soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 19
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Dan - I'm also after a copy of the rather wonderful "Sold on you" but I can wait untill I come across it. Check Anglo American's website I'm sure I saw a copy on there this morning for £25. cheers, derek

yeh it's sold on you i want it for too derek. like you i'll wait. can't see it being 25 quid record. mind you, someone will start playing it and then 125 quid will be cheap

Social source share

Played it at Steam a couple of times in the last year...

yes, joe, i said if someone plays it

ps that was a joke, how did it go down, cos it's an awesome record and you clearly have very good taste?

Edited by Dan
Social source share

One side went down well with a busy dancefloor , the other like a lead ballon (put the wrong side on by mistake when under the influence of Polish Lager LOL)

:lol:

simon, if you look it out and it's the right one, and its for sale, pls let me know whistling.gif

Social source share

The following will be no help at all to you in finding a copy but may be of interest, check out The Coronadas also on Bright Star 157 - slightly different title but same backing as Johnny Moore - 'I'm Sold On Your Love' a slightly more mellow version but as good in my opinion also has a beautiful flip 'You Can Do Me Some Good' also a nice link here with the Johnny Moore version and it's flip 'You're The One To Blame' which holds the same backing as Ricky Allen Four Brothers release 'I'm A Real Thankful Man' B/W 'I Can't Stand No Signifying' Bright Star 401 Also the 'Signifying' side was issued twice with a different title ident on Four Brothers 402 as 'Keep It To Yourself' which is also a must have record for another superb hard edge flip 'Just Me And You'.

Can also link Johnny Moore with Tyrone (The Wonder Boy) AKA Tyrone Davis as Johnny's Larry -O release 'What More Can I Do' - Larry - O 404 holds the same backing as Tyrone's Four Brothers release 'Please Consider Me' - Four Brothers 453 which has the awesome 'You Made Me Suffer' on the flip.

For my money these labels are well worth collecting and are outstanding examples of Chicago soul of the very highest order, with pretty much all the records being written or at least co written by Johnny Moore/Jack Daniels with many of the production credits going to Jack Daniels with help along the way from the likes of Monk Higgins, Harold Burrage with some superb songs and arrangements etc.

Harold Burrage wrote a brillaint double header for Tyrone 'Wonder Boy' again for Four Brothers - 450 'Good Company' B/W 'If You Don't Need Me', Ricky Allen's - 'It's A Mess I Tell You' is a prime example of the talents behind the scenes at the company of a brilliant Daniels/Moore Song, Daniels produced and arranged by Monk Higgins - Bright Star 150, top draw pedigree on this stunning mover. Finally back full circle to Johnny Moore with very possibly his finest moment on vinyl Bright Star - 148 'It May Be Tears Of Joy' B/W 'Your Love's Got Power' simply awesome both sides.

Sorry to ramble on a bit here but this type of music oh so floats my boat.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The following will be no help at all to you in finding a copy but may be of interest, check out The Coronadas also on Bright Star 157 - slightly different title but same backing as Johnny Moore - 'I'm Sold On Your Love' a slightly more mellow version but as good in my opinion also has a beautiful flip 'You Can Do Me Some Good' also a nice link here with the Johnny Moore version and it's flip 'You're The One To Blame' which holds the same backing as Ricky Allen Four Brothers release 'I'm A Real Thankful Man' B/W 'I Can't Stand No Signifying' Bright Star 401 Also the 'Signifying' side was issued twice with a different title ident on Four Brothers 402 as 'Keep It To Yourself' which is also a must have record for another superb hard edge flip 'Just Me And You'.

Can also link Johnny Moore with Tyrone (The Wonder Boy) AKA Tyrone Davis as Johnny's Larry -O release 'What More Can I Do' - Larry - O 404 holds the same backing as Tyrone's Four Brothers release 'Please Consider Me' - Four Brothers 453 which has the awesome 'You Made Me Suffer' on the flip.

For my money these labels are well worth collecting and are outstanding examples of Chicago soul of the very highest order, with pretty much all the records being written or at least co written by Johnny Moore/Jack Daniels with many of the production credits going to Jack Daniels with help along the way from the likes of Monk Higgins, Harold Burrage with some superb songs and arrangements etc.

Harold Burrage wrote a brillaint double header for Tyrone 'Wonder Boy' again for Four Brothers - 450 'Good Company' B/W 'If You Don't Need Me', Ricky Allen's - 'It's A Mess I Tell You' is a prime example of the talents behind the scenes at the company of a brilliant Daniels/Moore Song, Daniels produced and arranged by Monk Higgins - Bright Star 150, top draw pedigree on this stunning mover. Finally back full circle to Johnny Moore with very possibly his finest moment on vinyl Bright Star - 148 'It May Be Tears Of Joy' B/W 'Your Love's Got Power' simply awesome both sides.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Bloody hell Mark, how do you keep all that info in your head? Surely, you must have it all written down somewhere?

Also, I've gone all stiff at the prospect of you posting some soundbytes to back up your 'report'.

That last one sounds tasty. "It May Be Tears Of Joy", etc. Any chance of a soundbyte for that one at least?

Social source share

Bloody hell Mark, how do you keep all that info in your head? Surely, you must have it all written down somewhere?

Also, I've gone all stiff at the prospect of you posting some soundbytes to back up your 'report'.

That last one sounds tasty. "It May Be Tears Of Joy", etc. Any chance of a soundbyte for that one at least?

Lol.... i just pulled the records off the shelf and used them as reference, but was aware of the information and yes it's a little sad...lol regarding soundbites i'm not set up to do that sorry but will include them in a future show on Solar real soon...best i can do, i'm sure someone will be able to load these tracks on here.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Great post Mark , and there's also plenty more information on these labels and artists in Robert Pruter's fantastic book "Chicago Soul".

Incidentally Mark, ever thought of coming Down Under (Oz!) to sample the rare soul scene, maybe guest at the National Soul Weekender in October ? :D

Social source share

Great post Mark , and there's also plenty more information on these labels and artists in Robert Pruter's fantastic book "Chicago Soul".

Incidentally Mark, ever thought of coming Down Under (Oz!) to sample the rare soul scene, maybe guest at the National Soul Weekender in October ? :)

Hello Mr Sunny Soul....lol is that an invite mate?, because i would love to, air fare may be a slight problem though lol, i did mention this to Pete Fowler way back but he said you guy's sought out the DJ'ing between yourselves...but i would love to come over for a few cold ones....long way to come to play a few tunes but what an adventure????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share