If You Started Collecting Today

As I'm getting the collecting bug again (after selling up 4 years ago) I wondered how to start up again. I have chased a few titles I regret selling (without much luck) and am wondering which way to go about it. Would you hold out for the big ticket items that you like and have a small quallity collection or buy cheaper items that you like and go for quantity?

With the absence of soul packs and dealers with multiple copies along with shops full of 45s, would the internet and venue purchases be the only way to start collecting today?

How would you collect yours??

Blake H :thumbsup:

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Depends on if you want to simply collect and enjoy the music on any format or if you want to go for the original big ticket originals, if money is no object then go for the later or if you are on a budget there are still hundreds of beautiful records out there to discover, collect and enjoy without breaking the bank.

Either way the bug never goes away does it??

Happy collecting - regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Just buy music you like. :thumbsup:

For me that tends to be great black music from 1963 to 2006 so that's way to broad. So if I were you Blake, I'd narrow it down to your prefered era and buy the classics of the genre....Get anything else you like on CD/MP3 then your collection will have coherence.

Social source share

Would you hold out for the big ticket items and have a small quallity collection or buy cheaper items and go for quantity?

Blake H :huh:

What do you base that statement on? What makes you think the cheaper items won't be quality? :lol:

As for where to start to collect again, internet sites, ebay, dealers at do's, car boot sales, secondhand record shops, this site. :thumbsup:

Social source share

years ago when younger i would get drawn into the mass hysteria that surrounded some sounds...you know the floor fillers etc...and once i bought them found they werent as good as they sounded with all the atmosphere of the venue..and i also used to listen to the 1st 20 seconds of a track and like or dislike on that before i forward wound the tape or switched my brain off...big mistake overlooked some gems that way.

Now i listen to tracks a few times before dismissing or liking them, i also buy what i like,.... i dont think thats too broad....... i buy 60's right through to modern, its not the spectrum of soul thats too broad but the funds that are too narrow :huh:

P.S. i also get great tips courtesy of Dave and Bri Pinches who have put me onto some lovely tracks over the years :thumbsup: ..

Geeoooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I wouldn't consider myself a major collector but I try to buy quality that i like, that doesn't get played too often, or isn't in vogue at the moment so it's likely to be cheaper. If it comes round again then you have it and you can watch it climbing in price on ebay with satisfaction. I'm finding that there are still thousands of 45s out there for decent money that aren't currently trendy but in addition it's also good to get a current biggie. I find having a theme can be interesting too. I collect Port label and The Five Stairsteps artist amongst other regular stuff.

I think it also depends if you're just collecting, or you intend to DJ at some point.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

collect some big lads

:thumbsup::huh::lol::D that's just got to be you Cliff. That's what I'm doing anyway, and I'll be spinning them at Burnley Cricket Club on saturday night. Can't wait to hear your new stuff Cliff. Tell you what, that was the funniest thing I've ever read on here. I'm still drying my eyes now. :D Private joke but bloody funny.

p.s. you are supposed to sign your name. Phil.

Social source share

Guest 50box

What I do is concentrate on 2 at the most, then when I`ve got them the next one I want becomes known.

Never pay more than your valuation.

Cheap but rewarding.

Social source share

There's plenty of great cheap, not very well known stuff on ebay, I started with that and buy bigger money items when funds allow. I had a £1000 tax rebate just before xmas but managed to spend about three times that, been skint since.

Crumb

Social source share

As I'm getting the collecting bug again (after selling up 4 years ago) I wondered how to start up again. I have chased a few titles I regret selling (without much luck) and am wondering which way to go about it. Would you hold out for the big ticket items and have a small quallity collection or buy cheaper items and go for quantity?

With the absence of soul packs and dealers with multiple copies along with shops full of 45s, would the internet and venue purchases be the only way to start collecting today?

Blake

Stop now and spend the money on booze, I'll post you back all those tapes you did me 20+ years ago!

Social source share

knowing what you used to have blake youd need a lottery win to buy back your old titles

certainly off the dealers. me and bri only buy on the net as we cant afford dealer prices

£500 for delegates of soul etc :thumbsup:

but as other guys have said, quality dosent equal price tagsand its a bottomless pit.

loads of cheaper crossover and 70s out there and i know thats what you like

happy hunting mate

dave pinches

Social source share

As I'm getting the collecting bug again (after selling up 4 years ago) I wondered how to start up again. I have chased a few titles I regret selling (without much luck) and am wondering which way to go about it. Would you hold out for the big ticket items and have a small quallity collection or buy cheaper items and go for quantity?

Blake H blush.gif

================================================================================

=

Best thing Blake is to come down to my house with a big bucket of cash and offer me double what

everythings worth then you can build up a nice collection of tunes like you use to have :thumbsup:whistling.gif:unsure:

Social source share

Thanks for all your advice and offers guys, Your all right of course, I always bought records I liked and very rarely chased the crowd. My wants were mainly garnered from tape swops/purchases (Anyone remember Kent Harris' tape "Mess in the pants" that J Manship used to sell?) with many dealers saying it was refreshing to get a list with different titles from the usual ones.

I didn't say quantity in any way detracted the quality but its a fact of life in soul collecting that some 45s cost a lot more than others, I just asked what you would do if you started from scratch.

I did and still do have a perchant for Epic 70s records and would still like to persue some of that labels releases, Billy Proctor,etc etc.

So thanks again.............now where's my E-bay password

Blake H whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

its been said already but there's far better cheap quality records than expensive quality IMO, many that never see a dj's turntable either that would put many big ticket items to shame. You just need the patience to go looking.

Todays cheapie = tomorrows big ticket item :thumbsup:

Buy what you like, want and believe in smile.gif

Social source share

I only ever buy vinyl records that i like to listen too, isn't that the whole ethic behind whatever genre of music you choose to follow ? If not, then it becomes akin to collecting stamps to me, plus there are a absolute myriad of reasonable priced records (well if you aren't blinkered into thinking good soul was only recorded over 10 years) that cover all the eras since the inception of rhythm 'n' blues. Plus todays cheaper records will become tomorrows big ticket items..........just look at the history of collecting rare soul records....still happening today. (This statement has been said to me by many of the top drawer rare soul dealers in the World...)

Social source share

As I'm getting the collecting bug again (after selling up 4 years ago) I wondered how to start up again. I have chased a few titles I regret selling (without much luck) and am wondering which way to go about it. Would you hold out for the big ticket items that you like and have a small quallity collection or buy cheaper items that you like and go for quantity?

Blake H wink.gif

I had to sell my last collection 18 month's ago and have started from scratch on my own a few month's ago. At first I kept thinking about the big stuff, but soon decided it was a negative outlook which kept me in the past. :(

I now have more fun collecting record's that I like but don't hear out often or never heard before, and they are within my budget so I'm not stressed finding big money. I enjoy going through record's picking stuff I've not heard before, playing both side's and the excitement you get when you hear something that take's your breath away and the added bonus it's not in the £100's bracket is what it's all about nowaday's for me. :(

Most record bar's have dealer's with player's where at your leisure you can spend hour's listening to record's before buying. :) There is also Ebay, List's which can now be emailed and word of mouth with mate's and through posting up want's list.

Great to see you and Nicky at Prestatyn, when we meet up at Yarmouth we'll have to spend a few hour's in the record bar so you can start your collection. ( Wondering what Nicky think's about this? ) :yes:

Karen.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I try not to buy at record bars these days unless i can get a VERY good deal, or pick up cheap quality play that's out of fashion, picked up Get On Board - King Coleman at Brum for a tenner, smashing sound. :yes:

Social source share

I have loads of fun looking and checking sound clips on several sites, great, rewarding and can be a cheaper option, i don't really go to that many venues and have never really been into looking through hundreds of boxes.Enjoy the odd visit to Manchester on my day off to check out the couple of well known shops there and always come away with a couple of little gems, other wise it's the regular list method and the odd punt for the more hard to find 45's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I generally collect what i like and try and get things cheap like £5 - £20. Dad collects most of it and is not bothered on quality, he would be happy paying £5 for a reissue then say £300 or whatever for an original. But goes to car boots so looks for UK or US issues cheap there. Paid only £1 for Pointer Sisters - Send Him Back on Atlantic records yet worth a lot more. If i had much money i would prob buy a few nice big pricey items but i look around for cheap stuff

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i only ever buy what i like , that usually involves trying to get underplayed in my own particular field with the odd big item thrown in if i want it enough

Social source share

I can only agree with some of the sentiments written here ie 'Just buy what you like' ...that's what I do. I start by looking through loads of record boxes until my fingers start to bleed and then proceed to put the records that I am interested in to the back of the box (to get later on) Then I go back later on to find that they have all gone or been mixed up again. :)

Another good place to look is in your own sales box. I was looking at Pat Brady's website where he had got a record up for sale for £50. The same record had been in my sales box for about 8 years for a £5 for the other side. I quickly flipped it over and thought 'this ain't bad, I'll have that' :D So what's the moral of this story?.....I don't know perhaps someone could tell me... :D

Edited by Chunky
Social source share

5 good 20 quid records or 1 100 quid Good record, 90% of the time I would go for the 5 20 quiders Allways buy what I like no matter how naff someone else thinks it is. Unless you are a DJ you have to buy for yourself or whats the point.

Social source share

Another good place to look is in your own sales box. I was looking at Pat Brady's website where he had got a record up for sale for £50. The same record had been in my sales box for about 8 years for a £5 for the other side. I quickly flipped it over and thought 'this ain't bad, I'll have that' :yes: So what's the moral of this story?.....I don't know perhaps someone could tell me... :(

Just out of interest, what was the record? :yes:

Social source share

I only ever buy vinyl records that i like to listen too, isn't that the whole ethic behind whatever genre of music you choose to follow ? If not, then it becomes akin to collecting stamps to me, plus there are a absolute myriad of reasonable priced records (well if you aren't blinkered into thinking good soul was only recorded over 10 years) that cover all the eras since the inception of rhythm 'n' blues. Plus todays cheaper records will become tomorrows big ticket items..........just look at the history of collecting rare soul records....still happening today. (This statement has been said to me by many of the top drawer rare soul dealers in the World...)

Frank Robinson -

For many years Frank has been giving just such advice for free to anyone who would listen.

Following Franks approach to Finding your lost soul !

Frank will improve anyones collection on a ratio of quality versus ££ssssoul dilemmas. :shades:

Frank only serves to re-affirm Bretts sensible addvice :thumbsup: Ego &Soul

https://www.findingyoursoul.com/video_clips.htm

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

On the off chance - a mate was telling me that Beatin Rhythm in Manchester were doing soul packs last year ??? Not even sure anyone does soul packs anymore do they? Might be worth a shout if your looking for a bit of bulk , so to speak.

ATB

Rich

Social source share

me and bri only buy on the net as we cant afford dealer prices

£500 for delegates of soul etc :thumbsup:

dave pinches

Quite interesting that, I don't buy off dealers anymore either, occasionally off Craig Moerer, otherwise nearly all the stuff I buy comes off eBay and hardly ever for silly money.

I wonder if this t'interweb thing is affecting dealers sales?

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!