Donny Vs. Marvin

Dayo

Not rare soul, just a soul related thought:

Marvin Gaye, What's Going On.

Yes, I realise that Marvin's recording is a landmark in our music, a pinnacle of artistic excellence blah blah blah.

But...

It's just a feeling I can't shake; I actually prefer Donny Hathaway's version these days.

Might be shaking a few feathers in the Marvin is God camp, but it seems to me that Donny's version has aged far better. He out-sings Marvin, out-grooves him, and out-plays him (just listen to the keyboard solo's).

I can't imagine for a second that anyone will agree, but in case you haven't heard it lately, I'm throwing up a soundfile to remind you...

One thing I hope you do agree on; Donny Hathaway had neither the commercial success or plaudits that many far less talented musicians enjoyed.

Enjoy the track

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry Colin but you're right - can't beat Marvin's version although Donny does a very good turn, as you'd expect.

....Surely this one's actually beyond debate? Nothing against Donny Hathaway's version, I must admit, but better than Marvin? Is this an April Fool's Day joke that's somehow arrived two weeks' late?

TONE :wave:

PS: Must say that the Undisputed Truth's version ("Face To Face" album) is also really good, though. Better than Donny's, too...

Social source share

Hadn't heard Donny's version before, thanks for posting it, but must stick with Marvin as the best version. Still rate the album as the best soul album ever.

Quite enjoyed Donny Hathaway's version, never heard him sing it before, but do prefer Marvin's version. :wave:

post-4107-1144945207.gif

Social source share

Quite enjoyed Donny Hathaway's version, never heard him sing it before, but do prefer Marvin's version. :wave:

post-4107-1144945207.gif

Me too, although Donny Hathaway version was let down by the backing track to me - didn't sound spot on, almost too polished and not raw enough. That make sense?

Social source share

In the context of the whole ' Whats Going On ' LP - Marvin wins- the undisputed number one soul album for both content , style emotion and capturing a defining era in music , black or white. - But Donny's version still a contender . His best cut for me ?

I'll Love You More Than You'll Ever Know - Live or studio - Absolutley stunning soul .

Song For You also comes close.

Remember Bob Jones playing a trio of cuts in memory of fellow soulie / Dj CJ 's wife who sadly passed on. Song For You / William Bells - Forgot To be Your Lover plus one more I cant remember - Have to say three tear jerking cuts that really tugged the heart strings. Immense talent.

You cant help but feel what went thru both of these guys minds - drugs / suicide / deep personal troubles which sadly took away a mass of talent from us.

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Me too, although Donny Hathaway version was let down by the backing track to me - didn't sound spot on, almost too polished and not raw enough. That make sense?

No. Your comment is absolute rubbish. Along with several others you've made recently.

I'd suggest you listen to it again. Its a live track recorded in a basement, produced by Jerry Wexler & Arif Mardin in '71. If that sounds too polished & not raw enough for you then frankly you must have cloth ears.

On the sleeve notes Aretha Franklin comments "the baddest new sound on the scene"

I think she's right, you're wrong.

Col.

Social source share

Very different records, aren't they, so it's hard to say which is best. Of their kind they are both excellent. The Donny Hathaway reminds me a bit of 70s Blue Note Soul Jazz. It has more than a couple of things in Common with Bobby Humphrey's 'Harlem River Drive.'

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

I play both guitar and saxophones and whats going on has allways remained to me as the finest Album ever recorded. Its never wained or become tedious in anyway .To me its as fresh and relevant as the first time i heard it, and has allways been a pleasure to unwind to musically!

And i agree with Rich on I'll love you more than you'll ever know!Stunning vocal,

Donny Stands up and makes this version his in his own way you have to respect it ,Its a quality version and ime glad he cut it and did such a good cover of Marvins masterpiece!

Thanks for the Soul Both Dearly missed but never forgotten!

Social source share

What would REALLY DO MY HEAD IN is if Will Young decided to cover it!

Anyone doing this tune on X Factor or Stars in there eyes would Fu88ing win it!! But it would be CRIMINAL!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!