The Legendary Disc Arrives In The Uk

Guest BIGBOY

Guest BIGBOY

am i wrong and i mean no offence (unusually for me ) but surely they are just different takes on records that are played to death oldies anyway ...no?

sorry mate "I'm In Love" is an unknown track whistling.gif

correct.

unfashionable. dated. cheesy.out of place. uninspiring.

the only positive is that we now have another version of a quirky oldie.

just like that 'faith and understanding' thing that gets played.

i am sure it will work wonders with the oldies crowd though.

Shane

Shane define quirky??????????

correct.

Shane

No even better half the stuff that you lot bleat about as newies have all either been aired or played on the scene years ago, so there all fucking oldies mate...................

Social source share

• Replies 121
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

correct.

Shane

Shane , before you were born ....and I know thats not a prerequisit, knew about this /oldies /do you know about......... NOT getting at you but the info on the LP ..........IS old hat.Then again what do I know I think the rarest LP is by Lou Johnson.........

ATB Stevie z

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i was only actually commenting on the others but thanks for picking me up on that Joe

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Shane define quirky??????????

No even better half the stuff that you lot bleat about as newies have all either been aired or played on the scene years ago, so there all fucking oldies mate...................

good oldies and bad oldies. some date quicker than others. some attach themselves to another era with much more ease than others.

this one should be forgotten about if we are talking about taking things forward, keeping it exciting and cool.

only my opinons.

and stevie z, much as i hate to say this......you have lost me again

Shane

Social source share

Mmmm strange thread this ive know of a copy very near sunny barnsley that was picked up for peanuts 18 months ago, no cover but bonefide brunswick label...i thought the cover had been lost so thats an education for me that there arnt any.

when i first started reading the thread i was actually unaware of its supposed rarity and wondered what the fuss was all about, but then its not the first copy ive seen over the years either so when you come across a couple without even looking for it ...is it that rare???...im asking a question here not trying to belittle anyone.

how many do we know were pressed?

on another note not long ago a person asked me if i could pick a tune that was the epitome of Northern soul what would it be.........1.2.3 len barry i replied..one of the finest recordings ever its got everything a record should be...i still get goose bumps when it gets aired

Geeoooordie

Social source share

Guest BIGBOY

correct.

Shane

One last point from me.............

TODAY WOULDN'T EXIST WITHOUT YESTERDAY

YESTERDAY IS HISTORY - YOUR HISTORY - OUR HISTORY

KNOWLEDGE OF YESTERDAY IS KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY

TODAY EXISTS BECAUSE OF YESTERDAYS HISTORY

WERE YOU AROUND YESTERDAY? whistling.gif

Social source share

Does that really matter :lol:

out dated pap of a record IMO :lol:

Social source share

Every single one! :lol:whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

:lol::lol:

my weakness should not be your strength. :lol:

its still old fashioned john whether you agree or not.

Shane

Social source share

good oldies and bad oldies. some date quicker than others. some attach themselves to another era with much more ease than others.

this one should be forgotten about if we are talking about taking things forward, keeping it exciting and cool.

only my opinons.

and stevie z, much as i hate to say this......you have lost me again

Shane

Hi Shane known about what is discussed on this thread many years ago.. like to move things forward...although cannot deny others that only recently know about things ...that happened many many years ago Been there etc Edited by steve z
Social source share

But what about your Autumn of Tomorrow? :lol:

(Sorry... couldn't resist :lol: )

Social source share

This just gets dafter now we are talking about cabaret.............

Cabaret it certainly isn't, so its going to get played again................ whistling.gif

I'm not saying that it is carbaret. It obviously isn't. But there are certain features that push it in that direction and make me at leat not too keen on paying it attention. Len Barry's 123 has been mentioned more than once on this thread. Unlike 123, 'I'll always need you ' doesn't quite make it into the file under soul category in my book.Could have been sung my Cliff Richard quite easily.

Social source share

I'm surprised someone said Lov Lov Love wasn't played at the Wheel. It was played in Northants when the Wheel was going so was possibly played there first. It was incredibly common in 1969 as it was the flip of the follow up to a number one hit so there were oads of copies. In those days most people played both sides of a record so hundreds of people would have known it, i don't think anyone would claim to be the first. It's Bobby Hebb for me, though I love most of Len's stuff. i don't really go for either version of I'll Always Need You, too poppy like Moses Smith!

Social source share

Love Love Love has been issued at least twice in the UK. Once as the B side to a Satisfied Mind and then in 72 to cash in on the burgeoning northern scene. Sunny was the B side to this.

Incidentally, love Goldmine or hate em, both Len Barry tracks and the amazing version of WYSLMT by Bunny Sigler are on the recent CD, The Northern Soul of Philadelphia. The sound quality is brilliant unusually for Goldmine, and the tracks featured are nothing short of inspired. Possibly the best ever Goldmine compilation.

Good sleeve notes by Tim Brown as well.

The Bunny Sigler, if played, must surely become a monster.

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Heard the Len Barry trax in question for the first time over the weekend thru JM's mailshot. Was eagerly hoping for something magical, especially the Love love love but alas found that Len's vocals were IMHO strained in comparison to Bobby Hebbs rendition. I found the backing tracks very good on all versions but would have to say that overall the Dean Courtney, BH and Joey H versions are more to my liking - not that I wouldn't dance to Lens rendition and yes 123 is pure class so I have nothing against LB.

Talking of love love love whats the opinions of William Bonney's cut - altho I love it I do realise it is a very poppy thing.

Social source share

I'm surprised someone said Lov Lov Love wasn't played at the Wheel. It was played in Northants when the Wheel was going so was possibly played there first. It was incredibly common in 1969 as it was the flip of the follow up to a number one hit so there were oads of copies. In those days most people played both sides of a record so hundreds of people would have known it, i don't think anyone would claim to be the first. It's Bobby Hebb for me, though I love most of Len's stuff. i don't really go for either version of I'll Always Need You, too poppy like Moses Smith!

I'd bet anything it was played at The Wheel. I certainly heard it when I first got onto the scene, which was in the latter days of the Wheel. It was a well known record.

As for Len Barry, good to hear so much postive feeling towards his stuff. Always thought that It's a crying shame was a fab little groover.

Social source share

Well done John V for creating maximum interest in a recent purchase thats the way to do it.

Sadly Len's hype doesnt match up to DC's offering. Now that is a rock solid northern classic no arguements. Never actually owned a copy myself so that must say something. What number is it in Kev's Top 500 book?

Stevie Z - see Shades #31 for article on Lou Johnson & his album.

Tony Rounce - love reading your memories of the early days & the Mecca.

its all good fun innit - derek

Social source share

Len's best is 'I Struck It Rich' and 'Like A Baby' is good too. 1-2-3 is great of course but I've heard it too much in my life.

Whoops, I should say this is Ady not Ken, we get our log-ins mixed occasionally.

Social source share

Love Love Love has been issued at least twice in the UK. Once as the B side to a Satisfied Mind and then in 72 to cash in on the burgeoning northern scene. Sunny was the B side to this.

Anyone agree that the '72 re-issue was a slightly different mix? Handclaps sounded odd if memory serves...

Could be my memory playing tricks again :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert