Gil Bernal-The Dogs Bumps B1501

Guest Kevin Lambert

Guest Kevin Lambert

Hi everyone,

Ive read about the Gil Bernal record on this forum and the interest it creates!!

Well i have found a copy amongst my Father-in laws collection,it seems that he was given it by BUMPS Blackwell himself!!

He really would like it to go a enthusiast such as the members on here so if anyone is interested it has been placed on EBAY this week.

Many Thanks

Kevin Lambert. :hatsoff2:post-29144-0-15047500-1354716658_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

An absolutely blinding track but will sell for a "way outa my league" kinda price too!

I'm sure it will go to a collector with a good home and could even sell to a member on here.

A very merry christmas for one lucky b**tard :D :D :D

Teresa....She of awesome taste!

Social source share

Gil Bernal certainly had a long music biz career.

He was signed to a new record deal (with Ameret Records of LA) in 1970 and probably worked in the biz for even more years after that. BUT he got his start many years earlier ...

..... here's a review of a gig he did at NY's Capitol Theatre in January 1951 in conjunction with Lionel Hampton & George Kirby ......

... CORRECTION .......

Seems that this guy could have been a different Gil Bernal (2 guys in the music biz with that name would be mighty mighty strange though) ....

THIS Gil B died in July 2011 and was a versatile sax player (aged 80 when he passed) who had played on the 50's hit "Smokey Joe's Cafe" and had worked with Spike Jones, Ray Charles, Quincy Jones & the Coasters in addition to Lionel Hampton.

However, I've also seen him described (in 1954) as tenor sax and vocal star, so maybe it was one & the same person.

post-22122-0-79574000-1354806472_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Here's another of his 45 outings .....

Its his RCA release from July 1967 -- "This Is Worth Fighting For" ......

.... it must date from around the time his Bumps 45 was issued.

His treatment of the song shows his old style type vocal delivery .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwHX7PfCOc

His later RCA cut "Can You Love a Poor Boy" is a better track.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest Kevin Lambert

Thanks for the replies,if i may can i pick youre brains again.

The record itself is currently at £360 which is a large amount for a record,but deep down i have an inkling that its worth a hell of a lot more.

The auction ends tomorrow and naively i set the reserve at £335 which my father in law who is blissfully unaware of its value would jump hoops about.

I just feel if it goes too low it will reappear next week on Ebay for £1000 or something.There is 30 odd people watching it but im sure they mostly will be people just interested in what it fetches.

Do you think i should pull it out and pack it away for next year after all it is near xmas,or is it normal with rare records that people will wait till last minute to luanch their bids?

I would be fascinated if anyone could give me some advice and maybe some sort of value in their opinion of the record.

Cheers all

Kevin

Social source share

I would wait till the end and if you feel you not getting enough money, spin them some bull that the record was damaged in packing then re list it with a higher reserve.

I can't believe this is being discussed on open forum !

A forum that obviously will have members who will most definitely be bidding on this record ,seen as its been discussed by the seller .

Nobody's naive enough to think the tactic you mentioned ,doesn't go on ,but you might have been wiser to pm him with your advice .

For what it's worth ,the watchers will also include snipers ,who will push the bid up to its potential .

There's a mention elsewhere about shill bidding and also someone in wants who is potentially bidding up another eBay item ,so for me the seller has posted on here to maximise his audience IMHO ?

Beats me why he bothered putting it on eBay in the first place ?

Set sale on here or up for offers would have eliminated the concerns about reaching its potential .

My advice would be either let it run and do what most people do ..promote it in eBay sales ,or end it and put it up in sales for offers !

Good luck with it :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't believe this is being discussed on open forum !

A forum that obviously will have members who will most definitely be bidding on this record ,seen as its been discussed by the seller .

Nobody's naive enough to think the tactic you mentioned ,doesn't go on ,but you might have been wiser to pm him with your advice .

Neither can I! It would be nice to think that such tactics were not advocated on this collectors forum!

Edited by Timid Tomas
Social source share

Neither can I! It would be nice to think that honesty, rather than underhand tactics, was advocated on this forum.

Perhaps this has something to do with the record ending early before the larger bids that people had set kicked in?

I am not attacking the seller (as everyone has the right to make money selling their records), but I don't think it is necessarily the case that the record selling for a set large sum of cash is indicative of it going to a passionate collector, could be that it is going to a middle-aged man with an expendable income and an eye for trophy pieces.

Would be great to think that it went to an interesting DJ (perhaps one with an interest in the historical context of the lyrics), but I won't be holding my breath :yes:

Why not pm the seller and ask him ,seen as he took the time to promote his sale on here ?

Not my bag really so count me out :)

Social source share

Any one know if the reissue is legit.

I know a few who put a big snipe on it so it would have sold for double and some of that price.

I think the 'boots' were put out with the family's permission, so does that make them legit? That's all I know. Liam?

Best of it is, I didn't even rate this record when I first heard it down the phone but it sure did grow on me. A collectors item. Superb.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I bought this about 15 years ago cheap, and thought it sounded quirky, and played it a couple of times at Albrighton in the late 1990's covered up - Never thought it was outstanding though, much, much preferred the flip side "James" - though to my mind that does go on a bit. I had it in the back of the box for Years until Mace had it off me, so the real credit must go to him for "breaking" this one.

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

A big wind up? Denso lol.

Any one know if the reissue is legit.

I know a few who put a big snipe on it so it would have sold for double and some of that price.

Hi there the reissue is very legit I've had no problem selling these and they come from reputable reissue company , I buy them through a massive distributor and have all invoices ect.They are great quality and sound great and ive just had to restock as is there popularity .Any one needs one let me know regards Simon.

Social source share

I bought this about 15 years ago cheap, and thought it sounded quirky, and played it a couple of times at Albrighton in the late 1990's covered up - Never thought it was outstanding though, much, much preferred the flip side "James" - though to my mind that does go on a bit. I had it in the back of the box for Years until Mace had it off me, so the real credit must go to him for "breaking" this one.

Des Parker

Agreed.

It was Mace that played it down the phone to me.

Edited by denbo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!