Crossover Track

I just want to throw a post up in light of the other Crossover topic.

Right just out of interest ( and i just really wanna hear/see people talk about the music :o ) give me one track (and only one) that best sums up to you the "term" Crossover.

For me i'll throw Harold Tylers "Reality" release on Tymo into the "Lions Den"

ps...no one person can define this "Genre", and this is just a fun topic.......

So please no battling on the terraces..there maybe children present :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 118
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ShaneH

Margie Joseph - One more chance

Gwen McCrae - Lead me on

& a couple of quite nice and crossover sounding bits I picked up recently

Gladys - Love

Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr - Your love keeps drawing me closer.

The latter is new to me anyone else know it or have I been living in a cupboard!?

Shane

Social source share

Margie Joseph - One more chance

Gwen McCrae - Lead me on

& a couple of quite nice and crossover sounding bits I picked up recently

Gladys - Love

Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr - Your love keeps drawing me closer.

The latter is new to me anyone else know it or have I been living in a cupboard!?

Shane

link

Shane, I SAID ONE ONLY :angry:

i have the Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr on Capsoul, but the side for me is "You Can't Blame Me" :thumbup:

Have a good weekend in London mate, and don't forget this fella requires that lift to Lifeline blush.gif

Social source share

I have the Gwen McCrae, but Bobby Blands version is one of my all time favourite vinyl records blush.gif .......it sends a chill down my spine......wow .....gotta drag that blessed 45 out now, and play the savage swine :thumbup:

Social source share

Won't get into an argument about the definition of Xover but this is my specific area of interest, its the only genre I collect now and the only style I feel comfortable playing out. The question is hard because crossover ticks too many boxes and I prefer not to generalise. What I call crossover is probably whats termed as modern by the 60's aficionados, and I don't categorise it by date, but by feel/vibe/whateveryouwantotcallit; so all I can do is name that tune......the one that epitomises a stellar sound at a Xover night (not a Northern night where other genres are played) is................

Natural Impulse - She Went Away

The dichotomy is that you will probably never (???? Sam at Lifeline perhaps) hear this in a Northern room , so bang goes most folks definition of Xover :thumbup:

Ali

Social source share

Joshie jo Armstead...Ive got the vibes..Truth.  Best crossover choon ever! :thumbup:

link

KEV's FAVOURITE x-over

1. ROZ RYAN(Volt)

2. DELILAH MOORE(Middle Earth)

3. LEE VANDERBILT(UK Bell)

Night, Night

Social source share

I got goose bumps just thinking about Gwen Mcrae..lead me on.first on my play list this weekend for sure..And that version by bobby bland is a track i only heard for the first time this year,its as near perfection as it gets for me...Xover is a different thing to many folk..I hear something called Xover played in rae 60s rooms/modern rooms and even at funk nights...

The ones for me are Belita Woods..Magic Corner...George E Smith..Don't find me guilty...Dee Dee Sharp..The bottle or me..

Do these count in the cross over section..3 quality records that don't seem to fit into any one camp..

If you want you're cross over then see Mr Johnny Trout and Alison..i think they have it spot on,its tunes like these that keep the scene fresh for me,tunes to make you think and not always to dance to..

Social source share

Guest micksmith

THE IMPRESSIONS-"WHEREVER SHE LEADETH ME". WHAT A FANTASTIC TRACK. KOLLA I'VE GOT A FEELING YOU LIKE THIS ONE. AND STILL ONLY ABOUT £15.00. MONEY WELL SPENT.

Social source share

THE IMPRESSIONS-"WHEREVER SHE LEADETH ME". WHAT A FANTASTIC TRACK. KOLLA I'VE GOT A FEELING YOU LIKE THIS ONE. AND STILL ONLY ABOUT £15.00. MONEY WELL SPENT.

link

Mmm... A delicious piece of "x-over soul" for sure blush.gif

Another cheapie recommendation from me would have to be the

Valentinos on Clean records. What a tune blush.gif !

Never tire of this.

Current crossover-fave for me would have to be Clay Brown on

Florentine or the Donnell Brown double-sider on Brown & Brown :thumbup:

Cheers,

Christian blush.gif B

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

If you want you're cross over then see Mr Johnny Trout and Alison..i think they have it spot on,its tunes like these that keep the scene fresh for me,tunes to make you think and not always to dance to..

link

Awwww shucks Stevie whistling.gif we just know what we like. I was going to stay out of this one , a little rude i know, but for me there can be no definative crossover sound. I talked about it with Ali last night, but to be honest i do find it all a little frustrating that people feel a need to pigeon hole sounds and ft them into neat little boxes when to be fair they don't always fit neatly. Natural Impulse is one of a handful of Holy Grail records on the crossover scene that would have a similar stature to say the Mello Souls or Don Gardener on the Northern side of the fence. So as an all time great NI definately stands up there, to pick one from our collection is difficult, i probably couldn't even give you a definitive current favourite. On this mornings plays it probably wouldn't be one of mine but one of Christian's off a recent CDR Natural Sounds - I need love - Masterfonics acetate absolutely superb seventies dancer and fresh to my ears which is just how i like it :shades:whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Trouty

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

One track that's perfect xover for me is Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose "too late to turn back now" (UA) it epitomizes the term for me..

Othervise current xover fave is:

Jackey Beavers "bring me all your heartaches" (Grand Land)

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

'wherever '' is good but got mine for £8, you paid too much for yours Mick ,need a price help  whistling.gif

best for me is Masqueraders ''aint gonna stop''  crossover is the way forward for sure.

re Clay Brown, looking for one,anybody got one ?

link

Dave Welding had one last weekend Headsy (Clay Brown that is) so i reckon he'll still have it pretty sure he had £500 on it though whistling.gif

John

Social source share

While we're talking about perfect crossover records....

Fabulous playmates on Select

Anybody wants to sell/trade me a copy whistling.gif

Will make you a silly offer you can't refuse whistling.gif

Offlist please!

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

While we're talking about perfect crossover records....

Fabulous playmates on Select

Anybody wants to sell/trade me a copy  whistling.gif  

Will make you a silly offer you can't refuse whistling.gif

Offlist please!

link

have also been searching high and low for this but have given up :( never even seen one for sale :thumbsup:

But talking about silly offers, i'm still searching for the Sweet Mixture 45, could make someone a silly offer on that one :shades:

best

Leo

Social source share

Shane, I SAID ONE ONLY :angry:

i have the Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr on Capsoul, but the side for me is "You Can't Blame Me" whistling.gif

Been playing Your Love... in Dublin on an off for about 5 years......quality tune. Agree with Brett.......flip is the biz too

John

Social source share

The ones for me are Belita Woods..Magic Corner...George E Smith..Don't find me guilty...Dee Dee Sharp..The bottle or me..

Do these count in the cross over section..3 quality records that don't seem to fit into any one camp..

George E Smith... What an amazing record... whistling.gif Who cares

what camp it fits into... Just quality real soul music :thumbsup: Love it whistling.gif

Social source share

THE "B" SIDE OF "ERIC LOMAX". JUST A BIT SLOWER THAN THE MAIN SIDE. BETTER START PLAYING THAT NEXT YEAR.

link

Yeah, the flip is almost better IMO. Heard it played by Mick H.

And how about the so-called Butch Masqueraders C/U - perfect

crossover dancer IMO whistling.gif Will be aired here in Oslo on October 30th whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

THE "B" SIDE OF "ERIC LOMAX". JUST A BIT SLOWER THAN THE MAIN SIDE. BETTER START PLAYING THAT NEXT YEAR.

link

Yes very good Mick i've heard it spun somewhere just can't remember where, you're not still covering that thing up are you whistling.gifwhistling.gif:thumbsup:

John

Social source share

Toss-up between

Wilson Love "Funny Money" NS and

Delilah Moore "It Takes Love" Middle Earth.

link

Wilson Love , what a great track, one of the most often played tracks in my car, Mick H got one recently so should start hearing around a bit.

Good topic this one, of course there is the temptation to reach for the nearest Crossover C.D, however just quickly thumbing through me vinyl,

Willie Tee ~ first taste of hurt .

Hesitations ~ Is this the way to treat a girl .

Pauline Shivers ~ won't you come back home .

I've just noticed that there is a willie tee first taste of hurt finishing on ebay in a couple of hours, current price £63, bargain if you ask me.....

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The ultimate x over tune for me was the ultimates girl i've been trying to tell you. That was until i heard Bull Bygones. It's now got surface noise due to the amount of wank stains on it. whistling.gif

link

But Bygones is 70's Northern in my book LOL wink.gif

Hi Ho Silver Away!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Wilson Love ,  what a great track, one of the most often played tracks in my car, Mick H got one recently so should start hearing around a bit.

Good topic this one, of course there is the temptation to reach for the nearest Crossover C.D, however just quickly thumbing through me vinyl,

Willie Tee ~ first taste of hurt .

Hesitations ~ Is this the way to treat a girl .

Pauline Shivers ~ won't you come back home .

I've just noticed that there is a willie tee first taste of hurt finishing on ebay in a couple of hours, current price £63, bargain if you ask me.....

link

I have the Pauline Shivers (Opex), heard someone play it at Ducie (i think),

great track John......manalive....plenty on here that i haven't got, pity i haven't got deep pockets whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

That's the beauty of the genre Bret you don't neccessarily need deep pockets. There are plenty of great tracks that can be picked up at reasoable prices whistling.gif

Social source share

Just plucked one tune that I always love to hear STORMY by The Supremes, I believe it was recorded in the 60's, so is it Northern or Crossover whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Adam G

link

Ah a great song but flip it over for an even better treat with

" sooner or later "mmmmm.

My own current favourite crossover type tune this week is a Tip from Jordi Rip is the very cheap but totaly fantastic Three Degrees -Find my Way on Roulette. Now $5 for a blind buy put it on the table and wow totaly fantastic original version of Cameos tune that used to get hammerd on the northern scene in late 7ts early eighties.This version lags all over the cameo one.just get it play it .

Biggest treat this year though is the discovery for me that the 45 RCA single by Willie Hutch "When a boy falls in love" is actually nothing like the LP version but is crossover heaven.Those punchy Horns get me all the time whistling.gif

Adam

Social source share

Just plucked one tune that I always love to hear STORMY by The Supremes, I believe it was recorded in the 60's, so is it Northern or Crossover whistling.gif

link

Wouldn't class it as either to be honest...shite IMO :o :Dblink.gif Actually recorded January 21, 24 & 25, 1969. Three days and then they don't release it wink.gif

Social source share

link

It was an unreleased track, now available on "white" label 7", not really certain if this falls into Crossover, the whole point of my original post was that really to "Catergorize" a musical style is always open to debate ie. what "is" and what "isn't", and i really just wanted to prove this point, and to be honest many of the tracks mentioned on here would in my opinion fall into "Xover"........ wink.gif

Social source share

It was an unreleased track, now available on "white" label 7", not really certain if this falls into Crossover, the whole point of my original post was that really to "Catergorize" a musical style is always open to debate ie. what "is" and what "isn't", and i really just wanted to prove this point, and to be honest many of the tracks mentioned on here would in my opinion fall into "Xover"........ whistling.gif

link

I actually like the track, also have good versions by the Classic IV(Imperial, original vers, i believe?) and also LP only release by O.C. Smith (this being my own fav.)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

It was an unreleased track, now available on "white" label 7", not really certain if this falls into Crossover, the whole point of my original post was that really to "Catergorize" a musical style is always open to debate ie. what "is" and what "isn't", and i really just wanted to prove this point, and to be honest many of the tracks mentioned on here would in my opinion fall into "Xover"........ :D

link

Not wishing or meaning to be rude blunt whatever but why should your version of "What Crossover Means" be the definitive version Brett? I probably phrased that all wrong but it got your attention though eh :Dblink.gif

What i'm trying to get at is that crossover means many things to many people and there really isn't in my opinion (and that's the point it is just my opinion whistling.gif ) any definitive crossover sound because it changes and evolves all the time, yes it does maintain a vibe but IMVFHO it really doesn't do to try and pigeon hole these things too much just to satisfy a need to endlessly catergorise and compartmentalise.

What about the records that crossover from the modern scene to the Northern scene but don't fit this neat little '69 - '73 timeslot that has been allocated? It's a minefield blink.gif

John

Social source share

Not wishing or meaning to be rude blunt whatever but why should your version of "What Crossover Means" be the definitive version Brett? I probably phrased that all wrong but it got your attention though eh  blink.gif   :D

What i'm trying to get at is that crossover means many things to many people and there really isn't in my opinion (and that's the point it is just my opinion  whistling.gif ) any definitive crossover sound because it changes and evolves all the time, yes it does maintain a vibe but IMVFHO it really doesn't do to try and pigeon hole these things too much just to satisfy a need to endlessly catergorise and compartmentalise.

What about the records that crossover from the modern scene to the Northern scene but don't fit this neat little '69 - '73 timeslot that has been allocated?  It's a minefield  wink.gif

John

link

John my opinion of "Xover" is certainly not the "Definitive" version, good god i am on here to learn and also talk about this marvellous sound, and would never dream of forcing a personal opinion down any bodys throat.

If you fully understood my post, i stated that NO ONE can explain the genre, because in effect it does not exist, but "folks" do try to "Pigeon Hole" certain types of musical style (and always will). I just was quite simply trying to see what other members of this forum thought in their own opinion summed up best the term "Crossover". I'm purely on this forum to exchange views and talk about Soul music, i never wish to appear as someone whose view is "Definitive" (this is a total anathema to me).

Think i'll have a break from here...getting a little bit too serious....... (always thought soul was about enjoyment, perhaps i got it wrong)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

John my opinion of "Xover" is certainly not the "Definitive" version, good god i am on here to learn and also talk about this marvellous sound, and would never dream of forcing a personal opinion down any bodys throat.

If you fully understood my post, i stated that NO ONE can explain the genre, because in effect it does not exist, but "folks" do try to "Pigeon Hole" certain types of musical style (and always will). I just was quite simply trying to see what other members of this forum thought in their own opinion summed up best the term "Crossover". I'm purely on this forum to exchange views and talk about Soul music, i  never wish to appear as someone whose view is "Definitive" (this is a total anathema to me).

Think i'll have a break from here...getting a little bit too serious....... (always thought soul was about enjoyment, perhaps i got it wrong)

link

Sorry Brett i wasn't having a go mate, sent you a PM hope it explains, just off out so catch up tomorrow.

Appologetic old

Trouty

Social source share

It's a tough genre to define as there are so many opinions on what it is and it's now greatly abused, especially by some dealers.

Usually (IMO) they are records using more modern production techniques that are still acceptable to the Northern crowd but maybe too Northern in style for the modern crowd????? Usually from the period late 60's to mid 70's although it now appears to cover records well into the 80's for some reason, mainly selling points for dealers.

Social source share

All soul at the end of the day...you either like it or you don't  ph34r.gif

link

Another tune that "springs" to mind is SPRING RAIN by Silvetti, a 70's instrumental which I actually really like but to this day have never heard it played at any soul gig, is it too northern or too modern, I guess there are loads of brilliant 60's/70's soulful tunes that cannot be defined so they are rarely played blink.gif

Social source share

Another tune that "springs" to mind is SPRING RAIN by Silvetti, a 70's instrumental which I actually really like but to this day have never heard it played at any soul gig

Come to Cleethorpes Winter Gardens mate! It's one of our all-time classic floor filling oldies! Silvetti's gonna come round again and when it does remember I told ya so! Now there's a tip for you Bexter me old chum!.......

Social source share

Kenni Smith "Lord whats happening to your people" Its northern, with a funk base line, Gospel, A protest song, Recorded in the 70s, Rare on original ,easy to pick up on a boot, A clasic not an over played oldie, played in both rooms, Now if that dont crossover from one genere to another i dont know what does

"Brother fighting brother yes he does, got no respect for mother :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Kenni Smith  "Lord whats happening to your people" Its northern, with a funk base line, Gospel, A protest song, Recorded in the 70s, Rare on original ,easy to pick up on a boot, A clasic not an over played oldie, played in both rooms, Now if that dont crossover from one genere to another  i dont know what does

"Brother fighting brother yes he does, got no respect for mother :thumbsup:

link

I'm sorry i don't want to upset anyone here but am i the only one that that thinks that Kenni Smith and Silvetti are out and out Northern Soul Classics, massive at the Mecca and Wigan, how come all of a sudden they are now crossover, you've lost me there, i know they are both 70's but then as far as i remember the northern scene has always embraced the 70's and still does today with a fair few of the big newies hailing from the 70's.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will not hear either of those two tunes in crossover rooms anywhere in the country but you are quite likely to hear both at any Northern Oldies do.

Here are a couple of lists of crossover favourites, the first is the populist side of things well known verging on the played out but guaranteed to fill the floor

JB Bingham - All alone by the telephone

JR Bailey - Love won't wear off

Satin - Your love's got me

Bobby Reed - The time is right

Sy Hightower - I know you're leaving me

And here are 5 of the less obvious rarities and newies (to coin a phrase)

Tolbert - I've got it

Natural Impulse - She went away

Clay Brown - Walk with a groove

Rhythm Machine - Put a smile on time

3 Prophets - I think i really love you

To be honest i could go on and on and i don't want to come across all condescending, but if we are going to talk about crossover lets at least get the records from the right box wink.gif

For me and a most others who delve into the dark side that is the crossover scene, the whole genre has developed to such an extent that you can identify a crossover record by it's sound, it's vibe just as you can an out and out Northern record, and it has nothing to do with when it was made but so much do with the sound. Having said that it isn't so rigid as only one style is accepted which is why it is so difficult to pin it all down to one record that defines the genre and to limit it to a time frame is ludicrous.

Trouty

Remember it's nothing to get Crossover................................................. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm sorry i don't want to upset anyone here but am i the only one that that thinks that Kenni Smith and Silvetti are out and out Northern Soul Classics, massive at the Mecca and Wigan, how come all of a sudden they are now crossover, you've lost me there, i know they are both 70's but then as far as i remember the northern scene has always embraced the 70's and still does today with a fair few of the big newies hailing from the 70's.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will not hear either of those two tunes in crossover rooms anywhere in the country but you are quite likely to hear both at any Northern Oldies do.

Here are a couple of lists of crossover favourites, the first is the populist side of things well known verging on the played out but guaranteed to fill the floor

JB Bingham - All alone by the telephone

JR Bailey - Love won't wear off

Satin - Your love's got me

Bobby Reed - The time is right

Sy Hightower - I know you're leaving me

And here are 5 of the less obvious rarities and newies (to coin a phrase)

Tolbert - I've got it

Natural Impulse - She went away

Clay Brown - Walk with a groove

Rhythm Machine - Put a smile on time

3 Prophets - I think i really love you

To be honest i could go on and on and i don't want to come across all condescending, but if we are going to talk about crossover lets at least get the records from the right box :thumbsup:

For me and a most others who delve into the dark side that is the crossover scene, the whole genre has developed to such an extent that you can identify a crossover record by it's sound, it's vibe just as you can an out and out Northern record, and it has nothing to do with when it was made but so much do with the sound. Having said that it isn't so rigid as only one style is accepted which is why it is so difficult to pin it all down to one record that defines the genre and to limit it to a time frame is ludicrous.

Trouty

Remember it's nothing to get Crossover................................................. :thumbsup:

link

Well we will have to disagree on that one. OK there are more obvious tunes to pick from, but for me a crossover tune is a tune that crosses over from one genere to another, I am sure i have read somewere on this site, forgive me if i am wrong, that kenni smith is getting plays on the funk circuit. arnt most of the modden stuff played now a days first relesed for the disco market and crossed over to the scene, wernt most of the northern soul tunes released to be hits in the pop market in the US and crossed over the atlantic ocean to be placed in a slot we call northern soul, so if that is the case, its all crossover. So now we can have it all in one room call it northern soul and enjoy it for what it is and not try and split it into seperate factions and kill it all of like we did in the late 70s early 80s and that for me would be something to get crossover :angry:

Any way the original post was for my choice not yours wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

In that case i think we can safely say that the Del-Larks, Ree Flores and a host of others are now crossover then :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:wink.gif

Trouty

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!