Floor Fillers/floor Clearers

FILLERS; *-terrible(imo) non *-excellent(imo) ***-brilliant(imo) CROSS SECTION OF DJ ESSENTIALS

Gayle Adams, Futures, Bettye Swann, Hank Jacobs, Bobby Day, Trends, Peoples Choice, Joey Delorenzo*, Larry Trider*, Seven Souls, Tony Galla, Drizabone, Charles Sheffield, John Leach, Kurt Harris, Nabay, Al Williams,Oxford Nights*

CLEARERS;

The Antellects, Dean Barlow*, Soul Set, Patrinelle Staton, Karmello Brooks***,

The Utopias, The Appointments, Clara Hardy, Chuck Cockerham***

FINGERS ON BUTTONS...VOTE NOW.

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Think i understand thread, all i'll say is that Pat Staten and Chuck Cockerham are without doubt two of the greatest songs i have ever heard (got a list other week from Rod Dearlove selling Chuck C for £1500..........i was tempted to offer the use of both my legs for that particular tune!)

Guest andrew bin

(got a list other week from Rod Dearlove selling Chuck C for £1500..........i was tempted to offer the use of both my legs for that particular tune!)

link

Might Know a guy who will give you a good price for a Lung or a Kidney

..............Andrew

Think i understand thread, all i'll say is that Pat Staten and Chuck Cockerham are without doubt two of the greatest songs i have ever heard (got a list other week from Rod Dearlove selling Chuck C for £1500..........i was tempted to offer the use of both my legs for that particular tune!)

link

Quite right Brett, Patrinelle and Chuck are both fabulous, but in reality clear the floor don't they?

Quite right Brett, Patrinelle and Chuck are both fabulous, but in reality clear the floor don't they?

link

Depends on where you play em, doesnt it?

Stick em on at Stoke and they'll clear the floor.... play em at the Wilton and they'll probably pack it....

Horses for Courses and all that.

WOOF!

Strange how people like differnt tunes.....

For me Gayle Adams, the Futures, larry Trider, Bobby day, are without a doubt the worse records played on the scene over the last 10 years. I find it even sadder that some top D.j's have started playing them in there spots. I recently walked out of a venue when one of the scenes top d.j's played Gayle Adams, and the Futures in his spot.

Essentials.....

Pat & the Blenders, Spiedels, Ann Heywood, Jo ann Garrett, Martha Starr, Sparkles, Delegates of soul, Four pro's.........

link

Well Kev, i like to think they don't , but then it has never bothered me to dance on a half empty floor, if you love the tune then it sort of just takes you where you belong.

For me Gayle Adams, the Futures, larry Trider, Bobby day, are without a doubt the worse records played on the scene over the last 10 years.  I find it even sadder that some top D.j's have started playing them in there spots.  I recently walked out of a venue when one of the scenes top d.j's played Gayle Adams, and the Futures in his spot.

Essentials.....

Pat & the Blenders, Spiedels, Ann Heywood, Jo ann Garrett, Martha Starr, Sparkles, Delegates of soul, Four pro's.........

link

Hi John mate, i see your point, and on a personal level whole heartedly agree, but i must say i have always thought every punter pays his/her dollar at the door and as such if they wanna dance to ie "Gayle Adams" then so be it? (i'll still curse like hell though mate :) ).....

ps enjoy London, and "make sure"(The Dells ,Cadet...never stops does it John ha, ha :D ) you get to Valatone (bloody love that venue, old Johnny T always puts on a wonderful bash)

Brett,

You have hit the nail on the head....WHAT DANCER'S LIKE.

Nothing has changed since '74. I remember playing The Seven Souls at Wigan which cleared the floor, then following it with the Javells to pull it back.

We had to play 'Lord Thunder' which I personally disliked, but when you jock to big crowds you have no choice(or lose the gig).

Slightly different today, as there are more nights with wider variety. The nostalgia end though sadly want a playlist of around 200 tracks.

Feel good factor is key when selecting 'your plays' hence The Vel-Vets-I Got To Find Me A Somebody is still doing it.

And while promoters like me come undr fire from seasoned collectors, I can honestly hold my head up and say...RARE AND OBSCURE DON'T WORK'.

A classic tale(and I only wish I had filmed it) took place at our East Mids monthly affair at the Royal Regency, Ilkeston.

4 bleedin' rooms(how's that for choice!) with the Connoisseurs room 'luke warm' at best. And I have NAMES in their with great collections.

Me old mate Kingy is cranking out 'Surprise Party For Baby' with the floor rammed in Room number 2. Now you know why I am little too long in the tooth to be railroaded by collectorville. Dancers(and lots of them) are the only law I adhere too. What my DJ's play and what I like though are 2 different things.

Remember I'm the guy who discovered the brilliant 'Keni Lewis' on Buddah in '74-how many times have I played it at a gig...........ZERO.

Apologies for the long winded reply.

Kev

Brett,

Nothing has changed since '74. I remember playing The Seven Souls at Wigan which cleared the floor, then following it with the Javells to pull it back.

We had to play 'Lord Thunder' which I personally disliked, but when you jock to big crowds you have no choice(or lose the gig).

Slightly different today, as there are more nights with wider variety. The nostalgia end though sadly want a playlist of around 200 tracks.

Feel good factor is key when selecting 'your plays' hence The Vel-Vets-I Got To Find Me A Somebody is still doing it.

And while promoters like me come undr fire from seasoned collectors, I can honestly hold my head up and say...RARE AND OBSCURE DON'T WORK'.

A classic tale(and I only wish I had filmed it) took place at our East Mids monthly affair at the Royal Regency, Ilkeston.

4 bleedin' rooms(how's that for choice!) with the Connoisseurs room 'luke warm' at best. And I have NAMES in their with great collections.

Me old mate Kingy is cranking out 'Surprise Party For Baby' with the floor rammed in Room number 2. Now you know why I am little too long in the tooth to be railroaded by collectorville. Dancers(and lots of them) are the only law I adhere too. What my DJ's play and what I like though are 2 different things.

Remember I'm the guy who discovered the brilliant 'Keni Lewis' on Buddah in '74-how many times have I played it at a gig...........ZERO.

Kev

link

Kev, i see your viewpoint, and to a degree understand your stance, but once again, taste in music is so subjective, i personally like to hear the "Unheard" and (Semi) Unknown, i feel that the venues that adhere to this policy, will always be my choice of evening, though that is not to say i do not attend events that cater to a "Nostaglic" crowd ( i hate that term, because i don't think it's about looking back , (think thats an oxymoron, when it comes to mainly 60's/70's soul :) ), but hope people get my meaning) and i truly believe that the whole soul scene should be totaly built on individuals enjoyment of an evening/weekend, perhaps thats a little too simplistic, but i feel the majority of people i know and meet agree with that sentiment.

Brett,

Kev

link

...but surely the foundations of this scene, from past to present, are built on the Rare and the Obscure.

The dancers will always pick the cream of the crop, whatever the genre of music, and whatever the individual opinion, and then a collectors record becomes a dancefloor packer...and eventually an overplayed tune.

Wade Flemons 'Jeanette' must be a prime example of this...though there are hundreds that fit the bill - hated by the majority many moons ago - suddenly became a floorpacker, and now to those that pursue new sounds, an overplayed tune.

Love it or hate it - it packs the floor at large capacity venues, and if DJs hadn't started playing it to sparse dancefloors in the first place it would never have had it's moment.

Oldies nights will always pack 'em in...no doubt, but the scene needs the Rare Soul nights to discover what new sounds get the best dancefloor reaction...and a luke warm reaction today could turn out to be a monster tune next year.

Mace

Guest ShaneH

For me Gayle Adams, the Futures, larry Trider, Bobby day, are without a doubt the worse records played on the scene over the last 10 years.  I find it even sadder that some top D.j's have started playing them in there spots.  I recently walked out of a venue when one of the scenes top d.j's played Gayle Adams, and the Futures in his spot.

Essentials.....

link

great 45s John! I love Ann Heywood.

Shane

FLOORPACKERS 1974 GARY LEWIS, KEITH, THE JAVELLS, SHARONETTES, TD VALENTINE, DEREK AND RAY

FLOORCLEARERS 2004 ALL OF THE ABOVE

FLOORCLEARERS 1974 WADE FLEMMONS, SEVEN SOULS, TANGEERS, THE RINGLEADERS, JOSEPH MOORE, THE DYNELLS.

FLOORPACKERS 2004 ALL OF THE ABOVE

I think there are a lot of folk on soul-source who don't go for the pack em in and keep em dancing gigs..Its a different story for a rare soul punter and a promoter who will always judge a dj on dancefloor reaction and only think the night a good one if he is making a big profit..We have lots of different creatures on this scene and a lot of folk will never think the same..if you are in the game for money alone then i think you miss out on what made this scene a way of life for me and others..The crowds returning in big numbers will not last forever,what then for some promoters,will they still be in the scene or away to find profit elsewhere...I don't mind a person making money on this scene of ours but i and others do care about how they go about it..Lots of honest good guys selling records,playing tunes and putting on gigs and then the others..We can all self promote but when its every other word then i think its time to leave this site to true rare soul fans,people who see you as people and not just another ten quid through the door...

I think there are a lot of folk on soul-source who don't go for the pack em in and keep em dancing gigs..Its a different story for a rare soul punter and a promoter who will always judge a dj on dancefloor reaction and only think the night a good one if he is making a big profit..We have lots of different creatures on this scene and a lot of folk will never think the same..if you are in the game for money alone then i think you miss out on what made this scene a way of life for me and others..The crowds returning in big numbers will not last forever,what then for some promoters,will they still be in the scene or away to find profit elsewhere...I don't mind a person making money on this scene of ours but i and others do care about how they go about it..Lots of honest good guys selling records,playing tunes and putting on gigs and then the others..We can all self promote but when its every other word then i think its time to leave this site to true rare soul fans,people who see you as people and not just another ten quid through the door...

link

Stevie,

From standing in the queue outside the Torch in '72 and taking part in several discussions(see other threads to do with collecting for instance) I can't apologise for promoting my own gigs and helping to keep the scene popular. Others are doing it too.

I care just as much as you do. Trust me! The only difference is-I am business with it.

And not forgetting Ady C, Chris at New Century, Mick Smith, John Manship, Tim Brown,Richard Domar and quite a few more. All full time making money in their chosen 'Northern Soul' field.

Regards,

Kev

Regards,

Kev

[Quite right Brett, Patrinelle and Chuck are both fabulous, but in reality clear the floor don't they?]

Arthur Fenn played Little Love Affair at the Dome last month and the floor was busy. And the same when he played it last year as well. Not heard Chuck Cockerham played out so can't say.

It may depend on the DJ's record collection. If they haven't got the "current favourites" you don't hear them. and also how often the dancers have heard them. There is no doubt you do get a bit fed up with some tracks after a while.

Never heard the Futures played at any London club I've been to, not that I am worried by not hearing it. Don't think it would fit in at the places I go to, not saying it is a bad record because I personally think it is okay.

I have to agree with John about Gayle Adams. Even though the dancefloor was packed, hearing it 6 times at the Whitby Weekender almost had me in tears!

IMO hearing a tune that many times especially at one event really detracts from the magic feeling you get when a song you love but haven't heard in a while, is played.

Empty dancefloors do have their blessings though, particularly when my favourite tunes are being played. There's nothing worse than trying to dance in the same 1m squared with 6 other people.