Mixed Feelings

Jaco

seems to be a 45 cropping up of late.......i`m sure thell be a few snipes on it tho

Sure there will be some snipes, just surprised no bids as yet.

This achieved in excess of $5.6k in 2007 but each successive sale listed on Popsike has gone for less each time though a G- went to nearly $2k fairly recently.

Somebody took a punt and offered this seller $1000. Not surprised to see that offer declined!

Social source share

Worth every dollar I think. One of those sure fire absolute quality "lose yourself in the moment" records in my opinion, both sides so different and so good.

Never ceases to amaze me how a group like that could only have one record like this released (unless anyone knows any different?).

Noticed JM's latest guide has marked the price down from 5th edition but still have not seen too many cropping up of late.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not surprised to see no bids at such high starting price + time of year etc.

Just out of interest, anyone know where it was played first in UK and by whom..I'm guessing Soul Sam?, which is I think how I first heard it.

Course...anyone on the planet with a computer can hear the A side now, which in some ways is good but also really not good in other ways (different thread been done to death I know!).

Edited by 71 Steve
Social source share

Not surprised to see no bids at such high starting price + time of year etc.

Just out of interest, anyone know where it was played first in UK and by whom..I'm guessing Soul Sam?, which is I think how I first heard it.

Course...anyone on the planet with a computer can hear the A side now, which in some ways is good but also really not good in other ways (different thread been done to death I know!).

Keb played it down the phone to me bout 10yrs ago so guessin he was one of the first to play, would never say a def first cause someone might jump at me :wicked:
Social source share

Keb played it down the phone to me bout 10yrs ago so guessin he was one of the first to play, would never say a def first cause someone might jump at me :wicked:

Paul Phillips told me about this , he said he had it from John A at a record fair for £30 odd . It was around ten years ago too .

Thanks Arthur / Simon...Blimey, not a bad buy at £30 ten years ago then! Do you know if Mixed Feelings did anything else, other than the B side of course. Have heard lots of amazing 70's soul and pretty sure I've only scratched the surface, but this would have to be up there as one of the best to my ears & feet. Criminal if the band didn't record anything else back then, whether under name of Mixed Feelings or otherwise.

Also guessing there would be more of the light blue label issues of this 45 than demos, or by the look of things, maybe t'other way round?

Social source share

Thanks Arthur / Simon...Blimey, not a bad buy at £30 ten years ago then! Do you know if Mixed Feelings did anything else, other than the B side of course. Have heard lots of amazing 70's soul and pretty sure I've only scratched the surface, but this would have to be up there as one of the best to my ears & feet. Criminal if the band didn't record anything else back then, whether under name of Mixed Feelings or otherwise.

Also guessing there would be more of the light blue label issues of this 45 than demos, or by the look of things, maybe t'other way round?

Would say more demo than issue going on copies I've seen ,but who knows what people have tucked in collections eh ;)

Here's a great link that might help with info on the band

https://soulcalrecords.com/mixed-feelings-sha-la-la/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

usually white demo`s of this certainly in recent years ( ebay etc )

Social source share

Very nice sound! I missed a lot by not testing '70s records! I don't remember hearing this on Nederland Drie's "The Soul Show". Still, I don't think I'd pay $5-6.000 for it. I'll settle for an MP3. I bet there are a LOT more '70s cuts I'd like. I've probably only heard maybe one or two thousand '70s songs, while probably hearing several hundred thousand '60s songs.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Do you guys think this looks right...?, appears to be the same scan too...how can you guarantee something like this is legit or do you just chance it ?. Big chance...

Best Russ

They look at bit new.

They aren't the same scan, look at the 5 on the record number, slightly different.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I mean how can you tell if they are real...its a leap of faith I imagine....

best Russ

Best pay couple hundred quid more and get one of the demos which pop up from time to time.

Sorry to have reactivated this thread but caught my eye as one of my favourite sounds and never tire of hearing it. Like so many records I sometimes find myself trying to imagine the band recording it, trying to imagine the look on the lead singer's face as he belts out the vocals. So sad that these guys and so many others like them didn't then go on to record and release more.

Just over a year ago I was lucky enough to be involved in a local event where Soul Sam was guest DJ and unusually for me I made a request...this record. Before playing it he said real loud and clear on the mike something like "if you don't dance to this you don't have soul"! Lol. Floor was very busy and I was smack in the middle. Brilliant.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dont know if this of interest to anyone :-

"South Carolina band Mixed Feelings' leader and keyboard player Glenn Walling never expected that 'Sha-La-La' would become an international sensation three decades after its original release. Drafting it on the fly in under 20 minutes in 1976, he intended it for the flip side of the group's self-proclaimed masterpiece, a country-inflected soul ballad entitled 'Love Will Find A Way', but the Nashville-based distributor inadvertently switched up the sides on the promotional copies and 'Sha-La-La' found its way to the top. Mixed Feelings grew out of the all-white Royals, an R&B/beach combo. The Royals met (black) vocalist Arthur Donaldson in 1969, and even though no other groups in the area were then racially integrated, they installed him as lead vocalist, making him a permanent member the next year as they changed their name to Mixed Feelings. The new handle reflected the group's unheard-of integration as well as a "mixed" repertoire expanded to include doo-wop and Top 40 hits. Soul-Cal, in coordination with Keb Darge and Kenny Dope at Kay-Dee, is now bringing the music of Mixed Feelings to the masses as a single sided 12", good enough to release without a B-side. With original copies of the record changing hands for $4,000 or more, it's a steal."

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who's interested in how this one was discovered, here is how it happended.

During my first visits to Japan with Keb, we would do a tour of the record shops, especially in Tokyo, where there was at that time, an abundance of soul 45s. One shop in particular was a great source; it was run by a chap named Toshiyuki Katayama who always had something of interest for us avid buyers. During one trip over there I met Katayama san in a club and with him he had a small bunch of records for sale that he had just found on a buying trip to the States. One of the records was the Mixed Feelings, which was unknown to me at that time and he told me that it was really good and that he wanted £350 for it. From his description it sounded great, but I had no way of playing it, so unfortunately i left it behind as it was at the end of my trip. Three months later Keb was back in Tokyo and at Katayama's shop got to listen to the Mixed Feelings. He bought it without hesitation and returned back to london with the 45. By the time Keb got back to his flat in London he had decided that 'sha la la' was too Northern for his clientel and so, lucky for me, he gave me a blast of the record down the phone. I was knocked out by how good it was and immediately bought it (well, traded it for 3 times its original price) I think it's been one of the best modern discoveries in the last 10 years......love it !! Arigato Katayama !!

Thanks for the fascinating and honest info Mark ..and for giving much credit to just how upfront the Japanese soul scene is !

Would still love to see a lyric sheet to know what he is singing about in the chorus :)

Social source share

love hearing storys like this.

some records with weird & funny titles do end up being great records.

but as mark says it would be a risk buying blind @ that price.

could of easily been a cover of the small faces,lol.

id heard it a while back.but when mark played it at our anniversary in aberdeen.gasher(happy birthday mate &thanks for the visit from you & lynda today,to see me.on your shooting/fishing lodge weekend) on here went steaming past everyone on dance floor,saying what the f*%k is this.lol.

he had a copy soon after.

Edited by sepia
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!