Is This Modern Day Bootlegging?

Seen this on ebay, the seller seems to have a couple of similar items, and wondered what the point of it all was? Why press half a dozen copies? Who wants a rare pressing?

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-THE-VOLU...1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller is being quite honest though, in that he describes them correctly, I just can't see the point and wondered what anyone else felt?

Apologies if anyone is offended by this post shades.gif

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Seen this on ebay, the seller seems to have a couple of similar items, and wondered what the point of it all was? Why press half a dozen copies? Who wants a rare pressing?

The seller is being quite honest though, in that he describes them correctly, I just can't see the point and wondered what anyone else felt?

He is taking the piss as its same on both sides

Social source share

Mmmm Vinyl carvers would be @ £20 for both sides and then hes got the label scan to do. and he has it on at £25?

Should be interesting to see how this ends up

How many has he had done? 5? Hes certainly up front about it.

Strange one.

Ps hes also got his original P+P to add on?

Unless of course he works there?

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

How is he being honest by saying "YOU ARE BIDDING ON A RARE PROMO PRESSING OF THIS RECORD".

That would imply that the 5 copies had been made specially to promote something.

If he was being honest he'd have said "You are bidding on a vinyl carvers* dub of two tracks by the Volumes with label scans that were taken from (more likely) a scan of a promotional copy"

The label pictured also looks as if it was lifted off this one https://labelscans.anorakrecords.de/scans/V...dFeeling_WD.jpg

...so it's also being sold under false pretenses in a way, unless the photo he's used is a scan of the item the customer will receive. If it is a VC dub, the labels are more often than not a lot smaller than typical US labels, which means what you think you might get, you possibly won't.

Just some guy bootlegging under a different name, really. On a small scale but it amounts to the same thing.

It's not really hard to see what's going on and it is a piss take really.

*assuming it was done there

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

How is he being honest by saying "YOU ARE BIDDING ON A RARE PROMO PRESSING OF THIS RECORD".

That would imply that the 5 copies had been made specially to promote something.

If he was being honest he'd have said "You are bidding on a vinyl carvers* dub of two tracks by the Volumes with label scans that were taken from (more likely) a scan of a promotional copy"

The label pictured also looks as if it was lifted off this one https://labelscans.anorakrecords.de/scans/V...dFeeling_WD.jpg

...so it's also being sold under false pretenses in a way, unless the photo he's used is a scan of the item the customer will receive. If it is a VC dub, the labels are more often than not a lot smaller than typical US labels, which means what you think you might get, you possibly won't.

Just some guy bootlegging under a different name, really. On a small scale but it amounts to the same thing.

It's not really hard to see what's going on and it is a piss take really.

*assuming it was done there

Yeah, I suppose "honest" was a poor choice of word, what I meant was he has actally said that it is a pressing he's had done and then states at the end that it is not an original.

My point was that I couldn't understand why he was doing it. Will people pay 25 plus for what is essentially a boot? I suppose if he's using someone else's scan then maybe he hasn't actually had them cut yet?

Who knows, the world is a strange place. I'm off to clean my beer lines.

Cheers

Paul shades.gif

Social source share

Apologies if anyone is offended by this post biggrin.gif

I've seen a couple of people doing this on Ebay recently. They seem to be implying that because they have (supposedly) been done in small numbers, are good copies and they have been upfront that they are boots that this somehow makes it alright. They may have been open about the fact that they are boots but how long will it be before they are sold on and some unsuspecting person buys them at a high price?

These guys are in it solely for the money and they are no better than the people who seem to be booting anything in sight. There seems to be an ever increasing number of people willing to go to any lengths to make money from the scene and it makes me sick. Some of these people are well known names on the scene and they are bleeding it dry. shades.gif

Sorry about the rant but I feel dtrongly about this!!

Social source share

If he's advertising it as a PROMO, which would indicate an Inferno/Impact promo, and it's not an official promo from the label- then he's breaking the advertising law surely? It can't be a promo just because he decided to press it!

Pete,

There is no difference between this, and the auction item you had removed is there?

So why do eBay allow this one but not yours?

Martyn

Social source share

My point was that I couldn't understand why he was doing it. Will people pay 25 plus for what is essentially a boot? I suppose if he's using someone else's scan then maybe he hasn't actually had them cut yet?

Cheers

Paul :yes:

Some people will pay strange amounts for what is openly listed as a boot

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-DYNELLS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

£42 for a Dynells boot !! :lol:

Social source share

Pete,

There is no difference between this, and the auction item you had removed is there?

So why do eBay allow this one but not yours?

Martyn

Who knows ? Ebay / Paypal make money either way - they don't give a sod really - Theres tons of counterfeit / illegal items for sale all the time. I've emailed a few bidders in the past who are bidding on misleading items - dont want them shelling out for un original discs. However - if people are willing to pay daft prices on clear boots / pressings more fool them!! Supply & demand....

Yet , a Mel Britt re-issue /boot whatever they are sold the other night for I think £25 - Although there were several Buy It Nows for a tenner !! Dynells £40?? Loads on the net for a fiver or less - with the Vivian Reed flip - legal re-issue!!

If its well known folk supplying these well.... its always happened hasn't it? Will it ever end? probably not.

ATB

Rich

Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=4849385812

Note i didn't pay for this - I left the seller negative feedback.

But somone was willing to bid up to what it finally went for...

Check out other buyers of these Boots - I've spotted at least one site member who has played these out.

Well it worked mate, good for you - he's now putting the word REISSUE on the header

Social source share

you have probably read this if your on BT yahoo news? but worth a mention non the less.The article concerning ebay mainly goes on about Lagos/Nigerian frauds spoiling sellers auctions.

However one small paragraph appears in the buy safe beware mail sent out over ebay trading-

Ebay fights back

It's been interesting recently to see vigilante members with usernames like 'die_you_scammer!' and 'don't-bid-its-fake working together to push the highest bid on counterfeit auctions much higher than the advertised item's retail value in an (often successful) attempt to stop inexperienced users getting taken for a ride - providing, of course, that such users note the name of the seller before accepting the offer.

Probably due in no small part to SS members kindly interventions?

Social source share

Apologies if anyone is offended by this post :wicked:

Not a lot happening at work so just scouring eBay and wondered if this is where these people get their blank labels :lol: ....

>BLANK LABELS<

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert