Gladys Knight

• Replies 48
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

GK is my Queen Of Soul. I love her voice,for the best part of 40 years she's churned out quality.From 'Walk In My Shoes' to 'When You're Far Away' 'Save The The Overtime' 'Landlord' even her chart stuff 'Rainy Night In Georgia' etc still get's the hairs on my neck standing up :lol:

Social source share

My fave Gladys track has always been "What good am i without you" ...awesome LP track from feelin Bluesy....I saw her live in Vegas a couple of years ago, the show was a bit...ok a lot cheesy but to see her singing "neither one of us (wants to be the first to say goodbye)" was worth the admiossion price alone.....

Chris

Social source share

I saw her live in Vegas a couple of years ago too!

I thought she was incredible... and so was the chicken in the basket! :lol:

Like you I just loved "Neither One Of Us" but when she sang "Please Help Me I'm Falling" from the "At Last" album I was totally slain.

Great performance... and after all these years too.

One very classy lady.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

On the master cd Marvin Gaye there is a version of Grapevine Which was a release on Gladys first of which her and Marvin do an Excellent version of Marvins.

After that Gladys in the UK in the summer tickets already booked.

songs

It should have been me

Midnight train to Georgia

No One Could love you more

Good Lovin Aint Easy

Take me in Your Arms and Love me

Walk in my Shoes

A few to add to the list

Doug

:lol::D

Social source share

Guest studmeister

I saw her live in Vegas a couple of years ago, the show was a bit...ok a lot cheesy but to see her singing "neither one of us (wants to be the first to say goodbye)" was worth the admiossion price alone.....

Chris

I remember seeing her at a venue in Meanwood, Leeds (anybody from Leeds remember the name of the old variety club there?) very early 70s. Great night. Hung around afterwards to meet Gladys and the Pips. My friend Steve asked me to take a picture of him with Gladys. Unfortunately the picture came out pretty blurred and I do think Steve has ever forgiven me.

My number one Gladys Knight track has to be "No one could love you more"

Andy

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I remember seeing her at a venue in Meanwood, Leeds (anybody from Leeds remember the name of the old variety club there?) very early 70s.

Andy

Cats Whiskers ?

Social source share

Cats Whiskers ?

Yes it was, they use to run the Inter city soul club alldayers (Kojack) there in the mid 70s, Me and a mate went to see Toots and the Maytals there in 73 we were the only white faces in there but had a great night. It had a reputation for a good! punch up on saturday nights. I didn't appreciate what a great talent Gladys was back then :rolleyes: I'd be first in the queue if she came to a small club in leeds now (cant make Manchester :angry: )

BH

Social source share

Guest studmeister

Cats Whiskers ?

Thanks! Just couldn't remember the name of it. Think I saw the Detroit Emeralds there are well - now there's a group that sound better on vinyl than they did live.

Andy

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Miss Popcorn's posting of Either Way I lose by Teri Thornton has got me listening to Gladys Knight. She really is a superb singer. What Gladys tunes get you buzzing?

Gladys at her best? In three words - "Everybody Needs Love". Also like "Queen Of Tears" on Vee Jay very much. Uptempo-wise, "Save The Overtime For Me" on Columbia is a particularly great later one.

Gladys at her worst? "The Way We Were", a dreadful song that not even she could make redeemable!

TONE :rolleyes:

Social source share

Gladys Knight1749.jpg

Hall Of Famer announces UK datesPosted on 09 Mar 2006

Legendary R&B vocalist Gladys Knight will play a string of UK dates this summer.

Now in her 50th year as an entertainer and recently inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Gladys continues to perform with the strong voice and spirit that made her songs huge hits that are remembered all over the world. 30 Jun Birmingham Symphony Hall

01 Jul London Royal Albert Hall

05 Jul Manchester Apollo

06 Jul Nottingham Royal Centre

:thumbsup::rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest janey

Too many to mention..but a real classy song is

'It's Gonna Take All Our Love' from the 'All Our Love' album..1988

Is the female take of Sam Dees' classic 'After All'

Regards

Barry

Stop And Get A Hold Of Myself......closely followed by.....

No One Could Love You More.........closely followed by.....

It's Too Late For You And Me a.k.a. It's Never Too Late

Everyone a gem :rolleyes:

Regards....Janey

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

The title of this topic gave me a scare-I thought she'd died when I read it!

"Tell her you're mine" is my favourite, but I'm partial to anything by her & the Pips. I can even enjoy "License to kill" after a few cinzanos.

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

A few weeks back, we had a thread on the greatest male soul singer ever.

Well if we have one on the greatest FEMALE soul singer, then it's Aretha who is absolutely on another planet, but behind Aretha , it's Gladys Knight all on her own and then all the rest.

GLADYS KNIGHT is the only female soul singer that could come anywhere near Aretha, especially in the sense of being able to tackle all the various styles of Soul RnB and Pop, whether slow , mid or uptempo, Gladys could do it all ! Brill !

:D

Social source share

Guest soultempo

Too many great tunes by her to mention,

but for me personally one of my fav' GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS LPs has to be her STANDING OVATION 1971 set.

IT TAKES A WHOLE LOTTA MAN (FOR A WOMAN LIKE ME) always gets a dance floor reaction & gets the tongues wagging, so to speak ! :D

A very popular requested radio track too ...

A top notch, 70s modern soul / crossover dancer, for me ! :D

An endless choice of possibilities ...

regards, Shaun.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Has to be The Stranger which was Lp only.The Marvelettes also did a version which is also Lp only > superb tune.

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Gladys_Knig..._-_Stranger.ram

I agree with you and Ian. The Stranger is a gem but my fave is one of Janey's faves.

its too late for love.

Memories of Dave T at the top of the world. Not only one of her best, one of Stafford's too IMO.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

She is soul sister number one. I mean, she kept the vibe going long after Aretha had gone trashy. Even her disco outings ooze class (Bourgie Bourgie etc)

And her best? The sublime, Walk in my shoes.

Let's not forget the contribution made by her fantastic backing singers - the Pips. They were no journeymen.

Please get to see her if you ever get the chance. Great to see so many share my love of the great Gladys!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

She was wonderfull no doubt. Must say though her live show at the Flamingo, Las Vegas is poor to what it should be. Loads of hanger ons if you know what I mean. Midnight train to Georgia has it all vocally.

Ed

Does anyone remember in Viz, the cartoon where a guy is on a payphone, with a group of black guys walking past singing Midnight Train To Georgia. He is telling the person on the other end.

There goes the pips. :)

Social source share

Does anyone remember in Viz, the cartoon where a guy is on a payphone, with a group of black guys walking past singing Midnight Train To Georgia. He is telling the person on the other end.

There goes the pips. rolleyes.gif

============

Yep, there was also a cartoon in Viz a few years ago, showing a modern day club, and somewhere in the pic was a toon of a guy, which had one of those bubbles over it, saying something like, middle aged man who still thinks dancing northern is popular :)

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest the dukester

No one could love you more...... personally I think its awesome

EVERYDAY I LOVE YOU MORE & MORE.....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :wicked:

NO NOT YOU............... THE TUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by the dukester
Social source share

Guest Rowly

What a sublime Voice.... Fanfuckintastic!

Fave tracks.... Grapevine, No one could love you more, If you ever get your Hands on Love, Here are the Pieces of My Broken Heart.... :wicked:

Social source share

Giving Up from 1964 is a great record. But in the same year the Ad-Libs did another version of this great Van McCoy song. Here is Gladys (Although this is the Vee-Jay and not the Maxx release). Does anybody have a soundfile of the Ad-Libs?

Being a dick I file them by Label, purple one isn't it? Check out the Hairy Diamods

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!