Title: barbara st clair - teacherman
Artist: barbara st clair
Track: teacherman
Label: cross eyed bear

ceb 01 usa Record information:

below by site

info from forum 2007

a bit of background info on this 45 from the writer and co-producer Ron Davies

I recall that I played keyboards and clavinet on both Teacherman and the flip, Jeckyl and Hyde. The other producer, Rich Calandra, also played drums on the record. He passed away several years ago.

I listened to it again, and it does sound good ... quite a production considering we recorded it in a studio/barn.

We tried to promote the record on the fledgling disco DJ network at the time ('76) in the US, but they thought it was too R&B and "weak disco" - not commercial enough for their taste.

Our production company that put the record together also produced a band called Spyro Gyra that went on to have top 40 pop jazz hits in the US. I know they were also popular in the UK.

I am a soul jazz organist and still perform with Barbara - and I host a Soul Saturday Matinee where Barb is a regualr guest. She still sounds great. We are based in the Buffalo area of New York State (in the western part of the state) That's where the record was recorded.

The Buffalo, NY area here is a hotbed of soul, funk and blues and it's nice to see that it strikes a chord with you guys.

Ron Davis

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/47010-teacherman-barbara-st-clair-background-info/

from Buffalo,N.Y. Barbara St. Clair also sung with local group Pinkooshins (see related clips)

Social source share

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 1
  • Views 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just a further note about a couple of interesting articles on Barbara St Clair via the WNY.FM website

Stories of Music in Western New York

first is about the Pinkooshions

Barbara St. Clair started singing professionally as a teenager in Buffalo vocal group The Supremes, recording one 45 alongside members (Dr.) Lonnie Smith and Grover Washington.

Coming under the guidance of Buffalo DJ Lucky Pierre, she worked the local record hop scene until becoming part of The Sessions. This bunch - who had the then-popular typical girl group pop/soul sound - came together for a session produced by Joey Reynolds - hence their name. They cut a version of Joey's song he had previously produced with Tony Galla, "Guys Go For Girls." In their case they changed a few words, as appropriate, but they saved money on the date by re-using the backing track from Tony's record! - See more at:

next is more about this 45 and can be read here

Social source share