The Name Game

(response to Kev Roberts on stoke thread)

fish are biting..

ooh err nothing like a good hearty discussion, and this is just that... nothing like a good hearty discussion.

watch my mouth son: why lots of people have ster added onto either their first or surname, (well maybe its just a footie thing)

I was merely enquiring what moniker ur finally settling for on here, i take it robster it aint then.

i am not anti oldies nites or various promotional techniques or in any camp.

my beef in this instance is people coming on here under various/anonymous names,

that in my (entitled) opinion is misuse of this forum, which

until now has run along fairly good natured ethics.

ur quite good at labels urself;

4th division... does that make me league 2, or a conference league side now,

hope u know more about music than u do football.

i'm a crazed terrorist? .........so whose getting melodramatic now, that's a shot across the bows, am not gunning for you a man of your calibre. tho i did used to terrorize defences at one time but at 74 me best seasons are behind me now.

take some of ur own advice; grow up, lighten up and on here

no more name games and you'll get more respect.

Danny "derringer" Duggan

Player/Manager AFC Wimbledon :)

ps; u can call me danster, dugster or woteva comes to hand..

pps; apologies and sorry spanner we've now said hello

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Why Richard Butler chose to go to AFC Wimbledon is beyond me!  Everybody knows the mighty Ashford Town (Middx) FC is the better team! :D:D

link

Hey Supercorsa Ashford Town Middx as opposed to Ashford Town Kent cant keep up with all these names :rolleyes: was using AFC Wimbledon as an example of a team that bears resemblance to where their from, even if temporarily its somewhere non league :thumbup: Actually I grew up in Bedford, their back in the Southern league Prem but struggling ....back to soul

Any Bedford Soul Fans on here?

Danny D

(Newly installed)

Bedford Town Youth Team Assistant Manager :(

Danny,

You see, we do have something in common, we both know F*** All about football.

We could include Ponds Forger 'Mark Etheridge' who like me suffers the woes of Hillsborough week in week out.

I have to shout about our activities as I have no other life.

Dominoes anyone?

Kev

Guest ShaneH

Danny,

We could include Ponds Forger 'Mark Etheridge' who like me suffers the woes of Hillsborough week in week out.

I have to shout about our activities as I have no other life.

Dominoes anyone?

Kev

link

I am up for talking about the woes of Hillsborough! lol

Shane

Danny,

Kev

------------------

aw shucks i had to retire to a darkened room after that, me n me new best buddy kevster :)

but there u spoilt it again belittling the little man, little club as knowing nout bout owt coz biggest is best aah...i bet u possess something small.

cheers m8

Stompster,

Supporting the Owls and having small tackle makes one very resiliant.

Now go immediately to my 'floor fillers/clearers' thread. And write something of great distinction....

Kevster

why, the idea of naming floor fillers/killers is subjective and pointless as we all have differing tastes and aims.

if u play oldies some of the tunes will sound same ole to a progressive, and a "newie" might go over the heads of the nostalgia/feel good/party people. further splits will come with "modern", xover, rnb, and by region

the scene has mainly been underground that requires somewhere keeping it edgy with a constant addition of material that will satisfy those who desire new stuff, this helps to attract new soulies who will have no connection with the early 7t's events... Todays newie is tomorrows oldie.

Am sure theme nights attract many returnees both basic divisions can live side by side.

The scene is tagged as the first one to put more importance on the dj than the artist, therefore what makes a good dj would probably be a more intriguing question to pose here.

Anorak/copycat/play to the floor, Play what they want, everything over £ 1000....to me the art of playing the records in the best order, carrying the floor with them as much as possible has always been my understanding of how any dj on the dance scene works..each club having its differing tastes/appetites be it for something old/new/borrowed or blue.

Mr. Indistinctive

Stompster,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. In simple terms, some react better to the 'oldeez' mentality than others.

Radio wise, I am asked for Ruby Andrews-Just Loving You every frigging week, but as a pro, I have to help 'keep the scene' popular(imo), otherwise we really will be underground and Soul Source and the like will have 50 members, I'll be out of business, Kent will sell 400 cd's instead of 2,000 etc etc etc.

Believe me, I relish the day when the 'please play Keni Lewis-Not The Marrying Kind' request comes in from 'listener in Halifax' on a regular basis. Quite simply mate, it ain't gonna happen.

Strangely enough, I do believe(and I hope I don't start the debate again) that the scene's early finds -circa 1971-79(excluding the Joe 90 madness) were and are still the most irresistable to dancers and me too.

The Clooney piccy was chosen by the wife. She's sick of the Spencers Bags, Bowling shirt and holdall. Apparently I've got to smarten up or else!

GC looking good but steady on Kev, we can't hav this agreeing mularky.

Yeah some of the great stuff (and very worst) is the early finds, plus there is a few worth reevaluating- the ones which were only played for a few weeks due to sheer quality & volume at that time.

But for some life would b dull if we already heard our top 5 back in say 76...possibly we have, for many its a journey about trying to listen to as many new tunes as possible and getting blown away by an unknown sound. today there is a more scope as not every tune has to stomp along as tastes have widened.

i dont think SS would drop too many members, of the say 1600 on here half i feel are at least interested in progressive stuff checking each others playlists, noting new tunes, plus people will always be attracted to underground music. tho i dont want it to regress underground its all about balance!

I note that as a dj you have records that you want but cant play that seems unfulfilling musically.

If we stick with purely oldies/popular where is your market in say 10 years the whole thing would have gone stale.

Danny D

• 2 months later...

Actually I grew up in Bedford, their back in the Southern league Prem but struggling ....back to soul

Any Bedford Soul Fans on here?

Danny D

===========

Hiya Danny

Hows it going? 3:30 in the morning and trawling through old threads, I must be a little mad :)

Think I'd qualify as a Bedford soul fan :-)

Winston:-)

Hiya Danny

Hows it going? 3:30 in the morning and trawling through old threads, I must be a little mad

Think I'd qualify as a Bedford soul fan :-)

Winston:-)

Like Winnie I guess I'd count as Bedford as we spend most of our time with the crew and attend Kempston

TheBigO

Yes Winston u r completely bonkers mad :) , TheBigO can join our gang too as ur in Beds with us?

I mentioned to Mick Smith in an earlier post that Rovers is 30 next year, but got my maths wrong (think) it'll only been going 29 years as a 100% Northern night... huh just a pup...hey tho Cutler Hammer Social Club Me n franks 1st promotion would be 30 next year!

must make it to a Rovers 1 friday meet u weirdo lot, say hello to em all

cheers, come on u eagles

Danny D

Yes Winston u r completely bonkers mad :) , TheBigO can join our gang too as ur in Beds with us?

I mentioned to Mick Smith in an earlier post that Rovers is 30 next year, but got my maths wrong (think) it'll only been going 29 years as a 100% Northern night... huh just a pup...hey tho Cutler Hammer Social Club Me n franks 1st promotion would be 30 next year!

must make it to a Rovers 1 friday meet u weirdo lot, say hello to em all

cheers, come on u eagles

Danny D

============

The Cutler Hammer nights....or Brookhurst Igranic as it was....yeah I remember those well. Tommy T did some there, but stopped about 5/6 years ago, shame really, lovely dance floor. I did see Frank at Rovers 2/3/4 years ago, over on a flying visit (the passage of time doesn't sit well with me) :D But if you don't make a Rovers....I'm sure I'll see you at Cleethorpes again.

Still can't get over how my daughters (Emz) is Breda's best mate, and they didn't have a clue that we'd known each other for so long.

All the best Danny

Winnie:-)

Hey Winston

probably just as well them young ones didnt know about our history.

for the record back in 73 you asked me if i liked northern soul, was the 1st time i'd heard the term mentioned, the rest as they day...

wonder where everyone else heard the term out for 1st time?

take it easy Winston catch you sometime soon am sure.

Danny D