Instrumental All Niter

no vocals just 8 hours full of northern instrumentals...

24 per hour on average ...* 8 djs = 192 records

what would u put on

what d'ya reckon....

a few from me

G Davis & R Tyler - Hold on help is on the way

Al Delory - Right on

Pal & Prophets - Peace Pipe

Dick & Paul Freitas - Siamese Cat

Peter Hamilton - Hey girl...

i love instrumentals me,,anyone else

Social source share

• Replies 89
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

what would u put on

what d'ya reckon....

a few from me

Al Delory - Right on

Hi Mark

I would go for some of those Motown / Funk Brothers tracks, the ones I play out at the moment are 'Shake Me Wake Me' & 'This Old Heart Of Mine'.

I have also been asked recently about doing a Detroit ONLY nighter! Any thoughts on that? Anyone?

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

what would u put on

what d'ya reckon....

a few from me

Al Delory - Right on

no they're all fukcing shti

think you're pushing your luck here.

Social source share

Hi Mark

I would go for some of those Motown / Funk Brothers tracks, the ones I play out at the moment are 'Shake Me Wake Me' & 'This Old Heart Of Mine'.

I have also been asked recently about doing a Detroit ONLY nighter! Any thoughts on that? Anyone?

Cheers

Paddy

====

well they theme nights at wigan didnt they ...motown nights etc...

Social source share

what would u put on

what d'ya reckon....

a few from me

Al Delory - Right on

Joey Dee & the Starlighters

Alfie Khan Orchestra

Mike Post Coallition

San Remo Strings

Steve

Social source share

no they're all fukcing shti

think you're pushing your luck here.

ha ha blush.gif

what would i put on? the best pair of ear defenders i could find, and then a deep sea divers helmet filled with noise-retarding foam.

soul's about the vocals.

PS let's not have another one of those, bari track is the greatest northern soul record ever, discussions everyone...just my opinion.)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

what would u put on

Ear muffs.

ha ha blush.gif

what would i put on? the best pair of ear defenders i could find, and then a deep sea divers helmet filled with noise-retarding foam.

soul's about the vocals.

PS let's not have another one of those, bari track is the greatest northern soul record ever, discussions everyone...just my opinion.)

Minds Mr C

Social source share

Joey Dee & the Starlighters

Alfie Khan Orchestra

Mike Post Coallition

San Remo Strings

Steve

-===

as is 'law of the land' and festival time??

some from me

cal green - johhny gone to vietnam

chaumonts - now uve gone

soul bros inc - didnt we

baltimore and ohio marching band - condition red

wendell parker - my loves on ration..

Social source share

Frank Foster " Harlem Rumble " or that one that Guy used to play " Michigan Move " they both do it for me.

======

good stafford one for me was ' detroit strings - in the pocket' another one i used to wet me pants over,,,sounded great at the time

crap ones from TOTW ,,, beachcomber on twirl and another keb on entitled 'you aint too cool' sorry keb awful

Social source share

At the risk of being shot down in flames quicker than Flight 93 I must admit to having something of a soft spot for Beachcomber. I don't necessarily think it has a place on the Northern Soul scene anymore and I'm not advocating that anybody play the thing in a nightclub, but as a piece of eccentric early 60s grooviness it's a good sound. Perfect for a cocktail party, I'd have thought.

The idea of an instrumental allnighter is an amusing one, but seems doomed to failure.

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

ha ha blush.gif

soul's about the vocals.how about the kettle and the telly and stay at home. :)

Social source share

no vocals just 8 hours full of northern instrumentals...what would u put on?

I'm a bit pissed off that Dan and In Town Mikey beat me to it with their replies of "Ear muffs" ! Aint you lads got work to do?

Andy D - that Frank Foster is one helluva beast of a tune. Also recall Guy DJing at a Manchester Ritz allnighter (circa mid 90s) opening with "Michigan Move" - I was seen cartwheeling across the dance floor, perspiring heavily whilst grinning stupidly. Mmm good job video mobile phones weren't invented then eh or else I'd have been on youtube by now.

All night instrumentals - just say no - so far we've had less than an hours worth flagged up.

Rose Batiste sure kicks bottom in our house.

onwards, derek

Social source share

A full nite of instrumentals sounds like a really bad idea an hour would be bad inuf,but if you were to do it russ could play all those shitty soussan made up discs,and you would have to have john vincent on.The detroit niter has already been done at sheridans.Imho of course wiganer :shades:

=====

yes andy

dont think it would go down too good wood it...

just laughing at the thought of it..lol

anyway a couple more from me

herbie mann - philly dog

mr bloe - land of 1000 dances

wind- groovin with mr bloe

dezro orchestra - witchhunt

smokey & blades - jerk baby jerk.. (even RS couldnt resist that one)

Social source share

A full nite of instrumentals sounds like a really bad idea an hour would be bad inuf,but if you were to do it russ could play all those shitty soussan made up discs,and you would have to have john vincent on.The detroit niter has already been done at sheridans.Imho of course wiganer :shades:

The Detroit thing did'nt really work either, good idea but themed nights can sometimes not catch the imagination, i'm with Andy on this one i think a whole night of instrumentals would be a disaster, think about it most of them are uptempo so imagine the state of the dance floor within twenty minutes....lol Although i still love 'Rat Race', 'Thumd A Ride' Duke Browner Inst etc. and no harm in the odd spin but not allnight.......oh almost forgot 'Interplay'.....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Isnt there an instrumental of the Professionals - T.W.I.L.Y?

Can't be any worse than the vocal.....can it?

Social source share

Soulful Strut - Young Holt

Bok To Bach - Fathers Angels

Festival Time - San Remo

Out To Lunch - Poets

Six By Six - Earl Van Dyke

California Montage - Young Holt

Wade In The Water - Ramsey Lewis

Time Is Tight - Booker T & MG's

Are the only 'Soul Instrumentals' I could ever even tolerate. But even those would be a bit monotonous all night long!

Social source share

Soulful Strut - Young Holt

Bok To Bach - Fathers Angels

Festival Time - San Remo

Out To Lunch - Poets

Six By Six - Earl Van Dyke

California Montage - Young Holt

Wade In The Water - Ramsey Lewis

Time Is Tight - Booker T & MG's

Are the only 'Soul Instrumentals' I could ever even tolerate. But even those would be a bit monotonous all night long!

The more I think about it and the more I listen to these instrumentals the more I think it's not that bad an idea. Perhaps not an Allnighter but certainly 8 til 2. Has it ever been done before?

Social source share

A record I've kept going back to over the last few years is The Music Makers instrumental version of The Intruders "United" on Gamble. An organ-led version which is to my ears far better than the vocal.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

what would u put on

what d'ya reckon....

a few from me

Al Delory - Right on

Bored shittless comes to mind, i like instrumentals, but hey a bit of variety helps, ie girl , male , group , beat ballads and so on.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I'm a bit pissed off that Dan and In Town Mikey beat me to it with their replies of "Ear muffs" ! Aint you lads got work to do?

Andy D - that Frank Foster is one helluva beast of a tune. Also recall Guy DJing at a Manchester Ritz allnighter (circa mid 90s) opening with "Michigan Move" - I was seen cartwheeling across the dance floor, perspiring heavily whilst grinning stupidly. Mmm good job video mobile phones weren't invented then eh or else I'd have been on youtube by now.

All night instrumentals - just say no - so far we've had less than an hours worth flagged up.

Rose Batiste sure kicks bottom in our house.

onwards, derek

Earl Van Dyke - All for You/ Nowhere to Run

And interesting to hear the tone drop-ins on the instrumental version of 'My Dear Heart'....only very faintly but they're there.....
:yes:
Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Bored shittless comes to mind, i like instrumentals, but hey a bit of variety helps, ie girl , male , group , beat ballads and so on.
I agree with you, Sheep.........i'd be
:yes::yes:
after 30 minutes.........maybe sooner.

Another one...Sidra's Theme......Jo

Social source share

A record I've kept going back to over the last few years is The Music Makers instrumental version of The Intruders "United" on Gamble. An organ-led version which is to my ears far better than the vocal.

:yes:
Good call Garethx

The Music Maker's were an embryonic MFSB.

Vince Montana

Bobby Eli

Ron Baker

Earl Young

Norman Harris

They were also responsible ('though not credited) for creating "The Horse"-Cliff Nobles.

As for "United" being better than The Intruders? Maybe for dancing .......oh don't get me started on The Intruders!
:yes::P

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

And there are eight hours worth of 'northern instrumentals' are there? Or were you speaking hypothetically? :yes:

What is it with you lot, can you not read? And stop going on and on about there not being enough instrumentals to fill 8 hours!!! And how it would drive you crazy not to hear a human voice on a slab of vinyl for more than an hour or so. Jazz fans do it all the time don't they? And there's a load of so-called Jazz fans out there amongst us R&B / Soul / Northern / Modern fans; at least that's what I keep hearing?

Anyhow, I asked earlier, "has it ever been done" from say 8 or 9pm to 1 or 2am? That's about 5 hours? Well, has it?

Surely, there are enough quality R&B / Soul / Northern Soul / Mod instrumentals to fill 5 hours very adequately? Don't ya'll think???

Social source share

What is it with you lot, can you not read? And stop going on and on about there not being enough instrumentals to fill 8 hours!!! And how it would drive you crazy not to hear a human voice on a slab of vinyl for more than an hour or so. Jazz fans do it all the time don't they? And there's a load of so-called Jazz fans out there amongst us R&B / Soul / Northern / Modern fans; at least that's what I keep hearing?

Anyhow, I asked earlier, "has it ever been done" from say 8 or 9pm to 1 or 2am? That's about 5 hours? Well, has it?

Surely, there are enough quality R&B / Soul / Northern Soul / Mod instrumentals to fill 5 hours very adequately? Don't ya'll think???

? jazz is predominately instrumental. northern soul isnt. and to answer your question - no i dont think its been done to fill 5 hours; yes and there maybe enough to do that but i for one wouldnt be there to listen to it.

Social source share

Calm down dear, It's only a hypothetical Instrumental All Niter thread ... :yes::yes::P

Social source share

Of course ther are instrumentals...then there is Exus Trek and Bari Track omg now this is a different kettle of fish.....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Must be 2 of the best northern instrumentals big boy, i'm liking the instru of Flirtations - Stronger Than Her Love & Funk Bros - Sweet Thing at the moment.

Alan

Social source share

Hi Mark

Cheers

Paddy

how about an all dayer all nighter :yes:

Social source share

Calm down dear, It's only a hypothetical Instrumental All Niter thread ... :yes::yes::P

True, but I happen to think it could work. But of course I am biased, I love instrumentals, as well as my R&B / Soul / Northern / Popcorn VOCALS.

On top of that, I'm posting from my favourite Pub in Stavanger, Norway, where I'm bored out of my skull and I've had a couple of N¸gne IPA's, a really strong Real Ale in a bottle from a Micro Brewery in Grimstad over toward Oslo. :P

Not long to go now. I'm back home for Easter on Thursday and I've got some nice venues and friends to meet lined up for at least Friday and Saturday night. Can't wait!!!

Social source share

True, but I happen to think it could work. But of course I am biased, I love instrumentals, as well as my R&B / Soul / Northern / Popcorn VOCALS.

On top of that, I'm posting from my favourite Pub in Stavanger, Norway, where I'm bored out of my skull and I've had a couple of N¸gne IPA's, a really strong Real Ale in a bottle from a Micro Brewery in Grimstad over toward Oslo. :yes:

Not long to go now. I'm back home for Easter on Thursday and I've got some nice venues and friends to meet lined up for at least Friday and Saturday night. Can't wait!!!

Hats off to you denbo :yes: Still don't know about an all instrumental all-nighter though ..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!