Mixed Emotions - Gold Of My Life

• Replies 21
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

On the subject, all three records listed by the guy selling the Mixed Emotions represses currently on ebay are recent pressings. People ought to be aware of that. Bizzarely, the guy tried to tell me the East Oakland was never originally released, even though a mate clearly has a vintage copy, pressed around 30 years ago.

The old 'never officially released' line came out again, as blurry as before (the thread should still be on here from last year and earlier?)

The 'Am I Imposing' wasn't apparently initially released, though the first pressing of that (done around 2 years back) sounds like it was taken off a 200th generation c90....not saying this one does, just best of asking the question beforehand. The seller can be found here https://stores.ebay.com/Richtown-Records

They don't mention that they're recent pressings but folk should be aware of it before deciding if they want to part with $50, $75 or $100 for what is essentially a new piece of vinyl. Only seems fair to point it out.

Social source share

On the subject, all three records listed by the guy selling the Mixed Emotions represses currently on ebay are recent pressings. People ought to be aware of that. Bizzarely, the guy tried to tell me the East Oakland was never originally released, even though a mate clearly has a vintage copy, pressed around 30 years ago.

The old 'never officially released' line came out again, as blurry as before (the thread should still be on here from last year and earlier?)

The 'Am I Imposing' wasn't apparently initially released, though the first pressing of that (done around 2 years back) sounds like it was taken off a 200th generation c90....not saying this one does, just best of asking the question beforehand. The seller can be found here https://stores.ebay.com/Richtown-Records

They don't mention that they're recent pressings but folk should be aware of it before deciding if they want to part with $50, $75 or $100 for what is essentially a new piece of vinyl. Only seems fair to point it out.

Hi Jason,

The "Am I Imposing" 45's on sale now are the good sounding ones, and boy does it sound good! Brilliant clarity and a fantastic tune. Best dancer of the year. It only existed on a reel to reel recording and as you said it was never actually released or promo'd unlike "Gold of my Life". So it is an original and I'm gonna play it out. :thumbsup:

Jordi

Social source share

Hi Jason,

The "Am I Imposing" 45's on sale now are the good sounding ones, and boy does it sound good! Brilliant clarity and a fantastic tune. Best dancer of the year. It only existed on a reel to reel recording and as you said it was never actually released or promo'd unlike "Gold of my Life". So it is an original and I'm gonna play it out. :thumbsup:

Jordi

Good stuff. They did actually issue Am I Imposing about 2 years back - same track on both sides - but it sounded absolutely terrible, which is why I made that comment. Glad they sorted it because under all the muck of the first pressing was as you say, a killer dancer. I still think it's a bit cheeky asking $50 for a new pressing, but that's the way they want to do stuff I guess, and if folk are happy paying it, fair do's.

Social source share

Good stuff. They did actually issue Am I Imposing about 2 years back - same track on both sides - but it sounded absolutely terrible, which is why I made that comment.

Yes I had that, awful production. This one is the dog's though and you can hear everything going on in crystal clarity as if it were recorded yesterday.

Jordi

Social source share

Recent press,the 70s press does not have the Arranger F G credit on under the bands name.

Dave f...............

How recent? - I've had one of these for about 11/12 years now, and it DOES have the Fred Cagaanan credit under the Mixed Emotions at the bottom. Does this mean its a reiss etc? - if it is, it's not recent - the record was not brand new then (1994/5). about a Vg++ minute marks etc.

Here's a picture - I bought this from Soul Sam I think, or maybe Tim Ashibende.

post-4623-1144322138_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Can someone tell me if this is the original?? or a look a like copy?? thanks in advance!!

Ana

Great record ...THIS IS CROSSOVER of the highest order

Social source share

How recent? - I've had one of these for about 11/12 years now, and it DOES have the Fred Cagaanan credit under the Mixed Emotions at the bottom. Does this mean its a reiss etc? - if it is, it's not recent - the record was not brand new then (1994/5). about a Vg++ minute marks etc.

Here's a picture - I bought this from Soul Sam I think, or maybe Tim Ashibende.

post-4623-1144322138_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mick

Mick, the ones that were available in the 70's did not have the arrangers credit below the bands name.

Not sure exactly when the ones like your scan appeared, but there were several threads in the past, on this forum about this, and what fun they were :thumbsup:

Martyn

Social source share

...arf! So many possible answers to that one eusa_shifty.gif

If you get chance to post a clip up Jordi I'd appreciate it...I gave my (old) copy away 18 months back and I've not heard it since :yes:

I can't do soundclips Jason, I'm not clever enough. :thumbsup: but the production on the song is wonderful. The drums, brass, percussion and guitar sound wicked and the vocals are full up and clear in the mix. I couldn't believe the difference between this remastered version and the first version.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Mick, the ones that were available in the 70's did not have the arrangers credit below the bands name.

Not sure exactly when the ones like your scan appeared, but there were several threads in the past, on this forum about this, and what fun they were :yes:

Martyn

Just my 10 cents worth, just because the arranger name isn't under one particular copy doesn't mean the white label one above with the arranger's name underneath isn't an original. I have quite a few records which have different info on label, just pressed in different parts of the US, or could even be a 2nd batch of the original press and I mean actual 70's not later. :yes::thumbsup: you see this quite often.
Social source share

Just my 10 cents worth, just because the arranger name isn't under one particular copy doesn't mean the white label one above with the arranger's name underneath isn't an original. I have quite a few records which have different info on label, just pressed in different parts of the US, or could even be a 2nd batch of the original press and I mean actual 70's not later. :yes::thumbsup: you see this quite often.

You may be correct, but the authenticity of this particular record has been covered many times on here, worth a read, in particular the ones where Mr Cole himself contributes.

Here is a link to a previous thread on this subject, which contains links to even earlier threads discussing this very question.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...=Mixed+Emotions

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

You may be correct, but the authenticity of this particular record has been covered many times on here, worth a read, in particular the ones where Mr Cole himself contributes.

Here is a link to a previous thread on this subject, which contains links to even earlier threads discussing this very question.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...=Mixed+Emotions

Martyn

Having read some of the previous posts I would have to go with the guy who actually pressed the record I'm afraid. I have posted his response below I don't know how anyone can actually argue against the guy, unless you were there at the time, and we weren't. I think we guys tend to think we know everything about an ORIGINAL release, when if fact we don't.

Please forward this message to the guy name Trouble, because

he seems to be having trouble with the information regardng a bootleg

record I am suppose to be distributing or selling on Ebay. Please

inform him that I am willing to send him a copy of the first 45 rpm of

the Mixed Emotions Record "Gold of my life" for him to compaire with the

European boots that he may have or any of his frends may have, Their

are violines on the original first copies pressed in 1975, I made more

than one pressing of the records in 1975, the pirators were distributing

the second pressings in Europe, no one have ever heard to my knowledge

the first pressings. The First Pressings in fact does have the

(Arrangers name on the label) and it also has strings on the record. If

any DJ in the UK want to settle the question of me bootlegging my

records or if this in fact is a different recording, have them to send

me the postage so that they will not be feeding false information the

their viewers.

Once again I never authorized any of the Mixed Emotions recordings tobe

sold to the General public, that is why all of the recordngs from 1975

until this day are BOOTLEGS, if they want the real deal check out Ebay.

Regards

Elijah Cole

Sicmu music bm

Social source share

Having read some of the previous posts I would have to go with the guy who actually pressed the record I'm afraid. I have posted his response below I don't know how anyone can actually argue against the guy, unless you were there at the time, and we weren't. I think we guys tend to think we know everything about an ORIGINAL release, when if fact we don't.

Please forward this message to the guy name Trouble, because

he seems to be having trouble with the information regardng a bootleg

record I am suppose to be distributing or selling on Ebay. Please

inform him that I am willing to send him a copy of the first 45 rpm of

the Mixed Emotions Record "Gold of my life" for him to compaire with the

European boots that he may have or any of his frends may have, Their

are violines on the original first copies pressed in 1975, I made more

than one pressing of the records in 1975, the pirators were distributing

the second pressings in Europe, no one have ever heard to my knowledge

the first pressings. The First Pressings in fact does have the

(Arrangers name on the label) and it also has strings on the record. If

any DJ in the UK want to settle the question of me bootlegging my

records or if this in fact is a different recording, have them to send

me the postage so that they will not be feeding false information the

their viewers.

Once again I never authorized any of the Mixed Emotions recordings tobe

sold to the General public, that is why all of the recordngs from 1975

until this day are BOOTLEGS, if they want the real deal check out Ebay.

Regards

Elijah Cole

Sicmu music bm

The 300 copies you originally had pressed to give to your family are they all still in possesion of them ? If not. Its possible that some are here with collectors. So there could be real copies in the UK :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

Guest jinx74

thats what i have with the arrangers name on it. i know my copy is original because i got it from the studio engineer who worked on this. im still slightly confused as to why there is a press w/o Freds name on it and EC is too damn crazy to get a straight answer from.

as much research ive done about EC like the groups he put out/has publishing rights for, i can say that most dudes in the bay that know him dont like him. so because he kept all the biz side secret most of the acts he worked with only knew what he told them. here in the bay area EC, dobard, and hoskins had the dough and wrote the contracts and kept all the money. well at least they owned a bunch of the publishing.

anyway... i figure theres been about 4/5 pressings at this point. two early ones and up to 3 late 90s-now.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

thats what i have with the arrangers name on it. i know my copy is original because i got it from the studio engineer who worked on this. im still slightly confused as to why there is a press w/o Freds name on it and EC is too damn crazy to get a straight answer from.

as much research ive done about EC like the groups he put out/has publishing rights for, i can say that most dudes in the bay that know him dont like him. so because he kept all the biz side secret most of the acts he worked with only knew what he told them. here in the bay area EC, dobard, and hoskins had the dough and wrote the contracts and kept all the money

Of course you may have an original. Family, business associates and friends are fully capable of passing on gifts.

Being a fixture in the Cole residence 1973 -1986 :lol: ..........I had the pleasure growing up listening to Mr. Cole's music and playing the board/ puzzle games he created :thumbsup: . I witnessed his hard work and determination. If someone signed a contract and didn't handle THEIR BUSINESS.......their fault. Mr. Cole is not crazy in the least bit. And MANY dudes in the bay LIKE him. I for one LOVE him and respect him.

Eve

Social source share

• 13 years later...

I am new to this site and was always fascinated with this/these records by Mixed Emotions

Last FM have an interesting write up, which I would love to here comments on please and it may or may not help explain a little

https://www.last.fm/music/Mixed+Emotions/+wiki

I believe this is the label discussed

https://www.discogs.com/label/18084-Soul-Patrol-Records

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!