want to stand back in twenty yeasrs time and see the passion on the face of the next generation of "punters" as they walk into a venue "LARGE, SMALL, GREAT or NOT SO GREAT" that says with the naivity and passion that I felt so many years ago that of "WOW" give me more mr dj and keep it coming.

So please to all those people who think that they own, control this Wonderful World of Northern Soul.... take a step back and remember what it was that got you so passionate about Soul in the first place.. and be generous enough to let other people share this because if you dont where will it be in five years time?

To all promotors and djs "we" your everyday punter are the people who support the scene and will go on supporting the scene for as long as we can. So do us all a favour either be adult to resolve your differences in a way that will only benefit the scene or LEAVE it alone...

Now I have no problems with anyone being a "buisness person" and making money from the scene, as long as it is conducted in a professional manner. above board and not taking advantage of people or putting other people down because they want to have ago.

so if a promoter makes money... good for them (they have taken the risk and put the leg work in)

when the dj gets paid for doing a job good why should they work for nothing.

when the record dealer makes money out of selling a record..good they took the risk.

As a "punter" who unfortuntly fell in love with a promoter (he kept that hidden)

I know to my cost (physical, emotional and finacial) the risks that we now take each time we open the doors to a venue, and the work that goes on before those doors open. I have no feelings of guilt or shame if after we have both worked an 18hr shift, to make sure those doors are open..we can pay the bills or put money in the bank.

would you work for nothing?

ps.. so thers is no confusion or innuendos coming back....... im the small dark haired cheeky one (joking apart) I am the partner of Chris Waterman NCS...

though we live and work together we do not function as "one" all the time...

and certaintly not when we are cooking!!!!

Marcelle xx

punter first and foremost

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!