William Powell

jkidd

About £2100 I forgot to bid on it always wanted a copy.

I think I know who got it but I'll keep it to myself, and I reckon he'll be happy with that price.

Cheers Darren

dosnt everyone want one daz?, whoever won that got a bargain at that price when you consider what it has sold for in recent years. i know a lot of folk hate it, but to me it appeals because of its sparce production and the simple lyrics and equally simple, plaintive vocals

Social source share

dosnt everyone want one daz?, whoever won that got a bargain at that price when you consider what it has sold for in recent years. i know a lot of folk hate it, but to me it appeals because of its sparce production and the simple lyrics and equally simple, plaintive vocals

Couldn't agree more although plenty will be gathering rocks to chuck at us, better get our hard hats

Great tune imo

Best Darren

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Interesting comments from a  Soul Source "guest" in the last post on the thread on "Heartache Souvenirs" producer Miles Grayson .

• default_large.png
  • Guests

mark.w, on Sep 30 2007, 10:22 PM, said:snapback.png

Ask him where all the copies of William Powell "Heartache Souveniers" are, then PM me so I can have one thumbsup.gif

Would be interested to hear the story behind that classic record.

I'm pretty sure Wiliam Powell owned a record store in LA when he did the Power-House tracks. Sometime around this coming out he was shot. May be something like the story of "Try Me(For Your New Love)" and Junior Mccants family having the record pulled after his death. 
Social source share

I doubt they are the same person....

As you know the O'Jays started off in Ohio and had a solid career ... I've struggled for years to find info on William Powell but it seems he was a peer of the Pipkin Brothers & Brice Coefield working as a songwriter in L.A.

He composed the Cinderellas 45 on Tamara in 1964 and I'm pretty sure, but haven't had time to check, that he had a couple more tunes published by Jobete ... the Pipkins & Brice were also connected to Motown via the West Coast office through Hal Davis & Marc Gordon.

Additionally he had songs placed with Gary Paxton so he might be able to shed some light given the Ace connection

https://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&querytype=WriterID&keyid=274196&keyname=POWELL+WILLIAM&CAE=39933649&Affiliation=NA

If you look at BMI, as you connect from co-composers, I get the impression that they have merged the L.A. William with the O'Jays William ... but I'm happy to be proved wrong as stranger things have happened

Andy

Social source share

As you know the O'Jays started off in Ohio and had a solid career ... I've struggled for years to find info on William Powell but it seems he was a peer of the Pipkin Brothers & Brice Coefield working as a songwriter in L.A.

He composed the Cinderellas 45 on Tamara in 1964 and I'm pretty sure, but haven't had time to check, that he had a couple more tunes published by Jobete ... the Pipkins & Brice were also connected to Motown via the West Coast office through Hal Davis & Marc Gordon.

Additionally he had songs placed with Gary Paxton so he might be able to shed some light given the Ace connection

https://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&querytype=WriterID&keyid=274196&keyname=POWELL+WILLIAM&CAE=39933649&Affiliation=NA

If you look at BMI, as you connect from co-composers, I get the impression that they have merged the L.A. William with the O'Jays William ... but I'm happy to be proved wrong as stranger things have happened

Andy

Thanks Andy, the Paxton line is the correct one. I didn't know about the Cinderellas so that was useful too. Cheers Ady
Social source share

Andy

It wouldn't be the first time BMI have merged two writers with the same name together

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• 1 month later...

A proper lads record.

This exemplifies what rare northern soul is all about.

Hands up those that have danced to this with no shirt on.

Derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLKG080yS0g

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!