Mike

• Replies 44
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mike,

I could be wrong here, but a mysterious cdr was sent to me a few weeks ago containing several 'other versions' of well known classics. Candi Staton's epic was one of them.

I know Canzetta well and she knows of no other version. The cdr doing the rounds basically contains speed ups/slow downs to sync up the vocal to appear 'alternate'.

Sam Fletcher and Frank Beverly are among them.

Kev

ps hopefully I am wrong and indeed there really is another version.

Social source share

Mike,

I could be wrong here, but a mysterious cdr was sent to me a few weeks ago containing several 'other versions' of well known classics. Candi Staton's epic was one of them.

I know Canzetta well and she knows of no other version. The cdr doing the rounds basically contains speed ups/slow downs to sync up the vocal to appear 'alternate'.

Kev

link

There definately is a male vocal to it, it's f****** terrible too :thumbup: Can't remember details but will try and find the notes over weekend.

I've got an alternate male vocal to Vivian Carroll Oh Yeah Yeah Yeah here.

Social source share

Sure-ish someone said heard it played at a venue recently, but it was a good weekend so may be mistaken

:thumbup:

On dodgy homemade versions , was told the trick is

though you can change the pitch of vocal and keep backing the same very easy with software

they're easy to spot cause the actual singing as in mannerisims/style/grunt/oohs etc are identitical ... apparently

Social source share

Dean Anderson definitely played the male vocal to "Upper hand" at the Stockholm weekender last May. Also heard the male vocal to "Oh yeah yeah yeah", not very good M-O-R pop sounding vocals.

Andy Rix played the alternate vocal to Sam Fletcher, very "white" sounding too.

Heikki

Social source share

It's a Dick Charles studio acetate sung by W.B. Willingham who co wrote "I'd think it over" Unfortunatley, it is recorded a little too fast and that's why it might sound a little pink around the gills!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

upper hand is one of my faves, just thought i would share the with you all LOL

link

Surprised you even know what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whistling.gif:thumbsup:whistling.gif

Social source share

Chalky, is it the Joe Pirolli version?

I've got an alternate male vocal to Vivian Carroll Oh Yeah Yeah Yeah here.

link

It's a Dick Charles studio acetate sung by W.B. Willingham who co wrote "I'd think it over" Unfortunatley, it is recorded a little too fast and that's why it might sound a little pink around the gills!

link

had forgotten all about that version, popular when played at the monkey, didnt sound that bad at all imo

sure (well 75% sure as usual ) that the yeah yeah yeah got an outing mmmmm... maybe laugh.gif

for the answer to the candi staton "upper hand" look at the writing credits pretty sure the version played by dean anderson is bob fowler ,hope that helps

Mick

link

thanks yet again Mick laugh.gif

other alts anyone???

sidra theme other vocal ... Something anthony ??

Social source share

had forgotten all about that version, popular when played at the monkey, didnt sound that bad at all imo

sure (well 75% sure as usual ) that the yeah yeah yeah got an outing mmmmm... maybe laugh.gif

thanks yet again Mick laugh.gif

other alts anyone???

Dee Dee Sharp - I'll do anything

Social source share

link

I'm pretty sure the male vocal to Oh Yeah Yeah Yeah is uncredited. I was given the disc and asked to try and clean it up (they didn't want to pay a professional wink.gifwhistling.gif ). jumps, hisses and clicks like you've never heard, sounded awful quality...think I succeeded in cleaning enough and removing the jumps so that it was good enough to play out. Just needed re-cutting last I heard.

link

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Awake 502

"Oh yeah yeah yeah" male vocal....

Oh it's f**king dreadful, there's also an instrumental knocking around as well... :thumbsup:

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I think they're both dreadful! :thumbsup::lol:

link

I think Greg Tormo has the full s.p. on this, there's also the regular Vivian Carol track with the same intro... hmmmm

Social source share

I think Greg Tormo has the full s.p. on this, there's also the regular Vivian Carol track with the same intro... hmmmm

link

The male vocal is even worse than the unnisued Viv Carrol version with alternate intro!

Some things should have been left in the can!

regards

Paul :thumbsup:

Social source share

The male vocal is even worse than the unnisued Viv Carrol version with alternate intro!

Some things should have been left in the can!

regards

Paul :thumbsup:

link

I've found the CD now with that Joe Pirolli version and it is bad!!

There are 3 takes of V.C. 27/10/65, 10/05/66 & the final released version from 28/09/66 (plus instrumental) I wonder what she did in the times between the takes?

The funny thing is that the final mix is a really bad recording and that is probably why it didn't get very far!

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Been told couple of times the details of the male version of Candi Staton's, but all info has been forced out by other trivia info

anyone refresh with details, background etc

Just to confirm, there definately is a male vocal to Now You've Got The ''Upper Hand'' It was a tester by the writer Bo Fowler, apparently to show the vocalist (to be?), how the record should be sung??. It has'nt been speeded up, slowed down or played backwards, if you listen carefully some of the lyrics are different, ie sung by a male to a female!!!. I've had the acetate about 15 years, my understanding this was a one off, but then again i've had several acetates that have had 3 or 4 takes /cuts. Hope this helps Dean. PS. It is the better version!!!(But i would say that)!!
Social source share

Slight correction, the male version of Upper Hand is supposed to be Bo Fowler not Bob.

Agree that's who it is. Presumably a demo cut to show Candi how to sing it. Got to say it's awful, and whereas Candi is a classic Bo Fowlers version is best left firmly in the can.

Social source share

whats the story with the rockin with soul track , was offered an acetate with this on a while back for £50 ish but turned it down as i thought that it was instrumental only or was a vinyl carvers type thing

As Chalky states, cut just a few year ago - don't understand his Hong Kong comment though, unless it's like the 'made in Taiwan' label... immitation/fake/cheap alternative ? A bit more input on this would be appreciated please Chalky.. :thumbup:

Social source share

Hello

Great song but the male version is probably a songwriter's demo by Robert "Bo" Fowler, recorded either in Birmingham, AL. or in Valparaiso, FL.

We control the publishing rights to "Now You've Got The Upper Hand" through our catalogue deal with Southern Americana / Chu-Fin Music so I'll try to find out more about it.

Paul Mooney

ww.millbrand.com

Social source share

I've found the CD now with that Joe Pirolli version and it is bad!!

I remember this when it used to be in the old sounds gallery.

Vocal is very white and off the mark, but I like it in a cheesy mod sort of way. Any chance you could mail me the full clip mate? :thumbup:

If you've not binned the cd that is ...

Social source share

As Chalky states, cut just a few year ago - don't understand his Hong Kong comment though, unless it's like the 'made in Taiwan' label... immitation/fake/cheap alternative ? A bit more input on this would be appreciated please Chalky.. :thumbup:

Dave Burton responsible for them and he was( Still is ?) living in Hong Kong at the time, done in his flat by all acounts??? You can hear the mobilke phone go off in one of the tracks.

Social source share

Hello

Great song but the male version is probably a songwriter's demo by Robert "Bo" Fowler, recorded either in Birmingham, AL. or in Valparaiso, FL.

We control the publishing rights to "Now You've Got The Upper Hand" through our catalogue deal with Southern Americana / Chu-Fin Music so I'll try to find out more about it.

Paul Mooney

ww.millbrand.com

Dean Anderson as far as I know has the only one, a studio acetate. He has studio acetates to Upper Hand and Oh Yeah Yeah Yeah. Be interesting to find out if on tape?

Social source share

Stick by Me sounds very new, is it another Ian Levine record ?? (e.g. like the Four Vandals)

It was recorded during the time of the Mecca reunion, was it 3 or 4 years ago now? by the incarnation of the Carstairs that performed there, who apparently included members of The Salvadors ...... good version I think

Social source share

Mike,

Kev

thought you were barred from here matey

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!