First Lp Bought

Guest Netspeaky

Guest Netspeaky

We've had the first record bought a while back which threw up some interesting items, so how about first LP bought, not CD we'll do that one later. LP as in long playing vinyl spun at 33 and third rpm for you younger ones out there.

1st LP was Beach Boys - Pet Sounds :lol:

1st Soul LP was The Drifters - Golden Hits of whistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

We've had the first record bought a while back which threw up some interesting items, so how about first LP bought, not CD we'll do that one later. LP as in long playing vinyl spun at 33 and third rpm for you younger ones out there.

The Temptations Greatest Hits.

1. The Way You Do The Things You Do

2. My girl

3. Ain't Too Proud To Beg

4. Don't Look Back

5. Get Ready

6. Beauty Is Only Skin Deep

7. Since I Lost My Baby

8. The Girl's Alright With Me

9. My Baby

10. It's Growing

11. I'll Be In Trouble

12. Girl. Why You Wanna Make Me Blue

What a compilation, and probably never bettered 36 years on!

Also bought Prince Buster "Wreck a Pum Pum" at the same time... and of course we all had Motown Chartbusters Volume 3

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

The Temptations Greatest Hits.

1. The Way You Do The Things You Do

2. My girl

3. Ain't Too Proud To Beg

4. Don't Look Back

5. Get Ready

6. Beauty Is Only Skin Deep

7. Since I Lost My Baby

8. The Girl's Alright With Me

9. My Baby

10. It's Growing

11. I'll Be In Trouble

12. Girl. Why You Wanna Make Me Blue

What a compilation, and probably never bettered 36 years on!

Also bought Prince Buster "Wreck a Pum Pum" at the same time... and of course we all had Motown Chartbusters Volume 3

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

1st LP Slade Alive whistling.gif

1st soul LP - no idea, probably some mid 70s Philly album

That was also my first LP!

The first LP I bought with my own money was Reggae Chartbusters, the original 1969 one on trojan.

I can still remember the thrill of finding that on the rack in beatties store, 99p it was.

Social source share

Guest janey

1st LP Slade Alive :yes:

1st soul LP - no idea, probably some mid 70s Philly album

My 1st LP was T-Rex - The Slider whistling.gif

1st soul LP was Celi Bee & The Buzzy Bunch......still have it.....mint!!! :lol:

Janey

Social source share

Something of a strange link developing here ? my first album was a Slade album "Sladest". Perhaps there was a subliminal soul message in Noddy's lyrics ?

Another strange thing also, the first Soul Album i bought (apart from the odd compilation, only ever bought singles up to then ) was an album called "Time Moves On - Strutt" I bought it cause i heard the title track on the Dave Lee Travis soul show on Radio 1 around 1975/76 i think ?

& bugger me, i saw the very same album come up on a thread somewhere, it seems there is a track on there that is now a Northern favourite on the album.

I can't say that i can remember a Northern type track on there ? but as we know from the banter on here, peoples definition of Northern differs dramatically !

I'm gonna' have to fish it out & play it, that's if i haven't sent it to the local charity shop !

Social source share

My 1st LP was T-Rex - The Slider thumbsup.gif

1st soul LP was Celi Bee & The Buzzy Bunch......still have it.....mint!!! :lol:

Janey

I used to love T.Rex as well. I did a compilation CD the other day of all the singles from Ride A White Swan to New York City and the loss in quality as they progress is unbelievable, the writing was on the wall when Truck On Tyke came out, awful single, what does anyone else think? In fact I bought the revamped Born To Boogie film last year, made me wish I had Slade In Flame...then I realised I had got Slade In Flame, so I watched that instead.

Social source share

I think this was called either 'This is Soul' or 'What is Soul.' Anyway, it was an Atlantic sampler and included Ben E King doing 'What is Soul?' I'm sure someone will remember.

I had that, Billy, and Im pretty sure it was called "What is Soul". At same time I got "This is Sue". I think both were cut-price compilations around '68/'69.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Something of a strange link developing here ? my first album was a Slade album "Sladest". Perhaps there was a subliminal soul message in Noddy's lyrics ?

Another strange thing also, the first Soul Album i bought (apart from the odd compilation, only ever bought singles up to then ) was an album called "Time Moves On - Strutt" I bought it cause i heard the title track on the Dave Lee Travis soul show on Radio 1 around 1975/76 i think ?

& bugger me, i saw the very same album come up on a thread somewhere, it seems there is a track on there that is now a Northern favourite on the album.

I can't say that i can remember a Northern type track on there ? but as we know from the banter on here, peoples definition of Northern differs dramatically !

I'm gonna' have to fish it out & play it, that's if i haven't sent it to the local charity shop !

'Said You Didn't Love Him' is the track that gets the plays at the crossover type venues, a bit of a midtempo shuffler, not exactly northern but very nice.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Nice to see people being open and honest with their first LP, the majority of us so far all seem to have bought a non-soul LP before moving on to our real love. ph34r.gif

Social source share

I had that, Billy, and Im pretty sure it was called "What is Soul". At same time I got "This is Sue". I think both were cut-price compilations around '68/'69.

ROD

Still got both of these, my This is Sue still got the 14/6 price sticker on. Happy days at the Church Hall youth club !!!

Alan.

ps. Must admit to first EP being Thunderbirds - nice picture cover!!!

Edited by eamesy
Social source share

Great film brett ph34r.gif

Sure is Andy, got banned until Stanley Kubrick died, always remember (as you will) lads going to football 1972/73 in boiler suits and gold sprayed doc martens.......happy days...

Social source share

1st Soul LP was The Drifters - Golden Hits of ph34r.gif

1st LP - Beach Boys - live in london

1st soul LP = cant remember - may have been Eddie Floyd -

Social source share

My sister gave me the, This is Soul LP, when I bought a knackered dansette and fixed it up. She had moved on to prog rock, and the bloody hippy movement. She never recovered I'm ashamed to say. :lol: She still has no taste in music. ph34r.gif

Anyway I was hooked, the first LP I actually bought was the Temptations greatest hits 2. I can still remember every word, and I did, literally wear it out. [they were a bit weighty in the tone arm them dansette's]

Phil.

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

Sure is Andy, got banned until Stanley Kubrick died, always remember (as you will) lads going to football 1972/73 in boiler suits and gold sprayed doc martens.......happy days...

It diodn't get banned mate, it was withdrawn by Kubrick who allowed it be screened in every other country except the Uk in anger at what he thought was terrible treatment from the UK press. A film and a half, but way more potent when you could only watch it on a 3rd generation pirate copy ph34r.gif

Social source share

My first LP was greatest hits of Elvis Presley. I was 9, lent it to my Junior School Teacher who left it in the back window of his car and it warped. Don't worry, I'll replace it for you... did he heck!

Social source share

Visage! LOL. I must say, although I bought my first LP by Elvis my first owned and adored LP was by Connie Francis and Monica Lewis! I still have them both and love the Monica Lewis Nice Work If You Can Get It track ph34r.gif

0000121912_170.jpg

It's exactly the same cover as the album too!

Edited by Stapler
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

First album bought? Siouxsie & The Banshees 'The Scream'. Still drag it out a few times a year when I want to get very scared.....

First soul album? 'Out On the Floor Tonight' on Inferno, unless a compilation on Mercury 'Allnighters' counts, which featured UK 60s mod releases on one side and US R&B/Soul on the other, which i sold for sod all and have been trying to replace ever since!

If anyone has a copy, etc....

PM please!

Edited by ScooterNik
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

First ever album - "Elvis Is Back" (with the rare gatefold cover!) - still sounds fantastic, and I could still sing the whole album word for word if pressed to do so (not that anyone does...)

Fist soul album - Sammy Turner "Lavender Blue Moods" on London. Bought in a junkshop in Green Street in Upton Park for five shillings - a week's pocket money! - in 1964, just because I liked the look of it!

Of course, I didn't differentiate between what constituted soul and what didn't back in the day, so I suppose the first 'real' soul album I bought in the knowledge that it WAS one would have been "A Collection Of 16 Big Tamla Motown Hits Vol. 1" (TML 11001) - still the benchmark album for all subsequent compilationas as far as I'm concerned...

TONY whistling.gif

Social source share

First Soul Album was a compalation double album On DJM, Called, Monster Soul, Cant remember what tracks was on it, lost the album years ago, Never seen another one,

Social source share

Mine was a 2nd hand copy of Diana Ross and the Supremes Greatest Hits in 1969ish. Still got it. 2nd was Motown Chartbusters Vol 3. Still got that as well. Some of the earlyish UK motown compilations, particularly the 16 Big Hits ones were tremendous.

The best must be the Mike Raven one with the cars on the front, and did Rosko do one just after?

Social source share

Mine was a 2nd hand copy of Diana Ross and the Supremes Greatest Hits in 1969ish. Still got it. 2nd was Motown Chartbusters Vol 3. Still got that as well. Some of the earlyish UK motown compilations, particularly the 16 Big Hits ones were tremendous.

The best must be the Mike Raven one with the cars on the front, and did Rosko do one just after?

There's 3 volumes of that, one has Barbara McNair on, and the third is very very rare...the one with the cars on is pretty easy to find. Motown Memories I think they are called.

Social source share

I cant beleve im going to tell you this :lol:

1st LP ever bought was Top Gun sound track :)

Think the first soul related one was George Benson, with 'Nature boy' and 'the world is a ghetto' on it for got the name of the LP........................Just came to me 'In flight' ph34r.gif

Social source share

1st LP was probably the soundtrack to 'The Jungle Book' on the Disney label wave.gif

1st Soul LP, I can't remember ! I know I had Motown Chartbusters 3, and I can remember my one and only win on the Premium Bonds funded the purchase of 'Abe, James & Ivory' by the Detroit Emeralds (Both of which I still have).

Social source share

I cant beleve im going to tell you this :lol:

1st LP ever bought was Top Gun sound track :)

Think the first soul related one was George Benson, with 'Nature boy' and 'the world is a ghetto' on it for got the name of the LP........................Just came to me 'In flight' ph34r.gif

always remember Dave Thorly playing "world is a ghetto" at a ritz HESC dayer 76/77? and being so knocked over by it bought it next day, still in one piece

first ever lp think was a ktel - believe in music comp, right old mixbag had likes of dandy livingstone, ojays and free on it ( if bored when out, ask me how free -allright now played a part in one of them life defining moments you only usually see in films), first soul one bought proper new was I think a four tops story double

Social source share

1st LP was probably the soundtrack to 'The Jungle Book' on the Disney label wave.gif

1st Soul LP, I can't remember ! I know I had Motown Chartbusters 3, and I can remember my one and only win on the Premium Bonds funded the purchase of 'Abe, James & Ivory' by the Detroit Emeralds (Both of which I still have).

could be another thread as traps 1 and 6 coming up in a 5 p r/fc double thru the card let me buy my first ever proper stereo record player after years of second hand dansette types

Social source share

There's 3 volumes of that, one has Barbara McNair on, and the third is very very rare...the one with the cars on is pretty easy to find. Motown Memories I think they are called.

Motown Memories was the first LP I ever bought. It had vintage cars on the front of a yellow background. I bought as a xmas present for my sister in I think 1970. There were about 4 or 5 of them in a depleted record rack in Rackams Dept. store Birmingham. They had been reduced to 5 shillings (25p) as I dont think they sold particularly well. The notes on the back of the cover were written by Dave Godin & it may be he chose the track listing for Motown. There are some great tracks on there my fave being Chris Clark "I want to go back there again" Regards Ada

Social source share

First LP was a really strange bootleg in a plain sleeve called 'Cruising with Mr Hollywood' in about 1981, obviously geared towards the Northern scene with tracks like Dynatones, Steinways, Jackie Wilson, Brenda Holloway, Leroy Taylor, etc. But also featuring 'commercial jingles and the sound of Mr Hollywood' - basically an English bloke doing an really corny intro about being Mr Hollywood and playing American radio adverts in between the tracks. I think the gist is that this was suppose to be a radio show.

Really, really odd Lp and still have it! I've never seen it since, anybody else have a copy? Anybody know who the prat, Mr Hollywood ("here to put more dip in your hip, more stride in your glide, more cut in your strut"!!) is?

Kind regards

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

First LP was Hot Hits 9 or 10.

It had a picture of a dirty bird on the cover pretending to play rugby and a crazy Theme From Shaft on it.

At the time, I quite fancied her!

First Soul LP would be Sly and the Family Stones Greatest Hits.

Social source share

1st LP was Beach Boys - Pet Sounds :yes:

1st Soul LP was The Drifters - Golden Hits of :thumbsup:

First LP I ever paid full price for (and the last) was Marvin Gaye "What's going on" when it came out. Still absolutely perfect, hasn't aged, unlike me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!