Cardboard Sleeves?

Youyou

Dear all,

I am thinking about replacing my often torn and dirty single sleeves with new ones. So, opposed to previous threads I know where to buy them, but I do not know which ones to buy.

Do you think that using only cardboard sleeves will harm the singles? I have got the impression that the cardboard is pretty rough!

I was already thinking about buying cardboard as outer sleeves and the normal paper ones for the protection. But on the other hand I fear that the paper sleeves don't fit in outer sleeves, e.g. Bagsunlimed is stating: "Paper sleeves do not fit inside."

What do you recommend? Your help would be really appreciated!

Take care

YouYou

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dear all,

I am thinking about replacing my often torn and dirty single sleeves with new ones. So, opposed to previous threads I know where to buy them, but I do not know which ones to buy.

Do you think that using only cardboard sleeves will harm the singles? I have got the impression that the cardboard is pretty rough!

I was already thinking about buying cardboard as outer sleeves and the normal paper ones for the protection. But on the other hand I fear that the paper sleeves don't fit in outer sleeves, e.g. Bagsunlimed is stating: "Paper sleeves do not fit inside."

What do you recommend? Your help would be really appreciated!

Take care

YouYou

In my experience, the cardboard sleeves do damage vinyl, some of my records I've had in them 30 years, and they have loads of surface scuffs, so definitely make sure there's a paper sleeve inside to protect. whistling.gif

Social source share

Try and get hold of the green file sleeves which do fit inside the card ones, they also come in various colours but green looks good, also protects the 45's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yep Mark, that's what I use. I get mine from Bags Unlimited in the U.S - they're the green medium weight paper (almost like very thin card) sleeves that do not rip (like the paper sleeves) when you're taking them in and out of the cardboard sleeves. Click on the link below and select the 7" Antique GREEN "Old Style" paper sleeves and you're there whistling.gif

Rich

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=27

Edited by Rich Buckley
Social source share

Dear all,

Cardboard will never damage the records, no matter how rough the cardboard , its perfectly safe and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying. if you want to place your records in paper sleeves and turn the paper sleeve through 90 degrees to stop the record falling out of the outer cardboard sleeve thats up to you.

Steve

Social source share

Try and get hold of the green file sleeves which do fit inside the card ones, they also come in various colours but green looks good, also protects the 45's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your comments. :shades:

I think the solutiont is Paper Inside Sleeves - Cardboard Outer Sleeves. Maybe I will check the "Heavy Duty Bag Unlimited Paper Sleeves", too.

Just one quesition though: what is the purpose of have green paper sleeves (which are indeed very nice) if you stick them in a white cardboard sleeve????

Take care

YouYou

Social source share

all i can say on this topic is that ive found 45,s in junk shops covered in dust without sleeves (daves surplus,derby) about 30 years ago, the very same 45,s have done various house moves, various periods of hiding in wardrobes for the odd decade, various time periods of being left unattended on top of sideboard at the mercy of three kids and still they work as they should and look great, some of the cardboard covers however are not looking so good but still protect,

may start a new topic on old style decorated with felt tip or even drawings on cardboard covers anyone know what i mean ? i know pete smith touched on a similar subject ages ago but this was one of the first things that amazed me about the northern scene especially in the 70,s the amount of effort someone had put in to identify "exus trek" on a plain brown cardboard cover

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I always favoured the card sleeves with the plastic liner, like you used to get in Rumbelows etc. Dont know if you can still get them?

Alan

Social source share

I always favoured the card sleeves with the plastic liner, like you used to get in Rumbelows etc. Dont know if you can still get them?

Alan

do you mean the brown ones with different colour edgings, or the white ones, the brown ones were ace (still got some from the 70,s going strong, the white ones became discoloured very easily and would not fit into my red vinyl covered record box (still see some at carboots ect)

Social source share

Ive seen some people use paper sleeves inside clear polythene covers. Almost certain that covers 33 have them.

Trev

Ive seen some people use paper sleeves inside clear polythene covers. Almost certain that covers 33 have them.

Trev

Anyone a fan of 'Just A Minute' on Radio 4?

Beep

.........Repetition!

Social source share

Alan

No you can't. Rumbelows went bust years ago. I used to work for them and may have had a small part in their downfall.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

may start a new topic on old style decorated with felt tip or even drawings on cardboard covers anyone know what i mean ? i know pete smith touched on a similar subject ages ago but this was one of the first things that amazed me about the northern scene especially in the 70,s the amount of effort someone had put in to identify "exus trek" on a plain brown cardboard cover

Edited by Martin Coleman
Social source share

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your comments. thumbsup.gif

I think the solutiont is Paper Inside Sleeves - Cardboard Outer Sleeves. Maybe I will check the "Heavy Duty Bag Unlimited Paper Sleeves", too.

Just one quesition though: what is the purpose of have green paper sleeves (which are indeed very nice) if you stick them in a white cardboard sleeve????

Take care

YouYou

No reason at all for the green paper sleeves i guess, just something i've always done, looks good and keeps my records good and smart, also they take a bit of a battering when constantly being handled when dj'ing etc. another habbit i have is putting the green sleeve on the turntable slip mat with 45 on top, possibly so i won't lose the sleeve.....lol strange i need help i know.........lol i can't believe we are talking about record sleeves, perhaps what goes inside them is far more important but we have to protect,preserve and cherish them don't we????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Well, a while ago someone posted a link for a website where you could see a lot of decorated sleeves. Real nice.

If I got a bit spare time, I will try to find the post.

Take care

YouYou

Social source share

all i can say on this topic is that ive found 45,s in junk shops covered in dust without sleeves (daves surplus,derby) about 30 years ago, the very same 45,s have done various house moves, various periods of hiding in wardrobes for the odd decade, various time periods of being left unattended on top of sideboard at the mercy of three kids and still they work as they should and look great, some of the cardboard covers however are not looking so good but still protect,

:rolleyes::thumbsup: , Daves garbage more like, A shop full of rubbish, however he sold anything in that shop beats me......

It's got to be nice white card sleeves for me, with paper liners, was once told that the sleeves with polythene inners was bad for the vinyl long term......not sure about that, just think nice clean white sleeves are the biz.

Social source share

was once told that the sleeves with polythene inners was bad for the vinyl long term......not sure about that, .

Ive got records in those type of sleeves John that have been in them for the best part of 30 years and they are fine :rolleyes:

Social source share

I don't like the smell of them either Karen.......... :rolleyes:

Can't say I have ever sniffed mine :thumbsup::D

I have recently invested in coloured sleeves, oh they do look very nice :ohmy:

Social source share

:thumbsup::rolleyes: , Daves garbage more like, A shop full of rubbish, however he sold anything in that shop beats me......

It's got to be nice white card sleeves for me, with paper liners, was once told that the sleeves with polythene inners was bad for the vinyl long term......not sure about that, just think nice clean white sleeves are the biz.

sharon scott rca issue

charades mgm issue

spyder turner mgm issue

shep fool to fool

ad libs nothing worse

and others, must admit though for every good one i must have bought a 100 crap ones

Social source share

how about top northern tatoos then :rolleyes:

Actually been thinking about one for 25+ years.

Bunch of us used to hang around together and one saturday half of us made the usual trip to Wigan. The lot that never went all got stayed at home & all got Wigan tattoos. I wish I'd got one - ironic really.

Social source share

Bunch of us used to hang around together and one saturday half of us made the usual trip to Wigan. The lot that never went all got stayed at home & all got Wigan tattoos. I wish I'd got one - ironic really.

seem to remember around derby in the 70,s a character with ric tic tattood on his neck, a tamla on one hand, motown on the other , never dared speak to him though

Social source share

Col,

Wouldnt have suited you mate, plus going to Wigan was enjoyable - tattoos hurt!!!!

Al.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!