Scottish Soul Scene

Tubbs

Just been to the soul scotland website and can't believe what i'm seeing. Sems like there is a new soul nite starting up every week. Over the last couple of months there's been another one started in Aberdeen making 2 another in Dundee making 2 and god knows how many in Edinburgh i've lost coubnt making 365 one for each day of the fucking year. When you take into account there's more people living in London than the whole of Scotland it's unbelievable. I'm all for choice but f*** me 3 soul nights in one night and an alldayer the next day in November. Quality not fucking quantity we need. went to a soul night not long ago and the order of play was bootleg, reissue, pressing 2nd issue white label acetate what the f*** is all that about. They introduced a competition that night spot the FUCKING ORIGINAL.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Tubbs. London had a similar scenario a couple of years ago. I went to 33 clubs one month. Visited 5, yes 5 one Friday night. Off the top of my head, they were, Pleasure unit, a mod/soul night at the Phoenix, Smersh and Scenesville at the Kings X venue. Cant remember the other night right now. This was after going to three the night before, These Old Shoes, Sliced Tomatoes and Soul in the City, at the Old Blue Last. (think that was the only time SITC and TOS clashed)

Fortunately now, there has been lots of cooperation by the clubs involved and it is much more sensible. Inevitably some clubs will have to close despite the soul scene experiencing its decadely increase in interest. Because we only have so much disposable income, and attendances will eventually suffer.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Mm indeed, I'm wondering how I'm going to survive November! Could do Nektar 25th, Gennas 26th, Caley Soul or Carlton Lounge Aberdeen 27th, Macmerry 28th. It does seem a bit over the top for a small country, especially when things clash (I believe there were actually 3 do's on the same night in Dundee recently). Then again, not every night is going to suit everyone so at least we have plenty to choose from. In the end, they will only last if there is the demand for them.

Edited to add - I agree over the quality issue (that we need it, I wouldn't like to see the same argument starting again that cropped up on the Weekender thread), but there is also the variety issue - quite a few nights have the same DJs playing the same stuff - maybe if they were all offering something different it would seem like there was 'space' for them all.

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Mm indeed, I'm wondering how I'm going to survive November! Could do Nektar 25th, Gennas 26th, Caley Soul or Carlton Lounge Aberdeen 27th, Macmerry 28th. It does seem a bit over the top for a small country, especially when things clash (I believe there were actually 3 do's on the same night in Dundee recently). Then again, not every night is going to suit everyone so at least we have plenty to choose from. In the end, they will only last if there is the demand for them.

Edited to add - I agree over the quality issue (that we need it, I wouldn't like to see the same argument starting again that cropped up on the Weekender thread), but there is also the variety issue - quite a few nights have the same DJs playing the same stuff - maybe if they were all offering something different it would seem like there was 'space' for them all.

link

well I'll have to strongly recommend Caley soul on the 27th, especially as I'm popping up to DJ wink.gif:thumbup:

Martin

www.soulitc.co.uk

Social source share

Hey folks, it's just too easy to run a soul night these days! Getting venues and enough reasonable sounds together for a whole night's entertainment used to be the biggest problem. Now there are loads of possible clubs and pubs available who don't look at you like you're crazy when you tell them what you want their dancefloor for, and (yes, it's sad but true) loads of re-issues, boots and even CDs making up some lists. As far as I can see the whole thing is a mixture of old soulies and their mates getting back into DJing, newer folk wanting to have a shot and the usual lot who've always been around, well, still being around. But, yeh there must be more Northern soul nights now in Scotland than since the late 70s. :thumbup:

Social source share

True,

Have been waiting on this happening over the past year, don't know why some of them have to be on the same night as an established night.

It's a bit sh#tty. It may look like more choice but when everybody and their auntie is throwing on anything, it blurs the vision.

This was due to happen sooner or later, the choons are easily available to one and all in the throwaway format (cd), seemingly the nightclub in the town has picked up on some modern choons and frequently play them in their set. I could understand playing a 12" but these guys are d/loading from share programs and play them from a cd made in the bedroom, thats not DJing.

No effort in finding the choons just wait on the computer to pour the sound out and you're the next Fatboy, bloclocks!!!

H.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Tracie my partner and trusty side kick promote a soul night in Abergavenny South Wales, so far we have had three (all fairly successful, due in part to the hard work we put in) ,

anyway, on our second night a guy came up to me and said

"i'am planning a soul night"

Oh yeah, where i asked

"here" the twat replied (he said "i've been thinking of having a soul night here for twenty years")

but instead he waited until some one else has put all the leg work in then jumped on the bandwagon

he did run a soul night with a band and joe bloggs the DJ (although the DJ has got some good stuff and a nice bloke)

He got about 15 people in , the sound system broke down, and he had to pay the band £1000 (a huge success, i don't think)

Haven't seen the the guy since (think he's crawled back under his rock)

(i would wish any promoter good luck with thierventure, but some do take the piss)

.........Andrew

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Andrew,

Let me know when your next one is on, I have just moved to Newport. Have some good frinds in Abergavenny,from the days I used to work and follow indie bands. Do you know, by chance Jez, Emma Newman or Emma Skelton??

Social source share

Hey folks, it's just too easy to run a soul night these days! Getting venues and enough reasonable sounds together for a whole night's entertainment used to be the biggest problem. Now there are loads of possible clubs and pubs available who don't look at you like you're crazy when you tell them what you want their dancefloor for, and (yes, it's sad but true) loads of re-issues, boots and even CDs making up some lists. As far as I can see the whole thing is a mixture of old soulies and their mates getting back into DJing, newer folk wanting to have a shot and the usual lot who've always been around, well, still being around. But, yeh there must be more Northern soul nights now in Scotland than since the late 70s. whistling.gif

link

dont think you can stop anyone starting a club, maybe some are a glorified party for mates to meet up, nobody outside them has to go. If the organisers/dj's have a real passion for the scene it usually enthuses across to the punters and will likely survive. organising a "rival" do on the same night is bang out of order, never understand why people do it and worse why people attend!

Danny D

Social source share

well I'll have to strongly recommend Caley soul on the 27th, especially as I'm popping up to DJ  whistling.gifwink.gif

Martin

www.soulitc.co.uk

link

nice one martin, thats a couple of sherry's we'll get you.

you should have a ball.

lenny.

Social source share

"you should have a ball "

i do hope your not putting the " crown jewels" on public display again mr h ? whistling.gif

link

publc property now master keddie, the paying public deserve to see whats going on down there, there part of northern soul history, like the nurons only bigger.

you were right about that vicky nelson , stamped ,styrene and still a boot.

Social source share

publc property now master keddie, the paying public deserve to see whats going on down there, there part of northern soul history, like the nurons only bigger.

you were right about that vicky nelson , stamped ,styrene and still a boot.

link

I estimate that about 40 folk shook hands with you that night Lenny so there will be a few folk about that aren't aware of how close they were to your plums.

Do I have to guess at what you were touching before you sold me that Timi Yuro, you said they were water stains, lol. whistling.gif

Haydn.

Social source share

I estimate that about 40 folk shook hands with you that night Lenny so there will be a few folk about that aren't aware of how close they were to your plums.

Do I have to guess at what you were touching before you sold me that Timi Yuro, you said they were water stains, lol. ph34r.gif

Haydn.

link

LENNY AM JUST GLAD I SAW YOU WHEN YOU FIRST CAME IN (before you exposed yourself), AND ARE YOU STILL TAKING RABBITS AND SQUIRELLS HOME WHEN YOUR PISSED,

ANYWAY AS I SAID TODAY ON FRANK MURPHYS SHOW, WANT YOU TO DJ IN EDINBURGH ON JAN 2nd AND I WAS FIRST WITH THAT DATE IF ANY ONE ELSE WAS PLANNING A NIGHT IN EDINBURGH,

BUT I DO AGREE WITH TUBBS ON ALL THIS TOPIC, I WAS MEANT TO ALSO HAVE MARCOS ON SEPTEMBER 18th, BUT BONNYRIGG HAD THERE`S BOOKED AND THEN BOMP AND STOMP, SO I CANCELED AS I AINT GETTING INVOLVED IN THE DATE FIGHTING, AND AS FOR DJs WELL LIKE BELMONT ABERDEEN , AND CALEY SOUL IN GLASGOW,(both which i have been to in the last 3 months and first time i have in ages sat and thought what is that thats good) SO LIKE THEM IWILL BE BINGING GUEST DJS FROM OVER THE BORDER, ALONG WITH GUEST DJS FROM THE SCOTTISH SOUL SCENE, AND NOT THE SAME DJs YOU SEEM TO SEE ON ALL THE TIME, and running a soul night aint all that easy, i know mind the bitches that have done nothing but turn up get stand and never dance, dont collect, never run a night in there life, but still like to bad mouth dont they *E*R*E,

Social source share

LENNY AM JUST GLAD I SAW YOU WHEN YOU FIRST CAME IN (before you exposed yourself), AND ARE YOU STILL TAKING RABBITS AND SQUIRELLS HOME WHEN YOUR PISSED,

ANYWAY AS I SAID TODAY ON FRANK MURPHYS SHOW, WANT YOU TO DJ IN EDINBURGH ON JAN 2nd AND I WAS FIRST WITH THAT DATE IF ANY ONE ELSE WAS PLANNING A NIGHT IN EDINBURGH,

BUT I DO AGREE WITH TUBBS ON ALL THIS TOPIC, I WAS MEANT TO ALSO HAVE MARCOS ON SEPTEMBER 18th, BUT BONNYRIGG HAD THERE`S BOOKED AND THEN BOMP AND STOMP, SO I CANCELED AS I AINT GETTING INVOLVED IN THE DATE FIGHTING, AND AS FOR DJs WELL LIKE BELMONT ABERDEEN , AND CALEY SOUL IN GLASGOW

thats a goer fir the 2nd my caravan wreckin'mate.

e-mail me for details, bus, nae wigan spot etc,,,i love it but nae mickie moonshine

Social source share

Do I have to guess at what you were touching before you sold me that Timi Yuro, you said they were water stains, lol. ph34r.gif

Haydn.

link

well some of it was water, cos i always wash ma james bonds

lennloo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!