[Rs] platters - washed ashore - musicor

TOAD

• 1 year later...

Guest rovers

Northern Soul,a great record produced by Richard"popcorn"Wylie,a nice dancer too.god even the soul police should be happy with this un.a all rounder if ever there is one.

Social source share

Northern Soul,a great record produced by Richard"popcorn"Wylie,a nice dancer too.god even the soul police should be happy with this un.a all rounder if ever there is one.

These sorta records are why im still on the scene today!!

They were foundation records from clubsl Like the Wheel, Early Mecca , Cats and Pre Torch All Niter on Friday Nights etc

Marvellous Stuff ,,, just played it still gives me the Full Head Tingle

Nige B

Social source share

How can this be considered early? :yes: It's from 1967.

The term " northern " was not coined until 1970 / 71 by Dave Godin , so the release of " WA " in 1967 makes it too early to be labelled so .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Do you mean that only records released after 1970/1971 can be considered northern soul?

I think what Malc was trying to say is that at the time of release and up until when the term Northern Soul was coined it was considered club soul ie the kinda soul being spun in mod type clubs up north particularly.

Anyway I think that's what he's saying, never know with Malc (bless him) laugh.gif

Social source share

THE PLATTERS--DON`T HEAR,SPEAK,SEE NO EVIL -

there best by a country mile -big spin back in the day-lovely on a white demo also!!!

done some wonderful seventies things also -post them up later!!!!

BAZ A

This came out with 2 different titles too Baz (I think there was a thread about it once upon a time) the flip 'I Love You 1000 Times' is also a great record

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

This came out with 2 different titles too Baz (I think there was a thread about it once upon a time) the flip 'I Love You 1000 Times' is also a great record

The white demo is titled the same as the UK Stateside release. Interestingly the lyric is in a different order to the lable ie See, Speak, Hear

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

CANT GET USED TO SHARING YOU - THE PLATTERS - MUSICOR ALBUM - "GOING BACK TO DETROIT" -

incredible record indeed!!!

Thanks Baz, never heard that before. Absolute corker thumbsup.gif

Social source share

T'other side of one of the Washed Ashore issues (prob UK) was this:

PLATTERS - WITH THIS RING 

It was cunningly concealed in my cap on 9th Feb '74 and was played for our "first dance" yes.gif

wedding 008.jpg

Last spun it this year on our 36th Anniversary weekend, surprising a few scooterists who expected it would be something more akin to a Derby & Joan tune.

Social source share

The term " northern " was not coined until 1970 / 71 by Dave Godin , so the release of " WA " in 1967 makes it too early to be labelled so .

Malc Burton

I used to hear it spun at Soul nites in '69 along with What's Wrong With Me Baby.....Invitations; Help Me.....Spellbinders; Moody Woman.....Jerry Butler; etc, etc.

So aren't they "northern" either? rolleyes.gif

Don't forget that Dave Godin's expression was used to term what had been played for some time "up north". It wasn't a new genre, just a new expression.hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Washed Ashore , With this ring,and Sweet Sweet loving were all played around Manchester and no doubt plenty of oher places from being new releases.

By about 1969 were only played in the more cheesy discos and not at the All niters at the Wheel etc.

All great tunes that were played to death in 67/68

Regards

Brian

Social source share

thanks , i know all the above ,but just wanted to see if any one called it anything other than "northern " as it was played well before wwwwwwwwwwigan..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....forgot about the "club soul " possibility, and discounted "funk" ha ha ph34r.gifbiggrin.gif ..not as early a recording as i thought tbh, .......cheers ezzie.........ps crackin 2 sider on uk pye i agree ,dont own it anymore, well i might laugh.gif got there latin themed lp somewhere.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

As it got me thinking in the Musicor label of the week thread

Vinyl stock

IMG_2967.jpg

Styrene stock

IMG_2968.jpg

Why is it that these both have different flips: vinyl has "What Name Shall I Give My Love" styrene has "One In A Million"

What is the story with that & are there promos for each variation, not to mention corresponding vinyl/styrene presses for the alternate flipsides?

For interest here is the New Zealand press

IMG_2963.jpg

It has "What Name" on the flip

Good Question ! ! I have wondered this myself about some 45's I hope someone on here has the Answer, It's one thing different pressing plants but different flipside?? strange. :wave:

Social source share

I will find my Vinyl copy & Provide Relevant Deadwax Information.

MUSICOR_MU-1251a_1.jpgMUSICOR_MU-1251b_1.jpg

MUSICOR_MU-1251a_2.jpgMUSICOR_MU-1251b_2.jpg

The copy i have has "one in a million" b-side, but i never knew there were 2 issues of "washed ashore" with different b-sides. which was issued first ,is there a price difference?

Social source share

both are listed on soulfulkindamusic discog.

The Platters (members David Lynch, Herb Reed, Sonny Turner, Nate Nelson and Sandra Dawn)

Musicor 1166 - I Love You 1000 Times */ Don't Hear, Speak, See No Evil** - 1966 *lead Sonny Turner (on backing vocals is George Clinton), **lead Nate Nelson

Musicor 1195 - Devri*/ Alone In The Light (Without You) - 1966 *Lead Sonny Turner

Musicor 1211 - I'll Be Home* / (You've Got) The Magic Touch - 1966 *Lead Nate Nelson

Musicor 1229 - With This Ring* / If I Had A Love - 1967 *Lead Sonny Turner, On Backing Vocals Is George Clinton. (Dave Lynch Leaves Group In 1967)

Musicor 1251 - Washed Ashore (On A Lonely Island In The Sea)* / What Name Shall I Give You, My Love - 1967 *Lead Sonny Turner

Musicor 1251 - Washed Ashore (On A Lonely Island In The Sea)* / One In A Million - 1967 *Lead Sonny Turner

Musicor 1262 - On Top Of My Mind / Shing-A-Ling-A-Loo - 1967

Musicor 1275 - Sweet, Sweet Lovin' */ Sonata - 1967 *Lead Sonny Turner

Musicor 1288 - Love Must Go On / How Beautiful Our Love Is - 1968

Musicor 1302 - So Many Tears / Think Before You Walk Away* - 1968 *also recorded as "You Might Need Me Another Day" in 1966? by Gloria Taylor on King Soul 493-1

Musicor 1322 - Hard To Get A Thing Called Love / Why - 1968

Musicor 1341 - Fear Of Losing You / Sonata - 1968 (last remaining original Platter Herb Reed leaves group in 1969)

Musicor 1443 - Sweet, Sweet Lovin' */ Be My Love - 1971

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This one on Vinyl "Nashville Matrix" " 5 MU1251-1 "

MUSICOR_MU-1251-A_DJ.jpgMUSICOR_MU-1251-B_DJ.jpg

MUSICOR_MU-1251-A_V-1.gifMUSICOR_MU-1251-B_V-1.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one on STYRENE "MU1251-1" and a Raised "X"
("Shelley Products, Ltd", New York.) I Think, checked at >>> "Anoraks Corner" <<<

MUSICOR_MU-1251-A_S_X-1.gifMUSICOR_MU-1251-B_S_X-1.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one on STYRENE "MU1251-1" (MR) Delta # "67095"
(West Coast Monarch)
the "One In A Million" side has Delta # "67095-X" the -X Denotes the "B Side"
checked at >>> "Anoraks Corner" <<<
Places it at June / July 1967

MUSICOR_MU-1251-A_S_W-1.gifMUSICOR_MU-1251-B_S_W-1.gif

The Complete Matrix for my Monarch "ONE IN A MILLION" also has "MU1251-3 --RE" (MR) Delta # "67095-X"

Therefore it would appear that it's the West Coast Monarch that has "ONE IN A MILLION" as the "B Side"
Not sure if this applies to all Monarch Press for this Release.

Edited by 45cellar
The Complete Matrix for my Monarch
Social source share

This one on STYRENE "MU1251-1" and a Raised "X"

("Shelley Products, Ltd", New York.) I Think, checked at >>> "Anoraks Corner" <<<

MUSICOR_MU-1251-A_S_X-1.gifMUSICOR_MU-1251-B_S_X-1.gif

Therefore it would appear that it's the West Coast Monarch that has "ONE IN A MILLION" as the "B Side"

Not sure if this applies to all Monarch Press for this Release.

Social source share

this is the copy i've got, on STYRENE "MU1251-1" and a Raised "X", but b-side is "one in a million" mu1251-3

Thanks for that., The Complete Matrix for my Monarch "ONE IN A MILLION" also has "MU1251-3 --RE" (MR) Delta # "67095-X"
I was originally thinking that it was only the Monarch Press & some kind of misunderstanding at that particular pressing plant.

It would appear that for some reason they decided to re-press with the different "B Side"across other pressing plants too.
Social source share

Thanks for that., The Complete Matrix for my Monarch "ONE IN A MILLION" also has "MU1251-3 --RE" (MR) Delta # "67095-X"
I was originally thinking that it was only the Monarch Press & some kind of misunderstanding at that particular pressing plant.

It would appear that for some reason they decided to re-press with the different "B Side"across other pressing plants too.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

just noticed credits on right of my "one in a million" side are different to others shown and look similar to those on "what name shall i give you my love" sides shown

Social source share

this is the copy i've got, on STYRENE "MU1251-1" and a Raised "X", but b-side is "one in a million" mu1251-3

At a guess this is an East Coast styrene press - same plant that did all of the Arock, Sylvia and Shrine 45s.... watch the label for falling off, the glue they used was shite.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

anyone got promos of both variants? so weird that they repressed on the west & east coasts on styrene with a different flip.

you just asked what i was thinking, love to see some scans.It's amazing what you can find out on here :sweatingbullets:

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

It's been nearly a week kris I think that we have hit a dead end here. So from what i can gather (but i'm often wrong), We have the original east and west cost copies with "what name shall i give you my love" on the B-Side with "demo's", and the re-release with "one in a million" B-Side released, east and west coat, without "demo's", this might be correct as "washed ashore" had recently been released and "one in a million" was from 1957.

Social source share

• 2 years later...