Mickjay33

• Replies 32
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It looks pukka to me. I suppose someone "could" have knocked it up onto an EMI blank - but why??????????????????? Firstly it has NEVER been a big record, it's a £20 tune on original (at most) and why put the flip side on.

Des Parker

Might just be a publishers acetate, trying to sell the song to a UK artist

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It's an acetate. An aliminium record coated with lacquer. Emidisc is just the brand name.

people used to get these done back in the day by the bucket load......it,s not an acetate in the same sense as most would think......another one was beck amplification.....the label was similar to that of the black and white wand...........they are merely early 70's bootlegs ...............why else would you wanna do one ...of a record that is available on CALLA

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It looks pukka to me. I suppose someone "could" have knocked it up onto an EMI blank - but why??????????????????? Firstly it has NEVER been a big record, it's a £20 tune on original (at most) and why put the flip side on.

Des Parker

Des....back in the day when the avaiability,rarity ect of records was not known as well as today.....someone would have the record and their mate might want it.....so he,d get an "EMI DISC " or a "beck " (place in kettering by the way) done for £2 or £3 quid.....l tell ya these were not done by companies ..........they,re just early boots

Social source share

Des....back in the day when the avaiability,rarity ect of records was not known as well as today.....someone would have the record and their mate might want it.....so he,d get an "EMI DISC " or a "beck " (place in kettering by the way) done for £2 or £3 quid.....l tell ya these were not done by companies ..........they,re just early boots

Some are, some aren't.

There are an awful lot of Emidisc acetates that are nothing to do with northern soul, after all.

Social source share

people used to get these done back in the day by the bucket load......it,s not an acetate in the same sense as most would think......another one was beck amplification.....the label was similar to that of the black and white wand...........they are merely early 70's bootlegs ...............why else would you wanna do one ...of a record that is available on CALLA

No sorry you are way out, yes a lot of Emidisc blanks were used for cutting Northern tracks but there's ten times as many proper acetates cut using Emidiscs, half of the Beatles for a start, this one is not a bootleg it's a legitimate acetate....I've had loads of them, non-Northern Emidisc acetates.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Some are, some aren't.

There are an awful lot of Emidisc acetates that are nothing to do with northern soul, after all.

Maybe just maybe......people did it with other forms of music :g::thumbsup::D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No sorry you are way out, yes a lot of Emidisc blanks were used for cutting Northern tracks but there's ten times as many proper acetates cut using Emidiscs, half of the Beatles for a start, this one is not a bootleg it's a legitimate acetate....I've had loads of them, non-Northern Emidisc acetates.

Pete read my post more carefully...........of course the company called EMIDISC was not set up to cut northern soul boots....yes they had a legit bussiness..........in the case of american northern tracks......some one "got em done" and thats what makes em boots regardless of the fact they are alluminium with a choclate coating.....got it now!! :yes::lol:

p.s....l might also add that in your very entertaining story about your serch for LAUREL ATKIEN....you couldn,t buy it at one stage becaaaause the latest batch of pressings had just come in and you needed that latest........yep.....EMIDISC .....so by your own words you associated northern pressings with EMIDISCS....l rest my case lol :lol: :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Pete read my post more carefully...........of course the company called EMIDISC was not set up to cut northern soul boots....yes they had a legit bussiness..........in the case of american northern tracks......some one "got em done" and thats what makes em boots regardless of the fact they are alluminium with a choclate coating.....got it now!! :yes::lol:

p.s....l might also add that in your very entertaining story about your serch for LAUREL ATKIEN....you couldn,t buy it at one stage becaaaause the latest batch of pressings had just come in and you needed that latest........yep.....EMIDISC .....so by your own words you associated northern pressings with EMIDISCS....l rest my case lol :lol: :lol:

No I still don't get what we are arguing about. I said most Emidiscs were legitimate acetates cut for artists, producers, dj's etc, and some blanks were used for Northern Soul bootlegs. Then you said the same thing. But in your first post you said that they were just bootlegs...

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No I still don't get what we are arguing about. I said most Emidiscs were legitimate acetates cut for artists, producers, dj's etc, and some blanks were used for Northern Soul bootlegs. Then you said the same thing. But in your first post you said that they were just bootlegs...

It,s about context............in northern soul terms they're bootlegs

Social source share

"Emidisc" was EMI's brand name for their blank acetates. They were made at the EMI plant in Hayes, Middlesex.

Emidiscs were used by anyone in the recording industry and the name does not mean that the recording was produced by EMI itself.

However, for every NS Emidisc there are 100's of legit Emidisc acetates made (as Pete said) for labels, producers, publishers, acts.

They originally date back to around 1962, a bit before NS bootlegging commenced I believe ..........

........... https://www.45cat.com/label/emidisc

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

"Emidisc" was EMI's brand name for their blank acetates. They were made at the EMI plant in Hayes, Middlesex.

Emidiscs were used by anyone in the recording industry and the name does not mean that the recording was produced by EMI itself.

However, for every NS Emidisc there are 100's of legit Emidisc acetates made (as Pete said) for labels, producers, publishers, acts.

They originally date back to around 1962, a bit before NS bootlegging commenced I believe ..........

........... https://www.45cat.com/label/emidisc

thank goodness for that...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!