The Best 57p I've Ever Spent

Guest NASHEE

• Replies 59
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anyone else got any gems for under a quid ???????

I BOUGHT ALEXANDER PATTON - LIL LOVIN' SOMETIMES FROM "J & BW'S" RECORD SHOP ON LONDON ROAD, SHEFFIELD IN 1972 FOR 30P (ON BRITISH CAPITOL), IF THATS ANY GOOD
Social source share

I BOUGHT ALEXANDER PATTON - LIL LOVIN' SOMETIMES FROM "J & BW'S" RECORD SHOP ON LONDON ROAD, SHEFFIELD IN 1972 FOR 30P (ON BRITISH CAPITOL), IF THATS ANY GOOD

MIND YOU, IT WAS A MONTHS WAGES!

Social source share

Timi Yuro "It'll Never Be Over For Me" UK Liberty 50p

Jimmy Radcliffe "Long After Tonight Is All Over" UK Stateside 50p

Both from the same seller at a boot sale

Social source share

Guest Dodger

One pence over budget but I've just bought a pack of razor blades in Poundland to slash my wrists after listening to this. Do people really like this kind of music?

Sorry, no offence intended, but this is truly awful.

Social source share

One pence over budget but I've just bought a pack of razor blades in Poundland to slash my wrists after listening to this. Do people really like this kind of music?

I much prefer Gladys Knight doing it, but I still like this record.

Does anyone have a soundfile of Gladys Knight? haven't heard it for years.

Social source share

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You (Decca) 30p (junk shop in Highgate, 1986)

Jimmy James - This Heart Of Mine (Piccadilly) 50p (London market, 2002)

Jimmy Ruffin - The Jimmy Ruffin Way (Tamla Motown MONO LP) 50p (boot fair in Suffolk, 2005)

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Yes my friend...I'm afraid some of us do like this type of thing. :wave:

I don't get offended that easily

But life would be pretty boring if we were all chasing the same thing...and records a hell of a lot more expensive too.

As for the razors...Pills are a far easier option...much less cleaning up for those loved ones left behind.

Social source share

Yes my friend...I'm afraid some of us do like this type of thing. :wave:

But life would be pretty boring if we were all chasing the same thing...and records a hell of a lot more expensive too.

As for the razors...Pills are a far easier option...much less cleaning up for those loved ones left behind.

I've been playing it continuously since I downloaded it. Thanks a lot. But I do need to hear the Gladys Knight to compare them. What difference does it make? I wonder how many versions there are of this bitter sweet song?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

I've been playing it continuously since I downloaded it. Thanks a lot. But I do need to hear the Gladys Knight to compare them. What difference does it make? I wonder how many versions there are of this bitter sweet song?

To be truthfull Billy, I've never heard the Glady's Knight one...I'm looking forward to someone posting it as I love her voice and would imagine it to be a great version.

I Can't help loving the Teri Thornton tho :wave:

Social source share

Jon Ford - You've Got Me Where You Want Me - Phillips - 50p

Barbara Mason - Yes I'm Ready / Keep Him - London Demo - 50p

Dee Dee Sharp - Standing in The Need of Love - Cameo Parkway Demo - 50p

Incredibles - Theres Nothing Else To Say Baby - Stateside Demo - 50p

O'Jays - I Dig Your act - Stateside Demo - 50p

All from Sheffield in 1977.

There were others I don't recall off hand but then the guy charged me £2.00 for PP Arnold "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" on Immediate... because he thought that was a rare one!

Happy days!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Yes my friend...I'm afraid some of us do like this type of thing. :lol:

I think it's always best to apologise when passing negative comment on tracks that people have taken the time to post up as I've known people take it as a personal insult - the majority are sensible enough to realise that not all comments are going to be positive - but some aren't!! :wave::lol: But this kind of tune leaves me totally cold, which I'm sure would be the same reaction from many if I posted up some of the new things I love. Hey ho, vive la difference and all that. :wave:

The pills would have cost me £2.89 and I tried to keep it under a quid. :lol:

Haven't bought sevens for a number of years now but the last result I had was a couple of copies of Midnight 'Keep On Walking By' given to me about 5 or 6 years ago for nowt in amongst a bag of old jukebox sevens. Which was nice.

Roger

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Just think what we have sold,I went to Sams with a hand full of mint Okey, singles,Too late,&Sandi Sheldon,The most I got was £2.50p and that was for,Too Late,with a picture cover.

Kev.

£

Lets not :wave: All we'll all be needing pills and razor blades :wave:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i think this thread would be a lot more interesting if we kept to 'recent' bargains like the first post for example.

just a thought.

i am sure many could post how cheap records were 30 years ago.

thanks linda. i like the ballad btw :wave:

Shane

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Found it. Here we have for comparison purposes Gladys Knight & The Pips. What do think Miss Popcorn?

Her vocals are superb as usual...not too happy with the pips backing....all in all it's a little deep for me.

Ted says its loads better than that Teri Thornton shite....Now you know why I don't get offended easily... :lol:

Social source share

Back in the 70's most northern soul fans were able to walk into a record shop and usually find something or other for 20p, the term northern soul was not know amonst the general public, when looking for british items, used to just say, do you have anything unknown. The finds back them were numerious, far to many to mention, billy harner instr, john ford demo, where do you stop. On the american side turned up a fasinators on bombay for 35p.

SHEEP

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I don't think i have got anything like you lot always end up buying for say £5 or more however dad got Pointer Sisters - Send Him Back for £1 and worth £60 according to Northern soul top 500 same label and everything not bad buy.

Social source share

The best 50 pence i spent was at a memorabila fair about 4 years ago,i picked up a copy of,

"Roosevelt Mathews-You got me diggin`you/Tightin up-King Issue",

which i then traded a couple of years latter to a guy in the states for a copy of the

"Hamilton Movement-She`s gone-Look Out",as the guy wanted the "RM" for the Funk side "Tightin up",

so you could say the "HM" cost me 50 pence :wicked:

Dave f................

ps

A few weekends ago at a car boot

plcked up the "Dells-Your song-20 Cent 12" promo"

for 50 pence,well someone had to buy it :D:wicked::wicked:

Social source share

Bradleys record shop, Doncaster in the early 80s had an upstairs LP section. In one corner they had somehow got 100s of deleted US stuff including the Frank Dell and Free Angela LPs for 99p. They sold well at the KGB Sheffield for a little more.

Ed

Got a UK Nancy Wilson Capitol album 1965 at the weekend with " Reach out for me " on , slightly over budget , but only a quid !! Very pleased , did this ever come out on a 45 ? Except in France as an EP .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Either Way I lose???

Either way you lost 57p in my opinion!

If only you'd had another 43p, Miss Popcorn, you could have gone to Poundland with Roger. That's where he buys all his new tunes.

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Either Way I lose???

If only you'd had another 43p, Miss Popcorn, you could have gone to Poundland with Roger. That's where he buys all his new tunes.

Paul Mooney

mmmmmm....How did I lose? I paid 57p for a record that I really love. I don't see that as any loss.

I'd have been pretty gutted tho, had it arrived. and been a stomper or some 70's tune...now that would have been 57p down the drain

I don't know which Roger you're refering to..so I can't really comment

best regards

Linda

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Really getting to love this Teri Thornton. I wonder how many of the other 168 members who downloaded it like it.

I'm glad youre enjoying the song

When I uploaded it Billy, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea....now I'm damn sure it isn't.

I foolishly thought that It would be in the intrest of this group, if people with slightly different tastes up loaded songs for others to hear.

Some of the stuff I love now..I would never have heard if it hadn't been for tape swapping in my early days on the scene. and in recent years...file sharing

I still love the well known northern soul suff , but my greatest love has always been to hear tunes that I've never heard before.

If a person sends me something that I like...I tll them I like it... If I don't much care for it...then just say..It's not my cup of tea...after all I wouldn't like the person to stop sending the files...that would be like cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Social source share

mmmmmm....How did I lose? I paid 57p for a record that I really love. I don't see that as any loss.

I'd have been pretty gutted tho, had it arrived. and been a stomper or some 70's tune...now that would have been 57p down the drain

I don't know which Roger you're refering to..so I can't really comment

best regards

Linda

It was just a joke, Miss Popcorn, and I'm glad you like the track.

And I was referring to the Roger who buys all his stuff from Poundland. His friends call him "Poundland Roger".

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Nice ballad that :(

Do you like her Molly Marlene Nashee, quite sleezy and sugestive but great all the same :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

It was just a joke, Miss Popcorn, and I'm glad you like the track.

And I was referring to the Roger who buys all his stuff from Poundland. His friends call him "Poundland Roger".

:(

Paul Mooney

I know Paul...I'm pretty thick skinned about the stuff I like...I have to be. :yes:

poundland roger...sounds like a bloody racehorse :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Nice ballad that :(

Do you like her Molly Marlene Nashee, quite sleezy and sugestive but great all the same :thumbsup:

I don't know it Baz. any chance of a soundfile?

I've heard some of her other stuff..a lot of it is much too teen for me tho.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Either Way I lose???

:yes:

Paul Mooney

No, I get all my new tunes from Doun(loa)dland. :thumbsup:

Paul, you've never lived until you've done the 'see what you can get for a tenner' Poundland challenge, ask Paul Sutton and Miles Eastwick for instructions!! :wicked:

Roger

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!