I Like It (& That's All That Matters?)

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest NASHEE

I like and I don't care who thinks it's crap. Anyone else will admit to unashamedly liking something? (The Chalky need not apply)

It's so bad it's brilliant, ladies and gents ..... the Flamma Sherman

Yeh...'POPCORN' whistling.gif:):):)

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

What is the the 'holy grail' of PC. Post it up, always keen to learn / hear something different. i.e. here's £100k and you'd go out and get.....?

1) CAN I HAVE THE MONEY UP FRONT ???

2) IF I HAD £100K TO SPEND...I WOULD RATHER SPEND IT ON 100'S OF RECORDS THAT ARE WONDERFUL IMO, RATHER THAN A MASSIVE RARITY.

SO MANY OF THE MORE EXPENSIVE POPCORNS ARE RECORDS THAT ARE SHARED BETWEEN THE NORTHERN SCENE TOO..SAM FLETCHER, KEL ORBOURNE etc SO OBVIOUSY I'VE STEERED AWAY FROM POSTING SOUNDFILES OF THOSE

3) HERE ARE A COUPLE OF POPCORNS THAT I PROBABLY WILL NEVER OWN. AND WILL CERTAINLY NOT APPEAL TO NORTHERN DANCERS

4) BEFORE ANYONE SHOOTS ME DOWN IN FLAMES....THIS ISN'T NORTHERN SOUL...IT'S JUST MUSIC THAT I LOVE.

DON CAROL

JOHNNY BARNES

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Didn't download it because if it's "Where is he" I've heard it hundreds of times, but don't you think, for three vocalists they have the weakest voices ever put onto record?? Diplomats daughters apparently, probably wangled a record contract somehow. It's a quirky little record but those vocals...

Social source share

3) HERE ARE A COUPLE OF POPCORNS THAT I PROBABLY WILL NEVER OWN. AND WILL CERTAINLY NOT APPEAL TO NORTHERN DANCERS

4) BEFORE ANYONE SHOOTS ME DOWN IN FLAMES....THIS ISN'T NORTHERN SOUL...IT'S JUST MUSIC THAT I LOVE.

DON CAROL

JOHNNY BARNES

LOVED the Johnny Barnes blush.gif fantastic track, never heard it before. Are there any web sites where you can listen to Popcorn and get details of the tunes?

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest martyn

Didn't download it because if it's "Where is he" I've heard it hundreds of times, but don't you think, for three vocalists they have the weakest voices ever put onto record?? Diplomats daughters apparently, probably wangled a record contract somehow. It's a quirky little record but those vocals...

Bought ' where is He' a week or so ago for memories sake (St Ives,Peterborough 77/78).Not great Soul by any stretch of the imagination,but used to fill the floor.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

2 superb tracks Linda whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Thanks Kev

I'm afraid neither are in my price range :yes: or I wouldn't have posted them....I certainly don't need any extra collecting competition. :lol:

the Johnny Barnes came out on 2 labels, and both are as rare as each other.

Don Caroll....I would sell body parts to get this record. It came out apparently on his own private Label 'Doncar'

best

Linda

about 130 people have downloaded the soundfiles & only you are impressed by both of them.

OH well.... :lol: like the thread says...AS LONG AS I LIKE EM

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

How about this for a nice oddity: seems fairly elusive, I can't find it anyway... Can't believe it wasn't a massive hit! whistling.gif

Hi Mik....Mamie Perry has been near the top of my wants for about 5years

Michael Scapone has a copy for sale....but it is very expensive...about £350...too much for me I'm afraid. its on Pioneer International

Social source share

Thanks for putting up these links; they're very interesting tracks. A neighbour of ours collects Popcorn and I always find it a pleasure to look through her record boxes, as it was a fascinating era in the recording industry.

The point at which 'soul' as we know it was born out of forms of music which were soulful but generically something else is a subject that could run and run. I would unreservedly recommend Kent's "Birth of Soul" series to anyone on the entire board, containing as they do a whole host of brilliant sounds from the very well known to the relatively obscure.

Social source share

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF POPCORNS THAT I PROBABLY WILL NEVER OWN. AND WILL CERTAINLY NOT APPEAL TO NORTHERN DANCERS

not sure i agree with you here linda. that johnny barnes track is brilliant and way better than a lot of other stafford/100 Club type sounds (if such a genre exists). i think it would have gone down a storm on the dancefloor of either in the mid 80s and wouldn't be surprised if it was played somewhere by someone.

thanks for posting up!

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

not sure i agree with you here linda. that johnny barnes track is brilliant and way better than a lot of other stafford/100 Club type sounds (if such a genre exists). i think it would have gone down a storm on the dancefloor of either in the mid 80s and wouldn't be surprised if it was played somewhere by someone.

thanks for posting up!

Thanks Dan.

I agree,,,I do think its danceable....but saying it isn't,,,well, it's easier on the brain to have one or two people saying...ooh i think its danceable, than having scathing remarks made about how could I possibly class it as a dancer ??? catch my drift?

Ask Andy Dyson to play it...he's the only person in England who I know with a copy

best

Linda

when googling, I've found the Johnny barnes in Andy Dyson playlists, don't know when from though, and if he's not playing it now, I think he should do the right thing and sell it to me thumbsup.gif

ha ha ha....and you think i haven't tried

Social source share

Guest uroffal

thanks for posting up!

I'll second that. It certainly has that Stafford 'feel' - really nice record IMO.

Thanks to Miss Popcorn for posting thumbsup.gif

Incidentally, I did a search for Johnny Barnes on John Manship's site and it is listed and although NA if you click 'more info' it has a price of £750 ... maybe John had a copy recently as he's a member perhaps he could confirm?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Thanks for putting up these links; they're very interesting tracks. A neighbour of ours collects Popcorn and I always find it a pleasure to look through her record boxes, as it was a fascinating era in the recording industry.

The point at which 'soul' as we know it was born out of forms of music which were soulful but generically something else is a subject that could run and run. I would unreservedly recommend Kent's "Birth of Soul" series to anyone on the entire board, containing as they do a whole host of brilliant sounds from the very well known to the relatively obscure.

Gareth

All popcorn is, is a scene which did and still does run parallel to the Northern scene.

The only differences being. A) they put much more emphisis on the tempo of their music...it had to be suitable to do a slow jive dance. and cool.gif although rarity was important to some dj's...they had and still dont have a problem with playing danceable pop music. be it white or black.

They loved and collected northern sounds...but only the mid tempo. Then added any other style that suited their needs.

Social source share

Yes. I should have stated that the bit of the Popcorn scene that I find interesting is the very early soul angle of it. The white showtunes and post Rock & Roll ballads send me straight back home to listen to the entire run of Willie Johnson 45s! (that's the 70s deep soul artist from Georgia, not the 1930s bluesman, BTW)

Social source share

but a lot of those white tunes & post rock N roll 'teen' ballads were done in the same studios and by the same orchestras and were often versions of the same songs as the 'early soul' by the likes of Jimmy Ricks, Tony Middleton, Freddie Houston etc.

I agree that much of it is terrible, but you can't separate the two styles so easily as if they came from different planets. White and black artists (apart from the real blues-men) seemed to move in very similar circles during that era, and often recorded a similar range of slick R&B, 'early soul' and saccharine teen ballads.

Sometimes the line between white girl group and black girl group is so thin, it's barly distinguishable, as is the line between a blues artist trying his hand at an urban 'pop' r&b sound, or a country or white teen idol trying the same thing.

Think of something like 'Dearest One' my Lamont Dozier. Definitely classed as 'early soul', but I could easily imagine a white artist from the time doing the exact same song with the exact same instrumentation. A lot of Marv Johnson tracks are the same. If they were white they'd be classed as teen or pop.

Sure the vocals by the black artists are often better, but there's more to music than the vocals. Having said that, how often do I wish that a good white R&B/early soul track could have had a great black singer singing on it to make it really good?

Social source share

Good points well made, Mr Parry. That's what I mean about that period in the record industry being fascinating. It was a time of cultural and cross-cultural explosion. The links between 'white music' and 'black music' were breaking down in the US. Witness the phenomenon of Southern Soul, where the studio bands of Fame (pretty much entirely white), Stax (the definitive 'mixed' band) or the all-black bands such as Bobby Patterson's Mustangs were all making pretty much the same kind of music as one another before they were even aware of the others' existence. The political upheaval and fallout of events of the late 60s (key of which was probably the assassination of MLK) meant that this cross-polination of musical ideas and racial co-existence would be pushed to the sidelines for practically the next two decades.

Social source share

exactly. Always seemed strange to me that music was more cross-cultural and musicians more mixed and open minded back when society was more racist.

I suppose one argument would be that black artists back then had to tone down their sound to sound white and fit in with the white mainstream and couldn't truely express themselves, but this created a new sound which is great in it's own right.

And looking at the era from the early 50s to mid 60s, I think it's obvious that black musicians influenced white culture far more than vice-versa.

I certainly don't think the music suffered as a result of either culture being influenced by the other, in fact I think it made modern music what it is today.

I know the mostly white owned studios ripped their artists off etc, especially the black ones, but the sound of a great black singer with the weight and craft of a 50s -60s big studio band / orchestra & arranger behind them is fantastic IMO.

Social source share

Yes. I should have stated that the bit of the Popcorn scene that I find interesting is the very early soul angle of it. The white showtunes and post Rock & Roll ballads send me straight back home to listen to the entire run of Willie Johnson 45s! (that's the 70s deep soul artist from Georgia, not the 1930s bluesman, BTW)

Try 5 minutes of Willie Johnson with a glass of wine or two.

Willie_Johnson____Glory_of_loveRe1.mp3

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

They're both amazing. Known the Barnes for a while, but the other one is new to me, cheers!

I'd pay a chunk for the JB for sure, you never see it & it's a masterpiece.

p.s. What's the other label apart from Jaba? Jab

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!