Up & Coming Dj's. But Who Should Move Over For Them?

Cunnie

So the up & coming DJ thread has had over 250 posts & over 7000 views so here's the dilemma.

Before we know it there will be more DJ's than punters :lol:

Saw a guy do a spot recently (not who i originally mentioned) & he spent the full hour rooted to the spot with his arms folded & it was clear he couldn't be bothered & it was the longest hour i have ever witnessed.

Not going to name him for the simple reason that luckily i've forgot his name.

Remember this is just a bit of fun so no personal attacks please.

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

So the up & coming DJ thread has had over 250 posts & over 7000 views so here's the dilemma.

Who should move over to make space for them, who should be put out to pasture so we don't end up with more DJ's than punters?

dodgy ground here :lol: ...not gonna name anyone but anyone who is living on past reputations , i'm sure they know who they are ...but if pushed and maybe to stir up discussion i'd honestly say anyone over 45

Davie

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't think anyone should move over for anyone else. There might be a finite number of spots, not sure if there are though, but quality will always come through. No one should give a DJ a spot just because they are young or up and coming, that's tokenism and does nobody any favours. The best DJs will get the spots. Let your records and your skill do the talking i say :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I don't think anyone should move over for anyone else. There might be a finite number of spots, not sure if there are though, but quality will always come through. No one should give a DJ a spot just because they are young or up and coming, that's tokenism and does nobody any favours. The best DJs will get the spots. Let your records and your skill do the talking i say :lol:

Sort of get your point, however if nobody is moving over how are we going to know if the new Jocks are any good ?

That is what I love about small local Gigs, you get to hear Djs that have great tunes and are very good technically. However they will not get a chance at the big events if the old school do not back down !

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Here we go again with the Logan's Run brigade.

Why should anyone retire? As long as they keep buying records and playing new stuff (or have great oldies if that's what the club demands) why shouldn't they keep going?

The only reason the other thread got so many views is that hordes of people who mistakenly think they are 'young' (face it you're not young - you just feel young because you spend your weekends with people older than you are. Same reason I make sure all my mates are ugly) were probably reading it 25 times a day in the hope that one of their mates had mentioned their name.

Quality is quality and personally I'd rather watch Goodfellas than Bugsy Malone.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

You have to have good promoters who can scout for new jocks or bring the good ones back ( Northern Scene Wise ) .maybe Dave Thorley should try his hand again . For the thread , anyone whose got a buspass should retire :lol::lol:

Simon

Spooky ! I was out with him last night at Monumental and he was saying just that !!!!

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Who should move over to make space for them, who should be put out to pasture so we don't end up with more DJ's than punters?

Just to get the ball rolling i nominate Mr Brian Rae, the guy has been around since day 1 & has given pleasure to countless punters covering several generations so enjoy your retirement old fella, you've earned it :lol:

Personaly i don,t think there is any need for anyone to retire from the wheels of steal if you look at the line up iv,e got on at Heavenly Blocked All-Dayer 6th May the age,s of the DJs range from 26 to 52 all who have been booked for wot they play not who they are :lol: who cares how old someone is as long as they play the records that are required to fill the dancefloor at the said venue i use a mix of local & national known DJs it seems to work for us if you dont believe me come down and see for yourself

HB :lol:

Social source share

Guest Dodger

dodgy ground here :lol: ...not gonna name anyone but anyone who is living on past reputations , i'm sure they know who they are ...but if pushed and maybe to stir up discussion i'd honestly say anyone over 45

Davie

Well that would get rid of 95% of the DJ's then!! :lol::lol:

Social source share

for real ?

cant get more personal than telling someone that they are past their sell by date

only reason thread is still here is cause of follow on posts

ask you to give the guy you nominated a bit of respect and get rid of his name

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Well that would get rid of 95% of the DJ's then!! :lol::lol:

so be it lol .... be forced into allowing the younger generation through .. :lol: for good or bad

once again only an opinion :lol:

i think , up to this point the oldest dj that has done basics is 38 ish , and apart from the odd exception that will be the norm

Davie

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

so be it lol .... be forced into allowing the younger generation through .. :lol: for good or bad

once again only an opinion :lol:

i think , up to this point the oldest dj that has done basics is 38 ish , and apart from the odd exception that will be the norm

Davie

If theyre any good they'll shine thru', if theyre not they wont..................any decent promoter books on quality not the age of the DJ, jeez what ever next...............to a teenager any one over 25 is past it, so where the hell 38 comes from is beyond me, can we just concentrate on the music please, ridiculous comments about age etc just detract from it, who gives a toss so long as the quality is there. One of the very very very best DJ's the scene has ever had or will have for that matter is Soul Sam, & I would be most upset if this guy was forcibly made to retire, no one could replace this fella, fantastic taste, the bollocks to play unknowns frequently & the enthusiasm of DJ's half his age, you retire naturally when the bookings stop.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

If theyre any good they'll shine thru', if theyre not they wont..................any decent promoter books on quality.

Russ

absolutely ... be nice wouldn't it :lol:

Social source share

Guest Mick W

Got to agree with many of the points, however just because youre considered old (over 45)does not necessarily mean that youre going to play OLD STUFF all the time...now and then maybe, theres lots of quality Soul out there post 60/70's The new tunes are not necessarily the domain of the young...ask Dodger !!! Bob Jones etc......... :lol:

From an extremely old fella !! :lol:

Have a Gorilla :lol:

Edited by Mick W
Social source share

for real ?

cant get more personal than telling someone that they are past their sell by date

only reason thread is still here is cause of follow on posts

ask you to give the guy you nominated a bit of respect and get rid of his name

No problem Mike, should have known better rhan to name him, still owe him 1 though the crafty sod for cleaning me out over a game of cards a while back !

Social source share

this one really gets my goat , a lot of the older d.j's can still show the young ones a thing or two what really gets me are so called d.j's who can't or won't even use a mike, yes you can play a few more records but not everyone in the building will know what's being played, just remember this d.j's are there to entertain a crowd and create an atmosphere if you dont use a mike and stand there looking like you'de sooner be watchin corrie or eastenders the crowd will pick up on this ,

at the end of the day it's the punters who pay your wages at the end of the night if you give them a good time they will return so as for older d.j's giving up well im sure that when thier ready they will . :lol:

and russ i agree with you soulsam is by far the best d.j.for his enthusiasm, commitment and entertainment, and of course for breaking new records

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

this one really gets my goat , a lot of the older d.j's can still show the young ones a thing or two what really gets me are so called d.j's who can't or won't even use a mike,

:lol: here we go again .... the old mic debate .( yes by the way it is spelt MIC as in MICrophone) not getting into it again was as boring as hell last time

Davie

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

So as long as they're young it doesn't matter if they are crap? :lol: I like to hear decent DJs of any age not those who fall under some arbitrary age limit.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

So as long as they're young it doesn't matter if they are crap? :lol:

now thats not likely to happen now is it ? give more a shot , if they are crap don't ask them back ...simple isn't it .

there would be a lot less dj's if people who couldn't string a spot together were told early doors that they were crap and isn't it a populist saying that "everyone is a dj these days " well lets thin it out .... old and young and end with the best of the bunch and not just the same names

Davie

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Got to agree with many of the points, however just because youre considered old (over 45)does not necessarily mean that youre going to play OLD STUFF all the time...now and then maybe, theres lots of quality Soul out there post 60/70's The new tunes are not necessarily the domain of the young...ask Dodger !!! Bob Jones etc......... :lol:

From an extremely old fella !! :lol:

Have a Gorilla :lol:

:lol::lol: To say age has anything to do with being a good DJ is complete shit. I'm as on the case for new and fresh tunes as any of my peers or anyone I know personally for that matter and I'm not scared to ever play them when I DJ. And as somebodys' said, take Soul Sam for instance, and whilst I don't agree with a lot of his hypocrisy and often galling way of telling others in print how they should be doing things the way he does, I totally respect his enthusiasm and bollocks as a DJ who'll trust his own judgement with the music he plays. I'm 48 in a couple of weeks time and Sam's coming up to his Queen's telegram :D:D so why should a couple of DJ's who try and keep things fresh and moving forward in their respective scenes be told to move over because they're over a certain age. I'd hope the original post was tongue in cheek because age has nothing to do with being a decent DJ, it's about attitude towards the music and awareness of the people you're playing to, and much of the latter comes from experience. The only people imho who should move over are the DJ's being booked on the strength of past glories but who are still churning out the same sets and tunes they were doing 10/15 years ago - that (again imho) is why things can get so stagnant for some.

But as we all know, it's not what you know it's who you know and and the only people who really care are the other DJ's who want to take their place and let's be honest, most punters couldn't care less which DJ is playing the music as long as it's music they like, a fact which I think many DJ's can't grasp . . . :lol:

All imvfho of course!! :lol:

Social source share

Why should anyone retire? As long as they keep buying records and playing new stuff (or have great oldies if that's what the club demands) why shouldn't they keep going?

The only reason the other thread got so many views is that hordes of people who mistakenly think they are 'young' (face it you're not young - you just feel young because you spend your weekends with people older than you are. Same reason I make sure all my mates are ugly) were probably reading it 25 times a day in the hope that one of their mates had mentioned their name.

Quality is quality and personally I'd rather watch Goodfellas than Bugsy Malone.

:lol: well said Andy

Social source share

Exactly, a bit like booking girls just for that reason. Most people who want to DJ get asked to do small local things, if they are any good they get asked to do more and so on.

I doubt anyone is just asked to DJ at a big nighter, most people would have gone the route of gradually getting their name known and bookings on the strength of what they have done before.

To book people because they fit a certian age criteria is rather silly IMO

Social source share

Well siad Mr BB :lol::lol: (in fact that's the only sensible thing you have said for a long time....apart from the comment at prestatyn that there may be a Sunday Snug in May)..................but have you ever wondered if people are friends with you for the same reason :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

The only people imho who should move over are the DJ's being booked on the strength of past glories but who are still churning out the same sets and tunes they were doing 10/15 years ago - that (again imho) is why things can get so stagnant for some.

But as we all know, it's not what you know it's who you know

thats what i said originally before i intentionally got up peoples noses by saying 45 :lol:

as for the second bit , even i'm shying away from that one :lol:

Social source share

Davie

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

very dodgy ground, 10,000 lines and a rap on the knuckles with a ruler may be pending young Davie.

There are alot of DJs above ..... shall I say a certain age........... who are still packing floors, finding new sounds and also have the experience of "working the floor" which is something which can only come with experience(IMHO)..............but it is all about a right of passage.....me thinks......

OK, someone pass me my coat :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest hammy

If you're good enough you're old enough. Age shouldn't be a barrier to getting a spot, but it cuts both ways as far as I'm concerned. If you're shit, then just because you're young, don't expect people to hold back in tellign you so.

There's too many out there on the scene already who shouldn't be let within 2 miles of a set of decks to do a set IMHO.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest Dodger

thats what i said originally before i intentionally got up peoples noses by saying 45 :lol:

as for the second bit , even i'm shying away from that one :lol:

A little bit of controversy always makes for good reading as we all know!! :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

very dodgy ground, 10,000 lines and a rap on the knuckles with a ruler may be pending young Davie.

oh i know chrissie , but it got the discussion moving didn't it :lol: ...

i think the age thing is an attitude rather than a number though , as dodger has said he is still at the forefront of his scene and that is fair play to him .

nowt wrong with opinions though is there , even if the majority don't agree :lol:

Davie

If you're good enough you're old enough. Age shouldn't be a barrier to getting a spot, but it cuts both ways as far as I'm concerned. If you're shit, then just because you're young, don't expect people to hold back in tellign you so.

There's too many out there on the scene already who shouldn't be let within 2 miles of a set of decks to do a set IMHO.

Hammy

as it should be hammy , as it should be

Social source share

oh i know chrissie , but it got the discussion moving didn't it :lol: ...

i think the age thing is an attitude rather than a number though , as dodger has said he is still at the forefront of his scene and that is fair play to him .

nowt wrong with opinions though is there , even if the majority don't agree :lol:

Davie

as it should be hammy , as it should be

Don't get me wrong, I love to see "new blood" but the respect of the floor has to be earned, and that takes time, not just a record collection :lol: and a £££££££

QoFxx

Social source share

WHY IS THIS COMING UP AGAIN,BEEN AROUND THE SCENE FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS,PUT UP WITH THE ELITISM AT THE BEGINING,IF YOU HAVE A CLUE AND KNOW HOW TO ENTERTAIN PEOPLE,WHATS THE PROBLEM ? THIS IS NOT A SELF THING DJD LAST NIGHT ALONG WITH A MATE WHO HAS FAR BETTER RECORDS THAN ME,BUT BOTH OF US WOULD NOT TAKE ANY MONEY OFF THE GUY RUNNING THE VENUE,BECAUSE THERE DID NOT APPEAR TO BE ENOUGH PEOPLE THROUGH THE THE DOOR TO JUSTIFY IT .

AND BEFORE ANYONE GETS ON A SOAPBOX I DO PLAY ORIGINAL RECORDS BOUGHT BY ME FOR MY TASTE IN MUSIC. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Dodger

as dodger has said he is still at the forefront of his scene and that is fair play to him .

Good grief I would never say anything like that, nor would I infer anything like that, the LAST thing I am is a 'big up ya'self bwoyyyy'!!! :lol::lol: I only tried to point out that age, compared with the right all round attitude, is irrelevant when a DJ's behind the decks.

Social source share

If theyre any good they'll shine thru', if theyre not they wont..................any decent promoter books on quality not the age of the DJ, jeez what ever next...............

Russ

Agree with you Russ with the if they are good enough comment. However not all promoters book quality, many dj's get sets because of who they know and not how good they are :lol:

All the dj's that make me want to travel have been around years and I don't see anyone good enough coming through to move them over.

Social source share

thanks Cunnie

edited a quote as well just to clean up

mike

Thanks Mike :lol:

Should just make it clear that it was not an age thing, far from it but perhaps i could have worded it a bit better.

If you click on this link from this site & read post 21 i'm sure you will see what i mean.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...opic=26394&st=0

Hope that clears it up.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

Should just make it clear that it was not an age thing, far from it but perhaps i could have worded it a bit better.

If you click on this link from this site & read post 21 i'm sure you will see what i mean.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...opic=26394&st=0

Hope that clears it up.

Now I never took this as an age thing in the first place. Just Djs that have been doing the rounds for years, yes ?

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Now I never took this as an age thing in the first place. Just Djs that have been doing the rounds for years, yes ?
Not really Gav, more of a dig at DJ's who just go through the motions.

EG, Turn up 10 minuites before they're due on, play the 20 records that they have decided on & then piss off as soon as they have been paid.

Dodger summed it up perfectly in his earlier post regarding his comments about Sam, still as keen as a 21 year old & still doing it because he loves it. Same can be said for Dodger, both Dodger & Sam have done spots for Modernism & when Sam was on he was bouncing about like a kid with a new toy behind the decks. Hope i've still got as much enthusiasm when i get to that age.

As for Dodger the night he did our's we were quiet for a number of reasons, clashing with other night's, shit weather etc. but he still drove over the pennines & did a great spot with as much enthusiasm as if the place was packed to the rafters, he even turned down his fee as we were quiet & just took his petrol money (didn't know he drove a Rolls Royce though :thumbsup: ).

That's the point i'm trying to make, guy's who do it for the love of the music rather than how much they're gonna get paid.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

As for Dodger the night he did our's we were quiet for a number of reasons, clashing with other night's, shit weather etc. but he still drove over the pennines & did a great spot with as much enthusiasm as if the place was packed to the rafters, he even turned down his fee as we were quiet & just took his petrol money (didn't know he drove a Rolls Royce though :thumbsup: ).

That's the point i'm trying to make, guy's who do it for the love of the music rather than how much they're gonna get paid.

I think me being on was the reason you were quiet Mart!! :yes::yes::lol:

Social source share

For 2 years at sheridans we gave 3 spots at every allniter to up and comeing djs in the front room,and in all that time only 2 or 3 impressed enough to be booked for the main room.Now we are at middleton and the main room lineup is second to none,our numbers through the door are growing with every allniter but with the exception of 1 or 2 the djs are of the more mature persuasion.Theres no point trying to bullshit about up and comeing djs,most of whom play to 30 or 40 people in clubs with the same band of back slappers telling each other how good they are.If a young dj is good enough he or she will get there in the end,but it is not going to happen over nite imho obviously.And before the usual bleaters start with ,well how do we get a chance then,we still have a smaller room running at middleton that gives up young and some not so young new djs a chance to impress.

Social source share

WHY IS THIS COMING UP AGAIN,BEEN AROUND THE SCENE FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS,PUT UP WITH THE ELITISM AT THE BEGINING,IF YOU HAVE A CLUE AND KNOW HOW TO ENTERTAIN PEOPLE,WHATS THE PROBLEM ? THIS IS NOT A SELF THING DJD LAST NIGHT ALONG WITH A MATE WHO HAS FAR BETTER RECORDS THAN ME,BUT BOTH OF US WOULD NOT TAKE ANY MONEY OFF THE GUY RUNNING THE VENUE,BECAUSE THERE DID NOT APPEAR TO BE ENOUGH PEOPLE THROUGH THE THE DOOR TO JUSTIFY IT .

AND BEFORE ANYONE GETS ON A SOAPBOX I DO PLAY ORIGINAL RECORDS BOUGHT BY ME FOR MY TASTE IN MUSIC. :yes::lol::yes::lol:

Bin there plenty of times it not always about the money it,s about playing the right records at the right time entertaining the crowd if it,s 10 or 1000 and yes all mine are real records too :thumbsup:

HB :yes:

Social source share

For 2 years at sheridans we gave 3 spots at every allniter to up and comeing djs in the front room,and in all that time only 2 or 3 impressed enough to be booked for the main room.Now we are at middleton and the main room lineup is second to none,our numbers through the door are growing with every allniter but with the exception of 1 or 2 the djs are of the more mature persuasion.Theres no point trying to bullshit about up and comeing djs,most of whom play to 30 or 40 people in clubs with the same band of back slappers telling each other how good they are.If a young dj is good enough he or she will get there in the end,but it is not going to happen over nite imho obviously.And before the usual bleaters start with ,well how do we get a chance then,we still have a smaller room running at middleton that gives up young and some not so young new djs a chance to impress.

I know this is true cus i am one of the 2or3 that came thru now im part and very prode to be part of the Soultown Team

HB :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Great idea, and is deffo the way forward !

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

as we discussed at prestatyn andy i do the same thing (though i very very very smaller scale ) in that we have a newcomer spot for anyone who wants it , we've had good ones and erm not so good ones and in december ran a newcomers night when we had 4 of them on and one of them has progressed to the main line up for the next even in may

Social source share

as we discussed at prestatyn andy i do the same thing (though i very very very smaller scale ) in that we have a newcomer spot for anyone who wants it , we've had good ones and erm not so good ones and in december ran a newcomers night when we had 4 of them on and one of them has progressed to the main line up for the next even in may

==============

I love these threads, no one ever gets named as a has-been DJ it's all by inference. We constantly read the "It's who you know" blurb, but again never quite find out who it is you need to know. I understand Mike/all mods want to keep things sane (and probably legal) but doesn't that make these kind of threads pointless? On the age limit for DJ's issue, what difference does it make, is anyone coming through that's playing something completely different, I can think of perhaps one, naming him (and it is only my opinion) would detract from the general lets never name anybody feel of the thread ph34r.gif

And if you limit the age of the DJ's, don't you then have to limit the age of the punters, or is it just DJ's that are over the hill over the age of 40 :thumbsup:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Young people are evil and really cheeky to boot, they don't have any respect for us elderly folk and laugh at our dancing and dress sense and our bald spots.

They should never be allowed to dj. Over 50s only behind the decks please!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!