Simon Soussan Record List

post-1804-1144758867_thumb.jpgJust been in the loft sorting through some fanzines ,records etc , and found this record list from Simon Soussan July 1976 .This is famous for two reasons , Simon slagging off many of the scenes " names " , and also this was the list where his vocals to famous Northern Soul Instrumentals appeared for sale along side many other indemand sides masquerading as originals .Would be interested to hear if anyone on this forum actually sent for any of the records on the list and did they get anything back ? I remember buying The Flirtations at Wigan for £15 shortly before it was pressed in bulk .Interesting reading anyway , hope you all enjoy , Best ,Eddie

post-1804-1144758820_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Wow Eddie, 30 years ago, seems like only yesterday.

Must admit I bought at least half of those at the time (Anderson Bros, Sam Moultrie, Freddy Chavez etc) as I was deejaying a couple of times a week and this seemed like an excellent resource with excellent titles at the right price (about half a days wages).

Shame on me. :shades:

Loved the f*** Off Sam bit and the "Stammering Welsh" line.

Wicked man Simon. Wicked.

Thank god we've all grown up since then... ph34r.gif

Social source share

Wow Eddie, 30 years ago, seems like only yesterday.

Must admit I bought at least half of those at the time (Anderson Bros, Sam Moultrie, Freddy Chavez etc) as I was deejaying a couple of times a week and this seemed like an excellent resource with excellent titles at the right price (about half a days wages).

Shame on me. :shades:

Loved the f*** Off Sam bit and the "Stammering Welsh" line.

Wicked man Simon. Wicked.

Thank god we've all grown up since then... ph34r.gif

Thanks Sean , did you buy them direct from Soussan , or in the UK ? Hope you're well mate ,Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I was working for my local Record shop when all this lot came through and they ordered in quantity. I don't recall having any problems with delivery. We had two boxes of the Charades and couldn't give them away even when it was new! Of course the Joe Matthews, Ernest Moseley, Jades, George Blackwell, Flirtations etc. were huge sellers.

BTW: About time we exchanged tapes again Eddie. Please send me your addy.

All the best

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

post-1804-1144758867_thumb.jpgJust been in the loft sorting through some fanzines ,records etc , and found this record list from Simon Soussan July 1976 .This is famous for two reasons , Simon slagging off many of the scenes " names " , and also this was the list where his vocals to famous Northern Soul Instrumentals appeared for sale along side many other indemand sides masquerading as originals .Would be interested to hear if anyone on this forum actually sent for any of the records on the list and did they get anything back ? I remember buying The Flirtations at Wigan for £15 shortly before it was pressed in bulk .Interesting reading anyway , hope you all enjoy , Best ,Eddie

History indeed Eddie. I remember this well and I think there were one or two more lists like it? There was another list from USA that I remember as being just as vitriolic- was it from Martin Koppel?

These prompted a storm of recrimination including the infamous letters from Soul Sam that were published in B&S. Of course these never were written by Sam and I think Soussan was key suspect. Dave Godin jumped in somewhere too methinks and that's where his B&S column started to go a bit wrong.

These rivalries did much to discredit the scene and I remember friends into mainstream soul laughing at the futility of it all. They just wanted to dance - and so did I. Unfortunately, those attitudes and rivalries have never really completely gone away although this episode remains the lowest point.

As for the records, well, no I never bought any on this list. I was just out of school and prices were too high. I remember having a copy of Del Satins in my hand at Wigan once but changed my mind - it just didn't feel right and I have stuck to originals ever since (well, to my knowledge anyway!)

Good post - thanks,

John.

Were they all boots? Or were some of them originals?

Hadn't realised that some of these were booted.

TT

Some were boots, some didn't exist. I don't think any originals came from this list.

Social source share

Guest martyn

History indeed Eddie. I remember this well and I think there were one or two more lists like it? There was another list from USA that I remember as being just as vitriolic- was it from Martin Koppel?

These prompted a storm of recrimination including the infamous letters from Soul Sam that were published in B&S. Of course these never were written by Sam and I think Soussan was key suspect. Dave Godin jumped in somewhere too methinks and that's where his B&S column started to go a bit wrong.

These rivalries did much to discredit the scene and I remember friends into mainstream soul laughing at the futility of it all. They just wanted to dance - and so did I. Unfortunately, those attitudes and rivalries have never really completely gone away although this episode remains the lowest point.

As for the records, well, no I never bought any on this list. I was just out of school and prices were too high. I remember having a copy of Del Satins in my hand at Wigan once but changed my mind - it just didn't feel right and I have stuck to originals ever since (well, to my knowledge anyway!)

Good post - thanks,

John.

Some were boots, some didn't exist. I don't think any originals came from this list.

A mate of mine ordered some from his previous list,I still have a 'Renfro Orchestra' I bought from him.....Not sure,but I don't think the Kenny Smith he ordered from this list turned up(?).As you say,some boots,some didn't exist.

There was an article a week or so later in Black Echo's entitled "Oh Lord Whats Happening To The Soul Fox",which if I remember right included an interview with SS addressing some of his customers 'concerns', asking why he was selling the Gold Spot version of Oh Lord as opposed to the in-demand GAR version,(as the owner of both I can confirm that they are definatly different recording :yes: ).Without wishing to de-value my Gold Spot version,I have often wondered whether its a re-record done by SS,although popular opinion these days seems to belive its legit........Any thoughts?

Top post BTW :yes:

Edited by martyn
Social source share

A mate of mine ordered some from his previous list,I still have a 'Renfro Orchestra' I bought from him.....Not sure,but I don't think the Kenny Smith he ordered from this list turned up(?).As you say,some boots,some didn't exist.

There was an article a week or so later in Black Echo's entitled "Oh Lord Whats Happening To The Soul Fox",which if I remember right included an interview with SS addressing some of his customers 'concerns', asking why he was selling the Gold Spot version of Oh Lord as opposed to the in-demand GAR version,(as the owner of both I can confirm that they are definatly different recording :P ).Without wishing to de-value my Gold Spot version,I have often wondered whether its a re-record done by SS,although popular opinion these days seems to belive its legit........Any thoughts?

can remember getting a goldspot copy in the late ish 70,s seem to remember its a bit shorter than the gar ones that were booted, always thought until recently that they were re-issues of some sort as there appeared to be a few around and were easy to get, as for the charades vocal to mike post i had one of these on green vinyl, i played the vocal at home but didnt take to it, whilst out one night my mate flipped my copy over to play what he thought would be "afternoon" all was going well loads of folks dancing/spinning ect until about two thirds of the way through the pissing vocals start up :yes: and about half of the people on the dance floor stopped and stared blankly until the record had finished

:P Have to agree top post,

Social source share

martyn said:

Without wishing to de-value my Gold Spot version,I have often wondered whether its a re-record done by SS,although popular opinion these days seems to belive its legit........Any thoughts?

Very fascinating post.

I had been led to believe that the GoldSpot vers was the earlier release of the two and probably the rarer. Both versions were known and had been played out but as more DJ's had the GAR version it dominated. However, what the fek would I know about it as I was still in shorts at the time.

Personally, I prefer the GoldSpot version with the organ intro. 

Social source share

Guest martyn
Dezzie Boy said:

Very fascinating post. I had been led to believe that the GoldSpot vers was the earlier release of the two and probably the rarer. Both versions were known and had been played out but as more DJ's had the GAR version it dominated. However, what the fek would I know about it as I was still in shorts at the time. Personally, I prefer the GoldSpot version with the organ intro. 

. :yes:

Yes,this is the popular belief these days,seem to remember opinion being quite different at the time,which is why I picked my Gold Spot copy up for £2.00 at a Coalville nighter.....Anyone have a copy of that Black Echo's article?

Social source share

-=======

great stuff eddie

love reading stuff like this...

pick of the list for me is the eddie ray

seen one at peps shop around 95 for £12 and left it...........

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!