Puzzled? Which One's Original?

Supercorsa

I don't have too many records on original labels, but I bought a copy of Billy Butler's - Right Track on Okeh, believing that it was an original (off Ebay some time last year!). Only I'm a bit confused! huh.gif

Anyway I've seen some more with a slightly different label, with regards to serial numbers. Which is the original out of the following two records (or are they both original issues?):

Record 1: Not My Copy!

Record 2: My Copy!

One of you must know! :)

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was always told to look for A large 45 and a ZSP No stamped in it if its got that its an origanal, Saying that ive a copy of Major Lance ,You dont want me, that I got for a fiver from coalville tiffs which has both the same as yours Whoopie i thorght only to be told that the origanal is the deep purple with gold writing If any one can clear this up for me as well please :)

Social source share

I was always told to look for A large 45 and a ZSP No stamped in it if its got that its an origanal, Saying that ive a copy of Major Lance ,You dont want me,  that I got for a fiver from coalville tiffs which has both the same as yours Whoopie i thorght only to be told that the origanal is the deep purple with gold writing If any one can clear this up for me as well please :)

link

this is from Manships Bootleg Guide.

Originals have a large 45 on the left hand side of the label,Okeh logo is white. ZSP matrix is stamped in. There are some very dubious releases, almost certainly counterfeits with authentic looking labels, made in vinyl with a moulded over label. The ZSP matrix is crudely stamped in. The release with the Small 45 (Left hand side)

is the Columbia reissue. Copies with the lettering in black letters are, with an authentic ZSP 113544 are the later reissues Columbia (USA) released in the late seventies.

Social source share

I don't have too many records on original labels, but I bought a copy of Billy Butler's - Right Track on Okeh, believing that it was an original (off Ebay some time last year!).  Only I'm a bit confused!  huh.gif

Anyway I've seen some more with a slightly different label, with regards to serial numbers.  Which is the original out of the following two records (or are they both original issues?):

Record 1:  Not My Copy!

Record 2: My Copy!

One of you must know!  :)

link

What's on nthe flip of yours and whats the stamp in run out groove like, clear stamp or crude one like JM guide says.

Social source share

Both look like originals to me, unless the one below is a vinyl pressing, can't see the edges of the label properly so not totally certain. Like Manship says, the original is on styrene with large 45. Pink label, white logo, black print. I have had the vinyl bootleg (100% certain it is a bootleg, it is stamped, but number is different and sound quality poor) and it has a proper looking label albeit slightly darker in colour. "Small 45" issues are Columbia reissues, again like Manship says. There are also crude boots with instrumental versions of both sides on them. Might be yet more boots around, but originals easy to tell apart IMO.

Social source share

On mine in runout groove on the A Side, is clearly stamped ZSP113544-1A.

On the B Side (Boston Monkey), it's clearly stamped ZSP113543-1A.

I'm assuming I wasn't misled and it is an original (definately is styrene), thanks for your answers anyway. It was just that I wasn't sure, because of the print concerning the Publisher, Jalynne Music (being on mine and not the other).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!